• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne gameplay : The first 18 minutes

Well that looks pretty awesome, there is so much atmosphere in it, hopefully it will click with me, I loved Demon Souls but not Dark Souls so much for some reason.

Orayn

ECXEJLf.gif

Mm yes that's the good clipping Souls I know. Smough and onion body, come to me.

To be fair, most games will have some level of clipping if you put the character in an uncommon posture posture like that. The majority of effort in adjusting animations/models to avoid clipping goes into common scenarios.

Gbraga

There's nothing great about thinking you can handle an area, and legitimately not being able to do so due to subtle, near-impossible-to-defer progress gating. That too strongly promotes people seeking outside help/information.

I vastly, vastly, prefer DkS2 "skill-based" gating mechanics. If you kill Dragon Rider as your first boss, then there are 4 different routes to progress through the game mechanics. There's a clear gradient in difficult, but if you know what you're doing, you could easily do them in any order you choose.

I like that they reward skill in future playthroughs. Dark Souls is probably the game with greatest replay value I've ever played.

Haven't played DkS2, but my understanding is that the world is designed sort of like a wheel, with more or less linear "spokes" leading out in different directions from the central hub, in contrast to the wonderfully confusing and rewarding "mess" that is DkS's world. Correct? And this seems to be more like DkS2, except that the hub isn't actually part of the larger world? Again, disappointing. Won't stop me from getting the game I guess, but I don't know why they wouldn't sick with what worked so well in DkS (and which everyone seems to have liked better).

Again. The big difference between this and Dark Souls 2 is that in the latter the levels are very linear and few loop back on themselves in any meaningful manner. Bloodborne doesnt seem to have this problem.

Yes it may have the same philosophy in design as DS2 but the execution(so far) seems much better and more thought out. Already in that 20 minute vid I saw 4-5 different ways you could go that werent available in the Alpha, which I already thought had pretty good level design, something DS2 missed.

Haven't played DkS2, but my understanding is that the world is designed sort of like a wheel, with more or less linear "spokes" leading out in different directions from the central hub, in contrast to the wonderfully confusing and rewarding "mess" that is DkS's world. Correct? And this seems to be more like DkS2, except that the hub isn't actually part of the larger world? Again, disappointing. Won't stop me from getting the game I guess, but I don't know why they wouldn't sick with what worked so well in DkS (and which everyone seems to have liked better).

There's nothing to indicate that Bloodborne's level design is like Dark Souls 2's. If anything, it looks much more like Dark Souls 1 in that it twists in on itself and there are multiple shortcuts around the same area.

cheesekao

No. Like I said, if we base things off the alpha, it's dark souls 1 + having the lord vessel at the beginning + firelink shrine being somewhere up in the sky.

There's nothing great about thinking you can handle an area, and legitimately not being able to do so due to subtle, near-impossible-to-defer progress gating. That too strongly promotes people to seek outside help/information.

I vastly, vastly, prefer DkS2 "skill-based" gating mechanics. If you kill Dragon Rider as your first boss, then there are 4 different routes to progress through the game mechanics. There's a clear gradient in difficult, but if you know what you're doing, you could easily do them in any order you choose.

Why would anyone think they could handle the Catacombs or New Londo at the beginning of Dark Souls? I just don't get this complaint. Anyone capable of critical thought will get wrecked by the skeletons or the ghosts and easily dispatch the hollows and be like hmmm I guess I'm supposed to be killing these hollows.

th4tguy

Not gonna watch, but can someone tell me how the framerate is looking ?

The frame rate seems better than the previous videos but there is some horrible judder going on. It's obvious there is still work to be done on performance.

Orayn

Again. The big difference between this and Dark Souls 2 is that in the latter the levels are very linear and few loop back on themselves in any meaningful manner. Bloodborne doesnt seem to have this problem.

Yes it may have the same philosophy in design as DS2 but the execution(so far) seems much better and more thought out. Already in that 20 minute vid I saw 4-5 different ways you could go that werent available in the Alpha, which I already thought had pretty good level design, something DS2 missed.

Dark Souls 2 was a bit of a letdown in how disconnected the earlier levels were from each other. Dark Souls 1 had this wonderful "tangle" of areas that all linked up to each other in the middle/beginning of the game, with only the later areas being isolated. Hopefully Bloodborne brings that back.

Imru’ al-Qays;150277223 said:
Why would anyone think they could handle the Catacombs or New Londo at the beginning of Dark Souls? I just don't get this complaint. Anyone capable of critical thought will get wrecked by the skeletons or the ghosts and easily dispatch the hollows and be like hmmm I guess I'm supposed to be killing these hollows.

Well, if you know what you're doing you can duck into New Londo
for a Firekeeper Soul, or a shortcut through Valley of Drakes to Darkroot Basin or Blighttown.

But yeah, those are things beginnings probably wouldn't discover on their own.

tcrunch

10 minutes in...does the person playing ever use the gun?

They use it at one point to execute a gunparry and also to annoy the rifleman (who they then run away from because the rifleman is scary).

Unrelated - kill what killed you to get your soul back:
hTHvkyH.gif

Majanew

Banned
Only watched the first 4 mins so I don't spoil too much for when I play it. While it looks better than the Souls games, it's still kinda ugly. A lot of jaggies everywhere and the fire and hair looks really bad.

Ferr986

Dark2 is like... a tree root. Theres a starting point and quicklly it starts to branch in multiple directions, but they dont go back to the strating point.

They use it at one point to execute a gunparry and also to annoy the rifleman (who they then run away from because the rifleman is scary).

Unrelated - kill what killed you to get your soul back:
hTHvkyH.gif

Just a heads up for the riflemen, you can hear the click of the trigger before the bullet comes close to you if you're at range. So just keep an ear out. The bullet goes in a straight line, it's not like the homing arrows from Dark Souls.

Forced death to get starter weapons?

If it's anything like Demon's Souls, you can kill the first boss for bonus rewards, but then die anyway.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

There's nothing to indicate that Bloodborne's level design is like Dark Souls 2's. If anything, it looks much more like Dark Souls 1 in that it twists in on itself and there are multiple shortcuts around the same area.

No. Like I said, if we base things off the alpha, it's dark souls 1 + having the lord vessel at the beginning + firelink shrine being somewhere up in the sky.

Ok then, sounds good! Still not sure about being able to warp all over the place right from the get go, but my fears have mostly been alleviated.

The Goat

Looks like a Souls game! The game is always on the cusp of looking really good, graphically, but it's so noisy. Coupled with the fact that their normal mapping is so intense, it makes things light oddly.

Raitaro

I realise that I am and will be in the minority here, but the more I see of this game, the more I'm conflicted about it.

One the one hand it does in most ways look like a Souls game, with stronger ties to Demon's and Dark Souls 1 going by the sounds and animations, and that by itself should be enough to get pumped for it.

On the other hand, I'm not getting pumped yet because this game has made me realise something: for me, the past Souls games were so enjoyable because of how the semi-realistic medieval dark fantasy setting framed the tactical combat and exploration. This new Victorian Elizabethan setting for some reason isn't as appealing to me (yet), at least not in a Souls-type game where one needs to feel as if the world is harbouring secrets and lore everywhere.

I am also not sure what to make of the weapons showns so far. I tend to like simple, realistic looking weapons like swords and daggers (not counting the larger, over-the-top looking ones in the Souls games, which I never really used either) and don't really know if I like the focus here shifting to mechanical, crude looking ones. Having the guns as defensive weapons that do little damage also don't make much sense I feel, and I had preferred the return of shields or some kind of more logical long distance, lower damage weapon like a whip or crossbow to stun enemies (speaking of the enemies: is it just me or are others also feeling mixed about the basic enemies now being mostly human looking and sounding hunters instead of lumbering zombies? It feels a bit weird going around and killing them, though I suppose that will be explained in the story to some degree).

Both the environments, character outfits and weapons now have a - for lack of a better term - over-designed look to them, almost as if Miyazaki and his team this time are consciously trying to give us cool looking stuff (to kills things with) instead of just doing their thing creating more or less subtle designs that end up being cool and impressive.

Sigh, quite a conundrum for me, this game. I do feel it is important for the team to try and go beyond the Souls (and King's Field) games, but maybe they've lost some key parts of that unique atmosphere and experience along the way at this point by going to a more modern setting with more mechanical designs? I'll remain hopeful that everything will click for me eventually when I actually get to play it though.

Edit: After some more thought and after reading the rest of this thread, I must say I am warming up to the game's tone, setting and combat a bit more. Maybe I just have to try and embrace the changes while trusting Miyazaki to not completely abandon the core experiences that made the Souls games click with me. Also, the benefit of this new setting apart from allowing everything to feel fresh, is that we now have a game with more direct aesthetic links to the classic Castlevania games, which in my opinion is fitting since the gamepay and pace of those games already seemed to be a big inspiration for Miyazaki's works.

ElTopo

Banned
They got the frame rate steady. It's looking good but I'm still going to wait for a price reduction of the console or hopefully, maybe, a million to one chance, there's a PC port.

Neoweee

Imru’ al-Qays;150277223 said:

Because DkS1 is clearly, unambiguously different in that regard from both Demon's Souls and Dark Souls 2? You can do Tower of Latria or the the fourth zone first if you want. You can do Heide's first if you want. Dark Souls 1 stands out as having the most gating that is not skill-based, unlike the rest of the "series".

It is really goddamn condescending and arrogant to say "anyone capable of critical thought", especially in a case where it defies the logic and flow of other games in the same series.

tcrunch

They got the frame rate steady. It's looking good but I'm still going to wait for a price reduction of the console or hopefully, maybe, a million to one chance, there's a PC port.

It has the same chance of being PC ported as Demon's Souls.

Find it incredibly weird that there are no npcs at the starting hub doing repairs etc, my guess would be that this is either not the final game or this isnt the hub the whole game

lol

The only way to play this is to get a PS4

On topic of the game. The music hnngggggggg

Find it incredibly weird that there are no npcs at the starting hub doing repairs etc, my guess would be that this is either not the final game or this isnt the hub the whole game

It'll be like every other Souls game where the hub gets populated by finding NPCs in the world, I'm sure. The Nexus was populated because they dedicated NPCs to inventory management due to item weights. Firelink Shrine only had the Crestfallen Warrior in the beginning, and DKS2 only had the Herald, the one vendor in the big house, and the Crestfallen Warrior. The rest showed up after finding them.

Grady

For those still making comments on the look of the game, this footage is from an older unpolished build. Ign states it right in the page.

I'm not going to watch the video, on a media blackout until I receive the game in the mail.

One question: does the video show the character creation? That I wouldn't mind seeing.

Panda Rin

I'm not going to watch the video, on a media blackout until I receive the game in the mail.

One question: does the video show the character creation? That I wouldn't mind seeing.

Nope. There was a tweet stating it was skipped so they could share more info on it later in the month.

Top Bottom