• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blade Runner 2049 |OT| Do Androids Dream of Electric Boogaloo? [Unmarked Spoilers]

Slixshot

Banned
Don't really think BR needs another sequel. I'll watch it. But I don't think a robot uprising movie is what BR is all about and what you'd want to watch on screen.

especially not with that boring AF daughter, one eyed rebellion leader or the hooker bot.

agreed. Let your imaginations run wild with what could possibly happen. What we get to experience in this universe is just a tear in rain.

Just got out.

I’ll probably jump in to some other threads people got going tomorrow but all I gotta say is blessings to whatever high up suits that gave this the green light, it’s a Fury Road level of craziness of why would you give a person so much money to make something like this?

But then you see it and then you remember all the talent that went into it and how that comes across in almost every facet.

Sure it definitely comes across as a more gussied up and hand holding movie than the OG one but even a slightly more streamlined Blade Runner movie this good is still fucking Blade Runner.

This shit is amazing just by sheer virtue of existing in 2017 but it still kicks ass on its own terms.

saw it at a double feature

it's better

I'm seeing it again next Tuesday, in imax.

3uSL1Fu.jpg

Just got out.

I'll probably jump in to some other threads people got going tomorrow but all I gotta say is blessings to whatever high up suits that gave this the green light, it's a Fury Road level of craziness of why would you give a person so much money to make something like this?

But then you see it and then you remember all the talent that went into it and how that comes across in almost every facet.

This shit is amazing just by sheer virtue of existing in 2017 but it still kicks ass as a movie.

The best thing that could have ever happened to this film was Ridley Scott having to step away from directing it himself and the reins subsequently going to Denis Villeneuve instead. He and Roger Deakins are a huge reason as to why this film is so damn great.

saw it at a double feature

it's better

I'm seeing it again next Tuesday, in imax.

3uSL1Fu.jpg

I noticed someone mention this in one of the reviews last week, but it really feels like Villeneuve's career has been building up to this film. You can see traces of a lot of his other films in Blade Runner 2049; the surrealism and nods to Kafka from Enemy, the emotionally driven sci-fi narrative from Arrival, the intense violence from Incendies, Prisoners and Sicario.

jett

D-Member
Listening to the Blade Runner 25th Anniversary soundtrack right now...I think the music is by far what really brings down the movie for me. When there's any music, since there are long stretches of time where nothing plays. The music and use of music in this movie just makes me sad compared to Vangelis' original score.

Even the third disc made of new material which a lot of people disregard is so good compared to the droning noise of this movie. :|

For me Blade Runner is eminently an audiovisual experience, and when the sequel totally shits the bed of one half of the equation, well that just ain't right. It just lacks anything resembling personality or melody. The only memorable piece is a recreation of Tears in Rain.

The Telegraph claims Vangelis wasn't even asked to work on the project. You fucked up Denis.

That was a masterpiece.

Jesus Christ my head is full of fuck.

I did not expect it to be any good at all but what I got was a masterpiece, a true sequel to something that A: Didn't need a sequel B: I never thought it would get a sequel that was creatively wrought from the same curtain as the original, I expected a bad cash grab based in name and nostalgia.

The shorts have nothing on the actual cinematography of the movie. Good lord do the shorts look cheap compared to the actual movie.

Just got back from watching this. It's a fucking amazing sequel to the original. The soundtrack is incredible. Tired though now so heading to bed but ffs go see this in a theater.

Get'sMad

Pretty good movie and much better than I ever anticipated as someone who was a big time skeptic of this whole thing. Some of the stuff that I thought I wouldn't like about it did rear its head though. Pacing turned out okay despite being such a long movie but I still thought it could have been at least 25 minutes shorter. Soundtrack was blah. Leto was really bad. I'd give it a solid 3.5 or 4/5. Definitely want to see it again.

Astral

I’m gonna need a high quality image of giant Joi pointing at K. I loved that shot so much in the trailer and so much still. It’s wallpaper material.

Maddness

Saw it. Ridley Scott is hands down my favorite director and Blade Runner is one of my favorite films of all time so I went into this movie with a lot of bias against it. I left the theater greatly satisfied. I listen to the original score of BR at least once a day and I thought the new score was a great compliment to it. Visually it hit a lot of notes for me. If anything the heavy hand holding sets it back a tad but I enjoyed the story and the pacing.

Will go see it again soon.

I’m about to go to bed and dream of electric sheep but some quick and dumb observations and remarks since more people will see it tomorrow and I’m sure this thread will be 20+ pages.

- Ryan Gosling continuing to play the tragic characters

- That SWERVE, thank God he wasn’t a chosen one

- Slice of life aspect is downplayed compared to OG even though K/Joe still trying to do a job.

- I like that K mostly doesn’t give a fuck about the replicant rebellion and gives his life to reunite Deckard with his daughter.

- Fuck this movie is beautiful

- Lmao at WB giving away the 3rd act and playing up Harrison who appears probably around the 2 hour mark.

- Joi was not what I was expecting in a good way, especially from an AI character.

- Nuts how Wallace’s henchwoman manages to get into the LAPD and murder people twice lmao.

-Think the movie could have used a couple of more colorful, weird, and ugly faces and places like OG but I guess Earth is in a slightly better spot with food and shit now.

- When Joe finally gives the henchwoman hers, uffffff I haven’t been that satisfied by a onscreen kill since Bernie got stabbed in the neck in Drive.

- Loved they kept the violence fast and brutal. No drawn out fight scenes for the most part, these people are trying to kill eachother.

-Happy the movie left some questions for people to guess at even if it nudged a little harder than OG would have like with Joi’s programming, Deckard being/not being a replicant, replicant reproduction purpose, K’s reason for going off his baseline, etc.

Man, I’m still sucking this all down, we got a Blade Runner sequel y’all 🙏

There a set up/payoff that I can't get out of my head. I think it's my favorite thing in the movie. When Mariette tells Joi that's there not that much inside her, after Joi coldly throws her out, and then we get the payoff with ad Joi calling K Joe, showing that the name was part of the stock programing.

EBE

It was okay. The first is no masterpiece either and I quite like it. But visually it can't compare to Ridley's film. Aurally as well, I would add.

Narratively it felt hollow. Emotionally it was lacking.

A middling effort. Not even Villenueve's best film.

mrkgoo

Ana was in Hands of Stone? That makes sense, now I remember her and Duran bantering

That love scene in this one, super inventive. Also that was Mackenzie Davis, right? From San Junipero to back in the saddle again :p

OR MAYBE it was just ripped off from Ghost, featuring Patrick Swayze, Demi Moore and Whoopi Goldberg!

bleaker

Masterpiece on par with the original. The only part I hated was CGI Rachel. Quit putting cg humans into movies please. It was as off putting as the shit in Rogue One. Really my only nitpick with the movie.

Strange I thought cgi Rachel looked really good in this. It also helps that she didn’t emote a lot. Interesting to see that people didn’t like it.

I loved it but I wouldn’t say it was better than the original. It had more ideas and themes, particularly themes resonant to today’s world, but felt sort of.. hollow. Wallace and Luv were entirely one dimensional and I never truly felt the motivation for K/Joe. Deckard was driven by the belief he was pursuing a murderer and the conditioning of his job, Roy was driven by anger at the injustice of his situation and the desire to live longer. Joe wanted to feel like he had a place, to have a purpose, but a little more emotion would have helped I think.

Strange I thought cgi Rachel looked really good in this. It also helps that she didn’t emote a lot. Interesting to see that people didn’t like it.

Yeah, my dad and I were both really impressed with CGI Rachel. It was a big improvement from Tarkin in Rogue One, I think. It wasn't perfect, but I think that imperfection added to the scene and how this copy was just a fake to Deckard and not the woman he actually fell in love with thirty years past.

mrkgoo

Masterpiece on par with the original. The only part I hated was CGI Rachel. Quit putting cg humans into movies please. It was as off putting as the shit in Rogue One. Really my only nitpick with the movie.

Sean Young is in the credits, so I assume it's actually the actress with CGI for the de-aging?

chefbags

Watched Blade Runner for the first time in the morning and that was going through my head and just now got out of 2049.

Truly beautiful fucking film. I'd say one of the best in years for me.

God Dennis is the best for just making this and doing it oh so right.

I think it was a body double with Young's de-aged head.

I thought the effect was amazing.

Just checked. It was indeed Young back in the role, apparently? Maybe they had a body double with Young's de-aged head over her, but Young apparently also did the new line or two that the copy Rachel had in the film too.

Of all the sets, Wallace’s pond room or whatever it’s called was the most mesmerizing. The light bouncing off the water across the massive, Pyramid-esque walls was so inspired yet felt right at home next to any of the sets in the original.

EBE

Would have been more elegant to simply have an older (ie current age) Sean Young reprise her role. The scene works out the same. She looks the age she would had she lived but Deck doesn't fall for the manipulation.

Surfinn

My absolute favorite part of the film is when his girlfriend gets that girl to come over to "be" her. Super trippy but really really well done scene I thought.

As somebody who's not a huge Blade Runner fan, I thought it was a very well done film with a kind of a flat first half hour or so.

Where’s Robby Boberts by the way.

Did he ask for a ban till this was out and the Star Wars trailer gets released so he could have a break from chiding the kiddies or what.

Spoo

Really, really enjoyed this movie.

It is not in my opinion better than the first thanks to just a few missteps, but man, it comes dangerously close to being that, which by the standards of other films and filmmakers is a hell of an accomplishment.

I was surprised that the movie treats fan theories with acknowledgment and respect without feeling like it had to delve too deeply into any one corner. I also think there is enough ambiguity here to spark a few cool theories to munch on.

Visually, it's kind of a masterpiece. The pacing is actually really great, considering the length of the film; it's a padded work, but the padding itself has brilliant subplots that bring to life the world and the characters, so I'm not going to complain even a little about that.

My major problems would be that the audio misses the mark more often than it nails it, and the climax feels a tad rushed considering just how much time is given to everything else.

I cannot wait to see this guy tackle Dune. He just might pull this shit off.

My absolute favorite part of the film is when his girlfriend gets that girl to come over to "be" her. Super trippy but really really well done scene I thought.

As somebody who's not a huge Blade Runner fan, I thought it was a very well done film with a kind of a flat first half hour or so.

Yeah, that love scene was mindblowing, pun somewhat intended. Not only was it insane to watch visually, but it was wonderful in how sincere and emotionally intimate it felt too.

As for the first half hour, I quite liked it myself. The film was slow, sure, but I liked getting a nice, slow establishing "day in the life" for K and Joi there at the start. Plus that opening sequence with K and Sapper was LIT.

Surfinn

Yeah, that love scene was mindblowing, pun somewhat intended. Not only was it insane to watch visually, but it was wonderful in how sincere and emotionally intimate it felt too.

As for the first half hour, I quite liked it myself. The film was slow, sure, but I liked getting a nice, slow establishing "day in the life" for K and Joi there at the start.

Thank you. I couldn't put into words why I enjoyed this scene so much but this is it.

I wish the movie was more centered around their relationship. I enjoyed it a LOT.

Spoo

Thank you. I couldn't put into words why I enjoyed this scene so much but this is it.

I wish the movie was more centered around their relationship. I enjoyed it a LOT.

The thing I like the most about the entire plot of Joi and K was, honestly, how convinced you become of it, only to feel near the end that -- like when the advertisement comes out, and says Joe, you start to remember it's a product, and you have this moment of consideration where you where wonder what that relationship even is. Does it mean anything? Is it just a product, or actually a true love?

Only a movie like Blade Runner can capture that ambiguity and honest inquiry. I loved that entire thing.

Yeah, Ana de Armas did a wonderful job as Joi. She was probably my favorite character in the whole film, to be honest.

chefbags

Side note: watched in imax and the previews showed the new pacific rim trailer. Anyone else see it?

Also a heads up, my friend and I thought they showed a bit too much in the trailer we saw.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
The amount of artistry displayed by Deakins and the set designers, this movie belongs up there with the original. Jesus christ, that's what a movie should be: a showcase of artistry.

Surfinn

The thing I like the most about the entire plot of Joi and K was, honestly, how convinced you become of it, only to feel near the end that -- like when the advertisement comes out, and says Joe, you start to remember it's a product, and you have this moment of consideration where you where wonder what that relationship even is. Does it mean anything? Is it just a product, or actually a true love?

Only a movie like Blade Runner can capture that ambiguity and honest inquiry. I loved that entire thing.

"I hope you enjoyed the product"

That was my favorite line in the whole film. Fucking brilliant

To answer your question: nah, I don't think it matters if it's "real" or not, at that point.

Yeah, Ana de Armas did a wonderful job as Joi. She was probably my favorite character in the whole film, to be honest.

She did. She sold their relationship. Not to mention that she's drop dead gorgeous

I liked the metaphor for her physical self being blurry/difficult to distinguish. Really hits on that "is this real, does it matter" philosophical questioning

Loved the movie overall.

The one weak link was definitely the villains. Jared Leto and his henchwoman were completely one-note mustache-twirling assholes.

In OG Blade Runner, everyone was more grey, and the movie was better for it.

Surfinn

Loved the movie overall.

The one weak link was definitely the villains. Jared Leto and his henchwoman were completely one-note mustache-twirling assholes.

In OG Blade Runner, everyone was more grey, and the movie was better for it.

This is a good point. After seeing the films back to back in the double feature, yeah the baddies in the original were much better and booming with personality

Top Bottom