• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blizzard Real ID Screws Blue Bashiok

Haunted

CTLance said:
I found this to be an entirely to-the-point demonstration:

Sometimes even 4chan is good for something.
I am seriously baffled how someone... anyone could have thought this REAL ID business was a good idea.

Unbelievably naive.

V_Arnold said:
What we can all agree on is that stalkers and mentally damaged, or simply evil people will always find ways to mess up with those who they want. Up till the point when they get caught, or the story ends in a tragic way.

That is what we can all agree on.

So you don't think this system damages people's privacy, because it does.

Seeds said:
What kind of privacy law does this break?

Our directive concerning privacy and databases was approved back in the 90s i think...

so we probably going to need a new one concerning new problems like this one.

I am seriously baffled how someone... anyone could have thought this REAL ID business was a good idea.

Unbelievably naive.

it makes sense when you speak the CEO jargon of synergies and opportunities to monetize new markets and advance self degrading technologies

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Rez said:
I'm not going to lie and tell you I cry every time I read a story about a pedophile hunting down a child using some service on the internet or in the flashy twenty-first century that I also use, but, at the same time, I'm sure as hell going to be disgusted. I would be absolutely devastated if it affected me personally. Fortunately, I don't have a mind capable of processing the despair of thousands of lives randomly hurt by unstable people using Web 2.0-esque services, and I would never pretend too, unlike yourself and a handful of others in this thread.
So thats a confirmation that you dont care about anything unless you are personally affected. Gotcha.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Starchasing said:
So we can agree that this is a shitty bussiness move that damages people privacy?
I long since gave up that anonymity when I joined Facebook or posted on Twitter or started my blog. Look at the GAF post pics thread. Look at Google Maps. As a society we have long since forfeited that level of privacy. Once again, I feel like it would be hypocritical of me to suddenly act like my a concerned grandmother in the late-90s in regards to internet privacy when most people in the Western World are happy to beam much more invasive content about their lives around the world on a daily basis. I'm happy to accept that you personally hate Facebook and want your privacy, but I refuse to believe the majority of the gaming community, of all places, is unwilling to conceive of a world where their name will be on the internet next to something they've typed.

water_wendi said:
So thats a confirmation that you dont care about anything unless you are personally affected. Gotcha.
I think we're done here.

TheExodu5

Banned
V_Arnold said:
I hate these people "trying to prove a point".
They have tried "to prove a point" time and time again, last time it was about hacking Ubisoft's servers for that DRM stuff. Now this.

All they have proven is that they are immature childs, and THAT is the only real drawback to this system.

They proved their point perfectly. There was no better way of doing it. It benefits us all when people take up the pro-consumer torch.

Stop being such an immature child.

Haunted said:

Unbelievably naive.

Real ID is great when used with friends only. It provides cross-game connectivity for people on WoW/Battlenet. It should have stayed friends only.

Rez said:
I long since gave up that anonymity when I joined Facebook or posted on Twitter or started my blog. Look at the GAF post pics thread. Look at Google Maps. As a society we have long since forfeited that level of privacy. Once again, I feel like it would be hypocritical of me to suddenly act like my a concerned grandmother in the late-90s in regards to internet privacy when most people in the Western World are happy to beam much more invasive content about their lives around the world on a daily basis. I'm happy to accept that you personally hate Facebook and want your privacy, but I refuse to believe the majority of the gaming community, of all places, is unwilling to conceive of a world where their name will be on the internet next to something they've typed.

Quoted as these are my thoughts exactly and summarised better than I probably would.

I would like to point out I'm not trying to romance Rez here.

Haunted

V_Arnold said:
What we can all agree on is that stalkers and mentally damaged, or simply evil people will always find ways to mess up with those who they want. Up till the point when they get caught, or the story ends in a tragic way.

That is what we can all agree on.
Your reasoning boils down to "they do it anyway, so there's no harm in facilitating it."

"Oh, I'm just handing the pedophile the keys to the kindergarden - what's the difference? He would've broken in anyway."

This shit is mindboggling.

derFeef

So wait, if some parents hold the account for their kid, does this mean THEIR names are gonna be in the real id?

ichinisan said:
Quoted as these are my thoughts exactly and summarised better than I probably would.

I would like to point out I'm not trying to romance Rez here.

yeah but you refused to give us your real name... not that i care or want it for anyhthing but to prove my point.

And my point is that you are defending this because of your passion for Activision, not for other reasons.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
and, let's be honest, if Jeff Gerstmann survived the 8.8ing, then I think you and I will probably be a-ok.

V_Arnold

Haunted said:
Your reasoning boils down to "they do it anyway, so there's no harm in facilitating it."

"Oh, I'm just handing the pedophile the keys to the kindergarden - what's the difference? He would've broken in anyway."

This shit is mindboggling.

Bad analogy, very bad one. The keys are called Facebook, Google Maps and Google itself, not a forum where posters display their names.

You can get names from everywhere, this should not strike the internet social web as something new, something unprecedented.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Starchasing said:
And Rez doesnt give a shit about other people so thats why he doesnt care either.
I feel like someone just told me I don't have an ethical-centre because I'm a gay atheist.

Xater

Rez said:
and, let's be honest, if Jeff Gerstmann survived the 8.8ing, then I think you and I will probably be a-ok.

Or we will finally see who is crazier, WoW players or Nintendo fans.

Starchasing said:
yeah but you refused to give us your real name... not that i care or want it for anyhthing but to prove my point.

And my point is that you are defending this because of your passion for Activision, not for other reasons.

And Rez doesnt give a shit about other people so thats why he doesnt care either.

No I refuse to give out my name as it would just fuel the exact kind of behaviour this is trying to prevent. Someone would try and track me down. Currently I choose not to be tracked down and my information splurged about in some ridiculous attempt to prove a point. This isn't an environment I would like to release my name into because people are obviously quite heated on this issue and may do something that they normally wouldn't do.

Just like if I was to post of the Blizzard forums I would first make sure I felt comfortable that was into an environment where I'm not going to be hunted down for some reason. I would also ensure that what I say or do would not encourage this.

Rez said:
I feel like someone just told me I don't have an ethical-centre because I'm a gay atheist.

I said you dont care for other people because you said so.

You know that Activision is making this only for the money, and eventually all companies will do it , and eventually it will come a day that you will be forced to give up your privacy rights too in a matter much more important than a videogame.

No I refuse to give out my name as it would just fuel the exact kind of behaviour this is trying to prevent. Someone would try and track me down. Currently I choose not to be tracked down and my information splurged about in some ridiculous attempt to prove a point. This isn't an environment I would like to release my name into because people are obviously quite heated on this issue and may do something that they normally wouldn't do.

Just like if I was to post of the Blizzard forums I would first make sure I felt comfortable that was into an environment where I'm not going to be hunted down for some reason. I would also ensure that what I say or do would not encourage this.

ok im glad we can agree that posting your real name is just plain stupid thing to do in a forum

panda21

so all the real id supporters would be happy to have their gaf name changed to their FULL real name? thought not.

also dont see how this is 'creepy', its just demonstrating how ripe for abuse the real id system is.

if there is some permanent record of my name that is visible as having played starcraft II then there is no way in hell i'm buying it purely because being associated with stuff like WoW is bad for your career, and people always google the shit out of potential employees now. So unfortunately you need to be in control of what information can be linked to you online. Throwing videogames into that is a terrible idea.

V_Arnold said:
Bad analogy, very bad one. The keys are called Facebook, Google Maps and Google itself, not a forum where posters display their names.

You can get names from everywhere, this should not strike the internet social web as something new, something unprecedented.

i have a lot of control over what you can find out about me from facebook and google, because only what i choose to publish online under my name is there.

i would very much not choose to publish anything about videogames linked to my name, because unfortunately some peoples attitudes to that suck.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Until Blizzard holds a gun to your head making you post on a forum I don't see the problem.

I don't know why people are so worried about their personal information. Stop ninjalooting and people won't have a reason to burn your house down. :p

panda21 said:
so all the real id supporters would be happy to have their gaf name changed to their FULL real name? thought not.

also dont see how this is 'creepy', its just demonstrating how ripe for abuse the real id system is.

if there is some permanent record of my name that is visible as having played starcraft II then there is no way in hell i'm buying it purely because being associated with stuff like WoW is bad for your career, and people always google the shit out of potential employees now. So unfortunately you need to be in control of what information can be linked to you online. Throwing videogames into that is a terrible idea.

Why would you want to work for a place that would not employ you for what you do in your free time?

Why would you continue to work for a place that would disadvantage you for what you do in your free time that has no impact on your work?

If you got sacked or something for it take it to an employment tribunal. If you get knocked back take it to a discrimation tribunal.

I believe this is purely about peoples embarassment for what they do. A 14 hour day on WoW at the weekend is unfortunately not considered an appropriate use of time by society. (I however am not mocking it).

Rubezh

Woo-Fu said:
Until Blizzard holds a gun to your head making you post on a forum I don't see the problem.

I don't know why people are so worried about their personal information. Stop ninjalooting and people won't have a reason to burn your house down. :p

Once people calm down this is what they will realise.

ichinisan said:
Why would you want to work for a place that would not employ you for what you do in your free time?

Why would you continue to work for a place that would disadvantage you for what you do in your free time that has no impact on your work?

If you got sacked or something for it take it to an employment tribunal. If you get knocked back take it to a discrimation tribunal.

I believe this is purely about peoples embarassment for what they do. A 14 hour day on WoW at the weekend is unfortunately not considered an appropriate use of time by society. (I however am not mocking it).

same reasons you dont want to tell us your name...

Haunted

V_Arnold said:

Changed analogy, just for kicks: Real ID is telling someone where the keys are. They still have to get them themselves.

As I said, it just facilitates this sort of thing.

On a related note, is this:
Dynoro said:
Just a little amendment; you don't need to use the forums - even logging onto WoW will expose your real name through addons
true?

I don't know anything about WoW, so I'm asking for clarification here.

V_Arnold

Haunted said:
Changed analogy, just for kicks: Real ID is telling someone where the keys are. They still have to get them themselves.

As I said, it just facilitates this sort of thing.

Okay. Must remember this next time I take a university class and the teacher asks for everyones names. Might be that one bully remembers it, and that is the F**** KEY to everything! Ban name usage in all schools!

panda21

ichinisan said:

i'm sure its not their policy to do this but i know people who google potential employees and would look unfavourably on anything like WoW that they found.

i think this is more of an issue than you would think, since its entirely down to the personal prejudices of the person making the choice, and they will google you. its just not worth taking the risk.

Starchasing said:
same reasons you dont want to tell us your name...

Huh? I'd work for a company that would maybe sack me for playing WoW all day because I don't want people to prove a point?

Confused sorry.

Anyway, what was your problem with the reason I won't give my name out? Is it not balanced? Would it not be an appropriate precaution to take inside the internet and out?

here is some info on anothe rissues of privacy in the EU

http://www.euractiv.com/en/infosociety/eu-watchdog-slams-facebook-privacy-settings-news-494168

"It is unacceptable that the company fundamentally changed the default settings on its social networking platform to the detriment of a user,"

"Providers of social networking sites should be aware that it would be a breach of data protection law if they use personal data of other individuals contained in a user profile for commercial purposes, if these other individuals have not given their FREE and unambiguous consent,"

emphaasis is mine and its free as in freedom

and more

http://www.euractiv.com/en/infosociety/eu-slam-new-facebook-privacy-settings

The European Commission is threatening action against Facebook for recent changes to its privacy settings, which make personal information available by default, going against the EU's drive for more privacy protection on the Internet, especially for minors.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Rubezh said:
Once people calm down this is what they will realise.
Doubtful.

1) the forums arent optional since you have to be a paying customer to use them (not to view them however)
2) you are directed to the technical forums for tech problems by Blizzards own staff so theres really not much "option" about it

panda21 said:
i'm sure its not their policy to do this but i know people who google potential employees and would look unfavourably on anything like WoW that they found.

i think this is more of an issue than you would think, since its entirely down to the personal prejudices of the person making the choice, and they will google you. its just not worth taking the risk.

But again it's not company policy. So if some does do that you've got rights. People who I work with can look me up in Facebook and see my likes, I don't hold them back. If I thought for a minute that was being used against me I'd unleash the powers of HR instantly. Just take ownership of the issue!

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
ichinisan said:
But again it's not company policy. So if some does do that you've got rights. People who I work with can look me up in Facebook and see my likes, I don't hold them back. If I thought for a minute that was being used against me I'd unleash the powers of HR instantly. Just take ownership of the issue!
How are you going to unleash the powers of HR against someone looking at your resume and deciding not to bother with hiring a hardcore Wow player and the trouble that could come with it?

panda21

ichinisan said:

theres no way you can know if it has happened to you, but i know it happens.

i'm not talking about getting fired i'm talking about applying for a job, clearly they don't keep googling you to check up on you once you are there.

ichinisan said:
Nothing you said has any bearing in reality. HR will do a lookup, they don't have to tell you why you didn't get the job and hence you'll never be able to prove anything.

V_Arnold

water_wendi said:
Doubtful.

1) the forums arent optional since you have to be a paying customer to use them (not to view them however)
2) you are directed to the technical forums for tech problems by Blizzards own staff so theres really not much "option" about it

1) Whaat? They are optional, and not mandatory. The access is still restricted to those having BNET accounts, but that does not make it any less optional.
2) You are directed there, where if there is a known bug or technical issue present in any of their games, there are a detailed blue post regarding solution. There might be discussions too, but that is not mandatory.

If you are stuck with one of your chars, you open an ingame ticket from an alt. Or you open a ticket from the site, but that does not leave any publicly viewable Real ID anyways.

Well I think its perfectly reasonable for the community manager to be shown up in this way. If he is attempting to sell a service which as part of its product includes basically no privacy, its absolutely reasonable for people in the marketplace to see how such a system would work. I really don't see a problem. If this is the system they want, I'm sure they are planning with these sorts of events in mind, Blizzard managers aren't dumb, they're just very very greedy, which often leads to dumb, irrational decisions. They probably see themselves as being able to help law enforcement and so on.

panda21 said:
theres no way you can know if it has happened to you, but i know it happens.

i'm not talking about getting fired i'm talking about applying for a job, clearly they don't keep googling you to check up on you once you are there.

How do you know if it happens if no-one can know it's happening?

And if you believe that your being passed over for a job then you can claim discriminantion. Here in the UK there are tribunals for this, not sure about over in the US.

fake edit: Please note that I have given out a piece of information about myself willy-nilly there.

panda21

V_Arnold said:
1) Whaat? They are optional, and not mandatory. The access is still restricted to those having BNET accounts, but that does not make it any less optional.
2) You are directed there, where if there is a known bug or technical issue present in any of their games, there are a detailed blue post regarding solution. There might be discussions too, but that is not mandatory.

If you are stuck with one of your chars, you open an ingame ticket from an alt. Or you open a ticket from the site, but that does not leave any publicly viewable Real ID anyways.

so this ridiculous system is ok because you don't have to use it? then why does it exist at all?

i have no intention of posting on any blizzard forum but the fact they are willing to expose your full name and it can even be accessed in game (how long before someone hacks this?) is very worrying.

ichinisan said:

And if you believe that your being passed over for a job then you can claim discriminantion. Here in the UK there are tribunals for this, not sure about over in the US.

fake edit: Please note that I have given out a piece of information about myself willy-nilly there.

You will never prove shit that they discriminated in you in that way. That's the fucking point.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
V_Arnold said:
So i have to be at the mercy that other people need to have the same problem before me and be dumb enough to expose themselves to post about it? Many posts on the tech boards are "Hi, im having a problem with x when i do y." After a problem is found by Blizzard then maybe there will be a Blue sticky post about it.

ichinisan said:

Because I know people in HR at my firm, they have all sorts of stories.

Haunted

I think I'll have to up my choice of words from "dumb" and "naive" to "dangerous" and "irresponsible".

ichinisan said:
Are you seriously debating whether companies are looking up information about their potential employees on the internet? That's delusional.

This has been the standard practice for quite some time now.

panda21

ichinisan said:

:lol logic fail

i didn't say no one can know, i said its impossible to know as the person applying for the job if you didnt get it because they googled you and found out that you play WoW. do you honestly think they would tell you that?

i do know people in a position to choose who to employ, who google people, and who very much look down on WoW, and especially people who actually choose to mention it as a hobby in their CV. doesn't take much to put 2+2 together..

Haunted said:
Are you seriously debating whether companies are looking up information about their potential employees on the internet? That's delusional.

This has been the standard practice for quite some time now.

Has it? Really? Care to share more information?

OK, it seems that there is this perception that being a WoW player would be detrimental to getting a job.

I can see how, despite what I said before, it can be difficult to know whether this has been the case (you have been googled say).

But likewise they could also do the same if they find my facebook and see I like boozing, whoring and drug-taking. Or any of the other personal information out there. Personally I would much rather work at a place which doesn't discriminate against my out of work activities. Unless I bring it into work-time, then that's my problem.

Haunted

ichinisan said:
Has it? Really? Care to share more information?
Share more information on other people on the internet?

Do I look like I work for Blizzard or something? :p

You are free to not believe me (and the other four posters who have quoted similar knowledge/experience) and simply continue to believe that this is not happening.

ichinisan said:
OK, it seems that there is this perception that being a WoW player would be detrimental to getting a job.

I can see how, despite what I said before, it can be difficult to know whether this has been the case (you have been googled say).

But likewise they could also do the same if they find my facebook and see I like boozing, whoring and drug-taking. Or any of the other personal information out there. Personally I would much rather work at a place which doesn't discriminate against my out of work activities. Unless I bring it into work-time, then that's my problem.
You don't really have to speak in hypotheticals. Companies are doing so.

Top Bottom