• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blame! Official Trailer and Release Date

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rymuth

Hype levels off the charts.

kmjqz22kz8ie1nybey8p.gif

Oh SHIT

Never read the manga but it and Biomega always looked neat, this looks super rad.
Comes out on my birthday too but who's keeping track

Sigh, most of it looks cool, but it suffers from the same frame rate choppiness most cgi anime does. I understand anime runs at an atypical frame rate to normal cg, but it's be so much smoother if they just let it go to a solid 30 or at least 24 Especially during scenes where characters are speaking and emoting.

It's so hard for me to feel emotions for characters when I can only think of how choppy their facial animation are. Like a big flashing sign saying "I'm computer animated!" as I try and get into the story.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
I think it looks nothing like the Manga, do not like the look one bit - but i hate cg Anime with a passion. The other clips of an animated version of BLAME! look much better.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
What I really wanted to see animated was Killy entering that absurd city whose
leadership was made up of clones.

that and the part when he goes into that Silicon Life "nursery".

Nice! I read the manga for a bit years ago and thought it was a cool premise. As someone who loves Breath of Fire Dragon Quarter this reminds me of it in a way. Also what I'd imagine my dream futuristic "Souls" setting to be like. Glad to see Polygon Pictures doing it because I enjoyed both Sidonia and Ajin. At first I didn't like the CG anime mix but it's grown on me. Netflix killing it with original content.

which company is doing the animation? same as netflix's previous company that did the knights/ajin etc?
it's the same.

Decado

Is this a series or film?

Sad to see them using the same awkward character CGI from Sidonia and the even uglier Ajin (sp?).

Steejee

The choppy 3D style worked alright for me in Sidonia, but in Ajin it was just annoying (didn't help that I did not enjoy Season 2 of Ajin). Not a style I'm fond of but if the show is good I'll get over it.

Corum

For those interested in the manga. Until now it was very hard to get especially new copies since it was out of print.

The manga got rereleased by a different company (Vertical Comics) in an even larger format to enjoy the obscene level of detail in the art.

Here's a link to it on Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/BLAME-1-Tsutomu-Nihei/dp/1942993773

Thank you! I always wanted to pickup the manga but never was able to.

Blame! Vol. 1 ordered!

Oh shit, I didn't realize this was happening. I never really read the manga, but I used to fawn over the art all the time. Thank you based Netflix.

Love the work Polygon Pictures puts into their adaptations, so I'm excited to see how this'll turn out. I never really got that big into the Blame! manga (although I did read it from beginning to end) so I'm not too antsy about them taking liberties.

It's been a long time since I read the manga, but that trailer didn't remind me of Blame at all. When I think of Blame, I think of an amazing art style and a fantastic, creepy atmosphere. The trailer is the opposite for me. All it does it make me want to read it again. Good job, I guess.

That said, I really hope it ends up being a good adaptation after all, because the fans and anyone else who's looking forward to this deserve it.

Shredderi

All new story plus awful looking 3D model animation? Pass. I fucking love the manga. It has become one of my all time favourites because of it's brilliant visual design.

Strike

Didn't know that this was getting another adaptation. I guess it might be a good time to pick up the manga.

Skittles

The structure of Blame! does not lend itself well to a movie based format. It really needs an episodic adaption which captures the pure oppressiveness and bleakness of the world. It would need top-tier background artists too.

Trailer looks ok, i'll give it a watch eventually

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I'd actually enjoy a very quiet somber live action adaptation of Blame. Think Samurai Jack and relying on tight editing, smart cinematography, some kick ass visuals and long bouts of quiet where little happens but the journey and the insanity of the world Killy inhabits. I don't think something like that would ever be made but damn if I wouldn't watch the Hell out of a show like that on HBO or something.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Looks great, a straight up 1-1 adaptation of the manga would never, ever work unless you could coax Mamoru Oshii into doing it, and even then it would get slammed for being too slow.

I just watched it. Can confirm, is Blame. Its not a story I strictly remember from the comics, but it takes a lot of elements of it and makes a story that fits right in. I have a handful of niggles, but since this is probably a one off thing my complaints aren't really that big. Better adaption than I would have expected Blame to ever get.

Shredderi

All new story plus awful looking 3D model animation? Pass. I fucking love the manga. It has become one of my all time favourites because of it's brilliant visual design.

Don't know what I was smoking when I was writing this because I just watched it on netflix and it was awesome. The visuals were fucking glorious. God I love the city. It just has my imagination running wild thinking what kind of thousands of stories could be lurking in the dark corners of that massive city.

ZeroDivide

Unconfirmed Member
I'm super excited about this since I've been reading the manga the last couple of weeks. I'm confused as fuck on what's going on (i'm trying to read through it without internet help), but the art and design are so well done.

The environments in the trailer look a bit cleaner than what I felt was depicted in the manga, and for some reason I didn't expect Killy to have such a low voice (imho he just looks youngish in the manga). I'll hold judgement on this until I see it on Netflix

Tokubetsu

I'm super excited about this since I've been reading the manga the last couple of weeks. I'm confused as fuck on what's going on (i'm trying to read through it without internet help), but the art and design are so well done.

The environments in the trailer look a bit cleaner than what I felt was depicted in the manga, and for some reason I didn't expect Killy to have such a low voice (imho he just looks youngish in the manga). I'll hold judgement on this until I see it on Netflix

Welcome to Blame! haha, def. one of those books where you're kinda supposed to go back to it later. Like a lot of Nihei's stuff too it comes together a bit more/starts making more sense in the end. Exception being Sidonia which is probably the most straight forward thing he's done. Wolverine mini included.

For now just enjoy the art. Nihei comes from an architectural background so it's okay to get lost in his spreads =P

ZeroDivide

Unconfirmed Member
Welcome to Blame! haha, def. one of those books where you're kinda supposed to go back to it later. Like a lot of Nihei's stuff too it comes together a bit more/starts making more sense in the end. Exception being Sidonia which is probably the most straight forward thing he's done. Wolverine mini included.

For now just enjoy the art. Nihei comes from an architectural background so it's okay to get lost in his spreads =P

I really became a fan of his after KoS manga (and subsequent anime), but never knew he had an architectural background! Makes sense on how wonderfully crafted the megastructure is. Will have to check out the Wolverine mini after Blame!!

I'm actually looking forward to more works from him, just purely on his artistry. I mean, he makes sense some of the time :)

Zambatoh

I just saw this movie pop up on US Netflix.I guess they're a day early.
Looks pretty cool. I'll watch it tomorrow.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Looking forward to starting this; Polygon Pictures has become a favorite studio over the last few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom