• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blade Runner 2049 |OT| Do Androids Dream of Electric Boogaloo? [Unmarked Spoilers]

Did she tell him that she was adopted? I really don't recall. The rest was apparent.

Good question.

I think I inferred that from the orphanage scene where Joe found the horse carving. Perhaps at this point we might seek and hopefully find online a faithful voice transcript of the film.

Razorback

Oh man playing back the original with the new knowledge that Rachel was Nexus 8 and designed specific to fall in love and reproduce does this suggest that she never truly loved Deckard and was just folllowing her programming?

Well, that's the whole point of these movies I think.

Are programmed feelings less real? What's a non programmed feeling? Haven't we been programmed just as much by natural evolution?

Now, that's one way of interpreting your question. Another way is to say that she's not conscious. Just going through the motions but not actually experiencing any internal awareness at all.

I interpret the movies as showing us that the replicants indeed are conscious and to contrast that notion they put the character of Joi in to show us what a non-conscious A.I. would look like.

Did anyone else here really not like this?

I didn't hate it, but I just thought it was ok. I thought the first movie was much more subtle about everything and "distilled", whereas 2049 wallows around in concepts much more and spends too long on things. I thought Jared Leto and his sidekick were both awful, the rest of the cast were great. I didn't really love the storyline, there were parts that were very clever and compelling but Leto's motivations and plans were poorly conceptualized.

I'm glad I watched it as a huge fan of the original movie (hence the nick) but I think the movie could have been a lot better and I think the first movie is much better. Ryan G and Robin Wright killed it in this one, whereas in the first one I thought Ford, Sean Young, Rutger Haur, Olmos, Daryl Hannah, Tyrell, JF, and Kawalski were all best in class.

El Topo

Good question.

I think I inferred that from the orphanage scene where Joe found the horse carving. Perhaps at this point we might seek and hopefully find online a faithful voice transcript of the film.

No, I mean, I completely agree with your post. I don't really see another reasonable way K would have gotten that memory, which is the biggest issue here. I'm really just wondering about how she ended up in the glass dome (and/or whether she knows who she supposedly is), which led to me wondering if there was maybe more. It seems most reasonable though to assume that the blackout allowed them to set up the adoption and/or the facility and background, given that most digital documents were destroyed. It was just a random thought I had, really.

Zen Aku

You're watching films wrong. You really should see Blade Runner and then maybe give 2049 another chance. It's a film that massively rewards knowing this world and these characters, so much is lost and probably outright confusing not having seen Blade Runner. And of course, you can't wiki a film...
I mean I understand the general plot of it and the characters. Deckard is basically a hunter who started to question his own job and in the end decided to side with the 'people' he been hunting the entire time.

This movie just picked up that story and expand on it some more. It just feel so drab most of the time. The constain rain and grim everywhere. I understand it's a noir film so that is to be expected. But I just didn't walk away feeling like "whoa, this movie is a masterpiece" feeling. At the end of the 3 hours run time, I was pretty much ready to get out of the theatre.

Honestly, I kinda wish I went to see Kingsman instead. Maybe I just needed something fun today. As well made as this movie was, it just didn't give me that wow factor that I thought it would based on the hype.

Robot Pants

Fucking god damn masterpiece.
Well 95% masterpiece. I didn’t like Jared Letos performance at all, and as always I think Old Harrison Ford is lazy and ruins the stuff he’s in lately. He wasn’t so bad in this and the final scene was great.

I thought the movie was literally perfect up until K goes to Vegas and meets Deckard. Then it kinda dips a bit.
But good lord everything else was just SO GOOD.

It makes me so happy to see a good movie like this again after being disappointed with so so much lately. Especially sci-fi movies. And even at almost 3 hours I wasn’t once bored (although I’m a fan of longer movies in general and think a lot of recent ones could benefit from that).

10/10 for me

Rydeen

I didn't hate it, but I just thought it was ok. I thought the first movie was much more subtle about everything and "distilled", whereas 2049 wallows around in concepts much more and spends too long on things. I thought Jared Leto and his sidekick were both awful, the rest of the cast were great. I didn't really love the storyline, there were parts that were very clever and compelling but Leto's motivations and plans were poorly conceptualized.

I'm glad I watched it as a huge fan of the original movie (hence the nick) but I think the movie could have been a lot better and I think the first movie is much better. Ryan G and Robin Wright killed it in this one, whereas in the first one I thought Ford, Sean Young, Rutger Haur, Olmos, Daryl Hannah, Tyrell, JF, and Kawalski were all best in class.

Yeah this is where I'm kind of falling as well. The original film is nearly a tone poem, the plot is simple and is really there to bring the sensory experience of the visuals and music to the forefront, and also allow a simple detective story to unspool interesting questions about our humanity. This movie is so plot intensive it sometimes felt like it got in the way of the experience of the film.

It's interesting that Hampton Fancher wrote this one as well, because the opening scene for this is nearly beat-for-beat a sequence he had in one of his earliest drafts for the original film. Also a lot of the story ideas in 2049 reminded me of ideas in the much earlier screenplays he wrote for the first movie as well before everything was pared down for the final shooting screenplay.

I mean I understand the general plot of it and the characters. Deckard is basically a hunter who started to question his own job and in the end decided to side with the 'people' he been hunting the entire time.
That’s like saying 2001 is about astronauts encountering an alien structure and some metaphysical stuff happens in the end

Wikipedia isn’t even the Cliff Notes of a film because at least Cliff Notes offers some of the thematic context and whatnot

I was behind Christopher Nolan in concession line and he was a few seats away in the film itself. I got to experience the mastery of Villeneuve and Nolan in one film.

Now to the film itself, I really liked it. I thought it's a great sequel. Pacing, visuals, mood all really evoke and reflect the first one. I'll have to watch it a few more times, but for the most part I loved it.

Edit: Also Deakins better win his Oscar. What a gorgeous film. Especially in IMAX Laser.

Enjoyed it. Very fitting follow up. Positives were the interesting iteration of technology, the general cinematography, the pretty tight story, the actors were all solid. Only major negative was the sound design, which I felt was a bit jarring. Minor negative was I felt it was a little indulgent at times, but that didn't really lessen the experience. Overall, very pleased.

Burbeting

Banned
How did Ryan Gosling know in the ending that Stelline is the child? It felt like it came out as a leap of logic, was it even established that she is a replicant? Or did Gosling just mean "Go and see memories of your child"?

The Cowboy

How did Ryan Gosling know in the ending that Stelline is the child? It felt like it came out as a leap of logic, was it even established that she is a replicant? Or did Gosling just mean "Go and see memories of your child"?
It felt like basic reasoning to me, he knew that it was a girl, her general age and that stelline knew the memory was real (along with her reaction to it) - and she supplied the memories to replicants.

She was the logical choice.

He had the memories. She "makes" the memories. She cried and told him it was real. Not a big leap of logic for him to realize who she is.

kevin1025

Banned

She corroborated the memory as real, so I think that once he found out it wasn’t him anymore, he realized her reaction and confirmation meant the memory was hers.

RS4-

Travelled 90 mins for glorious IMAX, was worth it.

Needs more de Armas.

And man, I was joking with some friends that Bautista has more screen time in the short story that the movie itself. And I guess it was sort of the case. And when gosling was announced, I mentioned that he'd be Deckard's son. Almost!

If you can see it in imax, do it

El Topo

She was the logical choice.

The big question is how else K would have gotten the memory. It is possible that she is the one that (officially) supplied his memories, he might have looked that up and that is why he visits her in the first place.
That eliminates virtually everyone else (within reason).

Zen Aku

That’s like saying 2001 is about astronauts encountering an alien structure and some metaphysical stuff happens in the end

Wikipedia isn’t even the Cliff Notes of a film because at least Cliff Notes offers some of the thematic context and whatnot
Well I searched up some other articles about the original movie too. To get a full context of it.

I honestly doubt watching the original will make like this new one more. If I do, it would only for the enjoyment of the first one and to cross it off my list.

Well Stelline is someone who create memories for replicants and I assume the majority of the newer models memories was created by her. She told K that her memories are so authentic because she tend of inject a bit of herself into them.

K remember that at the end and he piece it together. That the memory of a child hiding that wooden horse is real, even though it isn't his memory. It was hers.

caesar

Banned
I was behind Christopher Nolan in concession line and he was a few seats away in the film itself. I got to experience the mastery of Villeneuve and Nolan in one film.

Now to the film itself, I really liked it. I thought it's a great sequel. Pacing, visuals, mood all really evoke and reflect the first one. I'll have to watch it a few more times, but for the most part I loved it.

Edit: Also Deakins better win his Oscar. What a gorgeous film. Especially in IMAX Laser.

Did you ask him if he liked it?

Just saw it and I really did not enjoy it. Blade Runner is possibly my favourite movie and this just didn't match up to it for me. It was too clean at points and too grand in others. The original is just so focused in its scope and is a very small story. I appreciate that this tried to expand, but it felt like it was executed in a way that didn't fit. Especially the whole revolution talk at the end, I thought it'd be way more in line with the rest of the movie if they procreated and then quietly assimilated with humans.

I don't know if I'll ever watch it again, but I've been kind of soured on it just now. I'll try again in future, and keep in mind that it took a little while for me to love the first one like I do now.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status

Nolan as a mere mortal, watching da gawd do his masterwork.

What theater was this? /notcreeping

The Chinese Theatre in Hollywood. The main IMAX screen. He was with his wife, I was tempted to say something to him but didn't want to bug him. Was tough to get a read on him, but he seemed pretty absorbed by the movie, for the first 2/3rds at least before I stopped creeping.

What did Nolan think of the dunkirk trailer playing during the previews
With Gary in it too:p

Rydeen

The Chinese Theatre in Hollywood. The main IMAX screen. He was with his wife, I was tempted to say something to him but didn't want to bug him. Was tough to get a read on him, but he seemed pretty absorbed by the movie, for the first 2/3rds at least before I stopped creeping.

I'm sure part of Nolan was a little jealous Villeneuve had the opportunity to do this, I know Blade Runner is Nolan's favorite film as he screened it a few years ago in a "My Favorite Films" selection at a DGA screening. Makes me wonder what kind of conversations Nolan's had with Villeneuve and Scott in private, because you know he has.

Korigama

Saw it earlier today. I don't really agree with the assessments I've seen that it's better than the original, but not necessarily worse either. Just...different. Longer than it needed to be at nearly three hours, when the original was just under two. Great art direction, though the music wasn't as memorable as Vangelis' work. I'd also say the dialogue didn't stick with me the same way as the original, either.

I'm sure part of Nolan was a little jealous Villeneuve had the opportunity to do this, I know Blade Runner is Nolan's favorite film as he screened it a few years ago in a "My Favorite Films" selection at a DGA screening. Makes me wonder what kind of conversations Nolan's had with Villeneuve and Scott in private, because you know he has.

I think Mr. Nolan mentioned he wouldn't want to build off of something he had such reverence for, like a Blade Runner or Bond.

Visceir

I found the music to be a bit much at times, like it was desperately trying to use overbearing music to set the tone but it ended up working against it.

Also found the action scenes to be sort of out of place, they weren't bad, just felt more like Villeneuve was out of his comfort zones with those.

Towards the end it started to also give me heavy Matrix2 vibes with that underground resistance.

jett

D-Member

Don't tell me you didn't ask Nolan what he thought.

You should have chased him down and asked him what he thought of the movie.

Rydeen

I think Mr. Nolan mentioned he wouldn't want to build off of something he had such reverence for, like a Blade Runner or Bond.

I'm sure, I don't mean like Nolan thinks to himself "I should've directed this! It's more important to me than him!" I just mean he probably has that little voice inside of him thinking of the what-ifs of doing a project like this.

Man I can't stop laughing at the image of 15 gaffers all sitting in the seats around Nolan just staring at him for his reactions while he is watching Blade Runner.

The pee issue was real though, my Dolby cinema was fairly empty (~20 people in a ~100 person theater) and just about everyone got up at least once to pee which was slightly distracting. I paced my soda so I drank most of it in the last hour, didn't have to get up once.

kevin1025

Banned
Man I can't stop laughing at the image of 15 gaffers all sitting in the seats around Nolan just staring at him for his reactions while he is watching Blade Runner.

The pee issue was real though, my Dolby cinema was fairly empty (~20 people in a ~100 person theater) and just about everyone got up at least once to pee which was slightly distracting. I paced my soda so I drank most of it in the last hour, didn't have to get up once.

You eat the popcorn before the movie starts so you're super dry, that way your drink won't affect you till you're already home! Long movies in the theatre 101!

I thought the movie was pretty good. Denis did a great job for a follow up to a movie with an enormous reputation. He and the writers told an original story, put their touch on the franchise while being respectful of the first movie. I don't think it would be too jarring watching both movies back to back.

The visuals and set design were beautiful. The scene with the assistant blowing people up while casually sitting in a chair getting her nails done was funny. The tech shown in the film was interesting. The memory creator's controller. The assistant drone in the police car. Ana de Armas is gorgeous.

I didn't get Jared Leto's character. He seemed like a cartoonish supervillain, but I couldn't pay attention because I was kind of drowsy. Tyrell was much better imo. He felt more real.

My cinemasin-like whiny complaint people do nowadays, why didn't he go to a convenience store, buy some memory sticks, and make backups of his waifu?

I wasn't blown away, wasn't expecting to be, but I'm happy with what they've done. I'll give my final opinion in 15 years after I see the director's cut and the final cut.

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think he's wasted. He's there for exposition, to provide a focus for plot tension, and whatnot.

Maybe it was the fact that Jared Leto was the acotr--he seemed to scream give me more screen time... though I guess that depends on how much you like Jared Leto, too.

I’ll never understand why someone would get up and leave 2 hours into a movie. At that point why not just see it through? Weirdos.

Also heard behind me about ten minutes in (from some old fart) “at least it doesn’t have that god awful music”. I am pretty sure he was referring to the OG Vangelis score...

Movie theaters are all trash.

Wag

Holy shit!!! That was fucking awesome!!! A friend and I were totally dumbstruck at the end of the movie, we didn't say a word for almost 5mins.

Best sci-fi movie I've seen in years. Amazing.

Top Bottom