• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blizzard Real ID Screws Blue Bashiok

Saty

ichinisan said:
Currently I choose not to be tracked down and my information splurged about in some ridiculous attempt to prove a point. This isn't an environment I would like to release my name into because people are obviously quite heated on this issue and may do something that they normally wouldn't do.

You can be damn sure that a WOW player will be 'heated' when he gets enraged about something in-game, look-up your name and the proceed to do something that normally he wouldn't do. In today's society were people get into physical quarrel over the most miniscule things and lose their calm instantly, having your name readily avaliable in the open can and will lead to unpleasantries, and such have already happened with video games.
RealID only raises the chances for that to happen, provides the extra bit of information to push the abuser into action.

botticus

ichinisan said:
OK, it seems that there is this perception that being a WoW player would be detrimental to getting a job.

I can see how, despite what I said before, it can be difficult to know whether this has been the case (you have been googled say).

But likewise they could also do the same if they find my facebook and see I like boozing, whoring and drug-taking. Or any of the other personal information out there. Personally I would much rather work at a place which doesn't discriminate against my out of work activities. Unless I bring it into work-time, then that's my problem.
When HR people have to look at the qualifications of sometimes hundreds of people for a job opening, they tend to take the easiest route - if there's anything they don't like about your personal life, they'll not worry about whether any of that could potentially affect your work, when there are dozens of other candidates who don't give them any such concerns.

Saty said:
You can be damn sure that a WOW player will be 'heated' when he gets enraged about something in-game, look-up your name and the proceed to do something that normally he wouldn't do. In today's society were people get into physical quarrel over the most miniscule things and lose their calm instantly, having your name readily avaliable in the open can and will lead to unpleasantries, and such have already happened with video games.
RealID only raises the chances for that to happen, provides the extra bit of information to push the abuser into action.

But getting so incensed about a game does suggest that the person becoming incensed has some kind of inability to temper their emotions. Putting them in the "at risk of becoming a crazy" category.

54-46!

panda21 said:
:lol logic fail

i didn't say no one can know, i said its impossible to know as the person applying for the job if you didnt get it because they googled you and found out that you play WoW. do you honestly think they would tell you that?

i do know people in a position to choose who to employ, who google people, and who very much look down on WoW, and especially people who actually choose to mention it as a hobby in their CV. doesn't take much to put 2+2 together..
"I'm a real leader and I'm good at taking care of my team, I've developed real social skills in my WoW clan where I command people what to do for 40 hours every week."

:lol

looks like i might not be coming back to wow for cataclysm after all. unless they change this, i'm done with them. made me die a little inside :( or i'll just play offline with sc2 and d3.

ichinisan said:
But getting so incensed about a game does suggest that the person becoming incensed has some kind of inability to temper their emotions. Putting them in the "at risk of becoming a crazy" category.

So it's ok for Blizzard to facilitate the goals of crazies. Gotcha.

Delusional.

V_Arnold

RiskyChris said:
So it's ok for Blizzard to facilitate the goals of crazies. Gotcha.

Delusional.

color-dinosaur.gif

V_Arnold

water_wendi said:
Thats a very insightful post. It refutes everything that was said.

Well, he has been dismissing every rational answer and comment so far, so yeah, I have found it a bit sarcastic. Sorry if you do not feel the same way.

Haunted

Darklord said:
They found where he lived and sent death threats to him.
Oh well, that's not so bad!

After all, these cooperations with facebook and other social sites will net Blizzard a good amount of money. Consumer data is a valuable good these days. What's to hate?

V_Arnold said:
Well, he has been dismissing every rational answer and comment so far, so yeah, I have found it a bit sarcastic. Sorry if you do not feel the same way.

Completely mischaracterized, unsurprising though.

Edit: Tell me something rational I dismissed, in fact. Do it.

ichinisan said:
OK, it seems that there is this perception that being a WoW player would be detrimental to getting a job.

I can see how, despite what I said before, it can be difficult to know whether this has been the case (you have been googled say).

But likewise they could also do the same if they find my facebook and see I like boozing, whoring and drug-taking. Or any of the other personal information out there. Personally I would much rather work at a place which doesn't discriminate against my out of work activities. Unless I bring it into work-time, then that's my problem.

Im glad we agree...

http://www.itbusinessedge.com/cm/bl...get-facebook-behavioral-advertising/?cs=39084

Innovation is important in today's society but should not go at the expense of people's fundamental right to privacy...We need a change of approach: Businesses must use their power of innovation to improve the protection of privacy and personal data from the very beginning of the development cycle.

She also noted that, at any time, people should have the right to say no to the collection and use of their data

Saty

ichinisan said:

I don't appriciate being forced to put myself at harm's distance, however small the probablity is that i would encounter an 'unbalanced' person. Not that it matters if the guy at the other end is 'crazy' - let's not open the door for him, or for anyone that i don't wish to.
Besdies, reading the news, you'll need to classify an ever-growing population as 'at risk becoming a crazy'.

And lets not get too far about the consequences. It's not like not in-person harassments aren't far enough ramifications to want this RealID shit axed.

V_Arnold

RiskyChris said:
Completely mischaracterized, unsurprising though.

Edit: Tell me something rational I dismissed, in fact. Do it.

Just to name a few. If you do not take others opinion seriously, do not expect others to do so with you.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
V_Arnold said:

Just to name a few. If you do not take others opinion seriously, do not expect others to do so with you.
ive yet to see any positives to this system. Care to explain what they are?

V_Arnold said:

Since your post isn't serious its perfectly ok to ignore it right?

Gattsu25

Banned
I'm just going to be doing the only thing I can do to fight this. I'm avoid Battle.net in all its forms.

Blizzard made it easy for me to miss out on Starcraft II since the Zerg campaign isn't going to be out for a while and there's no skin off my back for avoiding WoW.

Diablo III might be a problem.

Meier

Of course it happened to him -- it was to prove a point. When it's there for everyone, you can imagine it wouldn't be as big of a deal if everyone is in the same boat.

Meier said:
Of course it happened to him -- it was to prove a point. When it's there for everyone, you can imagine it wouldn't be as big of a deal if everyone is in the same boat.

It won't be as big of a deal because more people will have that same experience?

What the fuck?

Billen

Banned
Sixfortyfive said:
I still can't believe there's a single person who thinks this was a good or defensible idea.

But...but...it's Blizzard. It has to be good! Right? Right? Guys? Where did everyone go?

Haunted

Meier said:
The number of targets increasing will lead to a reduction in hits? I don't think that's how it works.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Haunted said:
The number of targets increasing will lead to a reduction in hits? I don't think that's how it works.
i guess the logic behind it is that if everyone has Real ID they wont want to harass someone in real life. Its like these people dont realize that these people arent going to announce in the forums "I am going to stalk you" - Ted Thompson.

ninge

surely this is a violation of the data protection act in the UK? you can't give out personal information on anyone without their express permission.

I can't see how choosing not to use a service you've paid for counts as being an option, especially as friends of friends can still see the information etc.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Does your real name get shown online while playing SC2? I noticed last night that my name is in parentheses next to my user ID in the beta.

Billen

Banned
ninge said:
surely this is a violation of the data protection act in the UK? you can't give out personal information on anyone without their express permission.

You probably have to agree to a TOS to continue using the services.

Gravijah

ninge said:

I'm sure they have something hidden in the ToS... which means absolute shit, and maybe we'll kill two birds with one stone.

No45

Haunted said:
I think he's saying it will lose its appeal once everyone has it. In fact, the crazies will move onto trying to attack the people who DON'T use Real ID once enough people start using it. But they won't be able to find anything out, because they won't have their name. OH GOD! THE SYSTEM WORKS!

I don't think that's how it works either.
Billen said:
I hadn't signed into Battle.net for a while and when I went to sign in today it asked me to agree to a new ToS before allowing me to continue. Needless to say I cancelled the login.

MNC

V_Arnold said:
I hate these people "trying to prove a point".
They have tried "to prove a point" time and time again, last time it was about hacking Ubisoft's servers for that DRM stuff. Now this.

All they have proven is that they are immature childs, and THAT is the only real drawback to this system.
'noooooo bitch killed me in pvp. im coming after you and your loot you fucktard imma fucking kill you'
'lol try to find me'
'noooooo you find me damn you blizzard, you shall hear from me in the afterlife court!'

I don't play WoW so I don't know what people can get upset about, PvP, loot, wtv.

Haunted

ninge said:

I can't see how choosing not to use a service you've paid for counts as being an option, especially as friends of friends can still see the information etc.
I'd assume by agreeing to the ToS, you're giving Blizzard express permission to publish your real name.

ninge

Billen said:

If that's the case then fair enough - those that dislike the change can i assume not agree to the updated TOS and get a full refund on any subscription they've paid?

ninge said:

i posted several references to EU law ... it does, maybe not strictly with the old directive, but thats from the 90s, there is a new one brewing and this shit aint going to be let go

Haunted said:
I'd assume by agreeing to the ToS, you're giving Blizzard express permission to publish your real name.

But according to the current directive you have the right to opt out .. and it doesnt look like this is the case.

DaBuddaDa

Starchasing said:
so we can agree with:

a) it provides no benefit to the enjoyment of the game
b) it might cause trouble for some people

?

c) it might alleviate some stress from Blizzard forum mods

We all win!!! Wait...

Kunan

All i have to say its the girls I know who play are going to have a hell of a time.

EDIT: You can already see it in stuff like the 4chan pic above. "I actually kind of like this change, there will be far less trolls on the forum now that their anonymity is taken away, and I can find out who that girl in my guild really is (she has a fucking amazing voice).

Meier

RiskyChris said:
It won't be as big of a deal because more people will have that same experience?

What the fuck?
If everyone is in the same boat, there's less of a point to prove where people will go out of their way to do something.

Put it this way. The first guy who had a cell phone in New York was probably warned about how he'd get mugged and have it stolen, oh no! Maybe that did end up happening? Let's assume that it did happen for shits and giggles. As more people got cell phones and they became more prevalent, it no longer would be some sort of overarching concern.

Billen

Banned
Many female gamers that I know will actually stop using Blizzards services due to this. Many of which the forums are a great part of the gaming/community experience and they now feel locked out.

edit: Since it seems that you will be able to get the info in other ways than the forum. At least for the time being.

Effect

Blizzard isn't going to change their minds until either someone ends up dead or they get sued. My guess it won't be until their sued even if death happens first. I guess the most one can do is simply avoid the forums for the time being if this doesn't make it into the game itself. There are just to many negatives regarding this. Negatives that should have stopped this in the actual planning stages. What the hell are their lawyers doing? They should have stopped them on self-interest grounds alone.

Alex

You don't need to avoid games, just don't post on their boards. Simple goal for most folks, official boards for anything popular are ultimately wastelands. If I were to boycott things after every grievance I took, I sure as hell wouldn't own a single console :lol

Blizzard makes great stuff, it's a shame to let a few lunkheaded decisions, that you don't have to participate in, ruin it for you.

Not that I think this will make it live, anyhow

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Meier said:
If everyone is in the same boat, there's less of a point to prove where people will go out of their way to do something.
The reason a point was made was to demonstrate the security flaw present.

Put it this way. The first guy who had a cell phone in New York was probably warned about how he'd get mugged and have it stolen, oh no! Maybe that did end up happening? Let's assume that it did happen for shits and giggles. As more people got cell phones and they became more prevalent, it no longer would be some sort of overarching concern.
:lol

Haunted

Meier said:
QfAvs.gif

Kunan

Here's a question. Since our battle.net login is used for the forums, wouldn't you just have to perform a user search on someone in the forum or do they actually have to make a post? I mean saying "don't post on the forums" may be very naive.

Kusagari

I can seriously see 4chan just trolling Blizzard's forums attacking everyone they feel like and ruining their lives.

Meier

water_wendi said:
The reason a point was made was to demonstrate the security flaw present.
How is it a security flaw? His real name being out there = a security flaw automatically? The vast majority of Twitter users have their real names on their account and you don't hear a single thing about it because it's the same thing for essentially everyone. This is much ado about nothing.

Interfectum

Kusagari said:
I can seriously see 4chan just trolling Blizzard's forums attacking everyone they feel like and ruining their lives.

Ruining their lives? :lol Christ can some of you be any more dramatic? It's your fucking name... :lol

Top Bottom