• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blade Runner 2049 |OT| Do Androids Dream of Electric Boogaloo? [Unmarked Spoilers]

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Just saw it, I loved it! Didn't think I would like this much for some reason.

Art direction was incredible, soundtrack was perfect and the acting was spot on.

My thoughts on Deckard...

He's a replicant, my reasons.

K has a fake memory of a horse. Deckard has memories of a unicorn.

Deckard took a beating in both movies and still is able to walk around. In fact has a human survived an encounter with a replicant in either movie?

Why would the lapd send one human after these combat grade replicants in the first place? These guys are made to survive the harsh environments on the colonies, and they send one human after them ??

Bunch of other reasons but I just got home lol

KayMote

Seeing a near 3 hour long movie at midnight is a recipe for disaster.

Nah, I had some of my best movie experiences at around midnight.

But wasn't the point of the archive scene that only the physical stuff survived and all the digital stuff was lost forever.

Sure, but not the point of all those Harrison Ford scenes with his old books and music that's been brought back to life.
In a way the Elvis scene is the perfect metaphor for the film itself: too much rummaging in its own past, but only being a bleak copy without actually nailing the notes and the tone of the real thing.

Pretty much the only thing that I took from the movie was that I need to digitalize all my childhood photos in the near future.
Sorry about your disappointment, but the movie is saying the opposite, that you should print the photos out and have something physical in case all the world's computers/the cloud/the Internet mysteriously "black out" some day.

Jarmel

Banned
I wish the film ended with Joe on the steps outside in the show. I don't think we needed to see Deckard go inside - plus we see him and his daughter look at each other but thats it. I feel less is more in this situation.
Yep I totally agree on this. This was K’s film and should have ended there. My feeling though is that either Villenueve or the producers thought it was too bleak to end there and wanted something more hopeful to end on after a film full of misery.

Moonkid

Halfway through the Dangerous Days docu now. Man, the part where they describe the canned opening which became this film's intro was something. They even had the idea for the tree with ropes attached! And this probably came up when the news that Villeneueve was in talks for Dune first broke out but Ridley Scott was working on a Dune adaptation before he changed his mind to do Blade Runner.

robotrock

Banned
I had no idea HZ was on bandcamp. That's kind of amazing.

Right! I just found this out too and it's awesome. All of this Hans Zimmer in .flac.

$170 for 68 of his soundtracks is an insane deal.

edit: It's even more insane actually, he has a discount code right now that lets you get that set for $110. Jesus

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
If Deckard is a Replicant, then why is he still alive in 2049? Roy Batty discovered that Tyrell wasn't able to make Replicants beyond the four-year life-span, so it would to reason that Deckard would also have fallen into that same situation as the others. I like the ambiguitity, but it doesn't go beyond that for me.

I thought Tyrrell was able to make them last as long as he wanted but was required to make them have short life spans. What he says in the original movie is that he can't change their lifespans after the replicants are created.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I just got out of it, and I was floored. Absolutely lived up to the hype. The thing that gets me is that I totally bought into the human (er, replicant) drama. That's the difference for me between Hollywood pap and good art: Whether we're just going through the motions of a scene that should be emotional "because formula", or whether we're actually exploring something something about the human condition. I nearly teared up several times.

It was also a far better "reboot/sequel" than the likes of something like TFA. It wasn't a carbon copy remake of the original with the old actors saying hello and a silly new generation to pass the torch onto. It was a genuinely evolved vision that took the dystopia of the original much further. Perhaps what the original made you feel in 1982, this one does for 2017, by making the world that much more bleak and shocking. I was expecting them to just be like "remember neon kanji signs? Remember when a detective hunted down a team of renegade robots?" But no, they actually took the core of the concept and did something new.

Probably a better movie than the original. Strong words, but the original was a grand vision with an okay plot, while this movie had a grand vision and a genuinely intriguing plot.

Seesaw15

Just saw it, I loved it! Didn't think I would like this much for some reason.

Art direction was incredible, soundtrack was perfect and the acting was spot on.

My thoughts on Deckard...

He's a replicant, my reasons.

K has a fake memory of a horse. Deckard has memories of a unicorn.

Deckard took a beating in both movies and still is able to walk around. In fact has a human survived an encounter with a replicant in either movie?

Why would the lapd send one human after these combat grade replicants in the first place? These guys are made to survive the harsh environments on the colonies, and they send one human after them ??

Bunch of other reasons but I just got home lol

To be fair that one man had a gun.

Plus since Gaff was a Blade Runner that lived to retirement age I assume he survived some tussles with replicants.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Seeing a near 3 hour long movie at midnight is a recipe for disaster.

My showing was at 11PM.

One friend slept for half the movie (sleeping during movies is his thing, we only nudge him awake when he starts snoring too loud), the other friend's eyes were glued to the screen the whole time.

It was a Dolby Atmos showing too so I don't know how people can fall asleep through such loud noises.

A lot of people got up to go to the washroom in between too. I knew about the runtime so went to the washroom before the movie.

BocoDragon

Oh man, I'm furious. I should have spent the money elsewhere. Had a great evening at first: we watched the first movie together with a glass of wine - we all loved it. Some of us even saw it for the very first time and were super impressed, After that we went to the theatre together... and the snoozefest began. We all collectively hated it. Probably my biggest disappointment this year so far.

It's 4 am now and I'm very tired, but I'll write some lines tomorrow to be more specific. Just as an entry point: there's no magic whatsoever, the plot feels terribly mediocre, so many scenes that are straight up dragged out, self indulgent, overly long and just utterly pointless... I really don't get the praise whatsoever and I don't see any point in talking about specific storylines, because the movie didn't offer anything interesting to discuss.

Pretty much the only thing that I took from the movie was that I need to digitalize all my childhood photos in the near future.
My friend wanted us to marathon both movies in one night. I said hell no, because I knew that would be a recipie for fatigue.

I watched the original yesterday and the new one tonight. The new one was stunning and you sound overtired to me. But maybe we just have different tastes.

GhaleonEB

Yep I totally agree on this. This was K’s film and should have ended there. My feeling though is that either Villenueve or the producers thought it was too bleak to end there and wanted something more hopeful to end on after a film full of misery.

My daughter mentioned right after we saw it, she'd have liked to see a close up of K's eye closing at the end, a callback to the eye opening at the beginning. Show Deckard go in to meet his daughter, then come back to K in the snow. Eye closes. Fin.

Maybe a bit on the nose, but I liked it.

Seesaw15

This was the worst movie I ever seen in theaters and this coming from a person that seen transformers 2.

These takes are too hot today.
g1zKqRD.gif

Film was fantastic. Absolutely stellar and a more than worthy follow up to the original. It subverted my expectations and expanded heavily upon the themes of the original. The ending was heart breaking.

Excellently shot as well. Not even a doubt that this should win for cinematography.

My only disappointment was the soundtrack. It wasn't bad by any stretch and some of it was great. It just didn't evoke what I relate to Blade Runner. Maybe that's the point though. This movie stands on its own.

I hope they leave the series here though. It was wrapped up pretty nicely imo. I was so apprehensive about this film as the original is my second favourite movie of all time but I'm so glad I was wrong. This is a 10/10 for me.

I think it needed it. K’s story is pretty damn soul crushing. Let him squeak out a win before he dies alone!

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
This was the worst movie I ever seen in theaters and this coming from a person that seen transformers 2.

Dont just driveby with a worst movie ever post, it adds nothing to the conversation.

Try to explain why you disliked it.

Jarmel

Banned
My daughter mentioned right after we saw it, she'd have liked to see a close up of K's eye closing at the end, a callback to the eye opening at the beginning. Show Deckard go in to meet his daughter, then come back to K in the snow. Eye closes. Fin.

That might have been a decent way to end it. I was thinking follow Deckard in and show his daughter and then cut back to K in the snow.

Bronetta

I really don't know how this movie got a 160m budget.

Because Denis motherfucking Villeneuve is the best director around right now.

They better give him $200 million for Dune.

-Mikey-

Just got out of the theater and it was my first time at a Dolby Cinema showing. It was the loudest movie I've ever been too. Beats out Dunkirk in 70mm.

Iceman

Or he should have felt motivated enough to get closure on the story to accompany Deckard inside to witness the reunion, then excused himself and allowed himself to die outside in the snow.

If Deckard is a Replicant, then why is he still alive in 2049? Roy Batty discovered that Tyrell wasn't able to make Replicants beyond the four-year life-span, so it would to reason that Deckard would also have fallen into that same situation as the others. I like the ambiguitity, but it doesn't go beyond that for me.

Tyrell was able to make Replicants live longer than that but the 4 year life span was a "fail safe device." Roy wanted to reverse the this but once it is set up it was no longer possible to fix.

BocoDragon

When the Sony logo came up, me and my friend were like "it's not too late to leave" haha.

Sony stuff is usually the worst. But not this, thankfully.

robotrock

Banned
571371_v2.gif

Christ, these trolls...

Jesus christ, how is my post a troll post? I fucking loved this movie dude, but it's a strange one and I have no idea how it was funded for that much money.

How is that in any way related?

Because of it's big budget, the movie's marketing campaign tried to sell this movie to appeal to the widest audience by trying to show it off like an action movie, when it's clearly not that.

Jesus christ, how is my post a troll post? I fucking loved this movie dude, but it's a strange one and I have no idea how it was funded for that much money.

Uh, because its starring Harrison Ford and Ryan Gosling, and is a sequel to a film that's garnered a massive cult following over the last 30 years.

One of the most beloved scifi moves that made like 35 million at the box office on a 28m budget.

Don't be obtuse. It's become hugely popular and influential since its release and sold enough on DVD to get a fuckload of re-releases on Blu-Ray and now UHD.

robotrock

Banned
Folks, did you watch the movie? What about it makes you think it appeals to such a wide audience that a 160m budget makes sense to make a profit? It's long and drawn out with minimum action.

It's a sequel to one of the most beloved scifi movies. What's difficult to understand?

One of the most beloved scifi moves that made like 35 million at the box office on a 28m budget.

BocoDragon

Because of it's big budget, the movie's marketing campaign tried to sell this movie to appeal to the widest audience by trying to show it off like an action movie, when it's clearly not that.
I saw people stylishly shooting guns and brawling in the water. Just because it has a brain doesn't mean it's not an action movie.

Also it's funny to reflect that Ghost in the Shell (2017) basically is Blade Runner without brains and look how well that did ;)

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I think one of the worst part of the movie was the junkyard part. Him searching for the wooden horse, great, but they could have cut everything before that.

Cop flies over a junkyard, and random crazy people try to take him down like they can just shoot down a police car and get away with it. They get blasted to bits by Wallace Corp. Then he casually walks into building nearby and a bunch of kids are working there (what for, who are they, where from, who is cutting their hair and feeding them and buying all the toilet paper?). All so some guy can say I don't have the paper, someone took them.

I think it would have been much better just having him going to an abandoned factory in a dangerous part of the city or whatever, maybe fight some hoodlums if they really wanted some action, and then search for the furnace.

There's a lot of things that could have been shortened in this movie, this one definitely stuck out.

edit: Also is it me or there was almost no other cars flying around in LA?

TheWraith

It was also a far better "reboot/sequel" than the likes of something like TFA. It wasn't a carbon copy remake of the original with the old actors saying hello and a silly new generation to pass the torch onto.

You and me must have seen a different TFA.

I loved the movie, and I also compared it to TFA as a sequel that really manages to re-capture the tone of original movie and expand upon it organically 30 years+ later. Amazing we could get to experience this.

robotrock

Banned
I saw people stylishly shooting guns and brawling in the water. Just because it has a brain doesn't mean it's not an action movie.

Also it's funny to reflect that Ghost in the Shell (2017) basically is Blade Runner without brains and look how well that did ;)

There's definitely action in it, but not that much of it.

Moonkid

Eh, this is no more an action movie than the first one.
Well sure, but maybe elaborate yourself first next time if you're going to ambiguously quote a post that's clearly bait.

You and me must have seen a different TFA.

I loved the movie, and I also compared it to TFA as a sequel that really manages to re-capture the tone of original movie and expand upon it organically 30 years+ later. Amazing we could get to experience this.

Well we DEFINITELY saw a different TFA

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I don't understand how this movie got the budget it got either. Blade Runner is a beloved movie with film buffs but it's not that widely known with general audiences. Bless the crazy fucks that thought Blade Runner was gonna make more than $150 million in BO 'cus they let us have this money.

Folks, did you watch the movie? What about it makes you think it appeals to such a wide audience that a 160m budget makes sense to make a profit? It's long and drawn out with minimum action.

I think this was known. I think this movie is a long-term investment for the studio. They’ve been able to make quite the mint off of the original in the video department. I think this movie will have those kinds of legs.

The film was amazing. Huge fan of the original and I had serious doubts about this.

Top Bottom