• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blazblue Chrono Phantasma Extend |OT| Extended Again

Hubb

I mean 15 thousand different versions that should really be patches. Buy this then locked out of future updates kinda cluster fucky.

It was 2 years and then some between BBCS Extend and Chrono Phantasma. I think it is a pretty safe bet that we won't see the next BB for 2 years. Unless a miracle happens and they do a WW release.

pants

It was 2 years and then some between BBCS Extend and Chrono Phantasma. I think it is a pretty safe bet that we won't see the next BB for 2 years. Unless a miracle happens and they do a WW release.

I'm sorry it just doesnt work for me, just like the SF situation fucked me right off.

Hubb

I'm sorry it just doesnt work for me, just like the SF situation fucked me right off.

That's fine. Everyone has their own situation. I doubt BB could survive if they just did patches. CT -> CS -> CP were major installments. If you don't care about the single player at all it may not be worth it for you, but I get my monies worth.

There is only 2 releases that should have been patches, continuum shift extend and chrono Phantasma extend. The other expansion version (continuum shift 2) was a patch

Fugu

Trying to practice my hitconfirms but people burst literally every time I hit one of the relevant moves. Time to learn burst safe corner combos *shrug*

That's fine. Everyone has their own situation. I doubt BB could survive if they just did patches. CT -> CS -> CP were major installments. If you don't care about the single player at all it may not be worth it for you, but I get my monies worth.
BB can't survive in North America the way they're doing it (at least as a competitive fighter -- the single-player people, rightfully, have nothing to complain about). And the issue isn't the patching itself but the fact that we spend about half of the time out of date to the current version and a quarter of the time on the cusp of being out of date, so there's no sense in fostering a competitive community. People are constantly dropping the game and an increasingly small number of them pick it back up.

The best version in my opinion -- and also the most competitively successful -- was CS2, which was released as a free patch.

The way that ASW works doesn't really help, either. There's 3 games if you count CPEX all fighting for the same competitive audience, all of which were released in a year and a half span. Don't get me wrong, every game has their own subset of unique players, but by and large P4A, GG and BB fight for the same anime scene, which tends to gravitate towards whichever series had the last major release (though CPEX is notably an exception). Given that there's been no news of a new Persona fighter and all GG seems to be getting any time soon is Revelator, BBCF will probably be the next "big" game in the scene. Least until something new comes around, once again.

Hubb

BB can't survive in North America the way they're doing it (at least as a competitive fighter -- the single-player people, rightfully, have nothing to complain about). And the issue isn't the patching itself but the fact that we spend about half of the time out of date to the current version and a quarter of the time on the cusp of being out of date, so there's no sense in fostering a competitive community. People are constantly dropping the game and an increasingly small number of them pick it back up.

The best version in my opinion -- and also the most competitively successful -- was CS2, which was released as a free patch.

I don't think they care about it being competitive (right or wrong) in the West. Unless they intend on bringing the game to home consoles quickly after an arcade release we will always be at a disadvantage. That doesn't even take into account the 6+ months it takes them to localize it after that.

I'm really liking BBCP Extend. There is tons of stuff for me to do, and I will never be or want to be competitive at the game. I enjoy the single player/story parts and while I wish there were more people playing, I can still get matches in the lobby no problem.

I agree with what The Yo Tornado said though. It is tough when they release 3 anime games so close together. That being said, I knew to skip BBCP and wait for the extend version which I got for the PS4 for $35 on release day. I can't complain about what I got.

Would I prefer they do patches? Of course, I don't WANT to pay more money, or wait for the next version. As long as they treat arcades the way they do I don't think they'll change how the consoles are handled.

Fugu

I don't think they care about it being competitive (right or wrong) in the West. Unless they intend on bringing the game to home consoles quickly after an arcade release we will always be at a disadvantage. That doesn't even take into account the 6+ months it takes them to localize it after that.

I'm really liking BBCP Extend. There is tons of stuff for me to do, and I will never be or want to be competitive at the game. I enjoy the single player/story parts and while I wish there were more people playing, I can still get matches in the lobby no problem.

I agree with what The Yo Tornado said though. It is tough when they release 3 anime games so close together. That being said, I knew to skip BBCP and wait for the extend version which I got for the PS4 for $35 on release day. I can't complain about what I got.

Would I prefer they do patches? Of course, I don't WANT to pay more money, or wait for the next version. As long as they treat arcades the way they do I don't think they'll change how the consoles are handled.
Oh no don't get me wrong. It's quite clear that they don't care. But that's a wasted opportunity and it honestly wouldn't be that hard for them to correct without disturbing the noncompetitive fanbase. Really, all they have to do is NOT sit on the console release for a year after launching the arcade version. They can keep charging $40 every two years for all I care. You just can't expect a region to be hype for an out of date game.

On that note, does anyone want to play tonight?

Oh no don't get me wrong. It's quite clear that they don't care. But that's a wasted opportunity and it honestly wouldn't be that hard for them to correct without disturbing the noncompetitive fanbase. Really, all they have to do is NOT sit on the console release for a year after launching the arcade version. They can keep charging $40 every two years for all I care. You just can't expect a region to be hype for an out of date game.

Tonight, as in 10+ hours from now? Sure

Azuardo

Best resource for a newbie to this game, and easiest characters to start with?

Either way, I really like the look of Kokonoe, and wouldn't mind trying her out.

Best resource for a newbie to this game, and easiest characters to start with?

Either way, I really like the look of Kokonoe, and wouldn't mind trying her out.
honestly I have no idea who would be easy anymore. People used to love screaming that Noel was easy, but she never was and this is her trickiest iteration.

Most likely it would be Ragna thats easiest

Jin is still pretty easy as well. Also if anyone wants to add me my PSN is Valkyria61. It's been far too long since I last played BB in any sort of serious matter and I'm itching to get back into it.

People used to love screaming that Noel was easy, but she never was and this is her trickiest iteration.

It probably was her drive, instant easy combos with a press of a button. Most would then find out that relying on her drive brings only misery and pain.
I've mained Noel since CT, I've tried to switch with every new version but I keep coming back to her even when she sucks.

Jin is still pretty easy as well.
But that 22C input is really annoying.

Edit: I am still personally trying to learn Nu. Spamming D at range seems like its a relatively easy thing to do, outside of the fact that the extended D spam combos seem to have issues of randomly dropping and obviously its just an obvious high low string that anyone should be able to block.

Wouldn't the console release cannibalize the arcade version though? Is there any data/study on this?
I'd imagine people would rather pay like 6000¥ once for a game than 100¥ per match.
The latter probably makes them more money.

Edit: I am still personally trying to learn Nu. Spamming D at range seems like its a relatively easy thing to do, outside of the fact that the extended D spam combos seem to have issues of randomly dropping and obviously its just an obvious high low string that anyone should be able to block.

Gotta learn the spacing and which swords to use.

I'll play some later tonight if there's a lobby

RoeBear

Jin is still pretty easy as well. Also if anyone wants to add me my PSN is Vallyria61. It's been far too long since I last played BB in any sort of serious matter and I'm itching to get back into it.
Your psn is typed wrong it's Valkyria61.

Also, I'll be on another hour and a half.

ggs milk/roe. CPEX Jin is the best, and by best I mean I can't wait for CF. I'm kinda glad you ended the room there. >_>

Also, Roe if you could do me a favor and tell me NOT to pick Makoto next time I think "I can totally do this" and pick her against your Carl, I'd appreciate it. I feel myself way too hard and forget none of her high damage stuff works on him.

What does this game's name even mean? What is a blazblue and a chrono phantasma? and why is it extend and not extended?

BlazBlue is a super powerful artifact/weapon/phenomenon thing, it's also called the Azure Grimoire because they really like inconsistent terminology. Chrono Phantasma is something or someone that somehow exists outside of time, kind of. Extend because it's extending the lifespan of this particular iteration.

Lore!

BlazBlue is a super powerful artifact thing, it's also called the Azure Grimoire because they really like inconsistent terminology. Chrono Phantasma is something or someone that somehow exists outside of time, kind of. Extend because it's extending the lifespan of this particular iteration.

Lore!

That was rather insightful. No longer is the name a bunch of words thrown together or a really poor attempt at "engrish."

Well the EXVS room I was in just closed. So if you want to pick on someone who hasn't played a real match yet then I'll play.

Edit: PSN ID: Lostconfused, ah ok assuming this is on PSN, I have the PS4 version.

Awesome, cross-gen play is so easy in this game(not really)! I'll make an open lobby, and you can join it from there if you want. Pretty sure that's the only way we can do it. ID is burritosapreme.

Lol failed to connect to the room.

Look, we all have to transition to the next gen sometime. I might as well do it now.

Edit: Wait have to fix some things, gimme a minute. Maybe it will make things work.

Ok I have a room up.

Yeah hopefully they fix this whole cross play thing on the next iteration of the console release. For Xrd, BB and whatever else they put out. Or it becomes less of an issue.

Nah, went to eat real quick. I actually really like my VAs except for Bang's (RIP Tony Oliver's dulcet tones). I tried saying they were "dope" but apparently that's a curse in BB's world, so it looked like I said they were shit, ha.

Alright, I'm out. A friend of mine wants to play a set. Later guys.

Yeah her wiki page is straight up copied and pasted from CP despite that being two different characters now. Wow.

I've seen people use her flashkick as a reversal. I don't know if it's invincible, but you could probably use it like Kagura's B DP where it's so fast with a large hitbox that it can get you out of some situations. Her backdash seems pretty good to use on wakeup as well.

Top Bottom