• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blizzard Real ID Screws Blue Bashiok

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
ichinisan said:
First point: I'm not suggesting shit out of luck, however if it's such an esoteric issue that a search of the forums doesn't register a hit then perhaps the person should consider and perceived privacy issues before posting or just call them up.
No its not some thing that happens once in a blue moon. Referral to the technical boards are an everyday occurrence.

Second point: The incidence of people being harassed just because of how they look (which you won't be able to see on the ReadID) and their opinions (which aren't being voice with their RealID) is tiny.
The point was that you dont need to be an inflammatory shithead troll to anger people. Some people just dont like what someone says or what they look like. Anonymity is the greatest weapon of the griefer but it is also the only defense of the reasonable.

Third Point: There is obviously a chance that someone would track you down, as there is now with peoples handles, as there is with someone that never uses WoW, as there is for someone that has decided to live in a box. My point here was that social mores in real life means people wouldn't say half the crap they do online because they know who they are.
Just because the chance of someone entering your house and murdering you in your sleep is remote doesnt mean you dont lock your doors at night. Why take unnecessary risks when there is no benefit for doing so (except to whatever percentage ActiBlizz is going to get from this Facebook deal)?

ichinisan said:
How is it alarmism?

Show me the huge amounts of internet reprisals that happen in real life, and then should me the incidence frequency based on all internet interactions?

Now tell me it's not miniscule.

Hey my point is that being miniscule doesn't make it not fucking outrageously outrageous holy fuckballs.

What is miniscule incidence in 100,000 posters? 1 rape or stalking? 100? Which one is ok?

RiskyChris said:
It's just alarmism people, open your fucking eyes.

The incidence rate is "tiny." And furthermore, the threat of irl repercussions is a totally cool deterrent for trolls.

./thread
I work in pr, so having my name on the Internet is a huge problem, and using blizzards new forum could damage my career.

Seeds

Gravijah said:
But people still need to communicate why they have stopped playing, or why they aren't satisfied with something. If you don't agree with something, SPEAK UP!

It's clear at this point that blizzard doesn't pay much attention to what its consumers think, otherwise this idea wouldn't have been suggested, let alone implemented.

RiskyChris said:
Yes companies can and should do anything they want regardless of potential harm to a consumer because all rational actors who found the risk not worth the reward would surely leave.

Free market fixes everything again.

Yeah... companies can and will do anything they want regardless of potential harm to a consumer. I think that's obvious at this point

But as long as said potential harm can be avoided by simply not playing a game, I can't see the problem.

RiskyChris said:
Hey my point is that being miniscule doesn't make it not fucking outrageously outrageous holy fuckballs.

What is miniscule incidence in 100,000 posters? 1 rape or stalking? 100? Which one is ok?

What is the in real life incidence of rape?

Pray wikipedia, answer my call:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rape_statistics

So for the US, which is where most people seem to be from on the internet, its 31.5 per 100,000. So for anything lower than that you could say that the internet actually shields people from what could happen in real-life. Now how many people know of internet related rapes and we'll cross-reference number of internet people per year and see what's bigger.

I chose rape as you mentioned it, happy to move through stalking into other deviant areas if required.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
water_wendi said:
So how many people getting stalked/harassed/raped/murdered as a result of this "experiment" are acceptable?
I'm not about to lose any sleep over people being indirectly hurt as a result of my usage of services that psychopaths can potentially use hurt others with, that would make me a massive hypocrite.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Rez said:
I'm not about to lose any sleep over people being indirectly hurt as a result of my usage of services that psychopaths can potentially use hurt others with, that would make me a massive hypocrite.
So i guess you answer is as long as it doesnt affect you?

TheHeretic said:
I won't, but that's not really the point now is it.

Actually it is. This is Blizzard's system. They've chosen to do this, as is their right. People who don't agree are gnashing their teeth, as is their right. However this is completely optional, if you choose to post then these are the consequences, your real name will be published.

Rez said:
bleep blorp

emot-psyduck.gif

Ponn

Banned
ichinisan said:

So for the US, which is where most people seem to be from on the internet, its 31.5 per 100,000. So for anything lower than that you could say that the internet actually shields people from what could happen in real-life. Now how many people know of internet related rapes and we'll cross-reference number of internet people per year and see what's bigger.

I chose rape as you mentioned it, happy to move through stalking into other deviant areas if required.

Let me guess, you are one of those that also believe because oil spills only happen once every 10 years or so we shouldn't over react and stop drilling right? I mean, it only happened once so who cares right?

All those defending this, please post your real names in this forum right now or shut up.

freddy

Banned
The people in here who are saying they'd like to see this happen as a social experiment are very disturbing in their lack of empathy. Please go see your doctors.

There are certainly a few people in this thread I wouldn't like seeing any of my female loves ones personal details.

ichinisan said:

emot-psyduck.gif

Gravijah

water_wendi said:

Not that I don't agree with you, but where do we draw the line? When do we look past the methods, and towards the people that do these things?

Ponn01 said:
Let me guess, you are one of those that also believe because oil spills only happen once every 10 years or so we shouldn't over react and stop drilling right? I mean, it only happened once so who cares right?

All those defending this, please post your real names in this forum right now or shut up.

Why? Are you intending to track me down and go through my life? Then you are the reason why Blizzard are doing this. You are proving that point!

ichinisan said:
Actually it is. This is Blizzard's system. They've chosen to do this, as is their right. People who don't agree are gnashing their teeth, as is their right. However this is completely optional, if you choose to post then these are the consequences, your real name will be published.
Correct, but this is a discussion of the dangers of such a system, so discussing blizzards "rights" is both obvious and irrelevant as that's never been questioned.

ichinisan said:

So whats your name?

Why? Are you intending to track me down and go through my life? Then you are the reason why Blizzard are doing this. You are proving that point!

I think that our point is that you are defending this because you have a hard on for Blizzard even though you think its a bad idea to publicise your name

TheHeretic said:
Correct, but this is a discussion of the dangers of such a system, so discussing blizzards "rights" is both obvious and irrelevant as that's never been questioned.

But that's the point having a name is a danger. Me being sat down is a danger. Everything is a danger, has a risk associated with it. Why discuss these dangers if your choosing not to post there? You won't be exposed so your ok.

If some does choose to post and reveal their name then they are taking that risk, that is their choice.

Seeds said:
But as long as said potential harm can be avoided by simply not playing a game, I can't see the problem.

Of course it can be avoided and thats why i will never play and BN2 game, but this type of situations concern all of us like it or not, so we have to voice our opinion.

And my opinion is that no company should force you to reveal your real name to the internet just play a game.

Gravijah

ichinisan said:
But that's the point having a name is a danger. Me being sat down is a danger. Everything is a danger, has a risk associated with it. Why discuss these dangers if your choosing not to post there? You won't be exposed so your ok.

Friend, this is a message board. We discuss things here.

Starchasing said:
So whats your name?

I'd be happy to let you know if you tell me the reason for asking.

I'll treat you exactly as I would any other stranger I would meet or would give me a call.

But it's obviously you'll plug it into Google to prove some point that OMG I have personal information out there and you can get it and potentially guess things about me.

I can do that myself but I choose not to.

Darklord

Banned
Blizzard are going down hill. So bad to be a legendary developer do it. No AA in starcraft, terrible new battle.net, idiotic ideas like this.

Starchasing said:
Of course it can be avoided and thats why i will never play and BN2 game, but this type of situations concern all of us like it or not, so we have to voice our opinion.

And my opinion is that no company should force you to reveal your real name to the internet just play a game.

Yes they can it's their choice.

You want to go online, you use their servers. As you are using their servers they can request you do this. If you don't like it don't use them.

It's weird that people default to the "(This is going to//there's no way this'll) make people hide outside my home waiting to murder me" position. It's much, *much* more likely to manifest itself on Facebook and inside WoW itself. Bashiok had to take down his Facebook page. That was almost immediate. This will cause griefing on that site far more 100% guaranteed.

Also can't wait for the in-game bigotry to start get official support.

Ok, can I just hang fire on replying to any more of you as I'm busting for the loo and its nearly lunchtime.

Happy to pick this up again later though.

ichinisan said:

If some does choose to post and reveal their name then they are taking that risk, that is their choice.
The danger is melding peoples past times in the Internet with their real lives. No sane business professional would use this service, at least not in my field. Risking ones job prospects to post on a forum is an absurd prospect in of itself.

Finally, you can stop repeating that the forum is optional, I am aware.

I have a question: why wouldn't you just set your "real name" on the forums to something like John Doe. There is no way they can check if your name on the forums is your real one, can they?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
water_wendi said:
I'm not going to lie and tell you I cry every time I read a story about a pedophile hunting down a child using some service on the internet or in the flashy twenty-first century that I also use, but, at the same time, I'm sure as hell going to be disgusted. I would be absolutely devastated if it affected me personally. Fortunately, I don't have a mind capable of processing the despair of thousands of lives randomly hurt by unstable people using Web 2.0-esque services, and I would never pretend too, unlike yourself and a handful of others in this thread.

Gravijah

ichinisan said:
Yes they can it's their choice.

You want to go online, you use their servers. As you are using their servers they can request you do this. If you don't like it don't use them.

Using this same logic, if you don't want to discuss the issues, don't post in this thread. :lol

Liquid Helium said:
I have a question: why wouldn't you just set your "real name" on the forums to something like John Doe. There is no way they can check if your name on the forums is your real one, can they?
The vast majority of people already linked their WoW accounts to b.net a year ago and were never given the choice of smurfing. And you can't change it. At all.

Gravijah said:
Using this same logic, if you don't want to discuss the issues, don't post in this thread. :lol

Back from the loo and about to grab some food however...

I do want to discuss the issues, where there are some. My point here is, other than apparently annoying everyone for which I apologise, to show that there are no issues with this change.

Rez said:
I'm not going to lie and tell you I cry every time I read a story about a pedophile hunting down a child using some service on the internet or in the flashy twenty-first century that I also use, but, at the same time, I'm sure as hell going to be disgusted. I would be absolutely devastated if it affected me personally. Fortunately, I don't have a mind capable of processing the despair of thousands of lives randomly hurt by unstable people using Web 2.0-esque services, and I would never pretend too, unlike yourself and a handful of others in this thread.

So we can agree that this is a shitty bussiness move that damages people privacy?

Dynoro

Liquid Helium said:
If your account is hacked (which is made helluva lot easier by realid) then you need your real name to get it back. If you used a fake name then "bad luck; you've lost all your b.net games and characters"

Seeds

Starchasing said:

Problem is that the complains are falling on deaf ears.

They're problably going to go through with this, and the only option you have is to not use their forum or stop playing the game. Having a huge number of people stop playing the game would problably send a better message than harassing a random blizzard employe that had nothing to do with this decision, but I doubt that'll happen.

ichinisan said:
Back from the loo and about to grab some food however...

I do want to discuss the issues, where there are some. My point here is, other than apparently annoying everyone for which I apologise, to show that there are no issues with this change.

I will try to rephrase my complains.

If a company is allowed to force me to share my private information just to use their services, and they force me, not to improve the service but to make more money out of me

then

all the companies will do it, which is bad.

Problem is that the complains are falling on deaf ears.

They're problably going to go through with this, and the only option you have is to not use their forum or stop playing the game. Having a huge number of people stop playing the game would problably send a message, but I doubt that'll happen.

Thats why we have laws concerning privacy, at least in the EU.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Once again, I seriously question what is going on over there at Blizzard. Many of their recent actions concerning their games have me extremely concerned (whether its in the games themselves or with Battle.net). It's to the point now where I'm going to pass on their games until these issues are settled. It is just a bad idea all the way around.

Also, it'll make it easier for Jay and Silent Bob. :lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4l1_8wefR7c

V_Arnold

Starchasing said:
So we can agree that this is a shitty bussiness move that damages people privacy?

What we can all agree on is that stalkers and mentally damaged, or simply evil people will always find ways to mess up with those who they want. Up till the point when they get caught, or the story ends in a tragic way.

That is what we can all agree on.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Liquid Helium said:
You cant just change your name. You need to email or fax notarized name change paperwork to Blizzard to do such things. You could just repurchase all your games over again but there are two problems with that. First, a Blue poster on the EU forums said that they would be looking for any false names and banning accordingly, just like how Facebook does now. And second, more important imo, if your account ever gets hacked you will have to prove you are someone you are not. If you get hacked now you have to fax or email your drivers license to Blizzard, for example.

Top Bottom