• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Desert Online |OT| Come on in, the sand's fine [Mediah Update]

SUPARSTARX

Eww, they changed the normal access to March 3rd. What a jip. Was looking forward to logging on tonight after work.

Edit: I haven't kept up with this game too closely, but how do people heal/recover during battle? I don't see any real dedicated healing based class which is what I usually sport in MMO's. Valkyrie looks the closest. Would it play like a paladin in other games?

Hellers

Eww, they changed the normal access to March 3rd. What a jip. Was looking forward to logging on tonight after work.

Edit: I haven't kept up with this game too closely, but how do people heal/recover during battle? I don't see any real dedicated healing based class which is what I usually sport in MMO's. Valkyrie looks the closest. Would it play like a paladin in other games?

Potions helpfully have a five second cool down and some classes have healing abilities to varying degrees.

Also not being hit helps. You can dodge and block attacks (Depending on class)

Loginius

This game has an action based combat system, it plays nothing like WoW or similar titles.
You try to avoid dmg and heal with pots, there is no trinity in this game.

Somnia

Hit level 33 last night, decided to give up questing other than main story and black spirit quests that I get. Just going to grind my way up to 50 and then go back to Glish and continue the quests in each city to build up everything at that point.

In the end doing what I did on day 1 (focusing on crafting, etc.) I helped my guild out a lot and have gotten 7k contribution so far. We're up to 50 member limit and have over 2 million in the bank. Though 2 million is nothing, need way more.

Tankshell

BTW anyone wanting to play this using a Steam Controller, you don't even need to be in the Steam beta branch anymore.

I literally just started Steam as administrator (this IS required unfortunately due to the DRM used by the game), and then added a shortcut to BDO exe. Then launched via Big Picture mode.

Worked first time. I am still working on a nice control scheme though, I hate the default button mappings!

This is on a Win 10 x64 machine.

Li Kao

Shit.
That being said I wonder if it's such a good idea to take the plunge right now. I mean what MMO launched without disastrous server issues for at least a few days.

Ferr986

Most likely is that. My 3570k is at 4.5 and stays close to 100% usage.

On the outside too? Last time I checked (in CBT2), outside cities my shitty Phenom II wasn't maxed at all (around around 60-70% avg). It got fucking destroyed in cities though.

Btw, I was wondering if this game would deserve it's own Photomode OT (like some other games had).

Twookie

man i've been looking for a quest giver forever now, like where the fuck did he go
facepalm.gif

I mean, I like that NPC's do stuff and isn't always at the same spot, but fuck man, genuinely can't find him anywhere now

Ricker

Just noticed there's a ''slightly high'' option for the textures or graphics lol..perfect for me...

Creating my Beserker soon,family name is Thaur,invite to N.A. clan/guild when you have a chance later in the day please.

Somnia

MikeDown

Banned
also how the hell do the conversation minigames work!??!?! also i can't figure out how to milk thses cows, there is no prompt

Somnia

So for conversations it'll tell you what they need in the top.

So for example, one may say "so and so wants knowledge of over 140". So what you need to do is look at your knowledge on people on the bottom, there's an arrow to scroll left or right to see additional ones. You'll want to right click people to put above for him to learn. Each one will list the "interest" rating for the NPC and how much knowledge its worth (I'm sure its called something else but you know what I mean). So you want higher ones to get what you need plus ones that interest said NPC.

Then you hit conversation when you fill it up and hope it completes. When it's done you'll see how much Amity you earned, you can risk it and click continue and hope you complete the next one too for even more, but if you fail you get nothing.

So I bought the $50 pack and realized I have to wait until 3.3 to play. Worth keeping the $50 pack if I'm starting day 1 like most?

nataku

Can't seem to add ash to my friends list so I can find out when he's on to get an invite. Do people have to be online to add them?

wowzors

So I bought the $50 pack and realized I have to wait until 3.3 to play. Worth keeping the $50 pack if I'm starting day 1 like most?

Nah the company were being pretty deceitful butt plugs with this whole situation. Just get the standard or a trial from someone to see if you even like it.

Somnia

At this point I'd keep it because you'll get the compensation stuff listed above plus everything else in the pack. It's tomorrow after all.

Despite what the post above me said, they admit they messed up their marketing of the package and are offering those items for it if you keep said pack.

Quonny

Nah the company were being pretty deceitful butt plugs with this whole situation. Just get the standard or a trial from someone to see if you even like it.

Deceitful?

Incompetent, maybe, but this was clearly an issue of miscommunication. Not saying that this is a good look for them either, but do you really think they were like "let's get people to preorder by intentionally lying to them!"?

Kaname

Does anybody have a friend invite to spare by any chance?
I tried it on CBT2 but I had internet problems and couldn't play for long, still interested in the game and would like some more hands on before dropping the money though :(

wowzors

Deceitful?

Incompetent, maybe, but this was clearly an issue of miscommunication. Not saying that this is a good look for them either, but do you really think they were like "let's get people to preorder by intentionally lying to them!"?

Absolutely, processing returns slowly and knowing that by the 3rd people will probably cave and not wait the extra days for the return.

Its $20 gained by them for literally doing nothing no return is going to be initiated prior to the third, so they sit and wait and see who keeps the return process going. Knowing that we can't purchase the cheaper version on that created account because if we start the game the $50 sticks.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
so is asking for 7 day passes going to be a no-no around here or whats the deal? Never played a sandbox mmo and would like to try one, I still dont understand the structure of a sandbox mmo (or lack thereof)

brand

Can I please get an invite to NA guild? Last name is "Kol". Great game. Excited to play with you all. Thanks!

mkenyon

Banned
Absolutely, processing returns slowly and knowing that by the 3rd people will probably cave and not wait the extra days for the return.

Its $20 gained by them for literally doing nothing no return is going to be initiated prior to the third, so they sit and wait and see who keeps the return process going. Knowing that we can't purchase the cheaper version on that created account because if we start the game the $50 sticks.
This thread has been posted for a really long time, and has not been edited on dates.

http://forum.blackdesertonline.com/index.php?/topic/12768-do-not-miss-the-key-dates/

Everyone in my guild knew that you had to preorder in order to get EA. It pretty clearly outlined that, but had a few spots where misinformation could be spread or seen in a certain way.

I wouldn't even say incompetent, maybe not quite clear enough.
so is asking for 7 day passes going to be a no-no around here or whats the deal? Never played a sandbox mmo and would like to try one, I still dont understand the structure of a sandbox mmo (or lack thereof)
Eh, calling this a Sandbox is a bit much, IMO. There's a ton of restrictions. It's just less of a "Themepark" style.

It's more like a tightly regulated Sand Sculpture Competition. :p

But the game passes aren't available to give out yet. They won't be available until the 3rd.

wowzors

This thread has been posted for a really long time, and has not been edited on dates.

http://forum.blackdesertonline.com/index.php?/topic/12768-do-not-miss-the-key-dates/

Everyone in my guild knew that you had to preorder in order to get EA. It pretty clearly outlined that, but had a few spots where misinformation could be spread or seen in a certain way.

I wouldn't even say incompetent, maybe not quite clear enough.

Yeah, because everyone interested in the game looks in the forums before clicking purchase right?

mkenyon

Banned
Yeah, because everyone interested in the game looks in the forums before clicking purchase right?
Perhaps I'm missing where the big stink was, but if the only confusion is that the packages are called the same thing, then it's still not deceitful.

Quonny

I'm trying to wrap my head around what you're saying.

So, you're saying this is what they wanted? In a perfect world, they'd likely just go "okay, guys, the website was wrong but we're going to flip the switch and let everyone who ordered the $50 packs in right now", but the way that the account system works likely means that they can't do that without risking a lot of account stability. They likely tied the key to something that is the same in the basic and premium passes, and they can't differentiate between the two. That's my guess. It's much easier to offer in-game rewards than to potentially wipe accesses or other catastrophic account-based information.

I seriously, seriously doubt they intentionally deceived their playerbase. I'm not arguing that it's not a mistake, but you think there is actual malice behind their decisions. I refuse to believe that. It's just so counter-intuitive.

Perhaps I'm missing where the big stink was, but if the only confusion is that the packages are called the same thing, then it's still not deceitful.

The only point of confusion I see is that, for a few days in late February, if you pre-ordered the game, the page you bought the game on said you got in early. As I hit the purchase button it said I would get in on the 2nd, not the 3rd. Again, I don't really care, but it was incorrect.

Somnia

They screwed up in their marketing of the game for how pre-orders, etc. happened. They completely admit to it and are offering compensation for it OR refunds for it if you don't want to stick around.

They did not purposely try to screw people over, they just messed up big time in how things were worded.

Flambe

Seconding this. Saw gaf thread and pics, got hype, the actual purchasing page said my package would have access on the 1st so why would I delve into the forums to make sure that wasn't a miscommunication?

But yeah whatever, shitty miscommunication on their part.

The crappier part is you can't get a refund if you downloaded the client, which I did because I was going on the assumption I'd be able to get in that evening at midnight.

Hikami

Oh so the NA guild has been formed already? Invite me whenever possible, family name is Hikami.

I don't mind but, I don't know about everyone else.
I'm getting 2 guest passes with the package I got and I'll be checking in with my friends if any of them want one. If not then I'll just give it to someone here who's asking for one.

Purdy

Just bought this, can't pre download for tomorrow or get the character customisation tool?

edit - okay can dl the game at least

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity

Lol@ this

Ferr986

Shame but ah well, seems to run smooth enough regardless.

Not to mention I am playing at 1440p

Ah well that's another thing. My PC would explore at that res lol

Btw, I'll gadly join the EU GAF Clan, although, its a clan or guild? I remember seeing that guilds require money or something? I'm taking it extremelly slow and I don't think I'll even reach endgame stuff soon (more so when DS3 comes).

oktarb

My first impressions thus far are not very good.

• I don't like that the race/gender is ties to the class. Though there is great customication on facials I still feel like I'm playing a generic archetype.
  • The voice acting for the beginning quests feels very poorly translated and done.
  • The music almost immediatley got on my nerves. Then I found that the defualt settings had music at 62% and overal volume at 11%.
  • I couldn't get past the very first tutorial because it was telling me to move with " " and no keys worked. I couldn't even hit esc to access settings. After several restarts and some google-fu I have to delete the usercache in order to reset the corrupted bindings. This is apparently a common problem.
  • The whole conversation minigame is annoying and poorly designed.
  • The the world is gorgeous there's so many on screen icons the world itself gets a little downed out. Especially in cities.
  • The overall UI is confusing and poorly built out.

I'm hoping this is all just growing pains and new game acclimation.

Ferr986

• I don't like that the race/gender is ties to the class. Though there is great customication on facials I still feel like I'm playing a generic archetype.
  • The voice acting for the beginning quests feels very poorly translated and done.
  • The music almost immediatley got on my nerves. Then I found that the defualt settings had music at 62% and overal volume at 11%.
  • I couldn't get past the very first tutorial because it was telling me to move with " " and no keys worked. I couldn't even hit esc to access settings. After several restarts and some google-fu I have to delete the usercache in order to reset the corrupted bindings. This is apparently a common problem.
  • The the world is gorgeous there's so many on screen icons the world itself gets a little downed out. Especially in cities.

The UI is really bad IMO, I agree. It's not very user friendly, even as a mouse user (so imagine what is for me as a pad player lol) and unnecesary obscure. Like the marketplace UI, all stats are just a symbol and you don't know wtf they mean unless you hover the mouse upon it.

I also don't like the conversation minigame stuff too. I thougth I would like the posibilities on gaining affinity with NPC but I'm not feeling it right now.

mr stroke

bought the Travelers package, those Twitch streams looks so good. Love the combat here!

Wish it didn't have the Korean MMO jank but screw it. Dat combat :eek:

Teknoman

As long as the music is good :p But seriously, that's a strange default setting. Then again a lot of other games these days have SFx so loud, you can't enjoy the soundtrack. I do hope they expand the class + genders though. I can understand them being race locked for berserker, but not gender locked.

Windam

Scaley member
Are you allowed to send invites/requests to people who are offline? If so, can you guys add Beleg Strongbow to the guild/as a friend? I've decided that the $141 CAD for the Conq's package will be worth it if I make it worth it (...I hope), and waived my refund right today. Too bad about gender-locked classes. Beleg is a male Elf. :(

Ashodin

Okay, I'm online! Please message Ashodin for a clan invite. Keep in mind, we can only go up to 15 people before I need to gather 100,000 silver to start the guild. I'm working on that today specifically.

Baliis

As long as the music is good :p But seriously, that's a strange default setting. Then again a lot of other games these days have SFx so loud, you can't enjoy the soundtrack. I do hope they expand the class + genders though. I can understand them being race locked for berserker, but not gender locked.

I like the music for what it's worth. Also, when you exit the game make sure you actually exit it and not just minimize to tray or your girlfriend will wake you up an hour later because she can't figure out why the computer is playing music still. Oops.

Top Bottom