• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Blair Witch' (The Woods) Comic-Con trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeemumu

I hope they don't retcon the ending. The way he stared into the corner seemed to suggest something really fucked up and inexplicable happened to him. It's so much more boring to say that's the way you escape the witch.

Him facing the corner was a reference to the Rustin Parr murders that one of the townspeople brings up early on. He made one kid face the corner and killed the rest, but i can't remember if he killed the kid in the corner too.

Edit: beaten

cj_iwakura

Him facing the corner was a reference to the Rustin Parr murders that one of the townspeople brings up early on. He made one kid face the corner and killed the rest, but i can't remember if he killed the kid in the corner too.

Yes, that one was next. The ending of TBWP implies that's exactly what happens to Heather and Josh.

Kraftwerk

I found the trailer and plot based on it somewhat cliche...

Speculation

I see this going two ways

1) The sister is the new Blair witch and the brother has to kill her

2) the sister is under the command of the blair witch and kill the brothers friends, but at the end of the movie she regains a shred of humanity and sacrifices herself and kills the blair witch along with herself to save the brother

hopefully im wrong in both cases and its some new plot twist

still gonna watch it, as I LOVE the original one.

I wonder if he tells him to face the corner so that it doesn't piss off Parr's ghost or the witch. Who knows! So many questions.

Levito

Banned

He killed the kid in the corner too.

Basically the idea is
at the end of TBWP is that when you see Mike in the corner, it means the Blair Witch just killed Heather when the camera drops.
(Spoilers for TBWP)

Always wondered if it was
the witch or like the spirit of Rustin or something. Rustin's the one that made the kids face the corner, so I'm not sure why the witch
would give a shit about doing that.

Levito

Banned
Honestly, the trailer *is* cliche and a little too reliant on nostalgia. Not going to judge too much right now cause it might be just a marketing thing. Like a PR guy is all like "we need a bunch of visuals that'll remind people of the first movie blah"

Plus the first trailer was excellent.

Always wondered if it was
the witch or like the spirit of Rustin or something. Rustin's the one that made the kids face the corner, so I'm not sure why the witch
would give a shit about doing that.

Fans always debate this, really it's up to you.

ALSO THIS POSTER IS FUCKING AWESOME

CoBMcBIXYAAMb87.jpg:small

Basically the idea is
at the end of TBWP is that when you see Mike in the corner, it means the Blair Witch just killed Heather when the camera drops.
(Spoilers for TBWP)

I'm pretty sure he let the kid go in that story, although the kid was mentally fucked for life.

zeemumu

Basically the idea is
(Spoilers for TBWP)

I did some digging and found out that he didnt kill all of the kids. He left one alive because the witch told him he was done.

cj_iwakura

Right, but why would
the witch make Mike face the corner, when it was Rustin that made the kids face the corner as he couldn't look at their faces
or something.

Because she knows they heard the story.

That poster is incredible.

Though I kind of wish this wasn't tied to the first, I'd rather it be a new chapter.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Why does there need to be a specific reason? The surreal unknown in behaviour of a malicious otherworldly force is what makes it unsettling. It feels wrong and doesn't make sense and that makes us uncomfortable.

Why does there need to be a specific reason? The surreal unknown in behaviour of a malicious otherworldly force is what makes it unsettling. It feels wrong and doesn't make sense and that makes us uncomfortable.

Yeah, but we're talking about it as it's brought up in the new trailer and are just speculating about what's going on with it in the context of this new one.

jett

D-Member
I'm a massive fan of The Blair Witch Project, fascinated by found footage as a cinematic medium, and absolutely nothing about this looks convincing or interesting to me.

Nice clean oh so conveniently neatly framed found footage starring immaculate beautiful and nicely presented young people. Another Cloverfield, aka turd.

Will wait and see but meh. It's probably a generational thing, particularly with the tech (makes sense that this footage would look much nicer than late 90s handycams), but that trailer failed at conveying any sense of rawness and legitimacy to the premise and found footage theme to me. What I love about BWP is the chaotic mess of a film that it is. It's so amateurish and low budget and nasty. It had the benefit of being a product of its time and the successfully manipulative marketing leading up to the release, which I recognise cannot be replicated, but yeah.

For now, pass.

Yeeaaaaaa that's how i feel as well.

Another review: http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...ootage-sequel-to-the-blair-witch-project.html

The Daily Beast said:
Wingard never forgets which pieces are in play in his increasingly disorienting nightmare and leans into the tried and true signposts of found footage: loud noises, jump-scares, and a variety of recording sources that underscore the evil inevitability of impending doom. Despite walking into the woods equipped with every high-tech 21st century gadget you can imagine—walkies, cell phones, webcams, earpiece cams, and a drone—these characters have no idea how ill-prepared they are to survive these woods and their own millennial hubris.

Levito

Banned
I did some digging and found out that he didnt kill all of the kids. He left one alive because the witch told him he was done.

Ah you're right, because she wanted people to know what happened. One thing that's pretty constant in all the Blair Witch stories is she seems to want people to know she's "out there"

EG:

1.) Coffin rock--the little girl that went missing simply ran home but the search party was all murders

2.) Heather's tapes pop out out of nowhere while college students where on an anthropological dig.

This is going to sound silly but Blair Witch has such good lore, fuck. It's part of the reason I love that movie.

cj_iwakura

Ah you're right, because she wanted people to know what happened. One thing that's pretty constant in all the Blair Witch stories is she seems to want people to know she's "out there"

EG:

1.) Coffin rock--the little girl that went missing simply ran home but the search party was all murders

2.) Heather's tapes pop out out of nowhere while college students where on an anthropological dig.

This is going to sound silly but Blair Witch has such good lore, fuck. It's part of the reason I love that movie.

Of course not, the lore is the best part, it is known. Go read The Blair Witch Dossier if you haven't already.

Some responses from the comic-con screening on Twitter:

"Adam Wingard just deconstructed the genre. I've officially been found-footage mindfucked. Even without the smoke and mirrors marketing, THE WOODS aka #BlairWitch is the most fiercely frightening found footage movie I've ever seen" @AbrissErik

"This is one of the best horror movies I’ve seen in a while. #BlairWitch" @OGJONNY5

"#TheWoods is now @BlairWitchMovie and it is really good." @TimAlamo

"We just watched a straight up sequel to BLAIR WITCH. The ending is so crazy I am literally shaking as I type this. #SDCC2016" @ErikDavis

"I just saw #TheWoods... or rather, #BlairWitch. And it's good." @WilliamBibbiani

"Blair Witch is legitimately the most terrifyingly relentless movie I have seen in my life." @JimmyChampane

cj_iwakura

Anyone who's seen You're Next and The Guest is well aware that this is a man that knows how to send a movie off with a bang.

tumblr_inline_n8hzwfhBeZ1so61wb.gif

I will answer any - ANY - question about this film.

It is fucking amazing and terrifying.

We were all sitting down in our seats, staring at the poster projected on a movie screen.

Then there was a glitch.

And suddenly the name of the movie was something else.

We were all sitting down in our seats, staring at the poster projected on a movie screen.

Then there was a glitch.

Hell yeah! That sounds awesome.

I'm a massive fan of The Blair Witch Project, fascinated by found footage as a cinematic medium, and absolutely nothing about this looks convincing or interesting to me.

Nice clean oh so conveniently neatly framed found footage starring immaculate beautiful and nicely presented young people. Another Cloverfield, aka turd.

Will wait and see but meh. It's probably a generational thing, particularly with the tech (makes sense that this footage would look much nicer than late 90s handycams), but that trailer failed at conveying any sense of rawness and legitimacy to the premise and found footage theme to me. What I love about BWP is the chaotic mess of a film that it is. It's so amateurish and low budget and nasty. It had the benefit of being a product of its time and the successfully manipulative marketing leading up to the release, which I recognise cannot be replicated, but yeah.

For now, pass.

I'm with you, it looks too clean. You're right, the rawness of that 90s cam footage helped sell the premise more and in turn your imagination had more room to run wild in the context of the woods as a setting, especially during the night scenes. Helped make it all the more claustrophobic. Still hyped for this on the potential (and director) but that trailer did nothing for me.

Levito

Banned

Then there was a glitch.

You got to see it? I'm so jealous!

Out of courtesy can you please spoiler tag the answers to questions?

Hell yeah! That sounds awesome.

Half the audience went fucking apeshit - no, seriously.

The other didn't get it.

But my fucking god, I am not kidding when I say that watching the new people see this. It was like I was seeing the original on opening night again.

Seriously, I will spoil the entire fucking film if you people want.

kinggroin

Banned

Then there was a glitch.

Give us your review

Then there was a glitch.

Did you like The Witch? How's this compare? I thought The Witch did an excellent job at making the woods feel oppressive and claustrophobic and you instantly felt the family was doomed, in a place they weren't meant to be.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
welp time to bail out. with this IP and this director I'd rather go in fresh.

You got to see it? I'm so jealous!

Out of courtesy can you please spoiler tag the answers to questions?

I was planning on spoilering the really major shit, but the harmless stuff I was going to let slide. Like "was it good?".

My hotel internet is shitty, so I'll try to post multi-answers, but no promises.

Dalek

I want you to spoil everything for me. in a PM if need be. I fucking love Blair Witch and I can't resist knowing what happens in this. The wait is too long.

I want you to spoil everything for me. in a PM if need be. I fucking love Blair Witch and I can't resist knowing what happens in this. The wait is too long.
Can there be a spoiler thread. I'd be too tempted otherwise.

Sounds like having this movie spoiled would be a dumb idea.
Seriously, I will spoil the entire fucking film if you people want.
Here, made a new thread for spoilers and impressions
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1251303&page=1

Yes, the title changed, but it was only for the screening.

Did you like The Witch? How's this compare? I thought The Witch did an excellent job at making the woods feel oppressive and claustrophobic and you instantly felt the family was doomed, in a place they weren't meant to be.

Both films are doing very different things with horror. Hard to say.

Give us your review

I will Lionel Mandrake this shit in an official OP in September. Right now, I can only do basic replies as my internet is spotty here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom