• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Desert Online |OT| Come on in, the sand's fine [Mediah Update]

docbon

Speaking of, how does party combat work exp / loot wise? Or are there some enemies in the wild (not bosses) that are simply too strong to fight unless you have multiple people?
I don't know about loot but experience distribution goes like this:

1 Player - 100% per kill
2 Players - 60% per kill
3 Players - 50% per kill
4 Players - 50% per kill
5 Players - 50% per kill

You basically want to fill a group so you can tag literally every mob that spawns in an area for max efficiency. Of course, you don't have to if you don't want to!

Speaking of, how does party combat work exp / loot wise? Or are there some enemies in the wild (not bosses) that are simply too strong to fight unless you have multiple people?

With the boat system, i'm sure there should be uncharted islands with stuff on them?

Party experience is reduced but you can defeat enemies much faster and with little to no downtime so it's a net gain. I think the sweet spot is 2 or a big group of 4-6 if you're grinding a specific area.

Unless you have a friend to play with, I don't think most people will want to party in this game unless for a specific purpose. It's not necessarily a bad thing. It's very solo oriented in a lot of ways.

1. Party EXP is lessened, but not by much. Secondly, most enemies can be solo'd (however there are some tough ones) so bringing a friend doesn't hurt.

2. Yes to islands, but they're "charted" as in they're on the map. You could potentially live on one of them if you wish.

To add to this, if you are in a party, the XP decreases based on the lowest level player. If you fight an enemy that shows up purple (purple named mobs mean they are much higher level than you) to the lowest level player in the party, everyone will get very little XP from them. The best way to grind with party members is to kill enemies that show up with red names to the lowest level party member. So if there is a large gap in levels in party members, it is best that you don't try and grind high-level stuff because you'll get much less XP from it

Hikami

With the boat system, i'm sure there should be uncharted islands with stuff on them?
Not sure how loot goes for normal drops but for boss drops (the bosses you summon with a scroll) everyone gets a drop. So you'd want to go with a full party when you're doing your bosses, that way everyone can use their scrolls so everyone gets more loot.

zulux21

Are there a limited number of houses for people to buy (I am reading there are thousands, also reading they are instanced) as in if I don't play near launch will it be hard to get a house to use this game as a time waster just to craft stuff?

also is there a difference between the number of characters slots in the 30 vs 50 version of the game or was that merely a preorder bonus?

nikos

Really want to pick this up, but I'm not sure how my aging PC will handle it. If anyone has an extra guest pass, it would be much appreciated!

Also, I tried the character creator a while back and will probably spend hours just to set one up. It's too good.

Hellers

Are there a limited number of houses for people to buy (I am reading there are thousands, also reading they are instanced) as in if I don't play near launch will it be hard to get a house to use this game as a time waster just to craft stuff?

also is there a difference between the number of characters slots in the 30 vs 50 version of the game or was that merely a preorder bonus?

Housing is phased. In a town everyone can buy every house.

The game comes with four character slots + whatever your preorder bonus is.

zulux21

Housing is phased. In a town everyone can buy every house.

The game comes with four character slots + whatever your preorder bonus is.

ah. I am assuming you can buy more slots in the cash shop?
do they have a price for those yet as i won't be able to get a preorder bonus sadly :/

which sorceress sud i play as?

The red haired one. She looks like she has her ass kicking boots tied on and ready to go, whereas the brown haired sorceress looks like she's going to be standing there... stumped trying to figure out an easy riddle for awhile.

That's just my opinion though.

Black Desert Online is definitely on my radar from what I have seen of the overall product. I've been looking for a new MMO to fill the void ever since WoW has become impossible for me to play (I grew tired of it and just can't play anymore.) But my next major pick up is going to be The Division, because i just absolutely love that game from what I played of it, so there goes that. Black Desert will probably be more of an April/May purchase for me.

Just got my furniture so I now have all items. No idea if they are still planning to wipe everything and make everyone reclaim on March 3rd though.

Randy42

Does anyone know how cash shop costumes work? Like does every character on your account get their own 'set' or do you get just one set you can then pass around to whichever char you actually want to use it?

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Does anyone know how cash shop costumes work? Like does every character on your account get their own 'set' or do you get just one set you can then pass around to whichever char you actually want to use it?

Each costume is account bound.

Veldin

Sorry for not understanding this but to clarify does that mean each character on the account can claim it or do you just get a single set you can pass around due to the way black desert works

Costumes are bound to the character you use them on. If you want the same costume on a different character, you have to buy another.

Kalentan

Got to the loading screen of Olvia...

Then it stopped, seemingly froze, then after a bit told me I got disconnected from the server. :(

Kalentan

Okay... This... This voice acting... Oh god...

Like everything else is great, but the voice acting... I'm debating muting it... Does it get better?

The best voice actor thus far is the black smoke creature thing.

Gears

How's the game running? Due to some recent hospital bills and a friend using his guest passes already it'll be quite a while before I can play. I've got a 970gtx 16gb of RAM and not sure on my processor :)

Hikami

How's the game running? Due to some recent hospital bills and a friend using his guest passes already it'll be quite a while before I can play. I've got a 970gtx 16gb of RAM and not sure on my processor :)

My GTX 960 can get 60fps on the highest settings (some drops in heavily populated towns) so you should be fine GPU wise.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
EU
SERVER Jordine
CHANNEL Serendia 1

AncalagoN and I will make a Guild later today :D

what kind of navigation system did you guys choose? I chose the fairy

?

Hellers

One thing I like about this. If a game sends you out to kill something there's generally a very big area where they spawn. If you stick to the orange circles on the map you're doing it wrong. Spread out.

The imp area to the west of Heidel is massive. As is the rebel area near their castle to the south east.

I'm currently building a raft. I don't want a raft. I just needed a goal to learn the worker systems and that seemed a nice one.

Baleoce

Is this released in the EU?

EDIT - Nvm I've found the info :)

The head starts below are only for Pre-Order holders:
Head start for Conqueror’s package holders starts the 28th of February, 08:00 UTC.
Head start for Explorer’s package holders starts the 1st of March, 08:00 UTC.
Head start for Traveler’s package holders start the 2nd of March, 08:00 UTC.
The official launch date is March 3rd. (maintenance scheduled at 08:00 UTC / approx. 4 hours)

Just bought the traveller's package. Looking forward to this. I love the idea of a big explorable world that doesn't try to handhold. I haven't felt such a thing since playing FFXI.

Does anyone know where to enable the NPC Circles setting? Iy's supposed to show a circle around you and an NPC when you get close to an NPC you can interact with. It was present in CBT2 but i just cannot find it anywhere now

Sectus

Okay... This... This voice acting... Oh god...

Like everything else is great, but the voice acting... I'm debating muting it... Does it get better?

The best voice actor thus far is the black smoke creature thing.

It does get a bit better. Calpheon region has better voice acting than Balenos and Serendia, but it never becomes good.

Freeman76

One important thing, are material nodes instanced like in Guild Wars 2 or are they a rage inducing free for all like WoW?

Also, if anyone is up for sharing a guest pass i would be very grateful, im not sure how well my pc will run this and need to be sure before dropping cash on the full game.

drotahorror

I guess people are flippin their shit that they bought the explorer pack too late and aren't getting in the headstart.

Even I knew the pre-pre-order headstart shit had ended. I think it was any orders on the 26th and after do not get headstart.

People are goin bonkers though haha.

Ayumi

If the BDO website is region blocked from my location, what are the chances the game will still work if I somehow manage to register?
I guess there's an SEA version or something I would have to stick to?

Baleoce

I guess people are flippin their shit that they bought the explorer pack too late and aren't getting in the headstart.

Even I knew the pre-pre-order headstart shit had ended. I think it was any orders on the 26th and after do not get headstart.

That actually works out for me, it's gonna take me until at least official launch before I finish installing it haha

zulux21

I don't blame the people I blame the company.
Even though they were clear about the headstart stuff to people following the game, they really still should have named things differently such as the preorder pack Explorer Pack (Head Start Edition) and then be saying that the head start edition is launching today instead of saying if you preordered the explorer pack you can play today as it's well established that if you buy a game before release it's called a preorder.

I mean if you haven't been following the game it's not clear at all. Alternatively there could just be in big letters below the order now "TO START PLAYING ON MARCH 3RD" >.>

Hellers

I can't understand why they aren't letting people join the headstart. Surely the people wanting to preorder now are at peak hype. Unless they're worried about server load I can't see the benefit to making them wait.

Let the poor sods in. :)

Baleoce

I don't blame the people I blame the company.
Even though they were clear about the headstart stuff they really still should have named things differently such as the preorder pack Explorer Pack (Head Start Edition) and then be saying that the head start edition is launching today instead of saying if you preordered the explorer pack you can play today as it's well established that if you buy a game before release it's called a preorder.

I mean if you haven't been following the game it's not clear at all. Alternatively there could just be in big letters below the order now "TO START PLAYING ON MARCH 3RD" >.>

Yeah it is odd. I've not been following it at all, so I just made an account, looked up the package info, and found the snippet I posted above:

The head starts below are only for Pre-Order holders
*goes on to list the relevant start dates*

But it doesn't actually state when the pre-order period finished, so you'd think anything purchased before official release counted as a pre-order. Doesn't bother me personally, but I can see why some would be irked.

anothertech

Question on the open world pvp-

So someone can gank someone else far lower lvl even if not flagged for pvp correct? But as I understand there are consequences. How does this work exactly?

Can they take your stuff once they've killed you?
What exactly are the consequences?
What if you are the same lvl? Does it work the same?
What if you are attacked but you successfully defend yourself? Are you now subject to the consequence?
What is to stop someone from going on a murderous spree and just switching chars or accounts once they've had their fun?
What are the benefits and reasons to pvp in this game?
What about aoe attacks? Can you attack someone on accident when using aoe on mobs around others?

Thx if anyone can answer ;)

Top Bottom