• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blade Runner 2049 |OT| Do Androids Dream of Electric Boogaloo? [Unmarked Spoilers]

Slixshot

Banned
Can we talk about how immersed you get in this world? I found myself just being absorbed into this futuristic hellscape and loving every minute of it

Yo that Deckard/Wallace scene was super tense because Luv was right there and could've iced Deck at any time

Denis knows how to crank up the tension when he wants, like with that and the bits after Deckard shows up

It's funny how IMO TFA took a dive once Ford showed up there, but for Blade Runner shit got poppin'

jett

D-Member
There was definitely some unnecessary spoon feeding in the film. But WB want this to do Nolan numbers.

Have they seen the actual finished product? :p You could have BR-tier narration and it would not help.

when the rebel replicant came in with the photo near the end. I was like "come on!". please, don't literally do exposition that you've already done!

I know right. The movie isn't that hard to follow even.

Damn, the trailers really didn't tell us anything about this film's plot.

I thought it told us too much.

And in the studio's zeal to show Harrison Ford, they pretty much showed the entire third act in the trailers.
Man I thought the movie opened so strong too. But it just keeps plodding and plodding. I thought things would pick up and get moving after K gets arrested and fails that decompression test or whatever (which I thought were great scenes btw) but no it insists on taking its sweet ass time as nothing terribly interesting or revelatory is happening.

And except for Tears in Rain reprise at the end the score was fucking random noise that was obnoxious in Atmos. I know I sound like I hated this movie but I didn't. It was beautifully shot, acted and the story was interesting but the pacing left a lot to be desired. Don't think it's a movie I would revisit much.

Thought Gosling was very good in this. Way better than Ford in the original.

The first 15-20 minutes are excellent. First time we see K in his cell reciting that weirdness I was really hooked. It starts meandering after that. I agree with you 100% on the soundtrack.

I thought Gosling was perfect for the movie, after all he's used to playing emotionless robots j/k.

Apathy

Just got out. Hard to put into words right now. Visually stunning. Definitely not as good as the original but.... It is it's own thing. Gotta process it all.

Also really going to be the go to film for those that love waifus

Damn, the trailers really didn't tell us anything about this film's plot.

Based on trailers some people I saw it with were expecting Deckard to show up early and team up with K. Basically Han in Star Wars 7. Nope. Deckard doesn’t show up for the length of most other movies.

Slixshot

Banned
Question! Did they reuse the music from the original from the "tears in rain" scene? I could have sworn I heard it again at some point in the film

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished watching it. Gonna watch it again right now.

Trago

I need to give this film several more viewings before I can say if I liked it better than the original.

Question! Did they reuse the music from the original from the "tears in rain" scene? I could have sworn I heard it again at some point in the film

It sounded like they used it during K's death.

JB1981

So the McKenzie Davis character was part of the Resistance all along? How did they track K?

I think I can say pretty definitively that I did not like this as much as the original. It's just not nearly as evocative in mood, atmosphere, texture, sound, score overall aesthetic. It didn't even feel like a noir story

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Did anyone feel like the time just split by? I knew going in that the movie was 2 hours and 43 minutes long but when K goes to rescue Deckard, it FELT like the ending of the film, but I would've sworn there was still 43 minutes left.

JB1981

Did anyone feel like the time just split by? I knew going in that the movie was 2 hours and 43 minutes long but when K goes to rescue Deckard, it FELT like the ending of the film, but I would've sworn there was still 43 minutes left.

No I didn't think it flew by at all. The movie was long and it felt it. Scenes drawn out and stretched to their maximum

jett

D-Member
That was at the apartment. I mean when they come up to him on the street and proposition him the first time

I think they just met by coincidence?

No I didn't think it flew by at all. The movie was long and it felt it. Scenes drawn out and stretched to their maximum

It felt super long. If the movie flew by for some of you, luck you. :p Someone at my screening actually got up and left two hours in, I guess he couldn't take it anymore. It was easy to notice since there were only like four of us there.

Sean C

Not just the teensiest bit creepy? There are abundant clues that she's just a recreational AI following her programming. His last encounter with her is as an advertising come-on, aping the very phrases to which he had earlier attached such personal significance.
I had the opposite interpretation of that scene. K encounters the baseline Joi, who is so different from the Joi that he had; the "Joe" phrase had meaning when the latter said it. His decision to die for a cause is a deliberate echo of what his Joi did by asking to be transferred into the emanator despite knowing that she could "die" permanently in so doing.

airjoca

So K "dies" in the snow. Inside, the memory designer is imagining snow.

True twins have shared pain and feelings sometimes.

Was he really just a copy? Or was the C-section necessary because they were twins?

jett

D-Member
So Hans Zimmer watched the first two minutes of Blade Runner and thought "Yeah, that's what Blade Runner supposed to sound like" and then repeated that shit ad nauseum, right?

I had the opposite interpretation of that scene. K encounters the baseline Joi, who is so different from the Joi that he had; the "Joe" phrase had meaning when the latter said it. His decision to die for a cause is a deliberate echo of what his Joi did by asking to be transferred into the emanator despite knowing that she could "die" permanently in so doing.

Joi in this universe is def a real AI, and K's Joi had developed her own feelings and drives, no doubt.

One eyed lady tells her to go talk to the green jacket guy. I wanna say she says something like, "see what he knows" or something along those lines.

Ah you're right, she knew he had killed Dave Bautista. How, I can't say I guess!

I also don't understand what was the deal with K's supervisor, in general. I'm not sure her character made much sense.

JB1981

Can someone explain to me why Dave Bautista's character had Rachel's Bones preserved in a box buried under the tree at that protein farm

Also am I imagining this or did this movie suggest that Deckard and Rachel's encounter in the first movie was all part of a master plan to get them to fall in love and ultimately reproduce because Rachel was special?

So if Deckard has a child he’s def not a replicant right?

Amazing film overall, blown away by almost everything. Yeah it didn’t leave as many unanswered questions that makes the original so fun to watch, but if recreated the world amazingly well, and I think it has a strong main narrative than the original too.

Might have to see this again in theaters.

Trago

The visuals blew me away, which was my biggest concern going in.

I'll honestly say that this film nearly matches the original in visuals, now how influential this film is compared to the original remains to be seen, but I'm glad that this was a visual treat!

Jeffrey

Anyone else watch it in a premium format? those extra speakers damn... my ass was rumbling the whole movie.

And yes I get the themes of the movie is about birth, but dang the lady booty and nips count might just be the highest I've seen in a R-film since national lampoon films was a thing lol. The camera even lingered on those giant cg booby statues lol.

Not sure if its my theater, but the audio mix didn't feel amazing for dialogue. Doesn't help that many scenes are echoey and some folks have accents that I couldn't figure out, like the bald dude helping K find records.

Besides that, enjoyed it quite a bit. The 'classic' pacing is pretty refreshing. The cityscapes were wild. Shots lingered, and I didn't mind! Rarely a case these days lol.

Einchy

Can someone explain to me why Dave Bautista's character had Rachel's Bones preserved in a box buried under the tree at that protein farm

Also am I imagining this or did this movie suggest that Deckard and Rachel's encounter in the first movie was all part of a master plan to get them to fall in love and ultimately reproduce because Rachel was special?

They weren't preserved, he just buried them in a makeshift casket.

And yes, but he just says that to fuck with him, because Leto doesn't know if Deckard is or isn't a Replicant and he knows Deckard purposely never tried to find out either. He brings that up as a way to make him think he is a Replicant.

Kazen

Neo Member
The love scene might be one of the best scenes I've ever had the pleasure to watch.

This was absolutely incredible on IMAX.

Amazing movie. Loved even more then the first one.

jett

D-Member

If I had to guess I'd wager it has something to do with the religious savior allegory going on in the movie. The equivalent of preserving the Virgin Mary's bones. Because logically, obviously, they should have been destroyed.

About the other part, that's just guesswork from Wallace.
Just came out. Need to think about it first. One question. What the hell were Wallace/Luv trying to do?

Wallace wants the secret to getting Replicants to breed, because in his mind he thinks that's a quicker way to getting more slaves. That's it.

caesar

Banned
So Hans Zimmer watched the first two minutes of Blade Runner and thought "Yeah, that's what Blade Runner supposed to sound like" and then repeated that shit ad nauseum, right?

Joi in this universe is def a real AI, and K's Joi had developed her own feelings and drives, no doubt.

Ah you're right, she knew he had killed Dave Bautista. How, I can't say I guess!

I also don't understand what was the deal with K's supervisor, in general. I'm not sure her character made much sense.

I think there was plenty of doubt regarding Joi, 'everything you want to see/hear' was the slogan right? Definitely open to interpretation though.

Astral

I like this interpretation. I’m gonna go with it. I didn’t pay too close attention to the dialogue in the giant Joi scene except for the “good joe” part so maybe there was more to it.

JB1981

So K "dies" in the snow. Inside, the memory designer is imagining snow.

True twins have shared pain and feelings sometimes.

Was he really just a copy? Or was the C-section necessary because they were twins?

Interesting question. This is what I don't get. Rachel had twins or no? The copy in this case was just scrambled records? How did K manage to get her memories?

Interesting question. This is what I don't get. Rachel had twins or no? The copy in this case was just scrambled records? How did K manage to get her memories?

She makes memories for replicants. He just happened to get one that was based on a real event in her life. Or that’s how I took it.

Jeffrey

so was Leto just using the floating drones to 'see'? Is he really the only 'augmented' human in this series?

Also the writers were trolling hard. Leto dropped some mentions that the love with rachel was planned, but also that his love for her could be artificial. Purposely keeping the shit vague :p

It was good. I teared up at that final shot of Deckard. Lots to unpack.

I'll have to see it again. IMAX framing was nice but the sound level muddled some of the dialogue.

Einchy

It was good. I teared up at that final shot of Deckard. Lots to unpack.

I'll have to see it again. IMAX framing was nice but the sound level muddled some of the dialogue.

I didn't see it on Imax but I thought some of the audio was hard to hear, too. Couple of times I didn't pick up on what was said.

Astral

I don’t think Deckard is a replicant. Wouldn’t he too have to be a special replicant that can procreate in order for that to be the case? That would be dumb.

Just came back and I think I need to watch it again. I liked it but didn’t love it like the original and whoever mentioned the loud soundtrack in Dolby shaking seat wasn’t kidding, lol. Definitely a beautiful movie.

His superior was the only character I didn’t care for, seems like she might of had a bigger role or something.

Right but she made her own memories for some? I guess that's possible but feels too neat

She falsified memories for most, and was considered great at that. The memory Gosling had was an illegal act on her part because it was based on a real memory. It was a nice narrative wrinkle in my mind.

Jeffrey

did they ever explain in this universe why they needed slave ai fleshy dudes for offworld labor vs just robots?

caesar

Banned
I don’t think Deckard is a replicant. Wouldn’t he too have to be a special replicant that can procreate in order for that to be the case? That would be dumb.

It never actually said how artificial replicants are and if Deckard is a replicant hes clearly some kind of special model? There was also some dialogue near the beginning about having a soul but I forgot it now. Need to go see this again

Top Bottom