• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Ops II official site is up

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Press Release said:
img5051_02cubwk.jpg
Uhhhhhh....

EYEL1NER

Future warfare? Why is this called Black Ops, I hope this is for more than marketing reasons. Time travel or some shitty connection back to the original cold war/black ops.
Give them a chance to show us more than, like, 4 images.

GrizzNKev

Banned
I was thinking the same thing. Haters gonna hate.

No, that's pretty standard for the quality of distant background models/textures. Most people will never notice it because their view will be blocked by closer buildings, but it's necessary to provide the illusion of a cityscape without killing performance.

No, that's pretty standard for the quality of distant background models/textures. Most people will never notice it because their view will be blocked by closer buildings, but it's necessary to provide the illusion of a cityscape without killing performance.

Sure, and the game is still going to get some tweaks before it's done, but that doesn't stop people from lol'ing at random aspects of these first screenshots.

I wonder if they are going to change any form of the technology running the game. Surely there must be some new tech in the engine.

A near future game running on at least a 5 year old engine. gg.

I would rejoice as I have been dying for a truly new CoD game.. But honestly at this point I do not think 'CoD5' will happen til next gen.

Did anyone mention to Treyarch that a "Cold War" means that there isn't any actual combat happening?

We can assume that the combat happens when the Cold War ends, at the start of the game, when Group A does something that makes Group B push the "end stalemate" button.

hamchan

You guys realize the Vietnam War happened during the Cold War era right? It's not like 2 countries having a cold war puts a stop on all conflict throughout the world.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Not sure if people are being sarcastic or really don't know what "Cold War" meant...

But then someone in here the other week said Russia wasn't even invaded during WW2 so I shouldn't be surprised if peoples history knowledge isn't up to scratch.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Not sure if people are being sarcastic or really don't know what "Cold War" meant...

But then someone in here the other week said Russia wasn't even invaded during WW2 so I shouldn't be surprised if peoples history knowledge isn't up to scratch.

Cold War just meant free Cold Cut Sandwiches for our troops invading Cuba right? RIGHT?

on the one hand this ridiculous stuff could actually make something different happen in cod

on the other hand getting 20 kills will probably let you summon robo-dogs with micro-nukes attached to them

Quite looking forward to this one, Treyarch seem to be the one out of the two main developers for the series that wants to move the series forward and less of the pretty much exact copy/paste that Infinity Ward have done for 2 games now.

L1cAM.gif

You must be joking.

IW were the only development team to innovate COD. They were the ones who completely revolutionized the FPS genre when they introduced perks and killstreaks in COD4. World at War, Treyarch's first effort after the success of COD4, was literally COD4 in WWII. No innovation, no new ideas, just a lazy follow-up that aped the innovation of COD4.

IW's next game, MW2, further moved the series forward. Among many other things, the introduction of pro perks and customizable killstreaks differentiated MW2 from COD4. Although they shared similarities, they were entirely different beasts. As usual, Treyarch's next game (Black Ops) basically took all the ideas from MW2 and introduced nothing new.

I don't care about MW3 since it wasn't developed by the real Infinity Ward, so I'll just stop here. Treyarch are the masters of piggy-backing off of others' success and ideas.

Xamdou

L1cAM.gif

You must be joking.

IW were the only development team to innovate COD. They were the ones who completely revolutionized the FPS genre when they introduced perks and killstreaks in COD4. World at War, Treyarch's first effort after the success of COD4, was literally COD4 in WWII. No innovation, no new ideas, just a lazy follow-up that aped the innovation of COD4.

IW's next game, MW2, further moved the series forward. Among many other things, the introduction of pro perks and customizable killstreaks differentiated MW2 from COD4. Although they shared similarities, they were entirely different beasts. As usual, Treyarch's next game (Black Ops) basically took all the ideas from MW2 and introduced nothing new.

I don't care about MW3 since it wasn't developed by the real Infinity Ward, so I'll just stop here. Treyarch are the masters of piggy-backing off of others' success and ideas.

My thoughts exactly, well put.

sflufan

Banned
You guys realize the Vietnam War happened during the Cold War era right? It's not like 2 countries having a cold war puts a stop on all conflict throughout the world.

Right, but that was a proxy war that occurred within the context of the Cold War; it wasn't a direct military confrontation between the Cold War adversaries.

It was to me too. Yet another example of this series' inability to be original post-CoD4. They just look way too similar for it to be excusable.

Military looks like military. There's a certain design ethic when it comes to practical armaments. Now sure how you expect it to be dissimilar across titles when there isn't that large of a time jump. More neon glowy bits?

Besides, gameplay wise, why fix what ain't broke. You don't always have to reinvent the wheel every series, when fans will be happy with a revised experience with nip-and-tuck. Iterative franchises may not be vogue right now, but it'd be silly to claim CoD is the only one that does it. Battlefield... Quake... yadda.

People are overly critical with franchises that they perceive as "leading the sheeple", and ignore the faults of franchises they personally like. News at 11, true. But still.

I get the feeling that even if Blops2 did something really interesting and unique, like having a game-mode or mission structure nobody saw coming, people would just gloss over it and go back to mocking screenshots. That, is the gaming culture we're dealing with. I'd hate to be a developer in this kind of climate.

It's funny. I really loved Black Ops, but Modern Warfare 3 soured me so badly on the series. Awful maps and further continuation of grinding as a "fun" mechanic. I think I'll wait to see how the community responds to the maps.

L1cAM.gif

You must be joking.

I can't even be annoyed by how incorrect this is. It's always the same crap to come out around the time a new game in this series is revealed.

You don't always have to reinvent the wheel every series, when fans will be happy with a revised experience with nip-and-tuck. Iterative franchises may not be vogue right now, but it'd be silly to claim CoD is the only one that does it. Battlefield... Quake... yadda.

Yes Battlefield and Quake, games well known for releasing yearly cookie-cutter sequels in the same setting.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Question is: when will the next innovation come? When will the series start getting threatened by it sales so it can actually do something different?

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
L1cAM.gif

You must be joking.

Well I was talking about since MW, I honestly thought MW2 was pretty poor and a literal copy/paste job with some added perks, as you said an evolution to killstreaks and spec ops

Treyarch tried to do something new with what they had to coninue, built a simple economy around what they already had and brought in a currency, improved upon Zombies which they had already created in the first place, created wager matches which modes you can now see in MW3, a SP campaign that imo was the best since MW and re-did profiles and such with more customisation options.
And let us not forget they actually tried to balance some of this nonsense out too, unlick IW who seemed to embrace to broken mechanics behind things like quick scoping which are pretty rampent on MW3.

I'm not going to pretend like IW didn't start all this or that Treyarch doesn't take what was there before and do it again, because that is exactly what they were brought in to do in the first place, but IW has gone downhill since MW and Treyarch continues to try new things and bring out a better balanced game.

MW3 was made by a shell of its former self in IW, but at least we got an update to Strike Package mechanics which I personally loved, and Infection mode is highly addictive, especially with friends, but the rest of the game is a bit broken.
The biggest crime being that Spec-Ops SUrvival is only 2-player, lol, what a let down.

L1cAM.gif

You must be joking.

IW moved the series forward in a good but conventional manner. Treyarch experiments with new and bold ideas.

Zombies, dolphin diving, wager matches, nova gas, motion detector camera spike, etc etc. Treyarch really does bring exciting new mechanics to the game. Their execution may not be as good as the old IW, but to call them creatively bankrupt is wrong.

edit: AND SPLITSCREEN ONLINE WAS ALWAYS TREYARCH (until MW3 which you don't want to talk about)

Yes Battlefield and Quake, games well known for releasing yearly cookie-cutter sequels in the same setting.

"Cookie-cutter" is overly reductionist. I won't deny that this "yearly" thing with CoD/Activision is a bit much, Activision sure does milk whatever is milkable, often to the point of slash and burn (Guitar Hero).

If we want to argue that this kind of milking is bad for a franchise, I'd agree. Too short a dev cycle, even if you have multiple devs, leads to franchise fatigue.

However, I think that's more on the player than the franchise. I played CoD1, 2, and then pretty much stopped for a long time, until MW3. Now I play MW3 a few hours every night with a buddy, and have a great time. I've not even touched the single player. I never tried Blops 1 until recently when I came across a copy, and while I enjoy it, it feels weird to me after so much MW3. Slower, I can't get a good feel for the guns, and the lobby reshuffle on quit/join during match intermission just annoyed me. That's not to say I think MW3 is perfect, spawnpoints love to hate me, but it's enjoyable, the guns feel good, I feel almost no lag.

Then I tried the Blops 1 campaign, and finished it in one sitting. It was so fresh and interesting, it kept my attention all the way through. Missions had variety in them, and there were quite a few setpiece missions ("Big Eye") that really surprised me. It made me want to try the MW3 campaign, actually. But I've not gotten to it yet.

I really don't get much of the hate leveraged at some games. It feels like half the time, people who kvetch about certain games, are sure to have never actually played them, or if they did, it was a weekend rental with a hostile attitude.

To a hostile critic, nothing is ever "unique or different". It's just "cookie cutter" or "derivative", even when a more level-headed observation shows otherwise. And if you're the type to play every-single-game of an iterative franchise, well, you're gonna get bored of eating the same type of thing. I love lasagna, but I can't eat it for every meal. Thank god there are other types of food.

And yet, people seem to expect CoD to be the bastion of "being new every single time", or it's a failure, which makes no sense. Not sure why the burden of trying to satisfy everyone, should be on a single franchise. Don't we have other games?

RooMHM

Besides, gameplay wise, why fix what ain't broke. You don't always have to reinvent the wheel every series, when fans will be happy with a revised experience with nip-and-tuck. Iterative franchises may not be vogue right now, but it'd be silly to claim CoD is the only one that does it. Battlefield... Quake... yadda.
wtfisthisshit.jpg

GrizzNKev

Banned
"Cookie-cutter" is overly reductionist. I won't deny that this "yearly" thing with CoD/Activision is a bit much, Activision sure does milk whatever is milkable, often to the point of slash and burn (Guitar Hero).

If we want to argue that this kind of milking is bad for a franchise, I'd agree. Too short a dev cycle, even if you have multiple devs, leads to franchise fatigue.

However, I think that's more on the player than the franchise. I played CoD1, 2, and then pretty much stopped for a long time, until MW3. Now I play MW3 a few hours every night with a buddy, and have a great time. I've not even touched the single player. I never tried Blops 1 until recently when I came across a copy, and while I enjoy it, it feels weird to me after so much MW3. Slower, I can't get a good feel for the guns, and the lobby reshuffle on quit/join during match intermission just annoyed me. That's not to say I think MW3 is perfect, spawnpoints love to hate me, but it's enjoyable, the guns feel good, I feel almost no lag.

I really don't get much of the hate leveraged at some games. It feels like half the time, people who kvetch about certain games, are sure to have never actually played them, or if they did, it was a weekend rental with a hostile attitude.

To a hostile critic, nothing is ever "unique or different". It's just "cookie cutter" or "derivative", even when a more level-headed observation shows otherwise.

The examples you used weren't even close to the level of similarity we see between CoD games. I don't have a problem with iterative releases or using the same ideas at all. I have a problem with reusing the same assets over and over while minimal new content is actually created.

Battlefield? Really? Look at BFBC2, then look at BF3. Gameplay reused? Sure, it keeps the concept of Battlefield what it always was. But anything else? Come on, man. I have trouble telling the difference between MW2 and MW3 in screenshots without a HUD or in 3rd person, and you're seriously pushing it if you think BF or Quake suffer from the same problem. They've even reused the same exact audio between CoD games in a ton of places.

VaLiancY

I wasn't expecting this type of Cold War. I was expecting proxy wars and wet works in the 70's and 80's. My hype levels went down after seeing this.

Top Bottom