• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Blair Witch' (The Woods) Comic-Con trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Better show the witch. Loud bumps and noises isn't cutting it anymore. It's 2016 and there's been like 80 paranormal activity movies.

The more like PA the better, and the more they show the less scary it is IMO. That being said the trailer makes it look alright and there's clearly more over the top stuff compared to the first one.

This shit is so subjective though, PA is like BWP in that some people "get it" and others don't, it's not going to work for everyone.

gamz

Yes, but note that it influenced so many other films that you probably won't get the same impression as if you had seen it when it came out in theaters.

And changed how you marketed a film forever.

If people don't get it then they weren't there when it was going down.

Early reviews suggest there's some mind-blowing stuff in this. Will be interested to hear the comic con Buzz.

HP_Wuvcraft was going to the Comic-con screening, so hopefully we'll hear their thoughts tonight.

The more like PA the better, and the more they show the less scary it is IMO. That being said the trailer makes it look alright and there's clearly more over the top stuff compared to the first one.

This shit is so subjective though, PA is like BWP in that some people "get it" and others don't, it's not going to work for everyone.

Yeah, I think this trailer is already showing more shit going down than the first film, so as long as that's the case throughout, I'm cool not ultimately seeing the witch.

I hope it's better than the Blair Witch. I was incredibly disappointed in that movie. I even watched it as the director intended. He was quoted as saying the best way to watch it is on a VHS copy of it, not original. So me and a friend did just that on our first viewing.

it didn't help.

Gattsu25

Banned
I hope it's better than the Blair Witch. I was incredibly disappointed in that movie. I even watched it as the director intended. He was quoted as saying the best way to watch it is on a VHS copy of it, not original. So me and a friend did just that on our first viewing.

it didn't help.
I previously wrote about this but:

I watched a ~2am showing of The Blair Witch Project project by myself and the theater's air conditioner was configured for a full theatre's worth of patrons...so it was cold enough to see my breath whenever I exhaled.

It was the single best horror viewing experience I've had in my life.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Y'all should read the interview too provided in the link. Great read and looking forward to the film.

And changed how you marketed a film forever.

If people don't get it then they weren't there when it was going down.

I was there. The marketing really was aces, and the movie was alright. I'd say it did mostly deliver during it's climax, so I can at least grant it that.

Damn they're going all out sequel. I expected a more subtle tie in what with the previous trailer easter egg hunt. Can't wait. Love Adam Wingard's movies, and early responses have been incredibly positive. I only glanced over the Bloody Disgusting review as it had a spoiler warning, but it seems like the movie goes to some pretty unexpected places.

gamz

I watched a ~2am showing of The Blair Witch Project project by myself and the theater's air conditioner was configured for a full theatre's worth of patrons...so it was cold enough to see my breath whenever I exhaled.

Dude, saw it opening night. Jammed packed and the theater was terrified. Walking home from the theater was a fucking trip.

Dalek

My screening was not quite like that-but seeing that in the theater in an advance screening was the best horror movie theater experience I ever had. The entire theater was just blown away.

I pranked my roommate the next day by putting a coatrack in the corner of his room with a long robe and hat on it, and took the lightbulb out of his overhead light.

gamz

My screening was not quite like that-but seeing that in the theater in an advance screening was the best horror movie theater experience I ever had. The entire theater was just blown away.

Yep. It was such a fresh take on horror.

kai3345

Banned
kind of wish they had kept the name and kept this secret until the movie was out. would have been nuts to unknowingly walk into a blair witch sequel

The only reason this isn't just another found-footage film to me is because of Adam Wingard and Simon Barrett

You're Next and The Guest were very good.

gamz

The only reason this isn't just another found-footage film to me is because of Adam Wingard and Simon Barrett

You're Next and The Guest were very good.

Fuck ya! It's a playground they can fuck with.

As a horror fan and a HUGE fan of TBWP I'm excited they are taking up the helm.

I never saw this coming...

anaron

I wish they had gone with unconventional looking actors like the original though. The fact that the trio weren't Hollywood pretty was a major contributor to making it feel real.

Fury451

Banned
Whoa. Outta nowhere (for me at least).

So what this masterpiece never happened?

Book_of_shadows_blair_witch_two_poster.jpg

The Good Bad Flicks episode on this was really interesting. Sounds like it was supposed to be pretty creative.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hAkmHSzUIHQ

Gattsu25

Banned
Dude, saw it opening night. Jammed packed and the theater was terrified. Walking home from the theater was a fucking trip.
Yeah, in my case I was supposed to watch it with my cousins but they never showed. Good thing too because they had a habit of talking over films whenever they got scared so it would have ruined the experience.

I pranked my roommate the next day by putting a coatrack in the corner of his room with a long robe and hat on it, and took the lightbulb out of his overhead light.

Hahaha, I would have freaked the fuck out if someone did that to me right after I saw the film.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I'm a massive fan of The Blair Witch Project, fascinated by found footage as a cinematic medium, and absolutely nothing about this looks convincing or interesting to me.

Nice clean oh so conveniently neatly framed found footage starring immaculate beautiful and nicely presented young people. Another Cloverfield, aka turd.

Will wait and see but meh. It's probably a generational thing, particularly with the tech (makes sense that this footage would look much nicer than late 90s handycams), but that trailer failed at conveying any sense of rawness and legitimacy to the premise and found footage theme to me. What I love about BWP is the chaotic mess of a film that it is. It's so amateurish and low budget and nasty. It had the benefit of being a product of its time and the successfully manipulative marketing leading up to the release, which I recognise cannot be replicated, but yeah.

For now, pass.

Levito

Banned
Paranormal Activity is clown shoes compared to The Blair Witch Project and the less Blair Witch is like PA the better.

Thankfully the directors look like they know what this movie needs to be.

That claustrophobic scene looks like misery for me.

Right?

Blair Witch Project remains to this day my favorite horror movie of all time.

I won't watch the new trailer. Going in blind.

Cannot wait.

zeemumu

This does beg the question of why they would go into the forest knowing that it can place you in an infinite loop.

Hmm, that corner line. Didn't he kill the person facing the corner eventually? Is the corner safe now? Did the guy from the first movie survive because he got in the corner first, and he's been grave encounters 2'ing it this whole time?

Cuburt

MEH.

The first one was interesting for being unique for it's time.

This doesn't need to be remade. Plus it looks mediocre af.

Never heard of him. Is he not a good source?

He runs Bloody-Disgusting, which produced V/H/S and he's pals with the filmmakers. I'm not saying he's wrong, but parts of his review are super hyperbolic. I'm just simply not buying into it and am waiting for more impressions overall. And it's not like I want him to be wrong, but for me I'm not running with that level of hype yet.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
This does beg the question of why they would go into the forest knowing that it can place you in an infinite loop.

Hmm, that corner line. Didn't he kill the person facing the corner eventually? Is the corner safe now? Did the guy from the first movie survive because he got in the corner first, and he's been grave encounters 2'ing it this whole time?
I hope they don't retcon the ending. The way he stared into the corner seemed to suggest something really fucked up and inexplicable happened to him. It's so much more boring to say that's the way you escape the witch.

Levito

Banned
I hope they don't retcon the ending. The way he stared into the corner seemed to suggest something really fucked up and inexplicable happened to him. It's so much more boring to say that's the way you escape the witch.

He(Mike) looked in the corner because of the Rustin Parr story(Blair Witch lore), Rustin Parr was a serial killer that murdered several children in the woods the Blair Witch haunted, he did it cause she told him to.

In the story, Rustin Parr would bring two children into his basement(where the final shot of the movie is) and murder one child while making the other face in the corner cause he didn't want them watching.

It was all part of the faux documentary that was part of TBWP's marketing. Here's a clip(full thing isn't on Youtube)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom