• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne gameplay : The first 18 minutes

Atone13

Man this is looking so good. I'm really diggin the art style, that city scape looks amazing. I'm thinking dark room, headphones on... good times to come.

Draft

I was curious how FROM was going to explain coming back to life or warping around the map. In Souls it made sense (lol) because that's a game full oaf magic goofiness. Bloodborne seemed a bit more grounded? At least, low fantasy vyersus high fantasy. Virus infected monsters instead of soul sucking demons. Would FROM cook up some system that allowed resurrection and teleportation that fit within a low fantasy setting? Nope, turns out it's still a world of magic.

This is very Demon's and Dark Souls. Anyone holding off on this footage can relax. The only thing it spoils is that Bloodborne is another Souls game. It even kills the protagonist in the first 5 minutes.

Bedlam

EntireRevolvingAmericanratsnake.gif

O_O

Can't wait to experience that place by myself.

Mmmmm can't wait til March. That looked great. The sounds and screams were unnerving. Pacing of the dialogue was a little weird, like there were a lot of pauses in between words. Dunno if that's intentional or if they're going to edit it before release.

Got a little bit lost with where the player was going. Seems like every alley was connected and had multiple entrances and exits, so lost my bearing following.

One thing I noticed at the very end when he died to Cleric Beast... his souls/blood/whatever currency decreased, but didn't go to 0. Maybe you only lose a % now?

Didnt play the beta but the Cleric beast looks tougher than both Dark Souls first bosses.

Seems like this game aint going to be easier :D

I beat a glitched out Cleric Beast at PAX that was totally invisible. He's not that hard. His sound cues are fantastic. Think Taurus Demon, basically.

Gbraga

Looks amazing, but I'm disappointed in the lack of AA and (from what I can see) how the world is traversed. I loved how you got around the world in Dark Souls, hated how you got around the world in Demons Souls.

Not watching, but it isn't interconnected like Dark Souls? Pre-order cancelled.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
It's like Demon's Souls set in a dark and hellish version of 1800's London. Pretty brilliant.

Just don't create that image and have it set in the future. Van Helsing comes and goes, but my problem is that I like identifying with this cast other than a hunter who fights for his township.

Mmmmm can't wait til March. That looked great. The sounds and screams were unnerving. Pacing of the dialogue was a little weird, like there were a lot of pauses in between words. Dunno if that's intentional or if they're going to edit it before release.

Got a little bit lost with where the player was going. Seems like every alley was connected and had multiple entrances and exits, so lost my bearing following.

I love this.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
One thing I noticed at the very end when he died to Cleric Beast... his souls/blood/whatever currency decreased, but didn't go to 0. Maybe you only lose a % now?

It was decreasing rapidly so it was heading to 0 (just not instantaneously)

That Cleric Beast's scream is terrifying. I like what I saw. The game looks faster than both Demons and Dark. Makes me wonder if we can allocate stats like in previous games.

kpaadet

This is true, but this isn't a souls game, (yes extremely similar), it's a game built for PS4 with better looking graphics in an earlier build, says it's an early build but at least this tempers our expectations for the final product. Personally I think it looks great and am perfectly fine if this is the sacrifice they have to make to make the game not run like previous souls games.
I was in the alpha and think I've seen pretty much all video content Sony have put out, and this is the best looking Bloodborne have ever looked to me. With that said I hope they have time to add AA before release.

It is interconnected, but there's a "hub" that you teleport to at this game's version of bonfires. I assume that's where you level up, etc. You can then teleport back to seemingly any of the bonfires you've visited.

That Cleric Beast's scream is terrifying. I like what I saw. The game looks faster than both Demons and Dark. Makes me wonder if we can allocate stats like in previous games.

They mentioned the character creation and attributes/class building is almost identical to previous Souls games.

Ferr986

I beat a glitched out Cleric Beast at PAX that was totally invisible. He's not that hard. His sound cues are fantastic. Think Taurus Demon, basically.

yeah maybe, minus the tower for the plunge attack spam lol. Would have liked to play the beta. And yeah the screams are amazing, much more menacing than a deep roar.

If the alpha is anything to go by, it is interconnected.

Well dude keep teleporting between different areas of the city. Maybe early teleport like Dark 2 or hub based like Demons.

AdanVC

Hnnnnghhh looks totally awesome! So tempting to buy a PS4 just for this game... so broke right now though :c

Character animation looks a bit funky don't you guys think? Especially with some enemies when they note your presence and turn around very awakwardly, they just rotate idk haha. But omfg this game is gonna be ace!

Surely it wouldn't be possible. He had a fair few swings at that thing and hardly dinted its health

Try killing the Asylum Demon with nothing but the Broken Shortsword and Wooden Shield in DS1. You get a weapon for killing him the first time you encounter him. Although, if you chose Black Firebombs as your starting gift, he dies in 3 or 4 bombs.

cheesekao

Pre-order uncancelled.

So it's Dark Souls II.

Pre-order semi-cancelled.
yeah maybe, minus the tower for the plunge attack spam lol. Would have liked to play the beta. And yeah the screams are amazing, much more menacing than a deep roar.

Well dude keep teleporting between different areas of the city. Maybe early teleport like Dark 2 or hub based like Demons.
I'd say it's like dark souls 1 but the difference is that you have the lord vessel at the beginning.

-griffy-

Banned
It looks like there might be some form of AA in there, but the coverage is just totally inconsistent. Outside edges of many objects look decent, like the character silhouette for example, but there is such a substantial amount of micro detail in the environment and things like thin fences all over the place, the sub pixel aliasing is present everywhere and creating shimmering everywhere. It's hard to say though due to the compression of the footage.

Game looks great overall though. Those environments are just freaking dense with detail.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Don't think I'll watch this. Want the opening of the game to be fresh for me when I get it.

I'm gonna ask about this though:

Looks very very good, hype leven over 9000 !

Really like that they brought the "Nexus" back !

When you say "Nexus", do you actually mean a self-contained hub with portals (or similar) to various levels like in DeS, or just a hub-ish central area that is connected to the rest of the world, much like Firelink Shrine? The former would be terribly disappointing IMO. One of the best things about DkS is how everything is seamlessly connected (well, except for Anor Londo), it gives the world a strong sense of place that I think DeS lacks with its separate levels.

ironcreed

Banned
Character animation looks a bit funky don't you guys think? Especially with some enemies when they note your presence and turn around very awakwardly, they just rotate idk haha. But omfg this game is gonna be ace!

It looks like a Souls game to me. No complaints here.

He opens up one or two shortcuts in the video. Also, I can tell you from the Alpha that this game is interconnected. The second boss (the one we now see in the trailers that transforms) opens up a pathway upon death leading up a big stone spiral staircase. Unfortunately, the floor wasn't coded in so you'd just fall through, but you can tell that it opens itself up to another part of the world. This game will hopefully be the mix between Demon's and Dark Souls, with The Nexus being a hub and the world still being completely connected.

cheesekao

Don't think I'll watch this. Want the opening of the game to be fresh for me when I get it.

When you say "Nexus", do you actually mean a self-contained hub with portals (or similar) to various levels like in DeS, or just a hub-ish central area that is connected to the rest of the world, much like Firelink Shrine? The former would be terribly disappointing IMO. One of the best things about DkS is how everything is seamlessly connected (well, except for Anor Londo), it gives the world a strong sense of place that I think DeS lacks with its separate levels.
It's basically an imaginary rest area where you do stuff like upgrading and buy stuff and from there, you can warp to bloodborne's equivalent of 'bonfires'.

Ferr986

I'd say it's like dark souls 1 but the difference is that you have the lord vessel at the beginning.

So like Dark 2, minus Majula being connected to the overall world. The refugee seems to be apart from the other areas, but its early to tell of course.

Brohan

Seems to be like Majula.

Gbraga

You didn't have to go back to Firelink Shrine to level up.

He opens up one or two shortcuts in the video. Also, I can tell you from the Alpha that this game is interconnected. The second boss (the one we now see in the trailers that transforms) opens up a pathway upon death leading up a big stone spiral staircase. Unfortunately, the floor wasn't coded in so you'd just fall through, but you can tell that it opens itself up to another part of the world. This game will hopefully be the mix between Demon's and Dark Souls, with The Nexus being a hub and the world still being completely connected.

Yeah, it's definitely Dark Souls II. Which isn't exactly bad, but not what I was hoping for.

It's better than hub + archstones, at least (imo).

Top Bottom