• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blizzard Real ID Screws Blue Bashiok

No45

Meier said:
Put it this way. The first guy who had a cell phone in New York was probably warned about how he'd get mugged and hav e it stolen, oh no! Maybe that did end up happening? Let's assume that it did happen for shits and giggles. As more people got cell phones and they became more prevalent, it no longer would be some sort of overarching concern.
So, now that everyone has one, nobody gets their phone stolen? Right? It happens more now than ever before, but because of that it doesn't make the news - therefore it's OK?

Kusagari

Interfectum said:
Ruining their lives? :lol Christ can some of you be any more dramatic? It's your fucking name... :lol

I take it you've never heard of 4chans attacks on peoples lives where they flood their phone, literally leave crap on their doorstep, call their job, etc?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Interfectum said:
Ruining their lives? :lol Christ can some of you be any more dramatic? It's your fucking name... :lol
:lol

You are so naive.

Patryn

I'd love to see the internal memos that are no doubt being distributed to Blizzard's community managers right now. I'm sure they're all filled with information such as: How to lock down your Facebook account! Be sure to set your Twitter to private! How to obtain an unlisted phone number! How to set up credit report monitoring! As well as other identity scrubbing services.

Because I guarantee: Bashiok was the beginning. For at least the first few weeks, if Blues are forced to reveal their real names, people WILL make their lives suck. Big time.

Meier

No45 said:
So, now that everyone has one, nobody gets their phone stolen? Right? It happens more now than ever before, but because of that it doesn't make the news - therefore it's OK?
What percentage of cell phone users are held up and have their phone stolen? 1%? It's an inconsequential percentage. They're not getting robbed because they have a cell phone, it's a side effect of it. People have their identity stolen online all the time -- it isn't JUST because their real name is somewhere out there. If it's going to happen, it's going to happen. Living in perpetual fear does nothing to prevent bad things from happening.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Meier said:
What percentage of cell phone users are held up and have their phone stolen? 1%? It's an inconsequential percentage. They're not getting robbed because they have a cell phone, it's a side effect of it. People have their identity stolen online all the time -- it isn't JUST because their real name is somewhere out there. If it's going to happen, it's going to happen. Living in perpetual fear does nothing to prevent bad things from happening.
So again i ask.. what are the benefits to tying your legal name to your forum posts?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Did we really 2 threads for the same issue? I know it's kinda big and no one likes it(well, 99% of people), but still...

Haunted

Meier said:
The actual flaw with your analogy was that having a cell phone has numerous advantages and uses over not having one. So mayn advantages that having it stolen is a risk people are willing to take into account when buying one.

While this Real ID business adds nothing advantageous to the end consumer's experience (it only helps Blizzard make more money by using that data in cooperation with other social networking
possibly data gathering
sites). You're just making people more vulnerable to abuse.

It has none of the upsides of your analogy, but all of the downsides.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Interfectum said:
:lol

And you are scared of your own shadow.

No, seriously, have you not heard of the things that 4chan has done? Like find photos of a girl that died in a car accident, literally masturbate on those photos, and send those stained photos to the dead girl's family?

This would be a fucking field day for these people.

Interfectum

Patryn said:
I'd love to see the internal memos that are no doubt being distributed to Blizzard's community managers right now. I'm sure they're all filled with information such as: How to lock down your Facebook account! Be sure to set your Twitter to private! How to obtain an unlisted phone number! How to set up credit report monitoring! As well as other identity scrubbing services.

Because I guarantee: Bashiok was the beginning. For at least the first few weeks, if Blues are forced to reveal their real names, people WILL make their lives suck. Big time.

Yeah I see the CMs getting the brunt of this due to people trying to prove how bad it is.

I do think, if Blizzard were to go through with this, they should put out a tutorial on how to lock down your various social network profiles. Especially for women.

Honestly though, I don't see this going live... all they have to do is lose 1,000+ subs on WoW with this being the cause and they'll flip it to account name instead of real name.

Meier

water_wendi said:
So again i ask.. what are the benefits to tying your legal name to your forum posts?
I find it to be a completely inconsequential change that people are blowing out of proportion. It should help with the trolling because internet tough guys are typically less tough when they no longer have their veil of secrecy. If everyone knows for sure the guy trolling is Jason Jones and his main character is Berserker, he'll be a lot less likely to troll as Usuckz.

I am not necessarily for the change personally, I'm just not vehemently against it.

Meier said:
I find it to be a completely inconsequential change that people are blowing out of proportion. It should help with the trolling because internet tough guys are typically less tough when they no longer have their veil of secrecy. If everyone knows for sure the guy trolling is Jason Jones and his main character is Berserker, he'll be a lot less likely to troll as Usuckz.

I am not necessarily for the change personally, I'm just not vehemently against it.

You still haven't convinced me how less people will be affected by this change than have already been (1).

Haunted

Meier said:

Man, I wish you'd be right. But you're not.

Interfectum

morningbus said:
No, seriously, have you not heard of the things that 4chan has done? Like find photos of a girl that died in a car accident, literally masturbate on those photos, and send those photos to the dead girl's family?

This would be a fucking field day for these people.

Yes that is awful... but as you said, that's already being done. If Blizzard were to not do this it should be because of real security concerns, not sites like 4chan. Do you really want sites like that to dictate what can and can't be done online?

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Meier said:
Anonymity is the greatest weapon of the griefer but it is also the only defense of the reasonable.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Interfectum said:
Yes that is awful... but as you said, that's already being done. If Blizzard were to not do this it should be because of real security concerns, not sites like 4chan. Do you really want sites like that to dictate what can and can't be done online?
Like I said, you're ridiculously naive. Having something already being done and making something already done easier to be done are two different things. That's just the reality of it.

kodt

Banned
Interfectum said:

It really comes down to personal responsibility. Blizzard can do this, We have the option of not posting on their forums, or not playing their games if necessary. It may be a difficult choice as we are big fans of their games, but it is still your choice.

Personally I will not be posting on the forums. I don't believe there is any way for a stranger to find your name in game (In SC2)

I just cancelled. I've been hating the MMO thing for quite a while and looking for an excuse to actually take a bite out of my backlog.

I didn't actually mind the Real ID thing but it's the addon security problem (I know there's a fake picture floating around but the potential is still there) coupled with the fact that it's just all so complicated now.

Real ID opting in / opting out = compicated

The game itself/talent trees/spec'ing = less complicated

I'm just not into it.

it seems like Blizzard has moved it's A Squad to work on the new MMO in development and has left the B Squad to work on WoW.

Freki said:
Worst part is that it is retroactive - if you have ever posted on a Blizzard forum you are fucked...

This is wrong. Err...I mean, YOU are wrong.

Freki

water_wendi said:
Afaik thats not the case.

"The classic Battle.net forums, including those for Diablo II and Warcraft III, will be moving to a new legacy forum section with the release of the StarCraft II community site and at that time will also transition to using Real ID for posting."

sounds to me like it is

Gravijah

bigdaddygamebot said:
I just cancelled. I've been hating the MMO thing for quite a while and looking for an excuse to actually take a bite out of my backlog.

I quit but I can't actually go through with canceling. Sigh.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Tycho's take at Penny Arcade:

Blizzard's RealID thing didn't make any sense to me, but that's because I was relying on the official message to get a sense of it's purpose. It's a much more straightforward when you read the article at USAToday's Game Hunters entitled "Blizzard and Facebook's friendly social networking deal launches with 'StarCraft II'."

If I thought I could top this comment over at MetaFilter, I would do so. I can't. The RealID thing is a bad idea that won't work. If it were merely a bad idea, or merely wouldn't work, maybe there'd be something in it. Accountability is crucial - you might recall our theory on the subject - and a fixed persona makes the laws of a microculture enforceable. But the idea that this persona must bear your actual name to lend it value (for you, or for others) is ludicrous.

The worst part about the official messaging is how it conflates expanded Battle.Net functionality with RealID, so that it seems as though these things are inseparable, as though your mystically-infused "truename" is a bundle of syllables congealed with a cosmic power. They chose to commingle these things in order to realize Battle.Net as a Social Network, and to develop true cultural currency (also: regular currency) thereby.

928101530_dfXDB-L.jpg

I still don't see how this is a big deal. Nobody is going to do this once everyone's name is out and 99% of you don't even post on the WoW forums / play these games.

Billen

Banned
All the ones posting here that this is a good move by Blizzard are the same ones that see this as a great way to identify the real women in Wow.

"Finally I will be able to show off my incredible internet moves."

Kusagari

Interfectum said:

It's Blizzard's responsibility to protect their paying customers. This shows a total disregard for them.

Freki

VGChampion said:
I still don't see how this is a big deal. Nobody is going to do this once everyone's name is out and 99% of you don't even post on the WoW forums / play these games.

Have you ever played a mmo? I am honestly scared by some of the individuals I met while playing WoW...

Gravijah

VGChampion said:

Hey, can I see the poll you did about NeoGAF players who play WoW?

bigdaddygamebot said:
Cancelling is a good way to let Blizzard know what led to your cancelling.

Eventually a report will be pulled and the "reasons" reviewed. If Blizzard is anything like my company, it'll take about a year. xD

I actually feel good about it. Like I have one less job to do.

Oh, my quitting wasn't actually related to this. Was just getting too addicted to that damn game.

Gravijah said:
I quit but I can't actually go through with canceling. Sigh.

Cancelling is a good way to let Blizzard know what led to your cancelling.

Eventually a report will be pulled and the "reasons" reviewed. If Blizzard is anything like my company, it'll take about a year. xD

I actually feel good about it. Like I have one less job to do.

VGChampion said:

Your perspective is wildly limited.

Seriously...I can't WAIT for this to eventually hit major news outlets. CNN is gonna turn this into something highly entertaining.

panda21

why did none of the people supporting this register their neogaf name as their full real name?

although you are refusing to admit it, none of you would. that is why this is a bad thing.

Sqorgar

Banned
If you ask me, Blizzard isn't the enemy. Google is. You aren't searching the Blizzard forums for pictures of someone's house.

panda21 said:
why did none of the people supporting this register their neogaf name as their full real name?

although you are refusing to admit it, none of you would. that is why this is a bad thing.

If it was mandatory, I would do it.

No problem at all.

VGChampion said:

You have no basis for that claim.

bigdaddygamebot said:

No problem at all.

As would I. I would also ensure that as much personal info out there as possible is locked down as well. Surely thats the best thing that everyone should be doing anyway!

panda21

bigdaddygamebot said:

No problem at all.

seriously? you're insane :lol having been on the receiving end of random PM abuse from a gaf lunatic (hi puddles!) i can safely say it would be a terrible terrible idea.

ichinisan said:
As would I. I would also ensure that as much personal info out there as possible is locked down as well. Surely thats the best thing that everyone should be doing anyway!

As lame as it sounds.

Relatively; I trust the average GAF user.

We might be all psychos, but not dangerous.

I assure you, society's greatest fuckups are playing WoW and haven't even heard of GAF.

panda21 said:
seriously? you're insane :lol having been on the receiving end of random PM abuse from a gaf lunatic (hi puddles!) i can safely say it would be a terrible terrible idea.

"pm abuse" is just that and nothing else. Getting shit-talked in PM is a far, FAR cry from the panic that this whole Real ID thing is generating.

Real names in WoW...not a good idea because it's too mainstream and too many people are involved.

GAF is small enough that the fuckfaces would get weeded out quick-fast.

Gravijah

bigdaddygamebot said:
As lame as it sounds.

I assure you, society's greatest fuckups are playing WoW and haven't even heard of GAF.

The average GAF user is not who you should be worrying about. Hell, not even GAF users. Do you know how many people read these forums?

TheUsual

Gold Member
Sqorgar said:
If you ask me, Blizzard isn't the enemy. Google is. You aren't searching the Blizzard forums for pictures of someone's house.

Google isn't the enemy, it just makes finding just about any type of information easier. Whoever posted his real name should have anticipated this. Was it right for those people to go as far as they did with the info they found? No, but the fans retaliation should have been prepared for.

Doubt RealID will be scrapped, but it might make people seriously think about what they post.

bigdaddygamebot said:
As lame as it sounds.

I think that's my point. I believe there are more "quality gates" exist around some of the more mental people on GAF which isn't there for Blizzard forums.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Fun fact: my dad knew more about my girlfriend than I did before I introduced them. All through the internet, all he had to go by was her name. He knew where she lived, where she worked, where she spent her holidays, her vacations and what kind of car she drove, all within 30 minutes of simply using Google.

Using Real ID on the blizzard forums will draw the perverts, creeps and cons out of the woodwork and into said forums. Now imagine them gaining access to above information. Would you really like people who should be behind bars to know all about your private life?

Top Bottom