• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blizzard Real ID Screws Blue Bashiok

Dynoro

V_Arnold said:
1. "(as they could just google my name then get the character name from the search results)"

Wut? No character information would be linked to your Real ID on the forums, as stated above.

2. You should not (I am sure this is the way how it works) see your Real ID friend's friends, especially not in the same way as the friend system works now.

3. Again: no addon should gather information of this high level out of the interface: getting a Real ID means absolutely NOTHING if you do not have the proper method to gather data based on it. Blizzard's "gather data" method is used by the friend system, therefore if you are a friend of someone, with Real ID, you seei if he is on with X or Y char, or if he plays with SCII. This should be (or is) exclusive to the client, leaving addons and freaks out in the cold.

4. But let us say such addon is in the works now, and it does not get banned in a matter of days: how is that relevant with your raiding?
If you raid, you use Deadly Boss Mods, you use some custom action bar if you want, you use recount, and some class-specific addons like PallyPower. They have nothing to do with this "suppoosedly real" addon which gathers Real ID-s.
1. This is not how I interpretted the information; I was under the impression that the forums would show your RealID and the character you are posting with - but I could be wrong
2. You do see friends of friends when using RealID as people running SC2 have noticed
3. Your RealID can be gathered from running a single line of text in WOW. If additional information is blocked then fair enough but Blizzard haven't said this is the case
4. Addons cannot be banned in any real sense in WoW. Say the authors of DBM decide they want to harvest RealID info they can and if anyone finds out then people stop using the addon...till another one crops up doing exactly the same thing.

V_Arnold said:
And they are still not being forced to use the official forums.
Personal experience is anecdotal at best, but I have been playing WoW since 2006 jan, and not once was I needed to post on the official forums. To what end?

Who fucking cares if you need to or not? That is completely fucking irrelevant.

Rez said:
AMERICAN GUN LAWS WILL MAKE PEOPLE KILL EACH OTHER

VIOLENT GAMES WILL MAKE PEOPLE SHOOT EACH OTHER

REAL ID NAMES WILL MAKE PEOPLE HUNT YOU DOWN

You sound as rational as Fox News. Of course the consequences of each of these is not as extreme as you depict, but there *are* unintended consequences. The good and bad consequences might balance each other out, but to completely deny the existence of bad consequences is utterly stupid.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
when a community that never really finds a general consensus on anything other than the collective hate of those being obtuse and borderline ignorant in the name of campaigning against their favourite past time (conservatives against violent games and what not, not the wankery games as art debate) decide to take a similar stance on something that mildly discomforts them, it kind of embarrasses me.

Flachmatuch said:
You sound as rational as Fox News. Of course the consequences of each of these is not as extreme as you depict, but there *are* unintended consequences. The good and bad consequences might balance each other out, but to completely deny the existence of bad consequences is utterly stupid.
I have gone out of my way to articulate myself in another thread, and I went out of my way to quote myself a few posts back in this one to save you the trouble of finding it.

I am not pro-real ID, I'm just not against it. My stance always has been that, in a limited capacity, it is a worthwhile experiment.

Rez said:
when a community that never really finds a general consensus on anything other than the collective hate of those being obtuse and borderline ignorant in the name of campaigning against their favourite past time (conservatives against violent games and what not, not the wankery games as art debate) decide to take a similar stance on something that mildly discomforts them, it kind of embarrasses me.

"mildly discomforts" is obtuse and borderline ignorant

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
RiskyChris said:
"mildly discomforts" is obtuse and borderline ignorant
you either missed my edit of an earlier post on the last page or you just like sniping without actually saying anything.

Mumei

Rez said:
I think I have a higher chance of being hit by a bus on the way to work then I do being hunted down and being discomforted in any way as a result of my name being readily available next to an internet post.

This post reminded me that I was meaning to send you a Friend Request.

please say yes :3

Anyway, this sort of thing is a dealbreaker for me. I don't really even know why, either. I mean, there are a few dozen people who I "know" online who know my real name. There are another handful of that group who know my home address from my having mailed things to them or them having mailed things to me (e.g. my copies of Majora's Mask and Berserk DVDs are in Canada now; the Berserk DVDs were a gift from someone in California). And on a few occasions - mostly about three years ago - I've posted comments on blogs under my real name.

And yet I still feel very annoyed about this, to the point where I can't imagine purchasing one of Blizzard's products. I think it might just be an issue of control; where I feel comfortable with a certain lack of anonymity when it is on my terms, and I feel like there's a loss of control here that makes me uncomfortable. Maybe that's it.

Rez said:
you either missed my edit of an earlier post on the last page or you just like sniping without actually saying anything.

I read it. You think there is nothing dangerous about it in anyway whatsoever, hence when you say people are getting "mildly discomforted" about the change I called you obtuse and borderline ignorant.

You're free to clarify if you don't think that is a fair characterization.

Rez said:

There are parent groups against violent entertainment (and other issues with mass entertainment), it's not just a conservative issue. It seems though that you're only acknowledging the most extreme "violent games directly cause school shootings" type arguments (which are obviously stupid). I mean, just because you can form an argument in an extreme and trivially false way, it doesn't mean that there's no kernel of truth inside it. Accepting that kind of argument and only thinking in its terms is exactly as stupid as making it. You shouldn't be embarrassed because of what other people say, you should be embarrassed because you let yourself be manipulated by the way the argument is phrased and refuse to acknowledge the underlying problems.

I have gone out of my way to articulate myself in another thread, and I went out of my way to quote myself a few posts back in this one to save you the trouble of finding it.

I am not pro-real ID, I'm just not against it. My stance always has been that, in a limited capacity, it is a worthwhile experiment.

I was commenting on your way of "making an argument" in that particular post, which is imo pretty disgusting, no matter what you think of this issue.

Seeds

RiskyChris said:
Who fucking cares if you need to or not? That is completely fucking irrelevant.

Isn't that the most relevant part?

People are complaining about a feature being implemented in a game they don't have to play.

Isn't the solution quite obvious?

V_Arnold said:
Why exactly is that irrelevant?

Because being optional doesn't make anything less deplorable.

Seeds said:

People are complaining about a feature being implemented in a game they don't have to play.

No, it's not relevant. What's relevant is strictly what happens to those who do post.

People are complaining about a feature being implemented that might have dire consequences for some people. Having or not having a choice in playing is completely. fucking. irrelevant.

Mumei

RiskyChris said:
I read it. You think there is nothing dangerous about it in anyway whatsoever, hence when you say people are getting "mildly discomforted" about the change I called you obtuse and borderline ignorant.

You're free to clarify if you don't think that is a fair characterization.

In the post where he referred to people being mildly discomforted - an apt description for how I feel - I don't see anywhere where he said that there was nothing potentially dangerous about it at all.

And in his other posts, I think he did a fairly good job of giving this issue some perspective with the comparisons to other areas where he uses (or might potentially use) his real name. He never said that there was no risk, though.

Mumei said:
In the post where he referred to people being mildly discomforted - an apt description for how I feel - I don't see anywhere where he said that there was nothing potentially dangerous about it at all.

And in his other posts, I think he did a fairly good job of giving this issue some perspective with the comparisons to other areas where he uses (or might potentially use) his real name. He never said that there was no risk, though.

Yeah but I can see beyond my own risk and be actually discomforted by a stupid policy put forth by a company which will affect others.

V_Arnold

RiskyChris said:
Because being optional doesn't make anything less deplorable.

In your eyes, fine. That does not mean it is the truth.
Killing with knives is "optional". In fact, it is against the law. But that does not mean knives are not in every kitchen, in every country.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Thoughts on the situation from someone in the anti-virus/cyber-security field.

http://antivirus.about.com/od/emailscams/tp/Wow-Real-Id-questions.htm
Common Myths About WoW Real ID
For players of World of Warcraft (WoW), it can be frustrating to meet cool players from other realms in dungeon finder but then have no way of contacting them after. Or to discover your friend from school plays WoW, but their level 80s aren't on your server. Blizzard's Real ID program could have solved those issues and provided a safe, in-game way to communicate cross realm. Instead, safety was abandoned and the resulting WoW Real ID is a security nightmare. Despite its many flaws, some are quick to defend (and use) WoW Real ID. Here are a few of the common misconceptions leaving players at risk.

1. I'm only using Real ID for a few friends, so it's not a problem.
With Real ID, there is no such thing as only a few friends. Your first and last name will now appear on the status pages of the friends of their friends and you cannot control this. Friends of friends aren't friends, they are strangers.

2. The email address doesn't display in the Real ID list.
The email address doesn't display, but you have to provide it for the friend to add you. They can easily write it down and give it to others. You're only as secure as your weakest link. And while you may take online safety and privacy seriously, your friends may not. Plus, what happens if you have a falling out with that friend or guild? Are you comfortable with friends turned enemy having your email address (which, after all, is your account name for battle.net)?

3. I can use a different email address for WoW Real ID.
No, you can't. You must use the email address assigned to your Battle.net account, which is the same exact address you must use to logon to WoW, StarCraft, Battle.net, and other Blizzard services.

4. Passwords can be hacked anyway; Real ID doesn't change that.
Passwords can often be hacked quite easily. That's exactly why keeping your username private is so important. But in order to use the Real ID system, Blizzard requires that you send the friend your username (which is your Battle.net email address). So where previously someone would have had to guess both your username AND your password, now they simply need to convince you to be their friend (i.e. give them your username) and then they just have the password left to figure out. Or they can simply ask a friend of a friend to give it to them - widening the possible avenue of social engineering vectors.

5. Battle.net forum posts are optional.
Blizzard has extended Real ID to include Battle.net forum posts. The change impacts World of Warcraft, the upcoming Cataclysm, StarCraft 2, Diablo 2, and Warcraft III. As of July 27, 2010, Blizzard plans to explose players' real names in any forum posts. Unfortunately, avoiding the forums is not always possible, given that customer service and technical support are themselves forums. Indeed, in-game GMs frequently refer players to those forums for game help - making their use less of an option and more of requirement.

6. Real ID is optional.
Only the illusion is optional. Your real name is linked to your toons and already exposed via addons even if you never opt-in or use the Real ID feature. You can test this by running the following:

/run for i=1,100 do if BNIsSelf(i)then BNSendWhisper(i,"RealID whisper from yourself..");break end end

While this only displays your own real name, it does demonstrate the the connection has already been made, without your approval. And that it could be accessible to a third-party addon developer. When Blizzard merges accounts with Facebook (their next move), will the connections to Facebook friends already be pre-established, even if you don't opt in? If so, how will Blizzard/Facebook use that information?

7. The risks to person are being overblown.
Does the name Julien Barreaux ring any bells? He got mad when his online persona was stabbed in a Counter Strike duel. He spent 6 months tracking down his online opponent, after which he stabbed him in his real life chest. And this resulted from a game where anonymity was preserved. How many more Julien's will attack if if takes only 20 minutes to find someone's address thanks to Blizzard's Real ID policy?

V_Arnold said:
In your eyes, fine. That does not mean it is the truth.
Killing with knives is "optional". In fact, it is against the law. But that does not mean knives are not in every kitchen, in every country.

What the fuck? Killing with knives is an offensive action taken onto a victim. Posting on a WoW forum and getting knived makes you a victim.

Dumb fucking analogy.

Haunted said:
Seriously considering to just put people defending this on my ignore list.

Unacceptable.

My head is spinning, and I fundamentally think the RealID concept is great! Shit like this + that security expert post above make me smh like woah.

Rez said:
just to extend a tad on my earlier post, which I typed kind of early in the morning without covering some obvious holes in it, but I wasn't trying to say that if you're trying to protect your privacy then you are, definitely, a total scumbag with a pathetic life or something, or that there aren't benefits to totally anonymous forums like GAF, I was trying to say that a space like Blizzard's official forums is as good a place as any to have an alternative to the traditional GAF-like forum system.

One of the things I love about GAF is that it doesn't matter whether or not you're a man, woman, gay, straight fat, skinny, tall small (etc), if you type something interesting or well-thought out, people WILL listen. I am not against this and I don't think this should disappear any time soon.

At the same time, on an official forum space that might not attract as high or educated a population as GAF (take that as you will, but let's assume for the sake of this argument that GAF is the 'gold-standard' in similarly sized gaming communities on informed, if not always super-intelligent users) and doesn't have as strict a moderation policy (what, they're going to ban 50% of their traffic?), I feel like this is an interesting initiative. Will it work? Do I agree with it? Not necessarily, but I think it's a worthwhile thing to explore in smaller and/or official forum spaces.

As far as protecting your privacy is concerned, I would still argue that giving out your name on the internet is not anymore dangerous than giving it out in any other social situation. Also, maybe more controversially, I still believe that a lot of the outrage surrounding this does have to do with the fact like some people don't want their not-exactly-super-model faces readily available to be mocked on the internet alongside their long balance-related rant.

So no, I don't want this for GAF or many other spaces; no, I don't think your privacy is at threat; yes, I think this will clean up smaller and/or official and/or less moderated forums considerably and make them a much more sensible, if not as welcoming, community. Should this fail, I won't hesitate to say 'well, that sucked' and declare this a failure, but at the same time I do understand the, if not the publicly stated, logic behind Blizzard's actions. It's easy to be cynical, but I'm choosing to be optimistic.

Quoted for the maximum of justice. I'll also hazard a point that the forums, as a system under Blizzards control, are completely optional and if someone does choose to go on there they are making the at least tacit agreement that, in understanding their real name is going to be announced, they agree to this and are fine from a privacy point of view. If you don't like it don't post there. Likewise if you don't like facebook to know all your don't use it. Likewise if you want to spout shit anonymously you'll find a place to do that.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
ichinisan said:
Quoted for the maximum of justice. I'll also hazard a point that the forums, as a system under Blizzards control, are completely optional and if someone does choose to go on there they are making the at least tacit agreement that, in understanding their real name is going to be announced, they agree to this and are fine from a privacy point of view. If you don't like it don't post there. Likewise if you don't like facebook to know all your don't use it. Likewise if you want to spout shit anonymously you'll find a place to do that.
And when GMs send you to the forums for tech support? Is that an optional thing?

Seeds

RiskyChris said:
No, it's not relevant. What's relevant is strictly what happens to those who do post.

People are complaining about a feature being implemented that might have dire consequences for some people. Having or not having a choice in playing is completely. fucking. irrelevant.

A lot of things have dire consequences for some people, the difference being that people don't complain about the optional ones seeing as they don't have to do them...

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Blizzard is amusing

'dear consumer, you're going to have to reveal personal info on the internet, we see no downsides here'

idiots.

Zizbuka

Banned
There was a commercial for an identity theft insurance, or something like that. The guy had his SS# on the side of a bus, that's how sure he was of his 'service'. Didn't his identity get stolen after that?

Will people never learn.

water_wendi said:
And when GMs send you to the forums for tech support? Is that an optional thing?

You don't have to post though. And surely if you are civil and just ask a tech support question the crazies out there have no reason to target you.

If on the other hand you say

"HEY FUCKING GM COCKBAGS WHAT THE FUCK HAS HAPPENED TO MY CHAR>>>!"E$U)($"

then you are opening yourself up to abuse and mocking.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
to be fair, flach, I wasn't so much making an argument earlier in this thread as I was being condescending and deliberately brief and inflammatory as a way of contrasting my spiel in the other thread.

Of course you're worries aren't completely unfounded, but I see your worries in the same way as I see someone afraid of getting on plane because it might crash or because it might be over-run by terrorists. It exists in the same space of "yes, it could happen, sure" in my mind.

Worries concerning with racial or gender profiling are reasons why I believe this is a worthwhile experiment. I want to see how people react to this and how that particular online community evolves.

I guess, on the whole, threads like this just seem irrational and somewhat knee-jerk. This is a first try in the space, as far as I am aware, and I'm disappointed to see (almost) nothing but cynicism. This isn't going to make Team Liquid or GAF or WOWFANSITEX (sorry, I don't play) cease to exist. The way I see it, we have more to gain by watching how this plays out then we do by simply running to arms and storming down the front gates.

ichinisan said:

So exactly how is RealID suppouse to benefit me as a potential Starcraft 2 player?

Gravijah

Seeds said:

That's so fucking stupid. People shouldn't complain about things they aren't satisfied with? You'd rather just take it up the ass?

Not that I stand on either side of this debate anymore. I'm a few weeks clean of WoW now.

Starchasing said:
So exactly how is RealID suppouse to benefit me as a potential Starcraft 2 player?

It's not. However the hope is that should you decided to post in the official forums you won't act like a massive bellend.

If you did that in real life you would be rightly mocked, as people should for some of the irate reactionary crap they pull off inside the internet already.

Rez said:
Worries concerning with racial or gender profiling are reasons why I believe this is a worthwhile experiment. I want to see how people react to this and how that particular online community evolves.

Hm yes what a great experiment let's use people as guinea pigs to see how they'll get treated based on racial and gender lines in an online setting. Hope no one brings anything into the real world.

*is surprised when people online act just like real life*

RiskyChris said:
Hm yes what a great experiment let's use people as guinea pigs to see how they'll get treated based on racial and gender lines in an online setting. Hope no one brings anything into the real world.

The point here is that people would self-select themselves for that experiment. If they don't want to be involved they won't post.

Seeds

Gravijah said:
That's so fucking stupid. People shouldn't complain about things they aren't satisfied with? You'd rather just take it up the ass?

Not that I stand on either side of this debate anymore. I'm a few weeks clean of WoW now.

No... I would rather stop playing, which I did just a few weeks ago.

Gravijah

Seeds said:

But people still need to communicate why they have stopped playing, or why they aren't satisfied with something. If you don't agree with something, SPEAK UP!

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
ichinisan said:
You don't have to post though.
So you are just shit out of luck that Blizzard doesnt have enough money to properly staff a real tech support crew? Just hope that someone else asks the same question as you and that a helpful person that is dumb enough to post using their real name happens to answer it?

And surely if you are civil and just ask a tech support question the crazies out there have no reason to target you.
Going by this logic, people that are completely rational and respectful never get hurt in real life? Hate to break it to you but people get harassed just because of how they look or their opinions on life.

If on the other hand you say

"HEY FUCKING GM COCKBAGS WHAT THE FUCK HAS HAPPENED TO MY CHAR>>>!"E$U)($"

then you are opening yourself up to abuse and mocking.
So you, like Blizzard, admit that the possibility of someone tracking you down and physically hurting you is inherent in this new system? Scratch that.. its the entire purpose of the "anti-troll" system since its whats supposed to keep trolls in check. i mean, if that wasnt the case and the chance was so remote, why would trolls stop trolling at all? So you go from someone flaming me online to someone harassing me in real life. No thanks.

Seeds said:

Yes companies can and should do anything they want regardless of potential harm to a consumer because all rational actors who found the risk not worth the reward would surely leave.

Free market fixes everything again.

ichinisan said:
It's not.

Well you said it, it has no benefits and can bring potential problems. Do you understand now why are people biitching?

ichinisan said:
If you did that in real life you would be rightly mocked, as people should for some of the irate reactionary crap they pull off inside the internet already.

Have you ever worked at retail?

Yes companies can and should do anything they want regardless of potential harm to a consumer because all rational actors who found the risk not worth the reward would surely leave.

Free market fixes everything again.

I beleive that the right to privacy benefits outweights the cons.

if they wanted to stop the trolling just ban the trolls from playing the game... that would be enough punishment.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
RiskyChris said:

I have not yet let myself become totally bitter and without faith in humanity, dude, and it will be a really fucking sad day if I ever let myself become a hopeless cynic.

Rez said:
I have not yet let myself become totally bitter and without faith in humanity, dude, and it will be a really fucking sad day if I ever let myself become a hopeless cynic.

You don't have to be a fucking cynic to know what's going to happen dude. OP already has exhibit A.

I'm a pretty optimistic guy.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Rez said:
So how many people getting stalked/harassed/raped/murdered as a result of this "experiment" are acceptable?

water_wendi said:
So you are just shit out of luck that Blizzard doesnt have enough money to properly staff a real tech support crew? Just hope that someone else asks the same question as you and that a helpful person that is dumb enough to post using their real name happens to answer it?

Going by this logic, people that are completely rational and respectful never get hurt in real life? Hate to break it to you but people get harassed just because of how they look or their opinions on life.

So you, like Blizzard, admit that the possibility of someone tracking you down and physically hurting you is inherent in this new system? Scratch that.. its the entire purpose of the "anti-troll" system since its whats supposed to keep trolls in check. i mean, if that wasnt the case and the chance was so remote, why would trolls stop trolling at all? So you go from someone flaming me online to someone harassing me in real life. No thanks.

First point: I'm not suggesting shit out of luck, however if it's such an esoteric issue that a search of the forums doesn't register a hit then perhaps the person should consider and perceived privacy issues before posting or just call them up.

Second point: The incidence of people being harassed just because of how they look (which you won't be able to see on the ReadID) and their opinions (which aren't being voice with their RealID) is tiny.

Third Point: There is obviously a chance that someone would track you down, as there is now with peoples handles, as there is with someone that never uses WoW, as there is for someone that has decided to live in a box. My point here was that social mores in real life means people wouldn't say half the crap they do online because they know who they are.

Most posts on this issue are frankly alarmism.

ichinisan said:
First point: I'm not suggesting shit out of luck, however if it's such an esoteric issue that a search of the forums doesn't register a hit then perhaps the person should consider and perceived privacy issues before posting or just call them up.

Second point: The incidence of people being harassed just because of how they look (which you won't be able to see on the ReadID) and their opinions (which aren't being voice with their RealID) is tiny.

Third Point: There is obviously a chance that someone would track you down, as there is now with peoples handles, as there is with someone that never uses WoW, as there is for someone that has decided to live in a box. My point here was that social mores in real life means people wouldn't say half the crap they do online because they know who they are.

Most posts on this issue are frankly alarmism.

so why are you defending something that doesnt benefit the people playing the game?

Starchasing said:
Well you said it, it has no benefits and can bring potential problems. Do you understand now why are people biitching?

Have you ever worked at retail?

Retail manager for 4 years and staff for 7 so understand more than most. But again it is Blizzard's right to require this as forums are entirely optional (even for tech support queries).

My view here is that people are bitching because gamers and the internet in general have this anti-establishment entitlement complex that they want to do what they want, say what they want, and do it all anonymously. The real world isn't like that.

edit: Starchasing please see the above post.

It's just alarmism people, open your fucking eyes.

The incidence rate is "tiny." And furthermore, the threat of irl repercussions is a totally cool deterrent for trolls.

./thread

RiskyChris said:

The incidence rate is "tiny." And furthermore, the threat of irl repercussions is a totally cool deterrent for trolls.

./thread

How is it not alarmism?

Show me the huge amounts of internet reprisals that happen in real life, and then should me the incidence frequency based on all internet interactions?

Now tell me it's not miniscule.

Gravijah

RiskyChris said:

./thread

Oh thank god you added that period, you might have actually closed the thread!

Top Bottom