• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Blair Witch' (The Woods) Comic-Con trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone who's seen You're Next and The Guest is well aware that this is a man that knows how to send a movie off with a bang.

I really liked You're Next, but "a bang" is like the last thing Blair Witch needs. The quiet brooding nature of the original is what made it so good.

fanboi

Banned
People also told me Cloverfield was good and they were wrong.

Still, I'll hit up the movies and see it when/if it comes to STRAYA.

Oh, but you got that wrong, Cloverfield is an excellent movie (if we are talking about the first, 2nd one is good but no way near the original).

Brilliant reveal, wish more movies would do this kind of thing and surprise us more. I wasn't sure about The Woods trailer with the stick figures, thought it might have just been trying to rip off or just give a nod to the Blair Witch Project but this is awesome news.

I'm going to see this opening weekend now and I've heard good things about the movie from a few people who have seen it already, glad they didn't spoil this news.

Fhtagn

Kinda? Not really? It's like two minutes of panic and confusion after an hour and a half of burn.

I def count that as ending with a bang, compared to, say, The Master. A Blair Witch film should build a lot of tension, but eventually pay off with something freaky that sticks in your mind for a long time.

Oh, but you got that wrong, Cloverfield is an excellent movie (if we are talking about the first, 2nd one is good but no way near the original).

Cloverfield is a movie with so much shakey-cam and other quirks that I can't imagine declaratively saying it is "excellent" without saying YMMV as well, cuz it's obviously going to alienate a chunk of folks just on the camera work grounds alone.

Personally I thought it was pretty decent, neither great not shite.

JonnyKong

I dunno about this yet. It reminds me an awful lot of the Nightmare on Elm Street remake in the sense that they've pretty much recreated many of the iconic scenes from the original, and have now made them louder and jumpier.

The reason why I love the first is because of how low budget, subtle and quiet it is. This is blatantly going for the in-your-face scares approach.

I guess we'll see.

Plum

I'm being optimistically cautious about this. The trailer really didn't do anything to flatter me, felt way too much like a rehashed version of the original but with a lot less subtletly. The part where they were recreating the "running from unseen noises in the night" bit with the noises being replaced by loud obnoxious bangs instead does worry me.

Anyone whose seen it want to give an impression as to whether this is the case or not?

JonnyKong

I really wish they didn't end the trailer with that guy doing the whole "I'm sorry" spiel ala what's her name from the first film.

This is supposed to be a sequel, not a remake.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Absolutely hated Cloverfield, but was pleasantly surprised by 10 Cloberfield Lane (until the end).

10 Cloverfield lane is absolutely superb until it devolves into utter diarrhoea at the end.

I like you.

Koozek

Okay, kinda excited for this. Haven't watched a Found Footage flick in a long time and Blair Witch Project was one of my favorite movies when I was 13 or so. I will never forget the chills I got when "that" moment happened. Jumped out of my bed ASAP, ran to the light switch, and looked around my whole room in panic :D

sappyday

Don't like the look of it but I'm also one of those that think The Guest and You're Next were average films. TBW scared the shit out of me when I first watched it.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Imagine a thrilling, intriguing character piece that intelligently utilises its claustrophobic setting to developing brooding, unpredictable relationship dynamics between its limited yet powerfully diverse cast, with a developed symbiosis between the cast and the audience in deciphering the unknown.

Then imagine the director/writer abandoning that to
boot up their video game movie, complete with hitting the level boss's weakpoint for massive damage

You've got yourself a 10 Cloverfield Lane stew.

Watched the trailer on my phone and it was dark as fuck, couldn't see shit. Hopefully it'll look better when I get home and watch it on my TV.

Pachimari

I'm legit surprised by this. Did not see that coming. Wow, I'm so excited to see it!

Why is there a spoiler thread? Has it screened somewhere already?

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
You've got yourself a 10 Cloverfield Lane stew.
JGOR2VN.gif

It's no coincidence that 10 Cloverfield Lane shits the bed in the third where it becomes literally impossible for it to be a sequel to Cloverfield '08.

Cloverfield '08 is awesome, and 10 Cloverfield Lane would have instantly gained one star if it used the monsters from the former rather than fart spaceships.

Zombine

Banned
Surprising, yet that trailer seems to expose something that I don't want in a Blair Witch film which is shots that want you to believe that they're documenting their journey, when it's really the invisible professional camera man. I don't want a half go pro/half Hollywood style movie. Also, the cast seems less like real people and more like actors.

Blair Witch Project took a less is more approach. Blair Witch seems to be taking a more is more approach and the witch seems to have gotten way better at her arts and crafts.

Can she just run her Etsy shop out of an abandoned house in peace? I'd be pissed too.

stilgar

I think it looks awful. And I love The Blair Witch, and am a sucker for found footages.
The obnoxious music, the characters looking at the fucking camera (do you do you that when a friend is filming you?), the PERFECTLY STABLE image but you know, still found footage, cutting with the overly shaky cam... it's like all the bad modern horror movie tropes tied together. Let's hope that trailer is misleading.

I think it looks awful. And I love The Blair Witch, and am a sucker for found footages.
The obnoxious music, the characters looking at the fucking camera (do you do you that when a friend is filming you?), the PERFECTLY STABLE image but you know, still found footage, cutting with the overly shaky cam... it's like all the bad modern horror movie tropes tied together. Let's hope that trailer is misleading.

Reviews are starting to appear online now the secret is out and seem very positive so far. Adam Wingard (Your're Next, V/H/S 1&2, The Guest) is a decent horror director and from the few reviews I've seen, it seems like he's pulled off a decent sequel to TBWP.

Shit. I've been waiting for Blair Witch 3 since forever, and I don't like this trailer. It has all the elements of a bland, uninspired high-budget sequel to a super low-budget passion project. Blair Witch 2 failed, but it did it in a surprisingly unique way. I'm sure it'll be okay, but the original was not just okay. It stuck with you. This has "forgettable" written all over it.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Trailer isnt doing anything for me. Preferred the first The Woods trailer. Word of mouth seems good so still excited to see this.

i see found footage mentioned but the movie doesnt really come across that way from the trailer. Is it conventional, found footage, or a mixture of both?

stilgar

Reviews are starting to appear online now the secret is out and seem very positive so far. Adam Wingard (Your're Next, V/H/S 1&2, The Guest) is a decent horror director and from the few reviews I've seen, it seems like he's pulled off a decent sequel to TBWP.

That's good to hear.
And you're right, that's a very decent track record.
I think V/H/S 2 is pretty good, and could have been absolutely awesome.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Trailer isnt doing anything for me. Preferred the first The Woods trailer. Word of mouth seems good so still excited to see this.

i see found footage mentioned but the movie doesnt really come across that way from the trailer. Is it conventional, found footage, or a mixture of both?

Even if it's found footage, it'd be disingenous for a sequel set decades later to be shot the same way as the first. Cameras are better quality now, so if it was still scratchy and broken it'd take me out of the film completely.

RangerX

Banned
I still love the original Blair Witch and remember all the hype around it when it came out. I'll be definitely watching this. Its from the director of the guest too which is one of my favourite films of the last couple of years.

strafer

I really hope there will be some interviews with Daniel Myrick, Eduardo Sánchez, I'm so excited to hear what they have to say. I wonder if they are involved at all with this movie.

Producer credit maybe because they are using footage from the first movie.

And if the old cast is returning...holy shit.

I'm going to ban the woods from my vacation list again arent I.

EatChildren

All roads lead to Cabin in the Woods.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Hmm, pretty disappointed this is yet another found footage film. They do absolutely nothing for me. Surprised that this fad is still around, honestly. Thought it had died with those Paranormal Activity films.

gamz

All these twitter and early reviews are getting me excited as hell!

Easily, hands down, the best movie surprise this year.

pitchfork

Very happy to hear this!

Was talking movies down the pub last week with some mates, and was saying it was only a matter of time before 'Blair witch' got either a remake or sequel

Sorcerer

It seems like a remake, is this necessary?
"Were walking in circles"
Guy facing the wall?
Movies like this only work once.

lazygecko

Even if it's found footage, it'd be disingenous for a sequel set decades later to be shot the same way as the first. Cameras are better quality now, so if it was still scratchy and broken it'd take me out of the film completely.

These days people are more prone to adding in a bunch of silly digital glitch effects in post that would never happen in an actual recording.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom