• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bizarre Creations say goodbye 1994-2011

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Geometry Wars and The Club were such great high-score games, which are something of a lost art in gaming nowadays. Hell, most western devs have never been great at creating competent, meaningful scoring systems, so BC was a rarity regardless of era.

Leaderboard implementation in GW2 was, man, what a thing of beauty. No submenus and browsing to see the competition, your closest-scoring friends are just sitting right there on the game mode select screen, their scores taunting you to beat them from almost the second you boot up the game. Should have become standard in every score-based game afterwards, and yet...

chixdiggit

ShinobiFist said:
Shit, CLUB is one of my favs this gen. Such a awesome arcade style game.

Club never got it's respect. Even the multiplayer was really fun for the short time people played it.

LCfiner

farewell Bizarre. I've thoroughly enjoyed your games since MSR on the Dreamcast.

May you all find gainful employment swiftly

smik

The Biggest PGR fan loved most of Bizzare Creatios Games.

absolutely gutted that Microsoft parted ways with them, PGR was one hella of a launch title and an underated devloper,
and its a fkn shame PGR4 got royally screwed by Microsoft.

sad sad day, :(

Hope you guys the best in the future.

who has the rights to PGR now Acty or Micro?

Sysgen

These guys are gods. What a waste. I can't believe no one picked up this studio.

2005 PGR3

62766323-0e0c-4c64-879f-799b7401fd9.jpg

2010 Blur

I've played just about every arcade racing game. Blur multiplayer was right up there with the best of em if not the best multiplayer arcade race experience I've ever had the pleasure to play. The fact that it bombed is a testament to the ineptitude of the publisher.

Blur2010-05-2516-13-31-14.jpg

Bru

I still can't quite believe it's come to this.

Goodbye Bizarre, you will be missed.
Best of luck to all the staff on this terrible day.

fernoca

That video... :(

I do wonder what amount was Activision asking that noone wanted to buy them.
If Microsoft bought Rare for $500 million a few years ago, threw $60+ million for the Too Human "trilogy", paid over $20 million for the GTAIV "exclusive" episodes.

Heck, WB paid $33 million for Mortal Kombat and a few other Midway stuff (and was the only bidder) and the debt-ridden Harmonix was "sold" for $50 , with $100+ million in debts; or something like that.

Oh well, good luck to everyone over there. Loved your games, even though I wasn't a big fan of Blur it was still a fun game.

Very sad. PGR is the best racing game series, and specifically PGR2 is the undisputed best racing game. Really liked The Club and Geometry Wars games too. Most of their output was great with only a few questionable ones in there. They were the secret best western developer.

Sysgen said:
These guys are gods. What a waste. I can't believe no one picked up this studio.

2005 PGR3

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v472/Sysgen/62766323-0e0c-4c64-879f-799b7401fd9.jpg[IMG]

[b]2010[/b] Blur

I've played just about every arcade racing game. Blur multiplayer was right up there with the best of em if not the best multiplayer arcade race experience I've ever had the pleasure to play. The fact that it bombed is a testament to the ineptitude of the publisher.

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v472/Sysgen/Blur2010-05-2516-13-31-14.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
PGR3 was so impressive at the time, a great launch title. The only main problem I had with it was that it was way too easy to spin people out online in races, they fixed that in 4.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
ElectricBlue187 said:
Only game of theirs I have is Geometry Wars. And I still play it now years after release
I have PGR4 and Blur, and I like both of them a lot but I just don't have the attention span for racing games for very long periods.

Geometry Wars 2, on the other hand, I will be playing until (or if, I guess) Stephen Cakebread decides to create a follow-up (under a different name, naturally).

Truly one of the finest games this generation.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
For a company seemingly obsessed with the perfect run, they kinda had one of their own.
They made the BEST games.

jax (old)

Banned
Oh wow, its here., this is amazingly sad terrible news.

To the Bizarre Creations guys, I'm so sorry that its come to this. All the best.

some of my favorite Dreamcast memories are playing MSR for hours into the early morning so i could race at 4am in-game while it was actually 4am in the real world. amazing studio, best of luck to them in the future. hope they get picked up to make the games they want instead of what some office bureaucrat wants.

metropolis_street_racer_4.jpg

game had great music too:
'Overdrive
Heartland (great liquid jazz dnb track)
Club Paris

LiquidMetal14 said:
A quality dev. What went wrong? Bad use by Activision?
I think Activision bought them to develop the official Formula 1 games, but Codemasters got the license instead, so they didn't have that much use for BC after that.

Brashnir

Vaya con Dios.

I bought PGR4 at launch but hardly got around to playing it. I've been working on my backlog lately - I think it's time to finally play this one through.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
fernoca said:
I do wonder what amount was Activision asking that noone wanted to buy them.

It wasn't a question of the amount, but that prospective buyers saw the cheaper option in hiring ex-developers after the studio closed.

Studio culture and shared knowledge isn't valued as much in the modern industry.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I played the shit out of F1 '97 (or CE as it was known in the States). It really helped cement my love of Formula 1.

Sucks on about 5 different levels for me as a fan, but it must be so much worse for the people who worked there over the years and their families.

I can't believe how things went from PGR3 and Geometry Wars 1 to this.

I still blame the delay of Forza 2 from November 2006 to May 2007 for the fall of Bizarre, more than I blame Activision. But I guess it's all irrelevant now.

The Club deserves more recognition, as does everything they ever produced. I'll never forget the hours I spent playing every PGR and MSR as well as the fun I had with their other games. I just managed to finally get the "Smile" achievement in Geometry Wars 2 recently after 2 years of trying. There's not a lot to smile about today, I'm afraid.

see5harp

Damn. Pour out a little liquor for one of the greats. PGR is my favorite racing series of all time and Blur deserved more support. Geometry Wars really ushered in the XBLA generation and the sequel will always been one of the best score chasers in history.

Goodnight sweet prince.

Hopefully all the team members land on their feet sooner rather than later.

I got goosebumps reading the OP. Sometimes this industry makes me sad.

Keikoku

Banned
Oneself said:
Hopefully Sony Liverpool is hiring ;) You know, Motorstorm... Wipeout... :D

smh

Also like I said in the previous thread, fuck both MS and Activision on this. Hope they start a new studio :(

V_Ben

Banned
Keikoku said:
smh

Also like I said in the previous thread, fuck both MS and Activision on this. Hope they start a new studio :(

I do too, but I just hope they find jobs quickly more. Getting some Bizarre guys in SCE Liverpool would be amazing.

Suzzopher said:
Could still create a studio in Liverpool. Imagine the Bizarre team with the Ferrari license.

:O

fernoca

Keikoku said:
smh

Why fuck MS?:p
Granted they gave the impression as if they got rid of Bizarre after PGR4 "bombed", but MS was still interested in Bizarre. There's also the impression Activision was asking for an absurd amount of money considering that there were many interested buyers, but none were willing to pay as much as Activision was asking.

Top Bottom