• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blizzard's Forums Will Now Always Display Your Real Name

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Fularu said:
It's been proved, time and time again, that people are more likely to suffer at the hand of people who know them and who they trust than some random internet stranger.

People crying in this thread should realise that instead of creating far fetched scenaris of people coming to rape them in their sleep

What is it with your side of the argument and rape? Get off of it already. Christ. It's a little weird.

Kimosabae

Banned
WanderingWind said:
It's a relic left over from the outdated and discredited mentality of the victim in sexual crimes having to shoulder some of the blame due to dressing provocatively, or being outside at night or being promiscuous. It removes responsibility from the aggressor.

You are not more likely to get raped because you take self-defense classes any more than you're more likely to get into a car crash by wearing a seat belt.

Check my edit.

Curufinwe

Fularu said:
People crying in this thread should realise that instead of creating far fetched scenaris of people coming to rape them in their sleep

What about the scenario where Real ID leads to even more WoW account hacking and identity fraud?

Fularu

Banned
WanderingWind said:
What is it with your side of the argument and rape? Get off of it already. Christ. It's a little weird.
Because it has been used by "your side". Also the "rape them in their sleep" was tongue in cheek, as in, hurt them.

Curufinwe said:
What about the scenario where Real ID leads to even more WoW account hacking and identity fraud?
Identity fraud won't happen because of this, otherwise you can open any white pages book, check some people on the internet and take their identity.

As for account hacking, the name won't help one bit and well, there's a very convenient and secure tool called an "authenticator", people can use them to, you know, protect their game

WanderingWind

Kimosabae said:
Check my edit.

...you are still blaming the victim. "It's her fault she was savagely raped. She just wasn't confident enough."

Yeah, because rape is just a matter of willpower, right? If you had taken more of those classes, you would have learned that rape is, in most cases, about power. Meaning the type of people who commit rape would be more inclined to attack a powerful, self-confident woman.

WanderingWind

Fularu said:
Because it has been used by "your side". Also the "rape them in their sleep" was tongue in cheek, as in, hurt them.

Okay, well, regardless.

A - "Why would this be okay? I don't want to give out my name just to post on a forum."
B - "God, you rabbit/baby/paranoid/unstable person, you're not going to get raped in your sleep!!!"

I

Fularu

Banned
WanderingWind said:
...you are still blaming the victim. "It's her fault she was savagely raped. She just wasn't confident enough."

Yeah, because rape is just a matter of willpower, right? If you had taken more of those classes, you would have learned that rape is, in most cases, about power. Meaning the type of people who commit rape would be more inclined to attack a powerful, self-confident woman.
Non related rapes account for 11% of the reports in the UK, only for 8% in Australia and (weirdly enough, which leads me to believe that the value is bogus) 26% in the states.

What leads to rape is knowing who you're raping most of the time. Also it's been proved many times that rapists take their targets at random when they don't know them personaly

WanderingWind

Fularu said:
Non related rapes account for 11% of the reports in the UK, only for 8% in Australia and (weirdly enough, which leads me to believe that the value is bogus) 26% in the states.

What leads to rape is knowing who you're raping most of the time. Also it's been proved many times that rapists take their targets at random when they don't know them personaly

None of which is related to what you quoted, but I want you to think real hard about the bolded in the context of this thread.

Fularu

Banned
WanderingWind said:
None of which is related to what you quoted, but I want you to think real hard about the bolded in the context of this thread.
Knowing online isn't considered "knowing and trustworthy person".

Again, people upset about this "breach of privacy" can opt out of it, no one is forcing them to post or even play the game. You know the rules first hand, you either accept them or quit. Simple, really.

Demigod Mac

Blizzard's basically shoveling all their garbage onto someone else's lawn.

Now when someone gets angry at a forum post or action in-game, instead of responding with snide remarks on a level 1 alt, they'll take their trolling offsite.

I have no doubt this will increase the civility on the forums tenfold. However, it's going to severely cripple the level of community interaction on their forums.

I don't see why it's so damned difficult to just let everyone have a single Battle.net alias. Why such emphasis on real names?

Kimosabae

Banned
WanderingWind said:

Is that why rape happens most often in marriage situations and are private affairs? Is that why "Battered Woman Syndrome" is observed? Yeah, in typical rape situations, it is about men exerting authority, but it's not because wives are beaming with self-confidence. Sorry, you're talking out of your ass.

But that's not what's being observed here. The theme is psychopaths assailing strangers or the solitary. That's the rarest and most incidental form of rape.

Your accusations of "blaming the victim" are pure rhetoric. Self-Fulfilling Prophecy is an observed social phenomenon that is proven to exist. When an individual acts in a manner based on certain perceptions, it influences the actions of other actors with their own perceptions. This isn't "blaming the victim" or "blaming the assailant", even. It's observing that it's very possible that a woman, acting out of fear, could very well trigger the actions of a predator who's tuned his senses to look for certain tells. It's observation of a phenomenon.

I have a B.A. in Sociology btw. Thanks for the lecture on how many classes I should have taken.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Again, people upset about this "breach of privacy" can opt out of it, no one is forcing them to post or even play the game. You know the rules first hand, you either accept them or quit. Simple, really.
That's a pretty stupid comment considering the history of WoW has been:

Blizzard makes a class change
People cry about it
Blizzard tweaks it/cuts it/leaves it in to the dismay of money

Their fans are a strong force in influencing which way the game is headed. It's true for pretty much any game developer with a large fanbase. There are forums labeled "Feedback", as well as open betas for this very purpose.

People also have a monetary/time investment in the game that gives them a justification as a voice for the game. So it's completely natural for people to bitch when their game is being changed in some way they dislike.

And from Blizzard's perspective it's stupid to make a change that so many of their users dislike even if they think they have good reasons to do it.

So no, it's not "Simple, really."

I don't see why it's so damned difficult to just let everyone have a single Battle.net alias. Why such emphasis on real names?
Same reason as facebook integration in other games. Online games are going social.

Fularu

Banned
Blizzard pays more attention to what happens on EJ than the crying that happens on the regular forums.

They've stated it many times (Kalgan was also a regular on EJB)

Edit : Also beta is different, in the early stages it isn't a cesspool of trolls, idiots and bitching. It's constructive, feedback is good and the community is awesome

Can't say as much about the regular ones

I wonder where this argument has gone sinc-

5akqj7.jpg

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
So, if I read this right, Ichabod Patrick Freely, will show up everytime I post? Hmm. Best go into the options and change out my first and middle name to just show the initials.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Fularu said:
Edit : Also beta is different, in the early stages it isn't a cesspool of trolls, idiots and bitching. It's constructive, feedback is good and the community is awesome

Can't say as much about the regular ones
That's true, I think that's what Blizzard is trying to accomplish (create a more constructive environment) but it's really not a good way to go about it simply because people on the internet are paranoid whether they have good reasons or no.

seady

Feel like Blizzard is exploiting people's privacy with their own popularity. A pretty dick move if you ask me.

Maybe Activision wants to become the next Facebook.

vesp

I once corpse camped a kid for 5 hours because he /spit on me for no reason. He deleted his level 80 to make a character on my side to yell at me for 4 hours and then went to the official forums and offered a 250 dollar bounty for my RL info. He was probably 14 years old and harmless, but in this internet age, I prefer to take as few chances as possible given how hard it is to get anything off the internet during the few times it does matter. This change is bullshit.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
vesp said:
I once corpse camped a kid for 5 hours because he /spit on me for no reason. He deleted his level 80 to make a character on my side to yell at me for 4 hours and then went to the official forums and offered a 250 dollar bounty for my RL info.
...serious business. You really sat there for 9 hours straight?

seady said:
Feel like Blizzard is exploiting people's privacy with their own popularity. A pretty dick move if you ask me.

Maybe Activision wants to become the next Facebook.
Is it just me or would something like the NEVER have happened before Blizzard's merger with Activision ? Maybe there would be a possibility, but an idea like this just reeks of Activision tbh. Which is sad.

vesp

bishoptl said:
...serious business. You really sat there for 9 hours straight?
the 4 hours is probably a modest exaggeration, but yea it was at least a 6 hour process in total.

it wasnt so serious as it was amusing to me and the friend i was with.

JesseZao

vesp said:
I once corpse camped a kid for 5 hours because he /spit on me for no reason. He deleted his level 80 to make a character on my side to yell at me for 4 hours and then went to the official forums and offered a 250 dollar bounty for my RL info. He was probably 14 years old and harmless, but in this internet age, I prefer to take as few chances as possible given how hard it is to get anything off the internet during the few times it does matter. This change is bullshit.

Wooooooooooooow-TakFuji.mp3

I love you guys.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Blue_Gecko said:
Is it just me or would something like the NEVER have happened before Blizzard's merger with Activision ? Maybe there would be a possibility, but an idea like this just reeks of Activision tbh. Which is sad.
Almost everything thats happened the last year or two seems beneath what i would have Blizzard capable of. Especially this.

i would really like to be a fly on the wall in Blizzards offices to hear what the devs think about this.

Slavik81

Blue_Gecko said:
I don't think many people understand how much WoW changed Blizzard. Supporting WoW required them to grow the company very rapidly.

That kind of growth has big consequences for corporate culture and strategy. You can't maintain your old way of doing things, even if you try to.

Dead Man

water_wendi said:
Every Green that has posted has been in opposition of this afaik. If you are unaware Greens are MVP posters.. posters given special status due to their help to the community. You have greens on the tech forums, the customer service forums, the class forums.. they are basically some of the best posters that are given Mod status without the abilities of a Mod. Anyway.. here is another post from a Green

Please do realize that not wanting a real name attached to what I choose to say on these forums has absolutely nothing to do with whether I troll or not. Every post I have made on this account is done on this character and blatantly obvious and easily searched. It wouldn't BE green if Blizzard felt I had a history of trolling and non-constructive posts. When my second account is active and I post on that, my signature lists the names of all my primary toons on my main realm.

I do have maybe three or four lowbie alts I've used to post on before. One of them I've used to playfully mock RP elitists. One I used to point out some fallacious comments during an extremely high-drama even on our realm, making some people realize they were being lied to and manipulated to "hate" one person, when the person stating the lies was no less vile. Neither of those were things I'd want tied to my usual posting history, but they aren't things I'm ashamed of having posted.

This change will send me away. Not because I troll. Not because I care about people at work knowing I play WoW (I've told them, they've seen me on the forums on my breaks). Not even because I have some dread fear of one of the minority of insane off-their-rocker idiots that are a part of any community.

No, because my full name is mine to decide with whom I share it. And if I post even one thing on the post-Real ID forums, my full name (not just my first name or my first and an initial, but my first middle and last as I use them on legal documents) is revealed to every player who reads the forums whether they log in or not, heck every human on the internet who happens to wind up on the forums whether they've ever played the game or not, and it winds up google and other search engine crawlers that see it as text on a screen.

=================

Now, one thing that really irks me here is the touted argument that this will reduce trolling and bring about a more constructive forum ... what exactly stops John Doe from trolling?

To get a forum ban, he has to be reported and the moderation team has to decide it's enough of a violation to action him. They can do that now. In fact, Blizzard ALREADY knows each troll's full real name, not to mention his contact information. (Well, that assumes he provided his real name to begin with, but if he didn't then Real ID revelation of his name to the masses is meaningless.) Fellow posters and fellow readers of the forum have no new power to do more than say "ZOMG, you're John Doe and you're a troll!"

If the fellow forum goers actually take that irrevocable step of trying to use that person's name to make that person "accountable", they'll have crossed the line into criminal behavior. The troll will be the victim, assuming the attack ends up finding the "right" John Doe and doesn't harm multiple others who have done nothing. All that name will do is let them say "oh, it's John Doe the troll" instead of "oh, it's Sassafrass the troll".

On the plus side, one thing that has been asked for multiple times will be part of this - using the little ignore icon will FINALLY ignore all posts from the account rather than just that one level one trolling alt he made for his latest rampage. Something that could (should?) have been possible a long time ago. Except that "privacy concerns" meant that ignoring someone on the forums shouldn't reveal their main, right?
Just reposting becuase it is very good, especially the bold.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
just to extend a tad on my earlier post, which I typed kind of early in the morning without covering some obvious holes in it, but I wasn't trying to say that if you're trying to protect your privacy then you are, definitely, a total scumbag with a pathetic life or something, or that there aren't benefits to totally anonymous forums like GAF, I was trying to say that a space like Blizzard's official forums is as good a place as any to have an alternative to the traditional GAF-like forum system.

One of the things I love about GAF is that it doesn't matter whether or not you're a man, woman, gay, straight fat, skinny, tall small (etc), if you type something interesting or well-thought out, people WILL listen. I am not against this and I don't think this should disappear any time soon.

At the same time, on an official forum space that might not attract as high or educated a population as GAF (take that as you will, but let's assume for the sake of this argument that GAF is the 'gold-standard' in similarly sized gaming communities on informed, if not always super-intelligent users) and doesn't have as strict a moderation policy (what, they're going to ban 50% of their traffic?), I feel like this is an interesting initiative. Will it work? Do I agree with it? Not necessarily, but I think it's a worthwhile thing to explore in smaller and/or official forum spaces.

As far as protecting your privacy is concerned, I would still argue that giving out your name on the internet is not anymore dangerous than giving it out in any other social situation. Also, maybe more controversially, I still believe that a lot of the outrage surrounding this does have to do with the fact like some people don't want their not-exactly-super-model faces readily available to be mocked on the internet alongside their long balance-related rant.

So no, I don't want this for GAF or many other spaces; no, I don't think your privacy is at threat; yes, I think this will clean up smaller and/or official and/or less moderated forums considerably and make them a much more sensible, if not as welcoming, community. Should this fail, I won't hesitate to say 'well, that sucked' and declare this a failure, but at the same time I do understand the, if not the publicly stated, logic behind Blizzard's actions. It's easy to be cynical, but I'm choosing to be optimistic.

Cipherr

Rez said:
just to extend a tad on my earlier post, which I typed kind of early in the morning without covering some obvious holes in it, but I wasn't trying to say that if you're trying to protect your privacy then you are, definitely, a total scumbag with a pathetic life or something, or that there aren't benefits to totally anonymous forums like GAF, I was trying to say that a space like Blizzard's official forums is as good a place as any to have an alternative to the traditional GAF-like forum system.

One of the things I love about GAF is that it doesn't matter whether or not you're a man, woman, gay, straight fat, skinny, tall small (etc), if you type something interesting or well-thought out, people WILL listen. I am not against this and I don't think this should disappear any time soon.

At the same time, on an official forum space that might not attract as high or educated a population as GAF (take that as you will, but let's assume for the sake of this argument that GAF is the 'gold-standard' in similarly sized gaming communities on informed, if not always super-intelligent users) and doesn't have as strict a moderation policy (what, they're going to ban 50% of their traffic?), I feel like this is an interesting initiative. Will it work? Do I agree with it? Not necessarily, but I think it's a worthwhile thing to explore in smaller and/or official forum spaces.

As far as protecting your privacy is concerned, I would still argue that giving out your name on the internet is not anymore dangerous than giving it out in any other social situation. Also, maybe more controversially, I still believe that a lot of the outrage surrounding this does have to do with the fact like some people don't want their not-exactly-super-model faces readily available to be mocked on the internet alongside their long balance-related rant.

So no, I don't want this for GAF or many other spaces; no, I don't think your privacy is at threat; yes, I think this will clean up smaller and/or official and/or less moderated forums considerably and make them a much more sensible, if not as welcoming, community. Should this fail, I won't hesitate to say 'well, that sucked' and declare this a failure, but at the same time I do understand the, if not the publicly stated, logic behind Blizzard's actions. It's easy to be cynical, but I'm choosing to be optimistic.

Its nice that you chose to put it all so eloquently. But its pointless, we all now know since digging up the facebook press releases from a few months back that this was never about the trolling. Lord help those of you who couldnt see through that from the start, but it was never about trolling and all about them moving towards their already announced battle.net integration with facebook.com thats on the horizon.

Not about the trolls. There are many more ways to deal with that, they dont, and never HAVE cared about that.

This'll stop 99% of the forum trolling & asshattery that plagues the forums. Since I rarely post there, I'll not be affected one iota. I'm in support of this completely.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
DiatribeEQ said:
This'll stop 99% of the forum trolling & asshattery that plagues the forums. Since I rarely post there, I'll not be affected one iota. I'm in support of this completely.
How is it going to stop the trolls?

WanderingWind said:
I love me some internet tough guys. :lol

That's not what I meant. You would kick my ass and make me eat my own foot IRL. I don't doubt that.

I was refering to the pointlessness of this. We're not really disagreeing with each other, it's just that we think different things will happen. It's crystal ball guessing, and I had my share of hours dsicussing this so, I just call it right there.

But seriously, chill mate. You are more hostile than a lion with a blod clot right now. Stay Alpha bra, but do it without the spark for nerd raging.

DiatribeEQ said:

I'm completely in support of you going bankrupt since I won't be affected whatsoever.

SmokyDave

Gotta be honest, I'd quite like more forums to require real life info. I think anonymity on the internet should always be protected in some form (ie; the right to write a blog in anonymity, leak information, that kinda thing) but I'd like a discussion forum where members had to provide their real details.

Vigilant Walrus & WanderingWind, you two should hug this out. I'll help if you like, in a kinda hug sandwich.

SmokyDave said:
Gotta be honest, I'd quite like more forums to require real life info. I think anonymity on the internet should always be protected in some form (ie; the right to write a blog in anonymity, leak information, that kinda thing) but I'd like a discussion forum where members had to provide their real details.

Vigilant Walrus & WanderingWind, you two should hug this out. I'll help if you like, in a kinda hug sandwich.

I'm all for this, but have you ever tried hugging a raging gamer? He will beat you death his keyboard before you make internet truce>:/

freddy

Banned
Vigilant Walrus said:
I'm all for this, but have you ever tried hugging a raging gamer? He will beat you death his keyboard before you make internet truce>:/
So while you're telling him to calm down, at the same time you're jabbing at him with pointless slurs. If you're going to step down just be a man and do it quietly. Thanks.

SmokyDave

Billen said:
Of course, most parents would love for their childrens real names being posted in the internets.
Are these parents incapable of controlling their childrens internet access?

If so, fuck 'em. They've much better things to be worrying about.

freddy said:
So while you're telling him to calm down, at the same time you're jabbing at him with pointless slurs. If you're going to step down just be a man and do it quietly. Thanks.
Not only that, I'm withdrawing my hug :(

WanderingWind

Vigilant Walrus said:
That's not what I meant. You would kick my ass and make me eat my own foot IRL. I don't doubt that.

I was refering to the pointlessness of this. We're not really disagreeing with each other, it's just that we think different things will happen. It's crystal ball guessing, and I had my share of hours dsicussing this so, I just call it right there.

But seriously, chill mate. You are more hostile than a lion with a blod clot right now. Stay Alpha bra, but do it without the spark for nerd raging.

No offense, but your first response to a post of mine was you calling me "apeshit insane" you then proceeded to call me "unstable" and even now continue to throw out insults. All I asked was for you to tone it down and have a civil discussion. That's pretty much the opposite of rage. You're simply injecting things that aren't there, man.

If you think I'm just so full of rage over this, then think about this. I don't even play WoW. This has been a way for me to kill some time while I've been posted up all night in a 3 x 5 room.

SmokyDave said:

You telling me I got all greased up for nothing? C'mon, man.

Safe Bet

Banned
Vigilant Walrus said:
..have you ever tried hugging a raging gamer?
Nerd Bronco: While "on top" during sexual intercourse, telling a gamer "I agree with Ebert. Videogames are devoid of any cultural value."

Billen

Banned
SmokyDave said:
Are these parents incapable of controlling their childrens internet access?

If so, fuck 'em. They've much better things to be worrying about.

That is just a moronic comment from someone unable to even pretend he knows something about parenting. But sure, all parents should block their children from even visiting the official wow forums. :D

WanderingWind said:
No offense, but your first response to a post of mine was you calling me "apeshit insane" you then proceeded to call me "unstable" and even now continue to throw out insults. All I asked was for you to tone it down and have a civil discussion. That's pretty much the opposite of rage. You're simply injecting things that aren't there, man.

If you think I'm just so full of rage over this, then think about this. I don't even play WoW. This has been a way for me to kill some time while I've been posted up all night in a 3 x 5 room.

As I said before, I shouldn't have callled you insane, but as far as calling you unstable, I am refering to you being VERY aggressive in your tone. Almost threatening, as well as show a lack of understanding for anyone, hench why I am not even going to correct on your stance about rape, and the other areas of discussion.

It's my census that you will not listen to rationality, and that you are being difficult just for the sake of it, and because you bring overly much unstable emotion to the table. It's not a projection, but a reflection of you.
Furthermore, claiming that someone is angry, is not a insult, but a way to take this way to personally and make it a bigger problem than it is.

Top Bottom