• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blade Runner 2049 |OT| Do Androids Dream of Electric Boogaloo? [Unmarked Spoilers]

"I hope you enjoyed the product"

That was my favorite line in the whole film. Fucking brilliant

To answer your question: nah, I don't think it matters if it's "real" or not, at that point.

Luv was such an asshole and I loved her for it. She's a different sort of antagonist than Roy was in the original, but she was perfect in the context of K's personal story arc. Best goddamn Terminator we've seen since the T-1000 in T2: Judgement Day.

She did. She sold their relationship. Not to mention that she's drop dead gorgeous

Right on all accounts.

This is a good point. After seeing the films back to back in the double feature, yeah the baddies in the original were much better and booming with personality

Yeah, but I think the comparison isn't quite as strong once you settle back in and realize that Luv is the main villain of 2049, not Wallace. He's more the Tyrell of the film and fits more into the overarching conflict that's going on across it all, while Luv is the central antagonist to K's personal story.

Luv still isn't quite on par with Rutger Hauer misquoting the likes of William Blake and waxing lyrical about C-beams on Tennhauser Gate, but she certainly gets the job done overall.

Surfinn

Luv was such an asshole and I loved her for it. She's a different sort of antagonist than Roy was in the original, but she was perfect in the context of K's personal story arc. Best goddamn Terminator we've seen since the T-1000 in T2: Judgement Day.

Right on all accounts.

Yeah, but I think the comparison isn't quite as strong once you settle back in and realize that Luv is the main villain of 2049, not Wallace. He's more the Tyrell of the film and fits more into the overarching conflict that's going on across it all, while Luv is the central antagonist to K's personal story.

Luv still isn't quite on par with Rutger Hauer misquoting the likes of William Blake and waxing lyrical about C-beams on Tennhauser Gate, but she certainly gets the job done overall.

I actually thought Luv was fantastic for what she was in the film. She did have some great moments. But after seeing the villains' crazy antics and inner workings in the original, Leto's Wallace does feel underwhelming. He wasn't bad, but just passable to me.

That was a really good movie. Will need to see it again. Random thoughts follow.

I thought the music was more subtle, but excellent. Not genre defining like the original though.

Joi might be the most interesting character in the movie.
Was her love real? What is real? It was real to her, is that all there is to it? Does it matter she was designed to? Her nature brilliantly hinted at with the dog, too. Ask him.
Wallace was neat, not as quotable as Tyrell though. A little too obviously evil, I think he could've been a little more ambiguous and aloof.

Revolution:
Rise of the Replicants, eh, whatever.
I would have arranged the ending ever so slightly differently. Maybe in the Final Cut.

Some unfortunate incidents of stupid audience syndrome where we have a flashback or a character explain something that's obvious if you pay attention.
Stupid Joi and the horse reveal. Would have been much better to have just a straight flashback of him flipping it over to reveal the date instead of Joi literally telling us that it's the same as were looking at it.

Claire Underwood came dangerously close to replicant sex, right? Right?

Super beautiful shots, amazing color choices. Duh it's not as iconic as the original, it almost by definition can't be; it's a sequel.

In terms of pacing, it's much more engaging than the original. I loved the original, too, but it takes some investment to watch attentively.

Deckard is a ????? Well played, movie.

Surfinn

Although this film had some breathtakingly beautiful cinematography/use of color/well balanced sets, I will say that I wish some scenes didn't look as "washed out", like a gray shade that just drowns out the screen. TFA kinda had this problem too, with some bland color choices from time to time.

Some scenes looked kinda meh and unrealized, and others looked phenomenal, to me anyway.

I liked it. Rate as an 8.5/10.

Some of the Villenueve's directing was just too boring or predictable. For instance, that last shot of Ford with his hand on the window was underwhelming. Lots of the wide shots are beautiful though. The Luv action fight sequence wasn't the best either; so K magically had the strength to not die from bullet and stabs. Visuals 9/10.

The worst part of the movie, however, is the plot. There's just some big plot conveniences that it just takes me out of the movie:

1. K "illegally" has the daughter's memory
2. K meets the daughter
3. The daughter is Wallace's best memory subcontractor
4. Luv gets away stealing and killing in the morgue
5. Luv gets away stealing and killing the police chief
6. The car fight was poorly done. Those two cars were conveniently destroyed so fast, and Luv had no contingency plan
7. The prostitutes work for the one-eyed replicant boss lady who was there at the daughter's birth. Why did the prostitutes even want to track K?

I actually thought Luv was fantastic for what she was in the film. She did have some great moments. But after seeing the villains' crazy antics and inner workings in the original, Leto's Wallace does feel underwhelming. He wasn't bad, but just passable to me.

Oh I agree, the villain area is one of the few parts of the original that I don't think 2049 quite beats. I'm just saying that I don't really see Wallace as the main antagonist of the film is all. He's certainly a villain, but it's more that he generally fits more into "the big picture" against the replicant rebellion and Deckard's personal story. Luv, on the other hand, is the one with a bit of a rivalry going on with K and the physical manifestation of his primary conflicts in the film.

It's kind of like The Empire Strikes Back in structure- Luv is Vader, Wallace is the Emperor and K is Luke.

Why was Luv always crying?

Why does K care in the end if he's been the non-chosen one the whole time? Just because he felt the feelings like a real boy?

Snaku

Banned
Fucking brilliant movie, like it was made by a replicant. More Blade Runner than Blade Runner. Joi stole my heart, and was the emotional anchor this story and Joe needed.

Gonna need to see it a few more times before it really sinks in, but it's easily one of the best sequels ever made.

Surfinn

It's kind of like The Empire Strikes Back in structure- Luv is Vader, Wallace is the Emperor and K is Luke.

Ah. Finally a language I can understand

My problem though is that the emperor has like a 30 second scene with Vader in empire. He's more of a mystical evil force behind Vader (foreshadowing of things to come), whereas Wallace gets a decent amount of screen time but doesn't really go anywhere.

I get what you're saying about Luv being the main baddie though.

She was really fun but could have been so much more. They could have expanded on things like when she said to Robin Wright "you think none of us lie?" or what was behind her shedding tears when she was about to kill her, or when she watched Wallace kill the replicant. Even if she was only ever meant to be Wallace's lapdog, there was definitely a bit left on the table with exploring the depth of her devotion.

That said, her ordering missile strikes nonchalantly while getting her nails done was one of my favorite scenes in the entire movie.

Why does K care in the end if he's been the non-chosen one the whole time? Just because he felt the feelings like a real boy?

The main thread of the movie and a big part of why its so long is to show how lost and alienated K is. He's a lonely person spat on by everyone who doesn't know what his place is outside of doing the job mandated to him by the government, or Wallace or whomever. He has no parents, his memories are lies, and his girlfriend can't even touch him. So it made sense to me that if he had a inkling he might have real parents out there, he'd latch onto that to get some sense of meaning and purpose.

Because he let himself get caught up in a fantasy.

K associated the concept of having a soul being something that comes as a result of natural childbirth, and so saw himself as being "soulless." Once he started to suspect the possibility that he might be the missing child, it got K's hopes up that he was a modern day Pinocchio. A real boy with a real soul. It's part of why he gets all agitated when questioning Deckard at Vegas about Rachel; he thinks he's asking about his legitimate mother.

And then he realizes that he was just a copy made as a decoy for someone else entirely. It's not so much that he cares that he's not "the chosen one," rather it's more that he's ripped away from the fantasy of having a family that wanted him and satisfying his own personal beliefs about having a soul.

Said it better than I did.

K associated the concept of having a soul being something that comes as a result of natural childbirth, and so saw himself as being "soulless." Once he started to suspect the possibility that he might be the missing child, it got K's hopes up that he was a modern day Pinocchio. A real boy with a real soul. It's part of why he gets all agitated when questioning Deckard at Vegas about Rachel; he thinks he's asking about his legitimate mother.

And then he realizes that he was just a copy made as a decoy for someone else entirely. It's not so much that he cares that he's not "the chosen one," rather it's more that he's ripped away from the fantasy of having a family that wanted him and satisfying his own personal beliefs about having a soul.

I'm gonna need a high quality image of giant Joi pointing at K. I loved that shot so much in the trailer and so much still. It's wallpaper material.

One of the first high res stills released. Here you go.

blade-runner-2049-image.jpg

Edit: I'll check tomorrow at work, but I think there's like a 4k/8k version of this on the WB press site.

mrkgoo

This is a good point. After seeing the films back to back in the double feature, yeah the baddies in the original were much better and booming with personality

It's not just that - the original Blade Runner movie was as much their story as the protagonists. Not so in the new one. It's all about the good guys.

Ah. Finally a language I can understand

My problem though is that the emperor has like a 30 second scene with Vader in empire. He's more of a mystical evil force behind Vader (foreshadowing of things to come), whereas Wallace gets a decent amount of screen time but doesn't really go anywhere.

I get what you're saying about Luv being the main baddie though.

It depends on whether or not we ever see a followup film to 2049 or not. If we do (and I kinda hope we don't), I have a feeling Wallace will come back to play a substantially bigger role as a villain there against the more macro-scaled conflict between humans and the Replicant Rebellion that K ran into right at the start of the third act of the film.

Surfinn

It depends on whether or not we ever see a followup film to 2049 or not. If we do (and I kinda hope we don't), I have a feeling Wallace will come back to play a substantially bigger role as a villain there against the more macro-scaled conflict between humans and the Replicant Rebellion that K ran into right at the start of the third act of the film.

Seems like there's too much shit left untold for there not to be another sequel

For me, it’s better than the original, which is saying something given how highly I regard the first Blade Runner.

Absolutely phenomenal film made by an expert craftsman.

I cannot wait for this man to direct Dune.

Metal B

Also he is completely okay with the illusion at the end. JOI's character shows, that he loved her, even so it is not clear, that her love may have been just a "feature". But it was real for him.
The theme of the movie was, just because something is not real (Replicans, KIs or being someone's child), doesn't make the emotion around it unreal. Be able to have those emotions, was the most important aspect for K. It made him feel, having a soul.

Metal B

Deckard has an arc at least. bad guys have nothing!
They don't need to. In the first movie the villans were part of the theme and the focus. Deckard was opposing an replcant. In this one Deckard gets help from a replcant.
I loved how BR2049 didn't try to repeat the story beats and themes of the first movie. It's its own thing.

They don't need to. In the first movie the villans were part of the theme and the focus. Deckard was opposing an replcant. In this one Deckard gets help from a replcant.
I loved how BR2049 didn't try to repeat the story beats and themes of the first movie. It's its own thing.

Yeah, it's a deep exploration of life as a Replicant in the even more oppressive and fucked up world of Blade Runner since the original.

El Topo

Given the focus on K it feels like there is a lot going on that we never see as well. Bits and pieces that shine through.

BlizzKrut

Banned
I'm trying to reply here without looking at whatever is posted but I wanted to know, I accidentally saw a "fan-made" picture of Ryan Gosling with Replicant eyes, tell me (without spoilers if you can please), did I just ruin the movie for myself?

Listening to the Blade Runner 25th Anniversary soundtrack right now...I think the music is by far what really brings down the movie for me. When there's any music, since there are long stretches of time where nothing plays. The music and use of music in this movie just makes me sad compared to Vangelis' original score.

Even the third disc made of new material which a lot of people disregard is so good compared to the droning noise of this movie. :|

For me Blade Runner is eminently an audiovisual experience, and when the sequel totally shits the bed of one half of the equation, well that just ain't right. It just lacks anything resembling personality or melody. The only memorable piece is a recreation of Tears in Rain.

The Telegraph claims Vangelis wasn't even asked to work on the project. You fucked up Denis.

The only “fuck up” Dennis made was deigning to actually make something that stands apart from the original rather than some feeble, carbon clone that clings to the vestiges of a thirty-five-year-old movie.

In doing so, he made a film superior to the original, at least in my estimation.

And I personally loved the soundtrack because it was both similar and different, which perfectly encapsulates the overall feel of this sequel.

He made his film his way, without worrying about ticking those fanboy/nostalgia boxes to make his movie seem more like it’s predecessor.

What you see as weaknesses I would argue are the film’s greatest strengths. He made something that serves as an excellent sequel but perhaps what’s more impressive, he made something that doesn’t need the first film to still be relevant and spectacular.

I love thinking back on the story now that Agent K's whole contribution to it was really just being a good detective and realizing this dream was real, whether it was his or not. I love him just laying back on the stairs and realizing it was a job well-done. He may not get to see the revolution that is to come, but he was the spark that ignited it. Goslong did really amazing work.

Man, I feel like this world holds so many possibilities now when I just assumed going in this was going to be a one and done. I hope there's at least one more film after this but even if there isn't, I feel like we witnessed a satisfying conclusion to Dekkard's and K's arc's. I feel like we just touched the surface of Wallace and the uprising though so I hope this film does well.

Also, especially after seeing, I wish they had called the film simply BLADE RUNNERS. It just feels fitting when after this five-hour saga, we end on two Blade Runners, one a human and one a replicant, who worked together to spark the start a revolution that could end replicant enslavement and possibly even humankind. I love that in the end, the Blade Runner saga was really a buddy-cop movie!

El Topo

I'm trying to reply here without looking at whatever is posted but I wanted to know, I accidentally saw a "fan-made" picture of Ryan Gosling with Replicant eyes, tell me (without spoilers if you can please), did I just ruin the movie for myself?

It's revealed/clear from the very beginning.

Kadayi

Banned
One-eye makes it clear there was only one baby. She also mentions how everyone else also thought they were the chosen one, and that's how they "believed.". I took that to mean they also had that memory implanted in them, maybe on purpose by Rachel Jr. to assemble her revolutionary army or really who fucking knows.

My read was that the Daughter had put the memory out there like a message in a bottle in the hope that someday it would bring her back to her parents in some fashion.

Dead

well not really...yet
Stunning movie. Villeneuve has the Midas touch, he's the real fucking deal as if that wasn't obvious already.

A worthy follow up to a classic that thematically stands on it's own. Almost surreal that this got made and is as good as it is.

Voliko

Completely lived up to my hype. Nailed the visuals while staying mostly consistent with the original visual style. Some truly amazing landscapes. The story was pretty good, some of the twists were nicely crafted, but even if the story was complete shit the visuals alone would still carry this movie

Some of the Villenueve's directing was just too boring or predictable. For instance, that last shot of Ford with his hand on the window was underwhelming. Lots of the wide shots are beautiful though. The Luv action fight sequence wasn't the best either; so K magically had the strength to not die from bullet and stabs. Visuals 9/10.

The worst part of the movie, however, is the plot. There's just some big plot conveniences that it just takes me out of the movie:

2. K meets the daughter
6. The car fight was poorly done. Those two cars were conveniently destroyed so fast, and Luv had no contingency plan
7. The prostitutes work for the one-eyed replicant boss lady who was there at the daughter's birth. Why did the prostitutes even want to track K?

I kind of think some of these make sense in the context of the movie.

1.) K was purposefully implanted with that memory to awaken his soul. A big theme of the movie is how the memories shape their souls/humanity, I think the point was that they were implanting this catalyst into the memories of replicants to trigger this change.

2/3) I think it makes sense for the daughter to be the best memory maker, because that was literally the replicants' plan for building their revolution. Through her experience as a "replicant" with a soul who had a real childhood but an artificial adult life she is able to craft perfect memories for Replicants that have artificial childhoods but real adult lives such that even though they know they are fake they can use them as the basis for their humanity.

4/5) Kind of agree this is stupid, but I took it to be the Wallace Corp having a ton of influence that orchestrated it offscreen.

6.) Agreed, thought this part was kind of silly, and was just thrown in b/c they wanted action in the climax, would have preferred the climax to be something more similar to the first film with a similar interplay between how the implanted memories shaped Luv and K into different but equally real personalities.

7.) We saw the prostitute receiving orders from someone early in the movie when he is looking at a pictures of the tree (which she would also recognize), they were aware he was on the case as he is the one who took out Bautista's character and they presumably have access to the police.

The police did seem pretty incompetent lol

I like how when u see the daughter the second time it really clicks that she looks and has rachels mannerisms (the gentle voice)

2. K meets the daughter

To me the biggest plot hole is that they go to such lengths showing how powerful Wallace is, to the point that presumably Luv gets away with killing two cops because of him, yet he has almost no manpower to try and track down Deckard and then keep him protected when transporting him.

El Topo

To me the biggest plot hole is that they go to such lengths showing how powerful Wallace is, to the point that presumably Luv gets away with killing two cops because of him, yet he has almost no manpower to try and track down Deckard and then keep him protected when transporting him.

They have no idea whatsoever that someone would attack them. Why would they? They don't even bother to kill K when they take Deckard away. They clearly don't suspect anyone else is involved.

What if Wallace's plan is for them to lead him to the child?

Karsha

Maybe its been said but I thought the ending was a tribute to Cowboy Bebop? Movie was fantastic, inferior to the original(but for me thats the best sci phi movie ever made) but with some great shots and themes. IMHO the worst part was the plot, kinda weak with some stuff that is left unexplained to the point that it makes it seem like they are plot holes.

El Topo

What if Wallace's plan is for them to lead him to the child?

That's possible. There seems to be a lot going on in this world that we never even get a glimpse of. That said, I don't think I noticed anything to support the theory within the movie itself.

Maybe its been said but I thought the ending was a tribute to Cowboy Bebop?

It heavily mirrors the original Blade Runner, right down to the soundtrack. Maybe the last shot itself might be, been a while since I saw Cowboy Bebop.

kirblar

Maybe its been said but I thought the ending was a tribute to Cowboy Bebop? Movie was fantastic, inferior to the original(but for me thats the best sci phi movie ever made) but with some great shots and themes. IMHO the worst part was the plot, kinda weak with some stuff that is left unexplained to the point that it makes it seem like they are plot holes.
"Detective/lead dies at the end" is a pretty standard trope in noir-inspired media. Cowboy Bebop didn't originate it.

Anime didn't invent everything.

That's possible. There seems to be a lot going on in this world that we never even get a glimpse of. That said, I don't think I noticed anything to support the theory within the movie itself.
I need an exact quote of his dialogue with Deckard, but I got the impression he is willing to do a lot to get what he wants.

It's been 2 days since I saw it.

I enjoyed it on the moment for its visual but... It's blade runner sequel... it's been 30 years, everything the movie tries to tell, have been already been told in the 30 years of SF that got inspired by the original. It's a good sequel but 30 years too late.

Random note :
- amazing visual and shot composition. Sometimes full Villeneuve, sometimes straight out of paintings (wallace interiors)
- Very disapointing by the other interiors. None felt very oragnic. From K's place, police station... Everything felt like cheap, container SF... Nothing like the original amazing, organic set.
- How did K get 2 cop cars AFTER being stripped from badge & guns, after his boss was out of the picture ?
- This movie will be a hit in japanese. Holy crap. Virtual GF calling android hooker for you ? They will go crazy about this. So much waifu
- Just like Ex Machina, the movie is way to obvious. I don't mean to be that guy saying " I saw it coming " but It's WAY to obvious, the plot is way to convenient. The movie gives you too much to think that K IS the born, to the point its too easy. There must be a twist and when it happens, well DUH, you know it was coming. So by this point, you don't care too much for two reasons : first, you know there's a girl and she HAS to have been introduced to the audience so there's only two choices, either Wallace's android or the girl in the sterile bubble. No way Wallace wasn't aware his own nexus was born so... Not much room to wiggle about eh ? Second : well K is meaningless to the bigger picture now.
- Did you see the shadow on the horse, making a unicorn, in the morning when the hooker wakes up and picks it up ?
- What was the car's brand ? I think it's localized by country. No way Peugeot got this deal internationaly haha
- I like how they matched Rachel's role to the original novel ending. It's a huge slap in the face of the fan of the original movie, especially after 30 years but yay for more accurate adaptation ?
- I actually like Jared Leto VERY MUCH. He felt like a robot preacher. The way he moved, the pacing of his words, it was very troubling, very engaging, especially the Yes No ? with Deckard with his face facing away then coming back to deckard on the rethorical No ?

Karsha

"Detective/lead dies at the end" is a pretty standard trope in noir-inspired media. Cowboy Bebop didn't originate it.

At a staircase injured alone with snow while the camera zooming out was pretty specific IMHO but it might be just a coincidence

Top Bottom