• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blizzard's Forums Will Now Always Display Your Real Name

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Sorry if this has been posted already, but man, the :lol :lol :lol .

http://seewhatyoudidthere.com/2010/...ry-real-ease-of-stalking-in-the-internet-age/

Early on in that thread, a toon by the name of Sikketh (from Thunderlord) posted the following:

I’m really not so sure about what’s so devastating about putting a name out. My real-life name is (removed). My cousins have problems finding me on facebook and social networks because when they try to search for me, there are hundreds of results. Your real-life name is very likely not going to be unique.

I don’t see how knowing someone’s name can turn into knowing everything about them. I welcome anyone to come to me where I work, then, if you can figure it out by my name, and ask me about my WoW characters.

Or call my cell phone, it will be on. Throwing myself out there.
I may be a decent human being, but it’s nigh-impossible for me to resist a dare like that. I set to work.

With just his first and last name and his wow toon’s name, I was able to find his twitter, facebook, home address, home phone number, work address, work phone number and parent’s names. The whole process took about 20 minutes. I immediately called the house, but no one was home. I sat on the idea of calling his work for a bit, and eventually decided to do so (he did ask for it).

The following is an ACTUAL PARAPHRASE of the phone conversation when I called his work (names and addresses have of course been removed):

Coworker: Hello?
Me: Hello, could I please speak with So-And-So?
CW: Um, sure, hold on.
Me: Thank you.
::hold music::
(a new person, female, answers)
Manager: Hello, this is Kimberly SomeLastName, can I help you?
Me: Yes, I was wondering if I could please speak with So-And-So?
Manager: ::pause:: Sure. Please hold.
Me: Thank you.
::hold music, five minute wait::
::(Male Voice)::
MV: Hello?
Me: Hello, is this So-And-So?
MV: Yes.
Me: First and foremost, I want to apologize for calling you at work, and I also apologize if this doesn’t make sense, but are you Sikketh, from Thunderlord?
MV: ::pause:: Yes.
Me: So yeah, that took me about 20 minutes and it was pretty easy.
MV: Wow. Ok.
Me: Also, just for shits and giggles, is your address ?
MV: yep.
Me: Phone number 555-555-5555?
MV: yep.
Me: I know your parents’ names are Name1 and Name2, I know your room is painted blue and I know you have a cute dog. I know where you were on the 4th of July and I know when you got back. Don’t worry, I’m not a crazy, I’m not going to do anything with it, and I’m not going to post your address or anything anywhere. I just wanted you to know that what I did was very easy and very free, from just your name and toon’s name. You have a good day, and thanks for being a good sport about it.
MV: Hey, I did basically ask for it – thank you. I was wrong about RealID.

My post on the public thread is as follows, in response to his above post:

I would just like to point out that I just spoke with the above poster at their place of work. It took about 20 minutes, and I found his home address, home telephone, and parent’s names; I found pictures from the past year, read his facebook wall, know how old he is, know what books he brought on his trip this past week, and I know that he has an adorable dog named Molly.I know the color of his walls and where he spent the 4th of July; I know he has a penchant for clever/ironic tshirts and wears corrective lenses. I know who his favorite band is at the moment and what his relationship status is.

In addition, I know many *very* personal details about his life that I will not post here out of respect for his privacy (it’s hard for me to turn down such a flagrant challenge as the above, but I’m not a jerk about it), but suffice to say that there is a LOT of information on the internet, and once it’s there, it’s very, very hard to make it go away.

Moral is – your name might be really, really common – you can still be found, easily.

This RealID change is a bad one.

He took the whole thing really well, and has since edited his name out of his original post (as well as put in a “Edit: I was found!”) and we’ve talked some on facebook. I explained in detail to him how I went about it so that he can do what he can to close up those gaps (he’s since locked his twitter and facebook pages better, though finding his address and phone number didn’t require either, just his name). He’s even since applied to my guild and his application is under review.

someone needs to make a short pros/cons list for this.

I wonder if the only pro listed is going to be the "No trolling on forum" thing.

Not sure if this was already posted

Gamasutra said:
Since Blizzard announced that its official forums would phase in mandatory use of its new "Real ID" system, which marks posts with their writers' real-life names, there has been a deluge of heated discussion about the decision, and Blizzard says it is "definitely listening to player feedback."

Source

Safe Bet

Banned
Someone gave someone else their name.

That person found the other person's readily available public records....

This is shocking, how?

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
ShallNoiseUpon said:
Not sure if this was already posted

Source
So i guess making fake names is out of the question :lol

Players can actually register any name they wish when signing up for their Real ID -- but an account for a given game must be tied to a unique CD key for that game, and Blizzard says it plans to attempt to enforce the use of legitimate names.

"We have multiple teams here who will be monitoring the forums and looking for inappropriate names," the rep explained. "When the situation does arise, our community and customer service representatives will investigate and determine if any action is needed."

Holy shit :lol i guess i should feel bad for the guy really named John Doe.

Safe Bet said:
Someone gave someone else their name.

That person found the other person's readily available public records....

This is shocking how?
Its not. The only thing thats shocking is that Blizzard is going to be handing out the names.

Kimosabae

Banned
theMrCravens said:
someone needs to make a short pros/cons list for this.

I wonder if the only pro listed is going to be the "No trolling on forum" thing.

Doing such a thing would be pointless, because none of it would be based in reason.

Despite the lucidity of Luxarific's posted example, the ease of finding information about people via internet has never been disputed. What I don't find to be logical is the idea that having access to someone's first and last name promotes socio/psychopathic behavior. If the rare individual is inclined to take an even sparser action; seeing "BoobTube2k10" as their target's screename isn't going to impede them in any way, shape or form. Again, the name argument is a red herring.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Kimosabae said:
Despite the lucidity of Luxarific's posted example, the ease of finding information about people via internet has never been disputed. What I don't find to be logical is the idea that having access to someone's first and last name promotes socio/psychopathic behavior. If the rare individual is inclined to take an even sparser action; seeing "BoobTube2k10" as their target's screename isn't going to impede them in any way, shape or form. Again, the name argument is a red herring.
Of course it is because they dont know their name. Just from the name you gave me i found i really good picture of your house. Your lawn looks nice btw.

Kimosabae

Banned
water_wendi said:
Of course it is because they dont know their name. Just from the name you gave me i found i really good picture of your house. Your lawn looks nice btw.

Do you think the Counter Strike stabber knew his victims' name when his character was offed by him?

Thanks on the lawn compliment, but that's no longer my address. I haven't updated my Facebook or Myspace with my current address.

I've never done yard work in my life.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Kimosabae said:
Do you think the Counter Strike stabber knew his victims' name when his character was offed by him?
So making it easier is the correct course of action?

Thanks on the lawn compliment, but that's no longer my address.
Your welcome. Too bad on the move.. looks like a nice house.. neighborhood doesnt look so hot though but your old neighbors houses look ok (you know.. well maintained). Also im not being facetious about the lawn.. i really do like what was done with the palm trees. Good symmetry.

Fularu

Banned
water_wendi said:
Sure. So was that Blizzard dev that ended up trying to erase all the data that was uncovered. It was just staged.
Blizzard posters have been known (as well as their real names) for years. Nothing new. What was removed was useless posts about one's private informations that weren't meant to be posted. No Blizzard worker tries to hide who they are. Just open your WoW manual and all the names are there, from the guy cleaning the toilets to the lead designer to forum blues.

Despite beeing one hated guy, one has yet to attempt to kill GC

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Kimosabae said:
Again, I will say this is a red herring.
No its not. If you didnt disclose your name i wouldnt have been able to look at your house and car in under 5 minutes. In what way is offering first and last name not making getting a hold of your private information easier?

Kimosabae

Banned
water_wendi said:
No its not. If you didnt disclose your name i wouldnt have been able to look at your house and car in under 5 minutes. In what way is offering first and last name not making getting a hold of your private information easier?

Please go back and reread my last few posts. You're not getting the crux of my argument.

And since when has a person's Name, Address, Phone Number... front lawn and the type of car they drive (again, NOT my car) been considered "Private" information. Show me my email password and credit/debit account info along with PIN numbers - then we'll talk. Yellow and White pages have been around for decades.

*That isn't a challenge to anyone BTW

Quasar

Yoshichan said:
This is TERRIBLE. Oh my God, the forums will get even worse than they

Funny. I figured it would get better as the greater Internet fuckwad theory might indicate.

Of course they could clean the cesspool up with strong moderation.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Kimosabae said:
Please go back and reread my last few posts. You're not getting the crux of my argument.

And since when has a person's Name, Address, Phone Number... front lawn and the type of car they drive (again, NOT my car) been considered "Private" information.
Afaik thats always been the case. If someone comes up to me and asks me for my full name it is under my discretion whether or not to do so.

Show me my email password and credit/debit account info along with PIN numbers - then we'll talk.

*That isn't a challenge to anyone BTW
im sorry but you arent thinking this through. i dont need that to troll you in real life. i dont need your PIN number to post a craigslist ad saying your house is free after you decline me for RS because of my gearscore.

I don't understand why Blizzard doesn't just enact a system similar to GAF's if they are that worried about trolling. GAF is a pretty good place and the mods do a good job.

Safe Bet

Banned
TheKingsCrown said:
I don't understand why Blizzard doesn't just enact a system similar to GAF's..
Apple to Orange

GAF is free, has a much smaller community, and most members endorse strict moderation.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
There's no earthly way of knowing
Which direction Real ID is going
There's no knowing what we’re showing
Or which way this Thread is flowing

Is it hating, is it trolling?
Is a BoneStorm a-blowing?

Not a speck of Blue is showing
So the danger of must be growing
Are the fires of Hell a-glowing
Is Blizzard really trolling?!

Yes, the Thread, it must be growing
For the Posters keep on Posting
And they're certainly not showing
Any signs that they are slowing!!!

:lol

Zinga

Banned
It's a bad idea, people's privacy especially in WoW needs to be protected. I raided hardcore in WoW for years in some pretty hardcore guilds, and I can tell you there are some seriously mentally unstable people in that game who hold deep grudges against other players over in game drama and issues, and of course there is a lot of stuff that goes on in the forums which is equally as bad. I don't think it's hyperbole by saying that I would not be surprised if someone eventually gets murdered by a crazy person because they were able to track down people because of the changes Blizzard is making.

Kimosabae

Banned
water_wendi said:
Afaik thats always been the case.

I guess you never heard of the "White Pages"? Private information is largely considered specific access data, such as anything involving passwords.

Anything such as your name, address and telephone number are considered Public Information and can easily be accessed at your local telephone directory.

Saying you won't tell some specific person your name, because they creep you out, therefore your name is private, is silly.

im sorry but you arent thinking this through. i dont need that to troll you in real life. i dont need your PIN number to post a craigslist ad saying your house is free after you decline me for RS because of my gearscore.

No, you aren't. On the rare chance some idiot decides to cause some petty grief such as your proposed scenario, it's nothing to tell people "No, my house isn't on sale" and have the ad removed. Not the end of the world.

Xun

This made me laugh a bit.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/10543100.stm

Real worlds
One World of Warcraft player, Jim Brand, contacted BBC News to say how disappointed he was over the change.

"I have been using the forums for over five years, reporting bugs and trying to be helpful. Now, to have the privilege to help people on the forums I have to reveal my real name; I'm dead against it," he said.

"I work in a charity and deal with governments officials. If they do a search and see I am a gamer, it could affect my employment prospects," he added.

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
Probably been asked, but what happens for people who have the same name like, like Tim White for example? I do like some anonymity in forums. One of the main reasons I prefer Twitter over Facebook.

Safe Bet said:
Blizzard has removed "anonymity" as a feature of it forums.

Stating anything otherwise is hyperbole...

You have a choice to use the forums and/or play the game.

If you do not like the removal of that feature, go play an MMO that still offers it.

It's simple matter of a private company offering a product to consumers.

To argue otherwise is to pose a legal question (when does a voluntary consumer service become de-facto non-voluntary for consumers) which takes knowledge and intellect 95% of us in this thread do not posses.

It's not posing a legal question at all. No one's mentioned anything about a court challenge. A company is doing something we dislike, it will negatively impact our enjoyment of their products, and we're saying so, hoping both that it causes Blizzard to back down and that it prevents other companies from going down the same road.

Hixx

water_wendi said:
Dont really see the funny because he elected to divulge his personal information.

Gah, it may be late, but I'm sure that's why he found it humorous.

'I don't want employers to know I'm a gamer, but I'll just tell the biggest news outlet in the UK that I am and let them publish my name to boot!'

Vamphuntr

Vox-Pop said:
Probably been asked, but what happens for people who have the same name like, like Tim White for example? I do like some anonymity in forums. One of the main reasons I prefer Twitter over Facebook.

I think it will say your full name under your WoW username. It's not possible for two users to have the same username so it should be fine.

Won

Vamphuntr said:
I think it will say your full name under your WoW username. It's not possible for two users to have the same username so it should be fine.

There is no such thing as a "WoW username" anymore.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Kimosabae said:
No, you aren't. On the rare chance some idiot decides to cause some petty grief such as your proposed scenario, it's nothing to tell people "No, my house isn't on sale" and have the ad removed. Not the end of the world.

This..can't be serious, right? This a troll attempt? By all means give me your phone number. I'm going to call you every day once between 7-10PM and ask if your house is for sale. You will tell me it is not, and I will tell you that's too bad. And this will continue for as long as I want it to, because it is not the end of the world for either of us.

This is the part where you tell me that it isn't a big deal for you, and that you will simply call the proper authorities to report my harassment. Of course you'll have to fill out all the proper paperwork, surely talk with someone on the phone for a while, spend a significant amount of your precious time (I'm assuming it's precious, perhaps your life is very abundant with time) on some random forum idiot who doesn't even know who you are. But it's just a petty grief.

What about your family or significant others who also have to deal with this petty grief because of something you did on the internet? I'm not even trying to give some super far out example to prove a point. If someone right now rang my doorbell as a prank it would be enough for me to feel annoyed for myself as well as my family. Even if that annoyed feeling goes away in 5 minutes, it's still someone out there trying to cause me grief, however petty it might be. With the internet, the ability to do that is much simpler. With my real name, the types of harassment I'm vulnerable to are that much more available.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Vigilant Walrus said:
What I think here, is that you have serious trust issues. I also think you jump on the barricades, and that you turn things into a problem before it occur. You make things into a problem because you are afraid.

This is absurd nonsense. Stop throwing out odd bits of psychobabble that mean absolutely nothing. "You are afraid." Yeah, chief. You're not qualified or knowledgeable to make such a claim. Leave that crap to the trolls.

Vigilant Walrus said:
The women who are most likely to get raped in real life, are the women who are afraid of getting raped. Somehow, in many of the cases their angst project themselves as victims. You have nothing to fear but fear itself.

Making shit up and then ending it with a political catchphrase from 100 years ago does not substitute for facts, insight or reasonable discourse. Your quip about women who get raped is borderline misogynistic. Try telling a rape victim that they got raped because they were just scared of being raped. That's blaming the victim, and it's horrific and you should feel embarrassed for typing that out. Shame on you.

Vigilant Walrus said:
Be f**king rational for a second. Why would anyone want to stalk you? If you are on a forum with 100,000 people and everyone have their name revealed, why the flying fucking would anyone go out of their way to hunt your ass down? It's such a stupid scenario, that I can't help but just laugh. You watch to many action films.

I am being completely rational. It's not being fearful that you will be stalked to want to keep your data private from a faceless mass of people that you do not know. It's common sense. Just because you lock your doors at night, does not make you paranoid. It means you don't bury your head in the sand. Again, knock of the ad hominem bullshit. "You watch too many action films?" What the hell is that even supposed to mean? I'm not concerned that Arnold and Sly Stallone are going to hack my WoW account.

Vigilant Walrus said:
It's one thing to want to have privacy. It's another to think you are the center of the universe and that everybody wants to kill you for knowing your name. :lol

Once again, I feel the need to explain this in very simple terms so you do not misunderstand again. Nobody said everybody wants to kill anybody whose name they know. Everybody is saying that the risk/reward for this idea of Blizzard's is heavy on the potential risk, and non-existent on the reward.

Vigilant Walrus said:
It was wrong to call you insane, but you are projecting absolute hysteria. That's not a trademark of a psychopath. Just a unstable individual.

Seriously, knock this nonsense off. You look very dumb when you say things like this, and I don't actually think that's the case. Are you capable of posting something without resorting to this crap? Let's see.

Kimosabae

Banned
worldrevolution said:
This..can't be serious, right? This a troll attempt? By all means give me your phone number. I'm going to call you every day once between 7-10PM and ask if your house is for sale. You will tell me it is not, and I will tell you that's too bad. And this will continue for as long as I want it to, because it is not the end of the world for either of us.

This is the part where you tell me that it isn't a big deal for you, and that you will simply call the proper authorities to report my harassment. Of course you'll have to fill out all the proper paperwork, surely talk with someone on the phone for a while, spend a significant amount of your precious time (I'm assuming it's precious, perhaps your life is very abundant with time) on some random forum idiot who doesn't even know who you are. But it's just a petty grief.

What about your family or significant others who also have to deal with this petty grief because of something you did on the internet? I'm not even trying to give some super far out example to prove a point. If someone right now rang my doorbell as a prank it would be enough for me to feel annoyed for myself as well as my family. Even if that annoyed feeling goes away in 5 minutes, it's still someone out there trying to cause me grief, however petty it might be. With the internet, the ability to do that is much simpler. With my real name, the types of harassment I'm vulnerable to are that much more available.

Internet Battle Guidline # 37: Preface your post with hackneyed phrases such as "You can't be serious..." or "You've got to be joking?" that provide a front of confidence in your walls of text.

Nothing in this nonsensical elaboration of an already dead-in-the-water platitude provides substance. No, even still, in the grande scheme of things, this isn't a big deal. If the problem persists, I can go to T-Mobile and get my number changed. Takes a visit. Hell, I don't even answer numbers I don't recognize in the first place, so that example wouldn't even bother me in particular.

Ringing the doorbell?? Please. Just stop, the straw clutching is pathetic. The "please think of the children!" sentiments are borderline giddy.

It takes two people for this type of harrassment to work. When it's this petty, the antagonist won't persist forever.

Fularu

Banned
Kimosabae said:
Internet Battle Guidline # 37: Preface your post with hackneyed phrases such "You can't be serious..." or "You've got to be joking?" that to provide a front of confidence in your walls of text.

Nothing in this nonsensical elaboration of an already dead-in-the-water platitude provides substance. No, even still, in the grande scheme of things, this isn't a big deal. If the problem persists, I can go to T-Mobile and get my number changed. Takes a visit. Hell, I don't even answer numbers I don't recognize in the first place, so that example wouldn't even bother me in particular.

Ringing the doorbell?? Please. Just stop, the straw clutching is pathetic.

It takes two people for this type of harrassment to work. When it's this petty, the antagonist won't persist forever.
Bell ringing made me laugh. Some of those people are like rabbits, afraid of their own shadow in this world.

I guess they should also start crying about the yellow pages

Kimosabae

Banned
Fularu said:
Bell ringing made me laugh. Some of those people are like rabbits, afraid of their own shadow in this world.

BUT THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!

*wishes he knew how to make GIFs*

water_wendi said:
There's no earthly way of knowing
Which direction Real ID is going
There's no knowing what we’re showing
Or which way this Thread is flowing

Is it hating, is it trolling?
Is a BoneStorm a-blowing?

Not a speck of Blue is showing
So the danger of must be growing
Are the fires of Hell a-glowing
Is Blizzard really trolling?!

Yes, the Thread, it must be growing
For the Posters keep on Posting
And they're certainly not showing
Any signs that they are slowing!!!

Haha! This great.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
If there's any justification for the removal of this feature, it's that the majority of the players want to see it gone for whatever reasons they have.

I don't understand why Blizzard doesn't just enact a system similar to GAF's if they are that worried about trolling. GAF is a pretty good place and the mods do a good job.
Stricter moderation isn't possible, from WoW's business standpoints, because it would feel like the players are being controlled, which is a lot worse than this. Look at all the forums spinoffs full of jaded ex-gaffers, and the ones that stalk gaf and make youtube comments wanting to be unbanned. If they adopted GAF's moderation policy it would drive players to other games.

GAF is a pretty good place and a pretty exclusive place too considering how other forums just grow limitlessly.

Also for all the defenders of this change: From my POV they're trying to make WoW less and less of what it was during vanilla (a poorly balanced but fun game to play) into some kind of social networking thing. Like how facebook is trying to get more games and games integration into its apps, WoW is trying to integrate more social aspects into their game. Casualization, etc. And I can understand why some people would reject something like this.

freddy

Banned
Vigilant Walrus said:
The women who are most likely to get raped in real life, are the women who are afraid of getting raped.
That's just fucking stupid and dense. Some of you tools will use anything to win an argument online..

Curufinwe

Vigilant Walrus said:
The women who are most likely to get raped in real life, are the women who are afraid of getting raped.

Do you have a link to the research backing that up, or did you just come up with that vile and offensive statement all by yourself?

Kimosabae

Banned
That statement's not as off-the-wall as it initially sounds. In sociology classes this was often brought up as a point of discussion regarding various "Self-Fulfilling Prophecy" mechanisms. Women with a phobia of being raped tend to wear a lack of confidence on their sleeve that draws attention.

freddy

Banned
Fularu said:
Some of those people are like rabbits, afraid of their own shadow in this world.

The thing is some people are like rabbits Then you have people who are like wolves. For you and I, two grown men who have confidence in our ability to stand up and protect ourselves it may not seem like such a big deal. But my concern is for those rabbits. The gullible young girl who thinks she can trust everyone or who has a crush on the guild leader who is actually a deviant with a string of charges to his name. There's a reason a lot of MMOs and social sites have warnings about giving out personal information. Not everyone plays by the rules.
Kimosabae said:
That statement's not as off-the-wall as it sounds. In sociology classes this was often brought up as a point of discussion regarding various "Self-Fulfilling Prophecy" mechanisms.
It's disturbing that rape even popped into his head in the first place to use as an analogy.

Fularu

Banned
freddy said:
The thing is some people are like rabbits Then you have people who are like wolves. For you and I, two grown men who have confidence in our ability to stand up and protect ourselves it may not seem like such a big deal. But my concern is for those rabbits. The gullible young girl who thinks she can trust everyone or who has a crush on the guild leader who is actually a deviant with a string of charges to his name. There's a reason a lot of MMOs and social sites have warnings about giving out personal information. Not everyone plays by the rules.
It's been proved, time and time again, that people are more likely to suffer at the hand of people who know them and who they trust than some random internet stranger.

People crying in this thread should realise that instead of creating far fetched scenaris of people coming to rape them in their sleep

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Curufinwe said:
Do you have a link to the research backing that up, or did you just come up with that vile and offensive statement all by yourself?

My guess is that he doesn't know any women.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Kimosabae said:
That statement's not as off-the-wall as it sounds. In sociology classes this was often brought up as a point of discussion regarding various "Self-Fulfilling Prophecy" mechanisms.

It's a relic left over from the outdated and discredited mentality of the victim in sexual crimes having to shoulder some of the blame due to dressing provocatively, or being outside at night or being promiscuous. It removes responsibility from the aggressor.

You are not more likely to get raped because you take self-defense classes any more than you're more likely to get into a car crash by wearing a seat belt.

freddy

Banned
Fularu said:
It's been proved, time and time again, that people are more likely to suffer at the hand of people who know them and who they trust than some random internet stranger.

People crying in this thread should realise that instead of creating far fetched scenaris of people coming to rape them in their sleep
More likely, yes but lets not make it easier for the wolves by putting a hole in the fence just to make a forum easier to manage or make Bobby Kotick more money.

Top Bottom