• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma announced, coming to PS3

Personally, I never found BB to be that hard when it comes to execution for the most part. I'd say that it's easy to play but hard to master.

Mu
- Her AH got new animation

Thank god, I always thought she got the short end of the stick on that originally.

Personally, I never found BB to be that hard when it comes to execution for the most part. I'd say that it's easy to play but hard to master.
It's not that the execution is hard, but that each character has combos that differ radically in inputs even on the most basic level, so if you want to even try a character, you have to sit for hours in training mode to get the inputs down. And at that point, you don't even know how the character works, you've just learned a basic combo. It's a lot of work just to try one character out. Part of why I lost interest in the game. Too much time just to see if I liked someone.

Well, that's another thing I guess, yeah. For the most part everyone can do stuff like ABCxxSpecial, but damage-wise it doesn't really do shit >_>

I don't think it's THAT bad though. Going through the first couple of trials of a character should give you some idea of how things work.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
What makes you both say this? I watch tournament footage all the time but never followed each iteration's development within the community. Calamity Trigger is the only BlazBlue I own. I bought a PS3 during late 2009 and every time I was considering purchasing the sequel, an even newer version was announced. I know CT to CS was a significant upgrade; what changes did Extend involve? What do you not like about Extend?

We should discuss this in the MK9 OT.

Too little too fast, for me it is really frustrated to be grinding Blazblue combo for a month on console release, still learning the game. Then 2 months later they announced a new update be will alter all the combo and game system that you learned.

Not only that, since the arcade update will be Japan only, and roughly 8 months delay for the console port, it is very hard to go in deep on a game that I know will be doomed to be irrelevant in a year.

Sometime I wish BB franchise be dead like Guilty Gear, at least GG fans don't have to worry about all the stupid update. Fighting game need at least 2 years life span.

CronoShot

Question: As a complete BlazBlue noob, which game should I start with to get into the series? Should I just wait for this one?

And I'm mainly interested in the story mode, if that makes a difference.

Scratch

Question: As a complete BlazBlue noob, which game should I start with to get into the series? Should I just wait for this one?

Extend has CT true route and extended
haha
CS story routes. Plus it's only 40 dollars I think?

Tizoc

You could get BB CS Extend on PS3 or 360. It'd still be a good 6 months til a console release and you could find a copy for cheap atm. If you don't mind playing it for 6 months you could get it but as for learning curve...I honestly can't say ^_^;

Too little too fast, for me it is really frustrated to be grinding Blazblue combo for a month on console release, still learning the game. Then 2 months later they announced a new update be will alter all the combo and game system that you learned.

Not only that, since the arcade update will be Japan only, and roughly 8 months delay for the console port, it is very hard to go in deep on a game that I know will be doomed to be irrelevant in a year.

Sometime I wish BB franchise be dead like Guilty Gear, at least GG fans don't have to worry about all the stupid update. Fighting game need at least 2 years life span.

The only real problem with the way BB is handled, is that there's such a long time between when a version debuts in Japanese arcades and when there's a worldwide console release.

If the game were only arcade exclusive for a month or two, or better yet, not exclusive to the arcades at all, there wouldn't be a problem. There would definitely be more people playing.

Tizoc

Well, that's another thing I guess, yeah. For the most part everyone can do stuff like ABCxxSpecial, but damage-wise it doesn't really do shit >_>

I don't think it's THAT bad though. Going through the first couple of trials of a character should give you some idea of how things work.

IIRC, here's how damage is calculated in BBCS:
1st hit= 100% damage
all later hits= 50% damage
supers are an exclusion though, they're scaled differently I believe.

At any rate it's good that the you won't need to do long combos for damage.

Fugu

The only real problem with the way BB is handled, is that there's such a long time between when a version debuts in Japanese arcades and when there's a worldwide console release.

If the game were only arcade exclusive for a month or two, or better yet, not exclusive to the arcades at all, there wouldn't be a problem. There would definitely be more people playing.
They also need to stop releasing a new revision every year. This isn't Street Fighter; people will stop playing.

Real Opening

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aa3lknWskj4&feature=g-u-u

btw, i'm just asking, people seriously find this series hard to play?

i find game like SFIV or KOF ten times harder than this, not j/k

i can play 90% of the bb cast, instead with Kof and SF i can't even do shit properly with one character, even P4U need much much more skill than bb :X
As with any fighting game, the difficulty curve is mostly based on the quality of your opponents. "Easy to play" loses meaning when everyone else has been playing this "easy to play" game for a lot longer than you and/or with more scrutiny.BB has difficult combos, hit confirms, and blockstrings, as well as an absolutely giant amount of gimmick/limited use plays, they're just not necessary to win at a low level and the combat system is conducive to simulating early progress as most characters can get much better damage than their normals from a combo that can be learned in fifteen minutes. But the higher up you go, the deeper the rabbit hole gets.

IIRC, here's how damage is calculated in BBCS:
1st hit= 100% damage
all later hits= 50% damage
supers are an exclusion though, they're scaled differently I believe.

At any rate it's good that the you won't need to do long combos for damage.
Damage scaling in BB is quite a bit more complicated than that.

All attacks have a proration 1 (Henceforth refered to as P1) and a proration 2 (P2) value. These are percentages and indicate how much damage will be reduced; a higher proration value is better, as it means that the damage is reduced by less. The P1 value is applied to every move in the combo except the first, and comes from the first move in the combo. The P2 value is applied only to the next move in the combo. Characters also have a combo rate, which further prorates their combos.

So let's use a really, really basic Litchi combo as an example: 5A 5B[m] 6B[m]. Litchi's combo rate is 80%, which means all moves other than the first will deal, at most, 80% of their damage.

5A has a P1 of 80, a P2 of 84 and deals 300 damage.
5B[m] has a P2 of 89 and deals 720 damage.
6B[m] deals 820 damage.

You'll notice that I didn't list the P1 of any of the moves other than the first, and that's because you only use the P1 value from the first combo; I also didn't list the P2 value of 6B[m], because it falls at the end of the combo and therefore is not applied to any subsequent moves.

5A does full damage, because it comes at the start of the combo. Moves at the start of the combo always deal full damage.
5B[m] starts out at 720. It is influenced by both the P1 and the P2 of 5A, as it is the second move of the combo.
720 * 0.80 * 0.84 * 0.80 = 387
That's Base damage * P1 of the first move * P2 of the previous move * Character combo rate = Actual move damage.
6B[m] starts out at 820, and is influenced by the P1 of 5A (the first move in the combo) and the P2 of 5B[m] (the previous move in the combo), as well as Litchi's character combo rate.
820 * 0.80 * 0.89 * 0.80 = 467

If we add all that up, we get 1154 for your total combo damage.

There's also same move prorate, which punishes you specifically for using the same move multiple times in the same combo; only some attacks have this. Some attacks also have bonus prorate, which effectively boosts the amount of damage you deal instead of reducing it. Supers can only prorate to a certain degree and have a minimum damage, meaning that even if you'd have prorated the combo so much that everything would deal one damage, they would still do a certain amount; this amount varies from super to super, but is usually pretty low.

Amazing opening. So glad Mori art is back.
Bah, most of the art looks like a downgrade. Platinum didn't suffer too much. The music is definitely better than CS' opening though.
They also need to stop releasing a new revision every year. This isn't Street Fighter; people will stop playing.
Indeed

Unfortunately ASW only seems to give a fuck about Japan at this point. Someone needs to make them work for their sales here so they change things up.

Scratch

As with any fighting game, the difficulty curve is mostly based on the quality of your opponents. "Easy to play" loses meaning when everyone else has been playing this "easy to play" game for a lot longer than you and/or with more scrutiny.BB has difficult combos, hit confirms, and blockstrings, as well as an absolutely giant amount of gimmick/limited use plays, they're just not necessary to win at a low level and the combat system is conducive to simulating early progress as most characters can get much better damage than their normals from a combo that can be learned in fifteen minutes. But the higher up you go, the deeper the rabbit hole gets.

for once i think we agree on something :O

Tizoc

Damage scaling in BB is quite a bit more complicated than that.

All attacks have a proration 1 (Henceforth refered to as P1) and a proration 2 (P2) value. These are percentages and indicate how much damage will be reduced; a higher proration value is better, as it means that the damage is reduced by less. The P1 value is applied to every move in the combo except the first, and comes from the first move in the combo. The P2 value is applied only to the next move in the combo. Characters also have a combo rate, which further prorates their combos.

So let's use a really, really basic Litchi combo as an example: 5A 5B[m] 6B[m]. Litchi's combo rate is 80%, which means all moves other than the first will deal, at most, 80% of their damage.

5A has a P1 of 80, a P2 of 84 and deals 300 damage.
5B[m] has a P2 of 89 and deals 720 damage.
6B[m] deals 820 damage.

You'll notice that I didn't list the P1 of any of the moves other than the first, and that's because you only use the P1 value from the first combo; I also didn't list the P2 value of 6B[m], because it falls at the end of the combo and therefore is not applied to any subsequent moves.

5A does full damage, because it comes at the start of the combo. Moves at the start of the combo always deal full damage.
5B[m] starts out at 720. It is influenced by both the P1 and the P2 of 5A, as it is the second move of the combo.
720 * 0.80 * 0.84 * 0.80 = 387
That's Base damage * P1 of the first move * P2 of the previous move * Character combo rate = Actual move damage.
6B[m] starts out at 820, and is influenced by the P1 of 5A (the first move in the combo) and the P2 of 5B[m] (the previous move in the combo), as well as Litchi's character combo rate.
820 * 0.80 * 0.89 * 0.80 = 467

If we add all that up, we get 1154 for your total combo damage.

There's also same move prorate, which punishes you specifically for using the same move multiple times in the same combo; only some attacks have this. Some attacks also have bonus prorate, which effectively boosts the amount of damage you deal instead of reducing it. Supers can only prorate to a certain degree and have a minimum damage, meaning that even if you'd have prorated the combo so much that everything would deal one damage, they would still do a certain amount; this amount varies from super to super, but is usually pretty low.

Hmm i see. Mind u I was basing the math off of Tager's combos, so I guess his valuesa re different.

cj_iwakura

Bah, most of the art looks like a downgrade. Platinum didn't suffer too much. The music is definitely better than CS' opening though.

Well, going by arcade openings, CS' was pretty great. It's the console ones that always J-pop it up.

And can you really blame ArcSys? BB is huge in Japan, they support them, we don't.

Sorry for not reading through thread. Will this be a disk based release? I may sell CSE to make way for this.

Any word on how Bullet plays? Titty grappler? YES PLZ! ^_^

Scratch

Sorry for not reading through thread. Will this be a disk based release? I may sell CSE to make way for this.

Any word on how Bullet plays? Titty grappler? YES PLZ! ^_^

seems to be a retail disc release for ps3. the 360 version hasn't been announced yet, but seeing the track record so far, it's generally assumed it'll come.

bullet is a user of strike throws that are blockable throws (similar to some kof mechanics, i hear). i don't know too much about her, but check out dustloop. they have a list of all her specials and normals, along with a description of what they do/ look like

Final boss outed as "Izayoi", or Tsubaki in a Valkyrie-esque(or jumpsuit with metal tassets and floating shield-things) outfit. She has beams and diagonal air dashes and a lot of interesting-looking stuff.

Also, BBCP hits arcades November 21st.

Jawmuncher

Im complete garbage in Blazblue, However I love the story mode in the game.
So I can't wait to play this one just for that.
The characers lend a lot to that, since they're all just so enjoyable.

Scratch

Final boss outed as "Izayoi", or Tsubaki in a Valkyrie-esque outfit(guessing the Nox takes over). She has beams and diagonal air dashes and a lot of interesting-looking stuff.

More on this: Izayoi, like Nu, switches between two modes: Normal and Gain Art mode.
She also has a wavy heartbeat meter above her heat bar and her overdrive is called: "Freedom Justice."

credit to shtkn for that particular info

Yeah this is all sourced from DL and individuals there hunting down blog and scan info, amazing work from there in finding new info as usual.

cj_iwakura

Final boss outed as "Izayoi", or Tsubaki in a Valkyrie-esque(or jumpsuit with metal tassets and floating shield-things) outfit. She has beams and diagonal air dashes and a lot of interesting-looking stuff.

How could it not be Saya/The Imperator after CS' ending?

Noi

Tsubaki gets more attention and you're complaining?
KuGsj.gif

Scratch

according to kurushii on dustloop, both saya and kokonoe were unofficially confirmed to be on the home console edition. i don't know if i'm allowed to link the translated blog site though, but i'm looking at it right now

according to kurushii on dustloop, both saya and kokonoe were unofficially confirmed to be on the home console edition. i don't know if i'm allowed to link the translated blog site though, but i'm looking at it right now

Could you PM me that if you aren't going to post it?

Noi

Is there more info on Nu's changes from CS?

Also, seconding the PM for info if you aren't gonna post it.

Astral

Let's hope this is true. Izayoi sounds pretty cool though. I hope she's playable. Does that mean Jin will be the one to face the final boss? That's so weird.

Naite

Let's hope this is true. Izayoi sounds pretty cool though. I hope she's playable. Does that mean Jin will be the one to face the final boss? That's so weird.
She's probably gonna be like Hazama was in CS, boss for the arcade version, with a new boss for the console version.

Tizoc

...aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand still no
Jubei...or maybe they'll confirm him eventually @3@

Noi

Then, you assumed correct, right?

Maybe Tsubaki will finally have something besides her tits going for her now.

Haha, I didn't think it'd be something like a semi-Murakumo mode. I just thought the amber eyes meant she went FULL ON BLIND or something.

Always thought it was weird when people were thinking that person in the opening was Celica or some other character when she has those hair things that no other character other than Tsubaki had.

Ditto. Like I said above, I figured it was Tsubaki, just not.. well, that.

Korigama

Always thought it was weird when people were thinking that person in the opening was Celica or some other character when she has those hair things that no other character other than Tsubaki had.
It was quite weird. People have a habit of seeing only what they want to see sometimes.

Top Bottom