• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blade Runner 2049 |OT| Do Androids Dream of Electric Boogaloo? [Unmarked Spoilers]

Zakalwe

Banned
I thought it was always clear that the 4-year lifespan was specific to Nexus 6 models? The N6 have shorter life spans, and fake memory cushions.

I don't think the standard Nexus 6 models had memories, just Rachel at that point.

The N6's were too childlike in their emotional responses, highly intelligent but only 2-3 years or so at the time of the film. If they'd had memories they wouldn't have struggled so hard.

The photos Leon tried to recover were of the Replicants together, right? Nothing to do with his own false memories?

I also got Deckard was lying when he said Rachel had green eyes. It worked as a rejection and a mocking statement, so classic Harrison Ford stuff.

Definitely going to rewatch the first Blade Runner before i rewatch this movie again with friends. I'm not sure theyll love it, but they'll definitely appreciate it. Excited to see their reaction to the "sex" scene.

Really hoping I pick up a quote from the movie that sticks with me as much as the 'like tears in rain' quote from the first.

"All the best memories are hers" is the quote I remember the most, made better by how K said it and looked. So bittersweet.

NoPiece

I thought it was always clear that the 4-year lifespan was specific to Nexus 6 models? The N6 have shorter life spans than usual, and fake memory cushions.

From the 1982 movie:

Bryant: Nexus 6. Roy Batty. Incept date 2016. Combat model. Optimum
self-sufficiency. Probably the leader. This is Zhora. She's trained
for an off-world kick-murder squad. Talk about beauty and the beast,
she's both. The fourth skin job is Pris. A basic pleasure model. The
standard item for military clubs in the outer colonies. They were
designed to copy human beings in every way except their emotions. The
designers reckoned that after a few years they might develop their own
emotion responses. You know, hate, love, fear, envy. So they built in
a fail-safe device.

Deckard: Which is what?

Bryant: Four year life span.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Right right, the memories is a new thing, Leon and co don't have that.

The 4 years life span is their fail safe.

Tyrell says they develop weird obsessions, like Leon and his photos for example. Fake memories are to prevent that according to him.

Deckard has been out for a while, so presumably he had dealt with N5 or less.

hydruxo

Was there ever an explanation of how Luv got into the LAPD twice and managed to kill someone each time without getting spotted? Did she have fake credentials? Did Wallace buy somebody out to get her in? Was she just sneaky? Just seemed kind of odd she kept randomly getting in.

Was there ever an explanation of how Luv got into the LAPD twice and managed to kill someone each time without getting spotted? Did she have fake credentials? Did Wallace buy somebody out to get her in? Was she just sneaky? Just seemed kind of odd she kept randomly getting in.
Corruption? I'd assume. Sure sounds like Wallace basically runs society

She said she'd lie to Mr. Wallace that the officer fired first. Don't think she was worried about anything else

Same as I don't think she wasn't not allowed in the office, they just didn't want her taking evidence

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Just realized that Deckard is probably the one who snapped/cut the horn off the wooden unicorn. That shit still freaks him out lol

Either he or Rachel cut the wooden figures. The horse must have been given to the kid by one of the rebels (either before she got to the orphanage or after she was already there) as a parting present.

NoPiece

Corruption? I'd assume. Sure sounds like Wallace basically runs society

She said she'd lie to Mr. Wallace that the officer fired first. Don't think she was worried about anything else

Same as I don't think she wasn't not allowed in the office, they just didn't want her taking evidence

Especially if you think of the class segregated society being depicted, an apparently wealthy, well dressed citizen would be assumed to have permission or some legitimate reason for being there.

Here's a dumb question. After the trash dump/orphanage scene, how did K get back to the LAPD. His spinner got shot down, but then in like the scene right after he flies a spinner back to LAPD. Was that a different spinner or the same spinner? Was it just like an EMP harpoon or something?

Risto

Banned
Here's a dumb question. After the trash dump/orphanage scene, how did K get back to the LAPD. His spinner got shot down, but then in like the scene right after he flies a spinner back to LAPD. Was that a different spinner or the same spinner? Was it just like an EMP harpoon or something?

It was an emp and it did quickly show the system come back online before he got out.

KiN0

This really bothered me and kind of ruined the mood the movie had been creating up until that point. I just find it incredibly hard to believe that an LAPD officer who commands a replicant would have no security measures in place to handle a killer replicant. Never mind the fact that Luv does this twice. Even worse considering the film makes a point of establishing the fact new replicants were created specifically because the old models were deemed to dangerous.

That whole sequence just came off as a shortcut for Luv to find K's location. I really didn't like anything about it.

Saw this last sunday and I'm still "high" on it. It gave me such a good feeling which still hasn't worn off. Not many movies do that. I think last time I got this fuzzy feeling was from a game. The game was INSIDE.

BR2049 hit all the right notes for me. Especially the cinematography. Shot after shot of pure bliss.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
One thing I noticed on a rewatch: Ryan Gosling's confused face when Luv opens the malfunctioning steel door in Wallace Corp.

That was foreshadowing of her strength but I didn't notice his "WTF" facial expression lol

hydruxo

One thing I noticed on a rewatch: Ryan Gosling's confused face when Luv opens the malfunctioning steel door in Wallace Corp.

That was foreshadowing of her strength but I didn't notice his "WTF" facial expression lol

One thing that cracked me up later on in the movie was when Deckard, his dog and, and K were running to the cruiser to leave and Deckard uses the stairwell door but K just fucking breaks through the wall lmao. It only shows it for a split second but it was great.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
This really bothered me and kind of ruined the mood the movie had been creating up until that point. I just find it incredibly hard to believe that an LAPD officer who commands a replicant would have no security measures in place to handle a killer replicant. Never mind the fact that Luv does this twice. Even worse considering the film makes a point of establishing the fact new replicants were created specifically because the old models were deemed to dangerous.

That whole sequence just came off as a shortcut for Luv to find K's location. I really didn't like anything about it.

In the world of BR corporations are king, it's not a stretch at all to believe that the security chief of Wallace Industries would be allowed a degree of access to the LAPD. It would get her through the front door at the very least.

I was pretty pleased with Ana being the child. Maybe I missed some things, but I don't remember any hints towards it being her. I think it's possible her immune thing was because of her not being human-birthed but it might've been explained. Anyways I really loved the first scene with her, was just a pure scene and Deakins lit it fantastically.

Overall I was entranced the whole movie and loved it and its commentary on humanity. Not only that but it's one of the most beautiful movies ever and breathtaking on the huge IMAX here.

It was an emp and it did quickly show the system come back online before he got out.

It actually seemed to be a weaponized version of Ben Franklin's kit experiment, and was a really nice setup. You had the lightning shown as the car first enters that area, the harpoon tethers what what turns out to unfold into a kite which disappears up into the clouds. And boom, lightning strike takes down the car. Nice low-tech weapon for the scavengers.

I still can't get over how masterfully-done and bone-chilling that intro is the moment the eye opens and you are hit hard with this beautiful mixture of Hans Zimmer's soundtrack and Roger Deakin's cinematography. Such a remarkable film.

Yeah that gave me goosebumps. Wonderful.

The way they used the imagery (contrast between delicate feet/shoes with heavy steel door) to play with your expectations in that scene was good too.

daviyoung

Banned
In the world of BR corporations are king,

This is not explicit in either the original Blade Runner or this one. Never is a corporations power over the state actually shown. It's cyberpunk fanfic and I'm not buying it other than a shitty excuse to ignore what could be readily explainable in the film itself. In fact, it's not like they didn't try and explain something through a hand crushing metaphor when Luv met Robin Wright but it was flat and half arsed and leads to people being confused and others saying "well them's the conventions that I just thought up".

In the world of BR corporations are king, it's not a stretch at all to believe that the security chief of Wallace Industries would be allowed a degree of access to the LAPD. It would get her through the front door at the very least.

I also wouldn't be surprised if Luv didn't just get off on killing everyone in the building.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
This is not explicit in either the original Blade Runner or this one.

Nothing is explicit in Blade Runner, but the power/influence of corporations is an obvious theme in both films. Wallace builds slaves for the LAPD. Why wouldn't his chief enforcer be allowed rudimentary access to the LAPD? She has the status to get past the front door and the killing skills to do whatever else she wants.

This is not explicit in either the original Blade Runner or this one. Never is a corporations power over the state actually shown. It's cyberpunk fanfic and I'm not buying it other than a shitty excuse to ignore what could be readily explainable in the film itself. In fact, it's not like they didn't try and explain something through a hand crushing metaphor when Luv met Robin Wright but it was flat and half arsed and leads to people being confused and others saying "well them's the conventions that I just thought up".

I think the population owes a whole lot to Wallace and his supply of food and other things after the blackout. Look at his little army of (replikant?) henchmen and his technical power. He has to have some influence.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Saw this on Reddit.
tucgsm4s8jrz.jpg

tl;dr: Ryan Gosling wrote the baseline test scene that they used in the movie.

Window

If Wallace has the influence to cover up the death of two police officers at a police station, I have a hard time believing that he would need to scrounge or sneak around to acquire the evidence and information he needs. Why doesn't he just have a dishonest cop pass over everything? Why doesn't he have direct access to police records and tracking systems?

valkyre

Can someone explain to me how did K stopped being obedient if he was designed to be such?

Given the short story accompanying the film, Wallace pretty much confirms that replicants are obedient.

So how did K manage to break these bonds?

Donos

Although I'm not that harsh, i kind of agree. There is always the chance that K goes rogue but she has nothing in preparation except a hidden button to turn of her displays. They should have made something to show that Wallace has master codes for access to the City/LAPD or something like that. Maybe this was cut.

Can someone explain to me how did K stopped being obedient if he was designed to be such?

Given the short story accompanying the film, Wallace pretty much confirms that replicants are obedient.

So how did K manage to break these bonds?

By believing he was special?

Donos

I was pretty pleased with Ana being the child. Maybe I missed some things, but I don't remember any hints towards it being her. I think it's possible her immune thing was because of her not being human-birthed but that was explained. Anyways I really loved the first scene with her, was just a pure scene and Deakins lit it fantastically.

Overall I was entranced the whole movie and loved it and its commentary on humanity. Not only that but it's one of the most beautiful movies ever and breathtaking on the huge IMAX here.

Glad i saw it in IMAX too. Would recommend to everyone. Also suprised it was her. Don't doubt they even made luv a similar haircut as Rebecca to lure people in thinking she was the child.

It's kind of sad that you instantly try to guess the "twist" in movies just because you have seen so many.

daviyoung

Banned
Nothing is explicit in Blade Runner, but the power/influence of corporations is an obvious theme in both films. Wallace builds slaves for the LAPD. Why wouldn't his chief enforcer be allowed rudimentary access to the LAPD? She has the status to get past the front door and the killing skills to do whatever else she wants.

Why would she? She is not a police officer, she is a supplier. The LAPD is also no longer the piece of shit office from the original film, it's made out to be a prosperous (profitable) organisation. The expectation is for some form of CCTV to exist. Does it? Does she not get picked up on it? Does she have carte blanche to come and go as she pleases? Pointless questions that detract from the film.

We also do see how suppliers are treated in 2049's universe through the memory maker. There is absolutely no reason to not have this explained in the film. After all, we have all of K's thoughts explained. At best, what the film chooses to be explicit about and doesn't is inconsistent. At worst it's an oversight.

I can't think of a film that nailed a motif like this film did.
The question of 'what is real' was presented in so many different ways in this movie, it was stunning.

Also, the scene with Joi overlapping on top of Mariette had my jaw to the floor.

valkyre

By believing he was special?

That doesnt sound like a convincing explanation to me. Its not something Wallace would allow to happen, ie my Replicants are obedient until they start thinking they are special... there is no fail safe in that and whoever approved the production of new replicants because of this would be naive to say the least.

HariKari

That doesnt sound like a convincing explanation to me. Its not something Wallace would allow to happen, ie my Replicants are obedient until they start thinking they are special... there is no fail safe in that and whoever approved the production of new replicants because of this would be naive to say the least.

The recurring theme is that they can't be perfectly controlled.

Top Bottom