• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bit.Trip Saga (3DS) and Complete (Wii) |OT| of T minus 1-Day and Zero Hype

mantidor said:
am I crazy that this is becoming the main reason to buy a 3DS for me? I'm seriously considering it.
Not crazy IMO. You know what you like, and if any given system has the game(s) you like/want, then it is what it is.

d0c_zaius

I dont think anyone is going to see this game in retail stores for a couple of days.

Dunno why aksys has problems like this. The same thing happened with Blazblue 3DS.

edit: maybe not as some stores are reporting receiving it today

Wolfe

d0c_zaius said:
I dont think anyone is going to see this game in retail stores for a couple of days.

Dunno why aksys has problems like this. The same thing happened with Blazblue 3DS.

edit: maybe not as some stores are reporting receiving it today

Any particular ones? I still haven't had any luck.

d0c_zaius

Wolfe said:
Any particular ones? I still haven't had any luck.

do a search for gamestop stores in your area and some have it, some don't.

Unfortunately for me, all the stores getting it are like 20+ miles away.

Glix

I picked this up at Gamestop on my lunch break.

Portable Bit.Trip is freaking awesome, but the performance in 3D mode is AWFUL, and frankly, this engine can't be very taxing on the hardware, and there is NO EXCUSE for lazy programming.

Most of the games are completely unplayable in 3D

Also the paddle games are completely unplayable with the slide pad, it is not calibrated correctly and there is no options menu to fix it.

I am extremely disappointed with Gaijin and Aksys. EXTREMELY.

Glix said:

Portable Bit.Trip is freaking awesome, but the performance in 3D mode is AWFUL, and frankly, this engine can't be very taxing on the hardware, and there is NO EXCUSE for lazy programming.

Also the paddle games are completely unplayable with the slide pad, it is not calibrated correctly and there is no options menu to fix it.

why, I so wanted to get this and play it in 3D, would have been so trippy :((

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Glix said:

Jesus... Wii version it is.

backlot

Glix said:

Wow, that sucks. The Destructoid review made it seem pretty good. Has anyone else managed to get a hold of this yet?

Shiggy

Glix said:

You can absolutely blame them for a lack of quality assurance, but please note that it was ported by someone else whose name I just forgot.

Glix

walking fiend said:
why, I so wanted to get this and play it in 3D, would have been so trippy :((

You can. Its just not smooth, at all. There is no slowdown, but there is judder, or maybe it is called something else. I found Core to be impossible with 3D on.

Also, in runner, at the top of the screen, where it says HYPER, or whatever mode you are in, it almost seems like the 3D is WRONG. Like they programmed it wrong or something, its out of 3D focus and extremely difficult to look at. (I play all my 3DS games except Pilotwings with the 3D all the way up, and I never have any issues with anything else)

I'm super disappointed. Again, I can't imagine that the 3DS cannot handle these games in 3D.

40 bucks was a lot for this, but I love supporting Gaijin, but not anymore.

This is the kind of shit I expect from the big pubs, not from little pubs and devs trying to make a name for themselves.

To address the post above... I absolutely DO blame them. This is their baby, and if you want to farm it out to whoever will port it for the least money, then you reap what you sow.

Glix said:

Can't you use the gyroscope on the 3DS to control the paddle?

Well that just sucks, Nintendo should release a new co-processor attachment for 3DS so that more games can run at decent framerates in 3D.

gururoji

Glix said:

Hmm, now I want to see other reviews--Destructoid said the 3D wasn't great in Runner and maybe one other, but they didn't mention performance issues.

I swear they said that there were multiple control schemes for the ones that now have slide pad support too? Touch screen controls?

Waiting for other impressions...

Wolfe

Guess I'll hold out for some more reviews, I was not planning on playing this without 3D on (I don't play any of my 3DS games without 3D).

Glix

Famassu said:
Don't use a stylus, then?

Why don't you read all the posts. The circle pad is literally impossible. It SHOOTS from the bottom to the top of the screen, it almost doesn't even seem analog. Even if I apply just a tiny bit of pressure, it SHOOTS down or up, I miss every ball/dot/whatever.

Well that just sucks, Nintendo should release a new co-processor attachment for 3DS so that more games can run at decent framerates in 3D.
Nintendo should release a new pan so developers can hit them on their heads with it.

Famassu

Glix said:
Why don't you read all the posts. The circle pad is literally impossible. It SHOOTS from the bottom to the top of the screen, it almost doesn't even seem analog. Even if I apply just a tiny bit of pressure, it SHOOTS down or up, I miss every ball/dot/whatever.
Why don't you try to understand what people are saying? You don't need a stylus to use the touch screen.

I tried both versions a couple of months ago and yes, 3D felt sluggish. I only could try RUNNER and BEAT, but both felt somehow slower with 3D turned on... It's not "unplayable" by any means, but it isn't ideal either.

On the other hand, I'll be buying COMPLETE day one without a doubt. Soundtrack CD? Check. Awesome challenges? Check. Leaderboards? Check. Some extra stuff I don't even care about? Check. Of course I'll miss portability, but I just can't say no to those challenges... And I'll probably buy the games in Steam when they're on sale, too :lol

Man, BIT.TRIP is my drug. I had never before considered double-dipping, but I wold even buy the 3DS version once it's cheap enough.

EDIT: I have to agree with Glix Re:Circle Pad. It was really horrible in BEAT, but on the other hand the touch controls are perfect.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
IndieJones said:
The Gamestop near my house hasn't even heard of the game. It's not in their systems. It's not on their list of shipments. It might as well not even exist. Same with Best buy. The BB guy pretty much said "BUH?" when I asked about the game.

Canada, BTW. Fuck, how many 3DS games are there that I don't even know about because GS/BB only stock seven games? My fault for not shopping online, but Amazon.ca is terrible.
I never ever go to Best Buy (unless it's around Toronto... though I've noticed a certain store in the GTA is pretty decent about stocking niche games sometimes) for niche games. Ever. They don't usually stock them.

My local EB is pretty decent because the manager knows about a lot niche titles and tells me whether or not they're in the database. Bit.Trip Saga/Complete was not in the db when I went to preorder them a few weeks ago (Tales of the Abyss 3DS wasn't in the db until a few weeks ago as well), which was surprising since it was going to release in a few weeks. So that's why I went with Amazon instead. Amazon.ca sucks, but at least I'll get my game (even though it'll take a while to get here.)

I love Aksys a lot, but sometimes it's difficult to get ahold of their games here. I had to import 999 from the States, as a recent example (luckily I don't have issues with Fate/Extra since it's on Amazon.ca, but I'm a bit concerned about Hakuouki). So easy to get BlazBlue here, but harder to get some of the niche stuff.

Glix

Famassu said:
Why don't you try to understand what people are saying? You don't need a stylus to use the touch screen.

You want me to use my finger? Really?

Go get the game and try that and report back to me. Its like using your finger for Phantom Hourglass.

Shit. Very disappointing impressions from Glix... considering canceling my Amazon preorder.

But I don't want the Wii version. If it's not portable, then I know there's no chance I'll play it :(

Does it at least run perfect with 3D off?

I don't understand why they didn't implement tilt controls. The 3D effect doesn't break when you tilt the system vertically, it only break when you tilt left and right. Besides, if the 3D cause an issue it can disabled.

Glix

Naked Snake said:
Shit. Very disappointing impressions from Glix... considering canceling my Amazon preorder.

But I don't want the Wii version. If it's not portable, then I know there's no chance I'll play it :(

I would like to remind that in 2D the games are awesome and everything you would expect.

They just suck in 3D, and if you're like me, and you don't like using the stylus for paddle games, then the circle pad is a nightmare. Those are the two big issues.

Famassu

Dark Schala said:
I never ever go to Best Buy (unless it's around Toronto... though I've noticed a certain store in the GTA is pretty decent about stocking niche games sometimes) for niche games. Ever. They don't usually stock them.

My local EB is pretty decent because the manager knows about a lot niche titles and tells me whether or not they're in the database. Bit.Trip Saga/Complete was not in the db when I went to preorder them a few weeks ago (Tales of the Abyss 3DS wasn't in the db until a few weeks ago as well), which was surprising since it was going to release in a few weeks. So that's why I went with Amazon instead. Amazon.ca sucks, but at least I'll get my game (even though it'll take a while to get here.)

I love Aksys a lot, but sometimes it's difficult to get ahold of their games here. I had to import 999 from the States, as a recent example (luckily I don't have issues with Fate/Extra since it's on Amazon.ca, but I'm a bit concerned about Hakuouki). So easy to get BlazBlue here, but harder to get some of the niche stuff.
Why don't you use Videogamesplus? They are the best online retailer for Europeans to import niche titles from North America/Canada. I've never had a problem with them and they pretty much always have even the most niche Aksys/XSeed/Atlus games, often years after release. They had 999, they'll have Bit.Trip Saga (though, they show September 20th as the release date)

Glix said:
You want me to use my finger? Really?
Why not? It won't break it and the touch screen works well with fingers too, at least for me.

Go get the game and try that and report back to me. Its like using your finger for Phantom Hourglass.
Well, at least for Bit.Trip Beat, you move the pad up & down, that's hardly as complex as what you need to do in Phantom Hourglass...

But sure, I will try it and I'll report back to you...

...as soon as the game is released in Europe :(

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Yes! I've been waiting for this to hit since I first heard of it. I love love LOVE the Bit.Trip series; for me, easily the best DD game series this generation.

While the extra content in COMPLETE sounds neat, the ability to play super-trippy-headphone-3D FLUX on the go is irresistible.

By the way when are they hitting Europe?

Glix said:
I would like to remind that in 2D the games are awesome and everything you would expect.

They just suck in 3D, and if you're like me, and you don't like using the stylus for paddle games, then the circle pad is a nightmare. Those are the two big issues.

Yeah I guess at least they run perfect in 2D... it's strange that Destructoid didn't mention slowdown or judder issues with the 3D, their writeup is a little confusing though:

The other big new feature here is the graphics. Of course, the games are presented with glasses-free 3D, and it looks great. Personally, I found that the 3D effect looked best on the more simple games, like BEAT, CORE, VOID, and FLUX. That's not to say that these games have less complex visuals. FLUX is probably the most visually robust game in the series, which is saying a lot. Some of the backgrounds there could give Child of Eden a run for its money. They are totally mind-blowing, especially in 3D.

No, the reason that the 3D seemed to work best for these games is that for the most part, they only apply the 3D feature to large geometric shapes. The 3D seems to get a little borked when very small objects are engaged in very fast animations. This happens a little bit in FATE, but it's a constant issue with RUNNER, and I'm not sure if there is anything that could be done about it. Glasses-free 3D works by displaying two images on-screen at once; one seen by your left eye, and one is seen by your right. That causes the screen as a whole to be a little faded, and with small, fast moving objects, potentially a little blurry. Also, when you turn the 3D slider on in RUNNER, it mysteriously moves the player character forward a little bit on the screen. That doesn't really affect the gameplay, but it is a fun little detail that may surprise fans of the original

gururoji

My initial response to these 2 versions was that I'd grab the 3DS one and if I really liked it (I've hardly played the Bit Trip series thus far) that I'd double dip on the Wii one later...

...but now it seems better to do the exact opposite.

If either one of these existed and not the other I probably would have bought it already. Sad to say it but it's true.

Wanted to get this for the 3DS but after reading that the port is terribad, gonna go with the Wii version. WAY more content for the money, AND the soundtrack CD too? Definitive version confirmed.

Glix

The other big new feature here is the graphics. Of course, the games are presented with glasses-free 3D, and it looks great. Personally, I found that the 3D effect looked best on the more simple games, like BEAT, CORE, VOID, and FLUX. That's not to say that these games have less complex visuals. FLUX is probably the most visually robust game in the series, which is saying a lot. Some of the backgrounds there could give Child of Eden a run for its money. They are totally mind-blowing, especially in 3D.

No, the reason that the 3D seemed to work best for these games is that for the most part, they only apply the 3D feature to large geometric shapes. The 3D seems to get a little borked when very small objects are engaged in very fast animations. This happens a little bit in FATE, but it's a constant issue with RUNNER, and I'm not sure if there is anything that could be done about it. Glasses-free 3D works by displaying two images on-screen at once; one seen by your left eye, and one is seen by your right. That causes the screen as a whole to be a little faded, and with small, fast moving objects, potentially a little blurry. Also, when you turn the 3D slider on in RUNNER, it mysteriously moves the player character forward a little bit on the screen. That doesn't really affect the gameplay, but it is a fun little detail that may surprise fans of the original

Ok, wow, I have a few issues with this. First and foremost, you shouldn't be writing up 3DS games, if you can't understand the fact that turning on 3D is always going to make the FOV wider, just by its very nature. That is why runner moves forward a little when you turn it on. This was discussed on GAF way before the 3DS even launched.

Secondly, he is right about small objects blurring in Runner, but that is NOT the problem. I figured out the issue with the word HYPER on the top of the screen. It's WAAAAAAAYYYYY too close to you on the 3D plane. I can focus on it, but then EVERYTHING else on the screen is out of focus. Its like whomever ported this didn't have a 3D screen and was just coding it on a PC or something. No one would purposely make it the way it is. That leads me to believe that any issues with blurring objects just has to do with them not being at the correct depth to focus on properly.

Glix, if stylus gives your hand cramps and the circle pad control sucks, you might want to try and get a DS thumb strap. I think it would work well. It came with the original DS phat (I still have mine), and has a rounded plastic tip than you put around your thumb and slide it on the touchscreen like a stylus.

You can probably order one from Nintendo's online store, or even ebay.

ds_embed006.jpg
3371.jpg
Thumby+in+action.jpg

Glix

Naked Snake said:
Glix, if stylus gives your hand cramps and the circle pad control sucks, you might want to try and get a DS thumb strap. I think it would work well. It came with the original DS phat (I still have mine), and has a rounded plastic tip than you put around your thumb and slide it on the touchscreen like a stylus.

You can probably order one from Nintendo's online store, or even ebay.

ds_embed006.jpg
3371.jpg
Thumby+in+action.jpg

Heh, I remember trying to use that for Mario64 and Ridge Racer DS.... (cries)

But yes, it would be good for this!

Futureman

Hmm, this really sucks to be honest, I was really looking forward to playing these games in 3D.

Is it possible to put the 3D slider at like 10% for less distracting 3D issues?

I was also planning on waiting til the 3DS version hit at least $30, but it sounds like this is a very limited run and we may never see that.

Glix

Futureman said:
Hmm, this really sucks to be honest, I was really looking forward to playing these games in 3D.

Is it possible to put the 3D slider at like 10% for less distracting 3D issues?

I was also planning on waiting til the 3DS version hit at least $30, but it sounds like this is a very limited run and we may never see that.

It's like the fighting games. If 3D is engaged at all, the framerate gets halved. Its VERY noticeable, and makes the games more difficult in a bad way. The games are just so timing based, its frustrating.

NintendoLife review of COMPLETE: http://wii.nintendolife.com/reviews/2011/09/bittrip_complete_wii

NintendoLife said:
It would have been amazing enough just to be able to own all six BIT.TRIP titles on one Wii disc, but getting 20 new challenges per game, not to mention a wealth of bonus content, makes this the definitive collection of BIT.TRIP goodness. If you're even remotely a fan of these games, there is absolutely no reason whatsoever for you not to spring for this amazing compilation. BIT.TRIP COMPLETE truly lives up to its name and is a fitting tribute to one of the most unique and engaging video game series ever created.

9/10

It's such a shame that the 3DS port didn't get the same amount of care as the Wii one.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Wow, I'm hyped for this. Why am I hyped for six games I've already played.

Probably because taken together they're easily one of the best gaming experiences of the generation. I love the Destructoid comparison to a concept album.

Doorman

Since it seems at least one person in here has Saga, I have a couple of quick questions. I'm curious enough about this series (only got Beat, way back in the day, and never got beyond one of the early segments in Growth) that I want to give this a run, though I'm still debating with myself over which rendition to pick up.

Anyway, I've heard that Fate was originally controlled using the pointer and nunchuk for movement. Sounds very Sin and Punishment-esque, but now do those controls translate onto the 3DS? The best I've been able to figure is using the lower screen to direct aiming, slide pad for movement, and the L button to fire a la Kid Icarus. In which case I guess my trepidation is the same as it is in that game, I just can't imagine this being very precise and comfortable to hold for very long at all.

Second, regarding Void...I'm willing to bet that youtube video quality does it no favors, but it seems to me like the background gets so damn dark at times that it becomes pretty well impossible to see the black beats at all and I don't want to have to play based on total guesswork. Is this problem somewhat mitigated when you're playing on an actual television? Is the game still sufficiently visible on the 3DS screen (even if the 3-D itself isn't active)?

I keep wavering back and forth over which version I'd rather take, as I'm not gonna double-dip on this at the moment.

Glix

Doorman said:
Since it seems at least one person in here has Saga, I have a couple of quick questions. I'm curious enough about this series (only got Beat, way back in the day, and never got beyond one of the early segments in Growth) that I want to give this a run, though I'm still debating with myself over which rendition to pick up.

Anyway, I've heard that Fate was originally controlled using the pointer and nunchuk for movement. Sounds very Sin and Punishment-esque, but now do those controls translate onto the 3DS? The best I've been able to figure is using the lower screen to direct aiming, slide pad for movement, and the L button to fire a la Kid Icarus. In which case I guess my trepidation is the same as it is in that game, I just can't imagine this being very precise and comfortable to hold for very long at all.

Second, regarding Void...I'm willing to bet that youtube video quality does it no favors, but it seems to me like the background gets so damn dark at times that it becomes pretty well impossible to see the black beats at all and I don't want to have to play based on total guesswork. Is this problem somewhat mitigated when you're playing on an actual television? Is the game still sufficiently visible on the 3DS screen (even if the 3-D itself isn't active)?

I keep wavering back and forth over which version I'd rather take, as I'm not gonna double-dip on this at the moment.

Fate control is fine. You use the stylus to aim, like you said, and as long as you are aiming, you are shooting, you don't have to hit another button. You use the slide pad to move along the track.

Void looks fine, you can see the dots with no problem.

Now to talk about my impressions.

I have had more time with the game and I stand by them. The games are so smooth and buttery, that when you turn on 3D its very noticeable. Not only that, but I did an experiment and I seem to do better in the games with the 3D off. Its really a hindrance in this type of game. You have LOTS of dots coming at you, changing speeds and doing crazy shit, and them juddering certainly does not help matters.

The circle pad is in fact analog (not digital like I thought earlier) for the paddle games, but is literally useless. I honestly think it would be easier to play MvC3 with a Rock Band guitar as the controller than it would be to play BEAT with the circle pad. It's like it (paddle movement with slide pad) was programmed by someone who never played the game, either before they programmed it or after. It just doesn't work at all. They needed to implement a system where it is really fast and you hold a button to make it slower, or vice versa. Luckily, I have found that for me, playing with the stylus is okay as long as the 3DS is on a table. If I have to hold the DS and play, it's agony.

Ahh, I knew that there was some reason why the 3DS version scored lower than the Wii one in Nintendo Power.

Gaijin should've done this in house. Letting a one man studio port all 6 titles was a bad idea.

Wii version it is for me then.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Famassu said:
Why don't you use Videogamesplus? They are the best online retailer for Europeans to import niche titles from North America/Canada. I've never had a problem with them and they pretty much always have even the most niche Aksys/XSeed/Atlus games, often years after release. They had 999, they'll have Bit.Trip Saga (though, they show September 20th as the release date).
That doesn't sound too bad. I'll look into it. Thanks for the suggestion. :)

OnPoint

Nuclear Muffin said:
Ahh, I knew that there was some reason why the 3DS version scored lower than the Wii one in Nintendo Power.

Gaijin should've done this in house. Letting a one man studio port all 6 titles was a bad idea.

Wii version it is for me then.

Yeah, Wii version for me based on these impressions. I want to see the 3DS version for myself, but not for $40

Glix said:
I have had more time with the game and I stand by them. The games are so smooth and buttery, that when you turn on 3D its very noticeable. Not only that, but I did an experiment and I seem to do better in the games with the 3D off. Its really a hindrance in this type of game. You have LOTS of dots coming at you, changing speeds and doing crazy shit, and them juddering certainly does not help matters.

I'm still confused at the conflicting impressions. NintendoLife said the 3D makes seeing the dots coming at you easier in their impressions of a preview build of the game:

NintendoLife said:
the addition of the 3D depth really takes things to a whole new level. The games show a great degree of depth and it makes following the beats that you need to bounce back much easier to differentiate from things off in the distance.

Luckily, I have found that for me, playing with the stylus is okay as long as the 3DS is on a table. If I have to hold the DS and play, it's agony.

That's how I always played Elite Beat Agents (or laying on my stomach on a bed/couch with the DS resting flat beneath me while I'm proped up on my elbows). Can't imagine playing a fast-past stylus game with holding the system in my hand(s).

Dark Schala said:
That doesn't sound too bad. I'll look into it. Thanks for the suggestion. :)

I've bought all of my US import games from there for the last 6+ years. They're the best of the best. Can't recommend them enough!

Fuck. I have $10 in Best Buy Monies and I wanted to use it on this game, but it's backordered on their site, and NONE of the stores are carrying it. I could do Ship To Store, but it wouldn't even ship out for another 2 weeks, plus I'd have to pay extra for the shipping.

Guess I'll have to order off Amazon for full price :\

Amazon just sent me an email that they're unable to charge my card, then I realized the card I used to place the preorder has no funds on it... Debating whether to update the payment info to let the order process or wait for more impressions...

Edit: Ouch

Bit Trip Saga First Impression

The things that makes these games great are the gameplay and the music. Take away one of those though, and the other can't hold up the experience on its own. Unfortunately for this collection the 3DS hardware takes the music out of the picture.
Headphones are a must for this game, not because it's the best way to hear the game, but because it's the only way to hear the game. Even then the music and beats never have much force behind them, and for a rhythm based collection of games, that's a killer.
If you have a Wii, go for the Wii collection. I wish I had.
If you don't have a Wii, than just pass on the 3DS version. I wish I had.

http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=9088301

Top Bottom