• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Panther - Official Trailer

LotusHD

Banned
Tony can build a nuclear reactor in a cave with just a weilding torch

Captain America can get a shot in the ass and suddenly he can bench press a helicopter

Thor can fly by twirling a hammer

But Black People with computers is where it gets TOOOOOO CRAZYYYY

LOL every time I tell you

Lmao

Don't get how people are hating on the perfect usage of Vince Staples in this trailer. It fit with it perfectly.

Bummer its looking more like standard Marvel. Loved the first trailer, hit like a brick

What does this even mean?

Now the fun begins.

Simply a warmup before Ragnarok blows our socks off and some people are incapable of handling it. And that will be child's play compared to Justice League, however it's received.

Never change, GAF.

Garruson

I think some people infer racism from "How did Wakanda achieve this?" questioning. I'm also inclined to ask those questions, and over-analyse the fiction. In reality Wakanda is technologically advanced because Stan Lee thought it would be a nice change of pace to represent an African country that way, or maybe just to sell comic books.

I don't know if there's a compelling in-canon explanation. I'd just assume that Wakanda is a country that takes the sciences seriously - funding that directly rather than wars, or entertainment distractions.

I can understand that. I'd be asking how Wakanda achieved it if it was based somewhere else in the world which would be implausible like the poles or somewhere else desolate. As it's unbelievable for such a technology to derive form them just having Vibranium as a resuource as people have said that it came from. I'm just going to assume that their people are extremely intelligent and that Vibranium is not the only source for such technologies that they have. That's what I find implausible, not that it IS implausible.

Like I said, a lot of technologies, especially medicine (anatomy, understanding of the body due to war, medical discoveries) derive from cultures in some form interacting with other cultures. Them being isolationist is what I don't understand.

But I'll drop it at that, no intention of inflaming sensitive people over such a topic as clearly it has too much tensions attached to it for people not to get heated...

Neece

Because it isn't predicated on catch-all magic. It's "there are human beings on planet Earth that managed to achieve this", and I think it's fairly natural to ask "How?".

I think that's a misconception. If I was told Sweden in the MCU had achieved a technological utopia it would illicit the same questions.

So you had this same concern with Tony Stark’s technology that he created in a cave and the super serum technology that transformed Steve into a super human?

I see that some comments that are critical of the music (which kicked ass in this trailer but not in Pacific Rim 2's trailer) or content of the trailer are eliciting veiled accusations of racism, just like in the PR2 thread. Be better than that. If OMG HYPEEEEEE!!!1! posts are okay, the opposite should be true as well.

I think this is the best trailer Marvel has put out, other than maybe the original teaser, but I can see how, like every film ever made, this wouldn't have universal appeal.

People lamenting that Wakanda hasn't shared its technology with other Africans because lol they're all black are racist though. Did you bat an eye when Tony Stark created a war ending super suit and didn't just give them away for free to all his fellow whites?

Not

Banned
Tony can build a nuclear reactor in a cave with just a weilding torch

Captain America can get a shot in the ass and suddenly he can bench press a helicopter

Thor can fly by twirling a hammer

But Black People with computers is where it gets TOOOOOO CRAZYYYY

LOL every time I tell you

Sigh

So many people are still racist because they're not taught what the word "racism" means

Not

Banned
NZr2Yeg.jpg

When you have an exclusive resource the rest of the world desperately wants and will pay insane amounts of money for, and the passion to train the best scientists in the world and create the most advanced technology in the world, it's not surprising that Wakanda got to where it is.

Wakanda has never had to fight a war outside its borders and has never fallen to an invasion. It has developed unhindered for thousands of years. It SHOULD be more advanced than the rest of the world.

Big Blue

Jesus, theyve just made up everything, its far too OTT for me, i mean a part of he world is like an alien planet, technology that makes no sense (beyond suspension of disbelief). Also that guy with all those disgusting bumps over his body, making my hair stand up, if i keep looking at him im going to have a physical reaction, seriously i breakout in a rash when i wince like this.

It looks like a train-wreck to me, just awful.

So let me get this straight, we have...

Norse gods teleporting to Earth on a Rainbow
A talking racoon
An alien invasion started by an evil norse god
A magician travelling through dimensions

But this is too much for you? Ladies and gentlemen, this is prejudice.

A talking racoon

It was inevitable. We're only seeing the start of it. I don't want to look at Youtube/Twitter comments on these trailers because they'll be full of "omg how racist they made these africans smarter, wealthier and better than america, so unrealistic"

I can understand that. I'd be asking how Wakanda achieved it if it was based somewhere else in the world which would be implausible like the poles or somewhere else desolate. As it's unbelievable for such a technology to derive form them just having Vibranium as a resuource as people have said that it came from. I'm just going to assume that their people are extremely intelligent and that Vibranium is not the only source for such technologies that they have. That's what I find implausible, not that it IS implausible.

Like I said, a lot of technologies, especially medicine (anatomy, understanding of the body due to war, medical discoveries) derive from cultures in some form interacting with other cultures. Them being isolationist is what I don't understand.

But I'll drop it at that, no intention of inflaming sensitive people over such a topic as clearly it has too much tensions attached to it for people not to get heated...

Well, not just that they're smart. Some Wakandans actually do travel outside of their borders. The OG Wakanda story put their rapid technological advancement all on T'Challa. Effectively, he went to America, studied, and since he was so smart, brought a lot back to his people.

Even though current Wakanda has been a smart civilization for centuries, T'Challa is still said to have gotten outside education from the US & UK iirc. Wakandans have travelled to other countries, and you can't neglect the wars they fight at their own borders.

And considering how precious and advanced Vibranium is - that is the war that spurs technological advancement.

Alienous

So you had this same concern with Tony Stark's technology that he created in a cave and the super serum technology that transformed Steve into a super human?

I don't have "concern" for any of this. But with Tony Stark you don't have to accept much more than the McGuffin of "he can build this fusion reactor", with Steve it's "OK, there's this super steroid". With Black Panther it's "there's a hidden technological utopia somewhere in Africa", which makes me wonder about its history, and how it ended up being. It just brings up more questions, as it would if it were a spontaneous, hidden technological utopia in any other part of the world.

I'm really only wondering what deviation from the world we actually live in could have resulted in something like that. It could be as simple as a culture that puts scientific progress before all else, and the compound effect of that over centuries. Or Vibranium being an energy resource that afforded them the ability to build rather than get engaged in conflicts.

Honestly the only over the top part is how the suit goes on, but it’s looking like Shuri’ll explain that at a point. Like, it’s new tech even for T’Challa. His old suit he put on one leg at a time. Not to mention that sort of technology existing in the universe, just not yet seen on Earth.

Not

Banned
Yeah sure OK Norse gods are real and they're an alien race

Wait, an African country can be more advanced than a European one BACK THE FUCK UP

conpfreak

Honestly the only over the top part is how the suit goes on, but it’s looking like Shuri’ll explain that at a point. Like, it’s new tech even for T’Challa. His old suit he put on one leg at a time. Not to mention that sort of technology existing in the universe, just not yet seen on Earth.

The suit transformation is basically taken from Ta-Nehisi Coates's current run.

Seesaw15

People can buy into a movie called Ant Man where a smart white dude invents a sub atomic shrinking suit and talks to ants but Black Panther is too far?
nick-young-confused-face-300x256_nqlyaa.jpg

WaterAstro

Wakanda does not have ancient alien technology; at least, it's not the source of their technological advancement.

What they have is the largest source of the rare and powerful metal Vibranium, which they sold small amounts of for massive wealth.
Wut? Do you even know Wakanda in the comics?

They have developed planetary terraforming technology. They are the most advanced civilizations.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
They need to just to sign Coogler and the cast to a 2nd and 3rd film based off the trailer alone.

The cast is definitely signed on for multiple movies and there's no doubt that Black Panther will get a trilogy like other heroes. Marvel is real good about bringing back directors, too, so it wouldn't surprise me that Coogler will be back if he really wants.

And it's not that different from how Starlord's mask can materialize from a device on the side of his head. It's technology that has been shown to exist in the Marvel universe and shows how far ahead of the game Wakanda is.

Neece

I don't have "concern" for any of this. But with Tony Stark you don't have to accept much more than the McGuffin of "he can build this fusion reactor", with Steve it's "OK, there's this super steroid". With Black Panther it's "there's a hidden technological utopia somewhere in Africa", which makes me wonder about its history, and how it ended up being. It just brings up more questions, as it would if it were a spontaneous, hidden technological utopia in any other part of the world.

I'm really only wondering what deviation from the world we actually live in could have resulted in something like that. It could be as simple as a culture that puts scientific progress before all else, and the compound effect of that over centuries. Or Vibranium being an energy resource that afforded them the ability to build rather than get engaged in conflicts.

Does this seem plausible enough?

Wakanda Wiki
Knowing that others would attempt to manipulate and dominate Wakanda for this rare and valuable resource, T'Chaka conceals his country from the outside world. He sells off minute amounts of the valuable vibranium while surreptitiously sending the country's best scholars to study abroad, consequently turning Wakanda into one of the world's most technologically advanced nations.

Seems simple enough to me.

1. Wakandan people find a super rare resource with amazing properties that only exists on their land.
2. They sell some of it for huge amounts of riches. Money isn't a problem.
3. They form a nation and isolate it, sending their top scholars around the world to study.
4. They use their riches and top scholars to build with this amazing resource.
5. They use the technology they build to help hide the small nation (in a part of the world no one buys as credible in the first place).

I would think you don't have to accept more than that, and it's not any more incredulous than the origins of everything else MCU related.

And it's not that different from how Starlord's mask can materialize from a device on the side of his head. It's technology that has been shown to exist in the Marvel universe and shows how far ahead of the game Wakanda is.

Yeah. Mentioned that.

And there’s an argument that Spider-Man’s suit applies some of those ideas for Earth tech. Plus we know Shuri is smarter than Tony Stark.

The Kree

Banned

You can ask just as many questions about Tony's spontaneously amazing intellect that didn't decide to shrink down the arc reactor until the plot needed him to and why he hasn't solved earth's renewable energy problem yet despite clearly being capable.

You could ask what Dr. Erskine was smoking when he made that steroid that somehow lets Steve metabolize alcohol so fast that he can't get drunk.

The questions can go on and on and on about how Asgardians achieved interdimensional travel and the practicality of flying power armor that doesn't immediately fall apart when you take a single step in it and what kind of material Hulk is wearing that fits any size person without ripping and why all clothes sold in stores aren't made of the same stuff because holy shit that would be really convenient for everybody.

But those questions never come. So many questions never come.

A talking racoon

In this framing, it seems so silly, doesn't it. And yet, here we are.

Alienous

People can buy into a movie called Ant Man where a smart white dude invents a sub atomic shrinking suit but Black Panther is too far?

People tend to accept a McGuffin that's the catalyst for why a fictional world is different to our own (like "What if the means to achieve shrinking technology was discovered", or "What if Norse mythology was based on an alien race"). Magic is an easy catch-all to explain all sorts of nonsense. I think with Wakanda (which doesn't have the luxury of magic) "What if there were a hidden technologically unrivalled utopia on Earth" requires a history to explain how that would result from the Earth we know, which:

Does this seem plausible enough?

Seems simple enough to me.

1. Wakandan people find a super rare resource with amazing properties that only exists on their land.
2. They sell some of it for huge amounts of riches. Money isn't a problem.
3. They form a nation and isolate it, sending their top scholars around the world to study.
4. They use their riches and top scholars to build with this amazing resource.
5. They use the technology they build to help hide the small nation (in a part of the world no one buys as credible in the first place).

I would think you don't have to accept more than that, and it's not any more incredulous as the origins of everything else MCU related.

I think this is a good explanation of. They're endowed with a special and valuable mineral, and sell it, then are able to buy resources without getting involved in conflicts, and mine the world for the pinnacle of its knowledge while innovating on it in isolation. The single McGuffin of "What if a country solely had this amazing resource" could be the catalyst for Wakanda existing.

Not

Banned
Wakanda's first appearances are Marvel as all hell:

wakandadebutpanel.jpg

bp2.jpg

The hangup here is definitely a racism thing

We're learning that pretty much everything in the world is a racism thing, and that's pretty much why people have been screaming for decades that it's not

Top Bottom