• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Panther - Official Trailer

This looks fucking excellent, the music was better on the first trailer though.

Marvel firing on all cylinders, Thor looks fucking great as well.

Trailer was great! Really dug the first teaser but this one tops it.

I'm honestly not really knowledgeable about the character and world but thought BP was cool as hell in Civil War and everything shown and revealed for this has been on point, bar that first poster. lol

Any recommended reading BP to learn more or good arcs? Or do we already have a thread for info and recommendations?

Christopher Priest run, read it. It's on Marvel Unlimited or collected in two paperback volumes.

hydruxo

The part when he drops out of the ship after saying "I never freeze" is the most hype shit I've seen in a trailer in a while

I watched this trailer this morning on my phone when I was still in bed and when it got to that part I flipped out haha

Didn't care for the music in the context of a movie trailer. Felt out of place like it did on Pacific Rim. I liked what I saw though.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
The part when he drops out of the ship after saying "I never freeze" is the most hype shit I've seen in a trailer in a while

I watched this trailer this morning on my phone when I was still in bed and when it got to that part I flipped out haha
UkcvBJj.gif

Famassu

Looks way more visually and aesthetically appealing than any other marvel movie in recent memory. Coogler rising above that house of mouse assembly line design.
Thor Ragnarok looks to be amazing in this regards as well. And Guardians of the Galaxy was really good as well. Spider-Man Homecoming was a bit more pedestrian but that kind of fits the movie, it being a relatively down to earth highschool action comedy mostly set in the New York suburbs, not in a scifi African city.

Black Panther looks amazing with all the cool scifi x African culture mix but let's not act like all of Marvel has just been slacking off.

Famassu

Didn't care for the music in the context of a movie trailer. Felt out of place like it did on Pacific Rim. I liked what I saw though.
I dunno, I feel it fit this trailer really well. I don't usually like rap in trailers and it feels a bit cliche for a "black" movie to have rap in its trailer, but this had some punch to it while also managing to have some suitable epicness & hypeness to it at appropriate points later on in the trailer. And many points in the trailer were edited really well to fit perfectly with the music.

The music in the Pacific Rim trailer was just pathetically bad, but this worked, imo.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
'I have seen gods fly"

"I've seen men builds weapons I couldn't imagine"

"uhuh"

"I've seen aliens drop from the sky"

"yeah"

"but I have never seen anything like this. How much more are you hiding?"

"Hold up. Lets go!"

How can anyone hate the music in this trailer? So good.

I dunno, I feel it fit this trailer really well. I don't usually like rap in trailers and it feels a bit cliche for a "black" movie to have rap in its trailer, but this had some punch to it while also managing to have some suitable epicness & hypeness to it at appropriate points later on in the trailer. And many points in the trailer were edited really well to fit perfectly with the music.

The music in the Pacific Rim trailer was just pathetically bad, but this worked, imo.

Felt the same in Pacific Rim. Hype music to symbolize that things are gonna be taken to a whole new level.

'I have seen gods fly"

"I've seen men builds weapons I couldn't imagine"

"uhuh"

"I've seen aliens drop from the sky"

"yeah"

"but I have never seen anything like this. How much more are you hiding?"

"Hold up. Lets go!"

How can anyone hate the music in this trailer? So good.
It needs more Zimmer horns or Danny Elfman making the same theme over and over again. You know, real superhero music, not this hip hop rapper guy.

Garruson

Looks great.

Still a bit jarring for me, though, that the most advanced race is living in Africa, hidden away, whilst a lot of Africa remains poor.

hydruxo

Yeah I thought it worked really well in this trailer.

I didn't think the song is as bad as people saying it is but I definitely think "Legend Has It" was a hard act to follow and this didn't follow it well.

Same artist in both trailers. Vince Staples. Worked both times.

"Pathetically bad" lol

I didn't think the song is as bad as people saying it is but I definitely think "Legend Has It" was a hard act to follow and this didn't follow it well.

I thought the same. This worked well but fitting this trailer for “Legend Has It” and using something else for the first would have been better.

farisr

The only issues I had with the music selection in the trailer were the beginning "aha" "ye" "hol up" "les go". which is really not that big of a deal since it was done well still, and the out of rhythm and obviously delayed three-notes when Michael B Jordan's character's lines are being heard, which really annoyed me (probably more than it should). I would've split up the sentence to keep it in rhythm. The rest of it was spot on.

That part where he dropped out of the plane is especially hype. It's hype by itself, but the music was perfect as well imo.

I think the song in the Pacific Rim trailer was just shitty. Mixed badly and just didn't work with the trailer.

The drums kick up Boyega's speech, "War Ready" being shouted to emphasize the new generation being bred to fight monsters, and then Tupac comes in and the trailers is all "SHITS ABOUT TO GET REAL NOW."

Chefs kiss.

Not

Banned
I think it's why they have BP's suit glowing purple and Killmonger's glowing gold/yellow. But it could've looked neat had Killmonger's suit been white or silver. Almost like Godspeed from The Flash.

AC46ryK.jpg

I think it's neat how artists are finally adding more titillating detail to that skintight junk area

Asbel

Looks fun. Action packed. No jokes. Not that I don't want jokes but was thinking this franchise could be a good fit to carry on the tone of the cap movies.

As a side note, The Jaguar suit might be old or a throwback to the BP comics in the 60's where he wore that suit to differentiate himself from the Black Panther Party.

Garruson

Wakandans are notorious isolationists. They even invented a cure for cancer and didn’t share it with the world.

I mean I have no knowledge of the comics, but in that case they see like twats.

Is it explained how a civilisation in Africa also became extremely technologically advanced? In the trailer someone mentions something about seeing Aliens come to Earth and people fly, I assumed Wakanda was an Alien civilisation or learned technology from Aliens.

It just makes no sense to me how an African civilisation without any contact from outside influence were able to have such technological feats, let alone without any other parts of Africa even having the slightest hints of it.

Wakandans are notorious isolationists. They even invented a cure for cancer and didn’t share it with the world.

Yeah, this one has been a bit of a gray area in the comics.

Some runs make it so that Wakanda has always been a shadow player, but still isolationist, while others have them extremely isolationist until T'Challa.

The run that brings up the cure for cancer, also has them acting as shadow players helping out throughout history, just not blatantly.

Is it explained how a civilisation in Africa also became extremely technologically advanced? In the trailer someone mentions something about seeing Aliens come to Earth and people fly, I assumed Wakanda was an Alien civilisation or learned technology from Aliens.

It just makes no sense to me how an African civilisation without any contact from outside influence were able to have such technological feats, let alone without any other parts of Africa even having the slightest hints of it.

Jesus Christ

Africa is an entire continent, it's very large with many nations, groups and cultures.

You're having a meltdown over Wakanda being so advanced while being consumed with outdated stereotypes of what you think "Africa" is like meanwhile there are millions of homeless and poor people throughout the American continent let alone the United States but I doubt you have serious expectations that the USA is going to change that

They have ancient alien technology that's why. It is weird that their world is secret.

However, Marvel-Earth has a lot of secret locations the regular world has no clue about. (The Savage Land, The Blue side of the moon, whereever it is the Inhumans live etc...)

Top Bottom