• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blade Runner 2049 |OT| Do Androids Dream of Electric Boogaloo? [Unmarked Spoilers]

Dash_

The problem with Nihander's character for me is that he's more interesting in the short film than he is in 2049.

Moff

I think I didn't get it. I was surpised by the sudden ending. I saw it coming a mile away that K was not the kid, so many obvious hints. Didn't feel anything for Deckard and the daughter.

As a huge Villeneuve and Blade Runner fan, I left the theater very disappointed.

Other surprises were that I loves Leto and the score.

This movie did a good job selling how strong Replicants are compared to humans. K's back snap, that brutal neck break, and Morgan smashing K through the wall were intense.

Oh, and seriously, realizing that replicants are biological rather than robotic, really changes how I see the first movie. I had thought it was odd why Batty could feel pain.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
This movie did a good job selling how strong Replicants are compared to humans. K's back snap, that brutal neck break, and Morgan smashing K through the wall were intense.

Oh, and seriously, realizing that replicants are biological rather than robotic, really changes how I see the first movie. I had thought it was odd why Batty could feel pain.

Wait, you thought they were robotic in the first movie? I guess I went into the first movie knowing that they were biological so they never seemed robotic to me. Feels like a lot of the humanity angle would be way more different if I had thought they were robotic. Interesting.

Glad to hear I wasn’t the only one thinking replicants were robots all this time (kinda like the Androids in Alien)!

Dash_

I always thought it was implied that their skeletal/muscle system were better than our's? With the editing of the memories, it seems to me to imply that while they are biological, their brains work differently than human's.

Glad to hear I wasn’t the only one thinking replicants were robots all this time (kinda like the Androids in Alien)!

The big misconception is that they are "artificial", and repeatedly stated to be, but not "mechanical". They are made of grown organs and such. In the first movie you even meet the guy who makes their eyes, stuff like that. Kinda further reinforcing the idea that they aren't really all that different from humans, outside of birth.

K getting smashed through the wall took me by surprise. I stayed relatively in the dark about plot and character details. It was the moment I learned he was a replicant.

Wait, you thought they were robotic in the first movie? I guess I went into the first movie knowing that they were biological so they never seemed robotic to me. Feels like a lot of the humanity angle would be way more different if I had thought they were robotic. Interesting.
I've been thinking that Blade Runner's story of "what is human" was about androids and their sentience until I read 2049's opening crawl today. Especially considering the title of the original story and how everyone calls them tools and Deckard even compares Replicants to a toaster in the first film

El Topo

If they were mechanical there would have been no need for the Voight-Kampff test. That's just how I approached it when I saw the movie.

Rydeen

I always thought it was implied that their skeletal/muscle system were better than our's? With the editing of the memories, it seems to me to imply that while they are biological, their brains work differently than human's.

The only reason their brains work different is because they're being "born" into a body that is already an adult, but with the life experiences of a toddler because of the four year lifespan, hence why Roy is as intelligent as an adult of his physicality, but has the emotional maturity of a four year old, that's the whole reason Tyrell was experimenting with giving Rachael implanted memories so the Replicants would have the emotional maturity of human beings of their equal physicality thanks to the implanted memories which give them a history to build their personality and a mature identity.

The Voight Kampf test works because a Replicant with a four year lifespan and the emotional maturity of a four year old will get hung up on the hypothetical questions the VK test presents like Leon did, not understanding that there is no tortoise, you're just meant to answer the question. A four year old will start asking questions about it as though there's a real tortoise at stake, just like Leon does. An adult will have the emotional maturity to understand there is no tortoise at stake.

jett

D-Member

Dat feel when you realize how incredibly pointless the Voight-Kampf test would be if they were mechanical machines. Why not use an x-ray machine? :p

The only point of the VK test is to know if the subject is human or replicant.
A Turing test to see if the android had gained emotions, thus showing if they were human or Replicant. Hey, film has been doing "androids with distinct kinds of eyes" for decades, so the VK test looking at the eye and testing responses made sense

Why would a biological organism dream of electric sheep? That title primes you to think of the story in a certain way right from the start.

I thought it was a kind of Turing Test

It is, kind of, or at least inspired by it. At least in the regard that the point of the conversation is to distinguish if you are talking to a human or non-human via tells in their reactions. But it's more a measure of their emotional reactions than their ability to realistically hold a conversation.

Besides, as said before if Replicants were mechanical all you'd need would be a X-ray scanner, or maybe even just a metal detector.

JB1981

Why did Niander kill that newly born Replicant as he's explaining how he can only make limited numbers of them 🤔

Rydeen

Why did Niander kill that newly born Replicant as he's explaining how he can only make limited numbers of them 🤔
He was trying to make a Replicant with functioning reproductive organs, when he was unable to with that particular Replicant, it was no use to him, a failed experiment.

Fucking god damn masterpiece.
Well 95% masterpiece. I didn’t like Jared Letos performance at all, and as always I think Old Harrison Ford is lazy and ruins the stuff he’s in lately. He wasn’t so bad in this and the final scene was great.

I thought the movie was literally perfect up until K goes to Vegas and meets Deckard. Then it kinda dips a bit.
But good lord everything else was just SO GOOD.

It makes me so happy to see a good movie like this again after being disappointed with so so much lately. Especially sci-fi movies. And even at almost 3 hours I wasn’t once bored (although I’m a fan of longer movies in general and think a lot of recent ones could benefit from that).

10/10 for me
Saw this last night. This sums up my thoughts. It should be impossible for Blade Runner 2049 to be as good as it is. It's my film of the year and I adored a ton of movies that came out this year.

El Topo

A Turing test to see if the android had gained emotions, thus showing if they were human or Replicant.

Either way, if the replicants had been machines, I just assumed there would be easier ways to determine whether someone is a human or a replicant.

N7.Angel

Just came back from my second viewing and it was even better than the first one, this movie is incredible, it has flaws but whatever, nothing is perfect.

lightus

So towards the end Deckard asked K if he was alright and he nodded yes. Did he lie? Or is the point that he wasn't lying as he's finally at peace?

Rydeen

So towards the end Deckard asked K if he was right and he nodded yes. Did he lie? Or is the point that he wasn't lying as he's finally at peace?
Sure, he's dying, but at that point there was nothing Deckard could do, and K had fulfilled his purpose of reuniting Deckard with his daughter.

Tacitus_

He can't make enough to conquer the stars. He can make a couple of throwaways without impacting his production too much.

Bulby

Hnnnnggggggggg... just got home.

Was so so soooo fucking good. The sound was absolutely blasting, I didnt want it to end. I was completely in that world for 2 hours.

The way they build upon the theme of memories really worked here IMO

Your memories being real or fake, not knowing which, what that means for your sense of self. Think about how much of mindfuck that would be. Always being told those are implanted memories, only to learn they aren't

And of course, in the end, they actually were. K went through one hell of an existential rollercoaster ride this movie

jett

D-Member
A Turing test to see if the android had gained emotions, thus showing if they were human or Replicant. Hey, film has been doing "androids with distinct kinds of eyes" for decades, so the VK test looking at the eye and testing responses made sense

Why would a biological organism dream of electric sheep? That title primes you to think of the story in a certain way right from the start.

Your problem is that the movie has very little to do with the book.

I mean, don't get it wrong, I know how you feel. Only until last year it also never crossed my mind that they weren't mechanical. Or rather, the difference never mattered to me. Hadn't even thought about the idea that Replicants are really biological. I felt kinda dumb. But it makes all the sense in the world.

JSevere

well damn, this was quite a movie. Gosling killed this shit. poor K, dude just wanted to be a real boy. :( him and Joi might be one of the most film romances I've seen in awhile. visuals were gorgeous too. don't think it quite tops the original for me, but it's super, super good

I'm not too big on the original Blade Runner but I loved 2049.

Cinematography and score were fantastic, especially in IMAX.

It's nearly 3 hours long and felt like 2, really enjoyed it. Will have to watch it again.

Relceroi

Neo Member
Personally, I don’t see there being any meaningful difference either way. Whether replicants are biological or mechanical, with how they are depicted I can’t think of them as anything other than people with personhoods. I suppose replicants being biological makes it possible to also consider them biologically human as well, but for some reason people in the Blade Runner world seem to ascribe some special meaning to being “naturally” born human. The only relevant question regarding replicants should be if they are people, not if they are human. Because if they are people, it doesn’t matter what’s inside them.

Right now I feel like BR2049 works very well as a sequel. I’m looking forward to watching the original and see if it feels any different knowing everything that happens in this one.

Magwik

Banned
giphy.gif

Imma need a few days to process

jett

D-Member
well damn, this was quite a movie. Gosling killed this shit. poor K, dude just wanted to be a real boy. :( him and Joi might be one of the most film romances I've seen in awhile. visuals were gorgeous too. don't think it quite tops the original for me, but it's super, super good

"Blue Fairy, make me a real boy!"
bluefairy.jpg

K's Blue Fairy was quite a bit uglier, sadly.

landscape-1500294840-blade-runner-2049-harrison-ford-deckard.jpg

The way they build upon the theme of memories really worked here IMO

Your memories being real or fake, not knowing which, what that means for your sense of self. Think about how much of mindfuck that would be. Always being told those are implanted memories, only to learn they aren't

And of course, in the end, they actually were. K went through one hell of an existential rollercoaster ride this movie

Yeah, K took one hell of a beating in the film, both physically and psychologically. He was such a great, yet tragic protagonist.

I watched it today and really liked it. I couldn't believe nearly 3 hours had passed when it was over. Now I really want to watch the original (I've only seen it once and that was 20 years ago. I didn't really like it, but I was younger and dumber back then, so I'd like to give it another shot). I think I might see this again in the theater. The visual and aural aspects were intoxicating.

DavidDesu

The problem with Nihander's character for me is that he's more interesting in the short film than he is in 2049.

Ahh yes, he actually is. I guess he's the only person I didn't quite get. He's also forgotten about by the end. Surely he's overseeing what Luv was up to, surely he should still be a menacing presence at the end and be tracking their movements and working out who the child is... But they just act as if it's a happy ending, he meets his daughter and the menace is over.

I also had a funny thought that how come those running the Replicant companies are always strange philosophical loner types. Makes me laugh imagining Wallace was more like a Don Mattrick or Steve Ballmer type figure.... Now that's a totally different Blade Runner. HAHAHA

My biggest complaint about this movie is how everyone is wearing cool costumes (same as the original) and Harrison Ford is just wearing what looks like his "I just rolled out of bed" clothes.

It's like he didn't want to change when he showed up on set day 1 and no one would argue with him.

edit: (aside from that I really loved it)

Spoo

Which is why I got choked up when the music kicked in and he finally bit the bullet.

I was floored.

I really liked the part where Deckard asked "Who am I to you?" and you just kind of have this wave of reliving the adventure, K's hopes, his grab at a soul, his various moments of meaning and relationships that all nearly -- just nearly -- escaped the artifice of his existence. Everything from his relationship with Joi, to thinking he might have had a place in the world that went beyond being a pawn for everyone else.

Once again, it fills that space so well where we come away feeling like it doesn't matter, but it all matters. Deckard is nothing to K, ultimately, but from a certain point of view he is the father he never had, deserved, wanted, and he fought for that hope like he was entitled to it. At least that was my take away. K can die happy because he made himself a part of a narrative that he never thought he could have.

K and Joi worked like a new inverted version of the OG Blade Runner happening within 2049

Where the question is how real/human the feeling of an AI are versus simple programming, rather than the feelings of a Replicant.

It was like an entire other sci-fi movie within the larger one.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I think I didn't get it. I was surpised by the sudden ending. I saw it coming a mile away that K was not the kid, so many obvious hints. Didn't feel anything for Deckard and the daughter.

As a huge Villeneuve and Blade Runner fan, I left the theater very disappointed.

Other surprises were that I loves Leto and the score.
in the first film, Roy spares deckard's life after his god failed to grant him more life. he "gives" deckard what he couldn't have: more life.
in 2049, K discovers that he is not the child, he is not special, he has no soul. Joi shows us what the android dreams of, and it's of human intimacy. having come to terms with that, he, like Roy before him, gives Deckard what K cannot have when he unites him with his daughter. (disobeying the instructions of the replicant revolutionaries, and remember that the chief characteristic of Wallace's replicants is obedience)

there is a lot to think about with this film and i hope this gets you started.

Rixxan

I really liked the part where Deckard asked "Who am I to you?" and you just kind of have this wave of reliving the adventure, K's hopes, his grab at a soul, his various moments of meaning and relationships that all nearly -- just nearly -- escaped the artifice of his existence. Everything from his relationship with Joi, to thinking he might have had a place in the world that went beyond being a pawn for everyone else.

Once again, it fills that space so well where we come away feeling like it doesn't matter, but it all matters. Deckard is nothing to K, ultimately, but from a certain point of view he is the father he never had, deserved, wanted, and he fought for that hope like he was entitled to it. At least that was my take away. K can die happy because he made himself a part of a narrative that he never thought he could have.

Well said

Trago

K and Joi worked like a new inverted version of the OG Blade Runner happening within 2049

Where the question is how real/human the feeling of an AI are versus simple programming, rather than the feelings of a Replicant.

It was like an entire other sci-fi movie within the larger one.

And I'm sooooooo glad the movie took time for us to have the scenes that we did with them.

I need some time to think about the story and let it sink, but the film itself is easily 9/10 for me. It certainly flipped the OG Blade Runner on its head. It's a mirror image in many ways. As far as the sound and visuals, I need no time to think about that. The Atmos mix was stunning and this is probably the most beautiful narrative film shot on digital ever. Very glad I saw the 2.39:1 scope version and not IMAX, the composition was absolutely stunning.

Top Bottom