• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blade Runner 2049 |OT| Do Androids Dream of Electric Boogaloo? [Unmarked Spoilers]

JCHandsom

Really enjoyed the movie but could someone explain to me what is that whole "Baseline" thing exactly?

It's to make sure K and other Replicant cops remain loyal. If he's unable to focus on the words he's supposed to say ("interconnected", "cells", etc.) because of the emotional and rapid-fire nature of the questions being asked, then that means he's "off baseline" and is in danger of developing his own will and becoming rebellious.

Really enjoyed the movie but could someone explain to me what is that whole "Baseline" thing exactly?

It's basically how humans can tell if the replicant is displaying any sort of independent or different behavior from what the base line responses should be. I'm sure someone can explain it better but it's a safe guard against replicants rebelling like the earlier models.

EVOL 100%

It's interesing how the VK and Baseline tests are both designed for finding signs of empathy in replicants, but are used for completely opposite purposes.

The Baseline test scenes were absolutely brutal, and are probably my favorite scenes in the movie.

K's scanner when he approached actually said that radiation levels were normal. Maybe the radiation threat was a ruse to keep people away.

The radiation there was minimal, so much so that bees could live outside.
So the masks were just 'Wallace goon' masks? That's fine I guess.

Rachel being perfectly made for Deckard still implies replicant to me though. And two replicants having a kid would be a way bigger deal than one human one replicant.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops

Rachel being perfectly made for Deckard still implies replicant to me though. And two replicants having a kid would be a way bigger deal than one human one replicant.

I assume they wore masks since they were going to Las Vegas but they had no way of knowing that that specific place didn't have radiation.

And to the Rachael point, we're not actually sure if that's what happened because Wallace only says that to freak Deckard out because Wallace doesn't know if Deckard is or isn't human.

I believe that whole spiel about him being made, or the encounter being set up, was entirely hypothetical.

I assume they wore masks since they were going to Las Vegas but they had no way of knowing that that specific place didn't have radiation.

And to the Rachael point, we're not actually sure if that's what happened because Wallace only says that to freak Deckard out because Wallace doesn't know if Deckard is or isn't human.

I believe that whole spiel about him being made, or the encounter being set up, was entirely hypothetical.
Hmm. I prefer Deckard to be human tbh. So I'm happy to adopt this line of thinking.

But my first thought walking out was "guess Deckard is a replicant after all" happy to be wrong though!

HariKari

Wallace doesn't really know anything about Deckard. If records did exist, they've been lost. Maybe he's a Nexus 7, maybe he's just human. The language used is purposefully ambiguous.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Second time. Packed house. Immediate thoughts:

Pacing:
- The first two-thirds of the movie is tight. Things went by way quicker than the running time. I was constantly thinking that scenes I was watching kept coming up earlier than expected.
- The last third is a bit flabby. Things slowed down post-Las Vegas and especially during the Wallace and Deckard scene. I didn't like how they basically revealed Rachel twice. The flashback needed to be cut.
- But goddamnit, does the movie ever stick the landing. For something so ambitious and intentional ambiguous to have an emotionally satisfying conclusion, both for K and for Deckard - major props.
- Strongest sequence of the movie by far is finding of the horse > memory lab > threesome. I had tears.

Performances:
- De Armas is my MVP of the movie. Her Joi changes definitively after getting the emanator. The rain scene was amazing. The DNA scene was amazing. The threesome was amazing. I cannot believe she couldn't speak English just a few years ago. Dynamite performance.
- Gosling was rock solid, as I remembered. He is not given a lot of dialogue towards the end, which is great for the character, and he just sells everything with his face. The ending is all him, his smile and his mannerism as K becomes fully human.
- Harrison Ford was way better than I recalled. I think the first time I just hated his crappy t-shirt, but he was actually great in his scenes with everyone. He sold the temptation and anguish when he saw Rachel again, no question.

Details:

- Stelline: "Real memories are illegal, officer." Emphasis mine.
- Mariette: She definitely says, "This was from a tree."
- Joi: Her ringtone sounds everytime K is around a woman, except for Joshi, whom she admitted to eavesdropping on.
- K: In the horse memory he had hair. But only girls had hair at the orphanage. Nice touch.
- Is Freysa missing her eye? What is the significance of that?
- Calmest dog ever. Just hanging out amidst all the chaos. Hope Deckard comes back to grab that cutie.
- In Las Vegas, the hologram of Frank Sinatra under a sealed glass dome sings this:
It's quarter to three, there's no one in the place except you and me
So, set 'em up, Joe, I got a little story I think you should know
We're drinkin', my friend, to the end of a brief episode
Make it one for my baby and one more for the road
My mind. It can't handle.

Top sci-fi movie of the 21st century? Yes. (Sorry, Moon, the Fountain, Children of Men, and Wall-E)
Top 5 of all-time? The conversation is happening in my head right now.

HariKari

- Is Freysa missing her eye? What is the significance of that?

Given up as evidence. Possibly bribed someone to claim she'd been retired. It's shown that Blade Runners take the right eye and scan it into the computer. It also has a serial number hidden underneath. That's what K tries to scan with his tool and what they find in the 2022 short. Her way of hiding.

One thing I noticed is the use of teardrops in the movie: a few of the non-human characters are shown with a tear rolling down their cheek at one point. Luv does it, Stelline does it, I think even K and Joi do it. In comparison, I never saw a human crying.

Deckard at one point has tears in his eyes, but they never actually show the tear rolling down his cheek.

I could've missed stuff, obviously, but I thought it was a nice detail while watching. :lol

Finally saw it in Atmos theater. Incredible experience. One of the best science fiction films of all time. Visually stunning, thoughtful, feels like it has the same nebulous element of Blade Runner where every viewing brings new thoughts. Easily one of the most beautiful films ever made, as well.
Can't believe they pulled this off. It's a great sequel and a great film.

HariKari

They spent the whole movie showing the replicants strength. That along with his inability to break free from the restraints and his lack of strength in the original, I think its leaning more towards no than yes.

Did he really want to escape though? Drowning is preferable to being tortured off world. "You should have let me die out there." He also takes a good bit of damage in the original, along with all the other evidence.

I think it's well balanced and ambiguous.

Did he really want to escape though? Drowning is preferable to being tortured off world. "You should have let me die out there." He also takes a good bit of damage in the original, along with all the other evidence.

I think it's well balanced and ambiguous.

He wouldnt have kept gasping for air.

JB1981

Ugh I'm so aggravated with AMC right now. All week on their website they had BR Final Cut playing at the Garden State 16 in Paramus on Tuesday and Wednesday and today the Wednesday showings are pulled. Guess it's a good thing I didn't buy a ticket and checked today or I would have traveled up there for a no-show

thenexus6

Sweet Jesus

qBIevea.jpg

BladeRunner_Coffret_Pack3D.jpg

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?p=14168663

Ugh I'm so aggravated with AMC right now. All week on their website they had BR Final Cut playing at the Garden State 16 in Paramus on Tuesday and Wednesday and today the Wednesday showings are pulled. Guess it's a good thing I didn't buy a ticket and checked today or I would have traveled up there for a no-show

God damn it. Had I known they had the final cut playing I would have definitely gone and watched it. Never got to see Blade Runner on the big screen. D:

Slightly off topic but JEEEZ, my social media the past few days has been choc full of people who found the film incredibly boring.

All of them people in question however, I know are not really into film and would come out of a Transformers movie giving it a 9/10 so i'm not surprised. It's just annoying how many people are so surface level with things like films and just crave action in a movie all the time.

/mini rant over.

Film was so good I watched it twice.

Zakalwe

Banned

I disagree. Human/Replicant is far more weighty due to the fact it bridges the gap between the two beings and challenges Human perception of Replicants.

Slightly off topic but JEEEZ, my social media the past few days has been choc full of people who found the film incredibly boring.

All of them people in question however, I know are not really into film and would come out of a Transformers movie giving it a 9/10 so i'm not surprised. It's just annoying how many people are so surface level with things like films and just crave action in a movie all the time.

/mini rant over.

Yeah, I think that's the mainstream audience in a nutshell. Which, frankly, is why I'm so happy that we even got this kind of a movie to begin with.

Theodoricos

I disagree. Human/Replicant is far more weighty due to the fact it bridges the gap between the two beings and challenges Human perception of Replicants.

That, in a nutshell, is why I've always preferred the idea of Deckard being human.

Deckard choosing to run away with a Replicant (and falling in love with one) at the end of the film has far more weight if he's human. Similarly, Roy's soliloquy has an even more powerful impact considering it affects a human who does not share his suffering or understand (at least until at the very end) what it is like to be a slave. If Deckard is a Replicant, he runs away simply because of who he is, not because of his newfound empathy and knowledge gained over the course of the movie.

In addition, the rest of the movie is supposed to contrast him with the Replicants, who show more real human emotions than he does despite the fact that he's human.

/mini rant over.

Until I saw some negative comments on NeoGAF in response to this film, I didn't even realise that there existed people who could be legitimately bored by a film like this.

I spotted this one on Google+. It's not exactly the most articulate review ever, but he does manage to get across to me his bafflement and disappointment in a way that so many similar complaints have not done in text.

https://youtu.be/fzm0OeX6ZNA

Obviously this film does have action, and it does have a story, but it doesn't have enough explosions and fighting for some audiences, and the story isn't easy to follow.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
Until I saw some negative comments on NeoGAF in response to this film, I didn't even realise that there existed people who could be legitimately bored by a film like this.

I spotted this one on Google+. It's not exactly the most articulate review ever, but he does manage to get across to me his bafflement and disappointment in a way that so many similar complaints have not done in text.

https://youtu.be/fzm0OeX6ZNA

Obviously this film does have action, and it does have a story, but it doesn't have enough explosions and fighting for some audiences, and the story isn't easy to follow.

Yeah, his disappointments comes from the false representation of the trailers (especially the last ones) which made it look like an action flick.

CodonAUG

I subscribe to the idea that Deckard is a replicant based on Gaff (Edward James Olmos' character). Gaff has a penchant for making paper animals and Deckard makes wooden animals, suggesting a shared memory that leads them both to creating things.

But I agree its not obvious one way or the other.

I subscribe to the idea that Deckard is a replicant based on Gaff (Edward James Olmos' character). Gaff has a penchant for making paper animals and Deckard makes wooden animals, suggesting a shared memory that leads them both to creating things.

But I agree its not obvious one way or the other.

Gaff's not a replicant, though.

Geido

I saw the movie monday, what a masterpiece. And what a shame it's bombing, although I'm happy it's been made at all.

The only issue I really had is if Deckard has 30.000 whiskies, doesn't he have anything better than Johnnie Walker? Or maybe he kept the worst for last?

So yeah, not much to complain about.

I think the relatively poor sound quality was intentional. Remember, these are recordings from before the blackout that had to be restored. Much like the video orbs, they're far from perfect.

Yeah, I kind of settled on that in my head. I just wish they had mixed it a little differently so it wouldn't sound like they literally ripped it from the movie.

So about Gaff. Was he really needed in the 2049? Kinda' felt like the scene didn't add anything except "Hey, it's Gaff!" Although it does bring up a question.

Also did the scene destroy the Deckard is a replicant theory? In Blade Runner Deckard finds the origami of a unicorn left by Gaff, a connection to the 'memory' of a unicorn held by Deckard. This suggests that Deckard is a replicant because Gaff, even though a semi-retired Blade Runner, would have access to those files.
But in 2049 he doesn't say anything like this, and certainly not 'oh by the way, he's a replicant..I saw the files'. So either he's protecting Deckard or he's not a replicant. Or maybe Gaff doesn't give a shit one way or the other. I'd have to watch the scene again.

So about Gaff. Was he really needed in the 2049? Kinda' felt like the scene didn't add anything except "Hey, it's Gaff!" Although it does bring up a question.

Also did the scene destroy the Deckard is a replicant theory? In Blade Runner Deckard finds the origami of a unicorn left by Gaff, a connection to the 'memory' of a unicorn held by Deckard. This suggests that Deckard is a replicant because Gaff, even though a semi-retired Blade Runner, would have access to those files.
But in 2049 he doesn't say anything like this, and certainly not 'oh by the way, he's a replicant..I saw the files'. So either he's protecting Deckard or he's not a replicant. Or maybe Gaff doesn't give a shit one way or the other. I'd have to watch the scene again.

All that unicorn baloney was added retroactively, with the sole proponent being Ridley himself. I'm fairly certain even the people who wrote the script are like "Yeah, Deckard ain't a replicant.".

All that unicorn baloney was added retroactively, with the sole proponent being Ridley himself. I'm fairly certain even the people who wrote the script are like "Yeah, Deckard ain't a replicant.".

Except the final cut is canon.

They clearly wanted to let it remain open to discussion, but come on, all signs still point to him being a replicant.

Well, like you said, it's left ambiguous. I'm just saying that that unicorn stuff should be ignored, I think. Because if you take that as canon, well then, he in fact is a replicant. I think that, seeing as it is left up to interpretation, that the unicorn dream and origami connection aren't canon.

I don't see how it's conclusive in any way.

Top Bottom