• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Desert Online |OT| Come on in, the sand's fine [Mediah Update]

zulux21

I know you get knowledge from doing stuff like fishing/crafting that gives you more energy, but do you get exp from it as well?

or will I have to at some point go grind out levels via combat to get to better gathering areas if I want to really just focus on the non combat stuff in the game?

Baleoce

Any way to use a Steam Controller with this?

I saw something yesterday that mentioned you can get it to function like an XInput controller with this game. I think it just required having steam beta with latest controller firmware. Add BDO as a shortcut, then launch in big picture with the xbox controller profile. I can't confirm if this works because I've only just started installing it. But i will try it out as soon as I get the chance. Which won't be for a couple of days.

EDIT - gulp

QJEJ6dO.png

I know you get knowledge from doing stuff like fishing/crafting that gives you more energy, but do you get exp from it as well?

or will I have to at some point go grind out levels via combat to get to better gathering areas if I want to really just focus on the non combat stuff in the game?

Pretty sure I was getting exp for gathering plants during the beta. I played the game that way, just heading towards whichever point on the horizon I liked the look of, gathering herbs and grabbing monster knowledge along the way. I've always hated questing, even in WoW.

Loginius

EU
SERVER Jordine
CHANNEL Serendia 1

AncalagoN and I will make a Guild later today :D

what kind of navigation system did you guys choose? I chose the fairy

?

Meh, we are on different servers then :/
GAF Guild on EU would have been great.
I disabled it, you get the arrow around your character anyway.

Question on the open world pvp-

So someone can gank someone else far lower lvl even if not flagged for pvp correct? But as I understand there are consequences. How does this work exactly?

Can they take your stuff once they've killed you?
What exactly are the consequences?
What if you are the same lvl? Does it work the same?
What if you are attacked but you successfully defend yourself? Are you now subject to the consequence?
What is to stop someone from going on a murderous spree and just switching chars or accounts once they've had their fun?
What are the benefits and reasons to pvp in this game?
What about aoe attacks? Can you attack someone on accident when using aoe on mobs around others?

Thx if anyone can answer ;)
They cant take anything except for when your karma is low (you get low karma for pk)
Consequences are low karma which means you get attacked by town guards, are constantly flagged armor breaks on death etc.
You cant switch chars instantly with low karma.
Atm there are no benefits to pk, there are benefits to GvG wars and there is no penalty.
You can only attack other players when you are flagged for it.

All in all open world pk wreks the pker hard, there is no reward and you are punished so severe that most people wont do it.
GvG is where the PvP happens, you fight over castles and nodes and you get rewarded, no penalties.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
so those guest passes... everyone gets those? Are there a lot floating around *wink wink?

;_;

zulux21

so those guest passes... everyone gets those? Are there a lot floating around *wink wink?

;_;

I don't believe those go live until march 3rd.

Pretty sure I was getting exp for gathering plants during the beta. I played the game that way, just heading towards whichever point on the horizon I liked the look of, gathering herbs and grabbing monster knowledge along the way. I've always hated questing, even in WoW.

that's good, if I was to get this game it would be to just waste time when I don't know what to do by crafting and what not lol. If I want to go monster killing I have guild wars 2 for that.

For those who have already had some experience with it, what do you usually do with your system when doing afk activities overnight? I want to configure my PC settings to go into a low-power mode when i minimize the game to the system tray overnight. Is that possible, or should i just leave my PC on?

Ferr986

My GTX 960 can get 60fps on the highest settings (some drops in heavily populated towns) so you should be fine GPU wise.

Surprising, just tried it very fast 5 mins before work and my GTX950 (OC'ed) was hovering around low 40ish on very high outside the city (30 on the city).

I expected a little better, although it may be my CPU bottlenecking (didn't reach 100% GPU usage) cause there shouldn't be almost 20 fps of difference between a 950 and a 960

Question on the open world pvp-

So someone can gank someone else far lower lvl even if not flagged for pvp correct? But as I understand there are consequences. How does this work exactly?

Can they take your stuff once they've killed you?
What exactly are the consequences?
What if you are the same lvl? Does it work the same?
What if you are attacked but you successfully defend yourself? Are you now subject to the consequence?
What is to stop someone from going on a murderous spree and just switching chars or accounts once they've had their fun?
What are the benefits and reasons to pvp in this game?
What about aoe attacks? Can you attack someone on accident when using aoe on mobs around others?

Thx if anyone can answer ;)
In the beta you couldn't engage in PVP with anyone who wasn't at least Lvl 45. You get negative karma if you attack someone who isn't flagged for PVP. If you have enough negative karma you won't be able to unflagging yourself and guards and other plays can attack you without consequences. Pretty sure you'll only drop items if your have high negative karma but don't quote me on that. Your negative Karma carries over to your family name so you can't switch characters to avoid the heat.

Clearos

the moment you realized you purchased a pre-order package an hour after it closed on the 26th so you are not entitled to early launch.

Somnia

I don't think this dev knows that pre ordering means...

IrUJoam.png

They've been very clear that the pre-ordering bonus of early access was only good up till a certain date.

Basically anything before the launch for the $100 pack is considered a pre-order, now that it's "live" for some customers they aren't letting people buy and get in till the full release on the 3rd.

Clearos

IrUJoam.png

The packages never changed names and you had to see the qualifier that anything purchased after march 26, 11:00 UTC would not be a pre-order.

A few forums are raging, I just see it as an extra day to finish just cause 3 before i ignore my backlog.

IrUJoam.png

I see what you're saying, but they decided to close 'pre-orders' before launch.

Thus, people that bought after a certain point don't get headstart access.

You will get access when the game officially opens for service on March 3rd.

The website was not updated to include the March 3rd information until after I purchased the game. They now have the tab that says March 3rd. Not cool on their part in my opinion. I just recently started following information about the game this past Sunday when everyone started playing who had the $99 package. I knew about the 26th cut off date for that package as it wasn't even for sale anymore. After watching streams, I went and preordered the Explorer's package with intention of playing the game today. :(

I'm fairly certain this warning was not there when I purchased.

7A58MRf.png

I echo this. This definitely was added after the fact. If that was the case I would have just ordered the $30 package thursday. That tab should have went up as soon as the 26th was over.

I don't think outrage is needed, but they need to at least refund purchases of those that didn't get the message clearly because of their miscommunication. They need to do so without hassle.

Somnia

I don't think outrage is needed, but they need to at least refund purchases of those that didn't get the message clearly because of their miscommunication. They need to do so without hassle.

So long as you do not log in you will be able to get a refund from what I've read.

notworksafe

I am gonna be happy when there is an NA guild cause I am gonna have a million questions to ask. I felt lost doing some of the stuff in the game last night, but not in a frustrating way more of a "is this the best/correct course of action?" way.

So I apologize in advance for all the dumb questions.

Ferr986

Just open the game for everyone with the explorer pack and be done with it.

Between this and the cash shop prices Daum needs to be more careful.

nataku

I'm a little confused on the housing. You can only have 5 houses, so does that includes the crafting types houses? So unless I want to be switching the purpose of each house often I need to choose what I want to do?

notworksafe

I'm a little confused on the housing. You can only have 5 houses, so does that includes the crafting types houses? So unless I want to be switching the purpose of each house often I need to choose what I want to do?

From what I read it seems you can have 5 "Residence" houses but you can have many of the other types.

Top Bottom