• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne gameplay : The first 18 minutes

tcrunch

ggWZAsy.gif
3Yzuwax.gif

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
The UI is so slick

SO SLICK

PolishQ

When you say "Nexus", do you actually mean a self-contained hub with portals (or similar) to various levels like in DeS, or just a hub-ish central area that is connected to the rest of the world, much like Firelink Shrine? The former would be terribly disappointing IMO. One of the best things about DkS is how everything is seamlessly connected (well, except for Anor Londo), it gives the world a strong sense of place that I think DeS lacks with its separate levels.

It's more Nexus than Majula. The hub area is not connected to the rest of the world, as far as we can tell. However, "bonfire" placement seems to be more careful this time (there is only one in the 20 minutes of footage), and the world seems to be highly interconnected with multiple branching pathways often available.

McBryBry

How the hell do you know where to go? That's the one thing that puts me off about it, and Dark Souls. What's the point?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
How the hell do you know where to go? That's the one thing that puts me off about it, and Dark Souls. What's the point?
W... what? The games are linear.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Looks amazing, but I'm disappointed in the lack of AA and (from what I can see) how the world is traversed. I loved how you got around the world in Dark Souls, hated how you got around the world in Demons Souls.

This sounds bad. :-( Have they really gone back to separate zones rather than a connected world? Hype massively diminished.

EDIT: Further confirmation...

It's more Nexus than Majula. The hub area is not connected to the rest of the world, as far as we can tell. However, "bonfire" placement seems to be more careful this time (there is only one in the 20 minutes of footage), and the world seems to be highly interconnected with multiple branching pathways often available.

But does it seem like the rest of the world is connected, with just this "Nexus" being a separate thing, or are there different "levels" like in DeS? Can you tell from the video. If it really is like in DeS I really don't know what they're thinking. Why would they go back to something so much less engaging after the magic they achieved in DkS? Gradually discovering the interconnectedness of that world was simply brilliant. DeS had some of that within the levels, sure, but it's just not the same.

About the world Design. The game is clearly interconnected evidenced by the amount of shortcuts. And most importantly the 1 that leads from the first lamplight you find in Central Yharnam to the Cleric Beast.

I feel like it will be much like Demon's where you can warp to any lamp you lighted but the level will be large and have only the 1 checkpoint at the start.

Putty

AA and occasional frame drops aside, looks bloody great! Terrific art, very dense detail, just oozing atmosphere from every crevice. Gone from a 50/50 to 80/20....I like these odds.

cheesekao

This sounds bad. :-( Have they really gone back to separate zones rather than a connected world? Hype massively diminished.
From what I can tell, the dream refuge is a place that exists outside of the overworld. You can fast travel to activated bonfires and that's it.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
That was a great preview. Other than showing off the new area (which I guess is this games Majula), there wasn't that much spoilery stuff. Minute six and on is basically just gameplay.

raven777

my only concern with the visual is the lack of AA. It wasn't as noticeable in the demo because it was dark, but in this video it's brighter so it's easier to notice it I think.

But the art style is fantastic and Dream Refuge looks gorgeous.

ironcreed

Banned

Play the game until you find the right path you should take first. Eventually, it all interlinks and you know where to go. If all else fails, get help online.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Clicked the link, then thought better of it and I closed the window immediately. I intend to enjoy this experience the way Jesus intended - naked, virginal and afraid. On the couch.

Yoshichan

Clicked the link, then thought better of it and I closed the window immediately. I intend to enjoy this experience the way Jesus intended - naked, virginal and afraid. On the couch.
Naked next to a naked me. You forgot that one important detail!

hitsugi

I downloaded the video, then thought about it.. probably won't watch it. The game is a month away and I've managed to avoid spoiling much of it thus far.. which is more than I can say for myself with Dark Souls because I opened a stream with someone playing it just days before it showed up in my mail.

You didn't have to go back to Firelink Shrine to level up.

Yeah, it's definitely Dark Souls II. Which isn't exactly bad, but not what I was hoping for.

It's better than hub + archstones, at least (imo).

It's better than DS2. This isn't a corridor game. I was legit lost when he was running around at times, and I played that alpha every day for the full amount of time, including the unfinished area.

ironcreed

Banned
Thank you both, for a real response. I forgot some people can get very touchy with their Souls games.

Yeah, man. You just need to have a bit more patience is all. Chances are it would all click if you gave it a fair shake. That said, these games are time sinks.

SnakeH

Neo Member
So...
it really seems like a Demon's Souls sequel/prequel.

The old man in the first minute
has covered eyes like the maiden in black

So hyped for the story.

Umbasa.

Gbraga

It's better than DS2. This isn't a corridor game. I was legit lost when he was running around at times, and I played that alpha every day for the full amount of time, including the unfinished area.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not judging the game's quality (I didn't even watch the video, haha), just commenting on the structure it follows, which seems to be the same as Dark Souls II, going by the comments.

I was kinda scared they'd go back to hub + levels after all that Demon's Souls talk when promoting the game.

Top Bottom