• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT+5| Grant Us Eyes!

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Beat O
rphan of Kos
second try on this new character. That's kind of weird for me. Weirder part was that I did way better on his second form than the first, and only landed one stagger...

françois

About the firepaper.

I remember getting a bunch of them in the first chalice dungeon I did. Sadly you need a chalice, which drops from BSB..., to access it. (I think)

Yeah Blood Starved Beast is actually pretty easy up until the poison form. I've got Father Gascoines armor cuz it has poison resist, and still he gets me with that poison. I've summoned Aflred to help tank BSB, poor guy dies. Is there any shame in summoning another player?

ngower

Monster Hunter has a higher learning curve and is arguably far more difficult (the later, g-rank hunts anyway) than Bloodborne. You'll be fine.
Im a total Souls noob and I'm having a lot of fun. You will die a lot but you will get better the more you play it. You can also summon up to two players to help if you are having issues with bosses. Getting good for me meant reading enemies movements and patterns and know your limit of my abilities. Plus the game is a RPG so you leveling up yourself or your weapons can also really help
Bloodborne was my first From game.

Not gonna mince words here, there are definitely hard and challenging bosses that make you want to bang your head on a desk and may require you multiple attempts to beat. There may definitely be moments where you get jumped and taken down by random mob enemies and then be forced all the way back to a certain point on the map. You might run low on in game currency or completely lose them and not be able to buy the items you want.

At the same time, if you have the patience to understand how enemies and bosses attack, pay attention to environmental cues and fully explore to make your traversal through areas easier, I'm sure that you will learn to like the game. The game as I see it is all about repetition, memorization, and learning from your mistakes (don't take the word repetition as a bad thing). Finally beating an area and a boss feels really rewarding.

Also remember that you can co-op in the game and that everyone here in the community thread can give you advice if needed.

Went ahead and bought it last night. So far my favorite part of the game is downloading the patch.

[EDIT] So as not to make this a garbage post, can anyone point me to some tips/pointers/beginner's guides that might help me not throw my PS4 out the window in frustration when I do get time to play tonight/tomorrow?

[EDIT] So as not to make this a garbage post, can anyone point me to some tips/pointers/beginner's guides that might help me not throw my PS4 out the window in frustration when I do get time to play tonight/tomorrow?
The basics of Soulsborne is really don't rush in to a situation.

Regular enemies can kill you in 3 or 4 hits so having more than a couple on you at once can mean instant death. Pull enemies from crowds and deal with them separately or learn your weapons 'crowd control' moves - The Saw Cleaver for example has a great transform move that staggers back enemies with a wide arc slash giving you room to breath.

Be aware of your surroundings. Look around for environmental clues, listen, walk slowly in to a new area - enemies can hear as well as see and you can get the advantage on an enemy with their back to you by creeping up on them.

Don't worry about dying and losing your blood echoes (currency), early on you're going to die and probably going to lose a few thousand blood echoes - it's nothing, soon enough enemies will be dropping the kind of amounts you might have lost early on. So don't sweat dying and/or losing blood echoes.

Deku Tree

Went ahead and bought it last night. So far my favorite part of the game is downloading the patch.

http://bloodborne.wiki.fextralife.com/New+Player+Help

https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/805577-bloodborne/71473326

https://www.reddit.com/r/bloodborne/comments/4hlz4m/bloodborne_beginners_guide_to_stats/

My favorite site for BB info
http://bloodborne.wiki.fextralife.com/Bloodborne+Wiki

françois

Yeah Blood Starved Beast is actually pretty easy up until the poison form. I've got Father Gascoines armor cuz it has poison resist, and still he gets me with that poison. I've summoned Aflred to help tank BSB, poor guy dies. Is there any shame in summoning another player?

Ofcourse not, AFAIK there are no downsides to summoning, besides losing 1 insight.

Only real downside to it is that it might take a while to summon someone, since most people have moved on to other games.

Deku Tree

françois;205933057 said:
Ofcourse not, AFAIK there are no downsides to summoning, besides losing 1 insight.

Only real downside to it is that it might take a while to summon someone, since most people have moved on to other games.

Actually I just played through the entire game with a new character and summoning (and being summoned) was often pretty quick with little to no wait when I did it.

On my BL240 NG++ character it is usually very rare that I am able to summon though.

gwailo

Banned
françois;205933057 said:

I summoned someone to help with BSB a couple of days ago and they appeared right away and the fight was ridiculously easy. I basically threw down blood cocktails and the guy was doing charge attacks. Of course, then I ended up getting slaughtered by the boss in the first chalice dungeon :b

About the firepaper.

I remember getting a bunch of them in the first chalice dungeon I did. Sadly you need a chalice, which drops from BSB..., to access it. (I think)

I think the blood cocktails are the more important item to have. They do really help in distracting it and giving you a couple of moments to heal yourself and get some hits in, especially with the third form.

Deku Tree

The BSB in the D4 chalice is fucking brutal

Ailing Loran. Yeah it is. That grab move can OHK or take you to a sliver of health and its hit box is huge.

You can parry it until it's has a third of its health left and does a transformation animation. Then you can throw pungent blood cocktails at the wall. The cocktails are about 10K each at that point in the game though. Takes like three of them to get him down.

Ailing Loran. Yeah it is. That grab move can OHK or take you to a sliver of health and its hit box is huge.

You can parry it until it's has a third of its health left and does a transformation animation. Then you can throw pungent blood cocktails at the wall. The cocktails are about 10K each at that point in the game though. Takes like three of them to get him down.

I tried that, all he did was run around the cocktail rather than stay still made comboing impossible

gonna use the beckoning bell for the first time

Deku Tree

Ok I beat every boss in the main game on NG+2 except ebritas and Logarius. After I go through the DLC then I Might leave this character alone just for helping people.

Dont try to parry Ailing BSB, keep poking him with fire paper , consecutive damage on his head can stagger him for a free Vis, still not recomended.

if someone joins my game and they die, do they respawn or leave?

They die and send to their world, if you keep the bell they can be auto summoned again if they are close to that area or use the silencer gun and use the bell again

well my first helper, help me beat the blood starved beast but let himself die to poison for some reason

the second joined me for the entirety of floor 3 and we beat that pretty heavy hitting boss too

Jrmint

So I was dreading fighting Rom when I started my NG+ playthrough. I go in and 1-shot him just now! Felt so good, I'm pumped.

-Horizon-

I don't want to link to any specific guide because possibly random spoilers may pop up.

Anyway: Patience is key! Know how many moves you can do before you run out of stamina and can't even dodge anymore.
Be aware of your surroundings: you will get jumped by some random mob that rounded a corner while you were wailing away on one enemy.
Explore!

And if you have a part you need help with, come ask us!

Blood Starved Beast is really annoying me now.

Edit: so I ended up summoning another player, and together we beat the BSB. Kinda feel like I cheated.

After I was told to ascend to the workshop. I did. Door locked. Am I missing something?

Blood Starved Beast is really annoying me now.

Edit: so I ended up summoning another player, and together we beat the BSB. Kinda feel like I cheated.

After I was told to ascend to the workshop. I did. Door locked. Am I missing something?

There is a
two
secret area there,
behind the first floor

been 40 minutes and no one joined, I was at least expecting someone via random search, is this time a poor time to play?

even with help that watchdog destroys me and my helpers

beat it, was not easy

btw if someone joins my dungeon can they steal my chest and other loot?

Deku Tree

^ no no one can steal your loot. Phantoms can't even take any chest loot or other loot on the ground. They can only take enemy drops, but they get their own drop.

I just want to say thank you to whoever joined my game on the layer 2 of defiled chalice. I honestly never mastered the watchdog good enough to not get one shot. Whoever joined my game totally pro modes the watch dog. Dude almost never got hit and knew how to bait all the watchdogs moves and knew exactly how to respond to anything the watchdog did. It was beautiful.

^ no no one can steal your loot. Phantoms can't even take any chest loot or other loot on the ground. They can only take enemy drops, but they get their own drop.

I just want to say thank you to whoever joined my game on the layer 2 of defiled chalice. I honestly never mastered the watchdog good enough to not get one shot. Whoever joined my game totally pro modes the watch dog. Dude almost never got hit and knew how to bait all the watchdogs moves and knew exactly how to respond to anything the watchdog did. It was beautiful

Ha, we were both stuck on the exact same boss

Deku Tree

Ha, we were both stuck on the exact same boss

I honestly think Defiled Watchdog could be pretty reasonable to master. There are a lot of very detailed guides out there both video and written. His moves are very well telegraphed compared to other bosses. But I never got around to doing it.

If you stand in front of his face mid-distance baiting the sideways swipe and then wait a beat to attack so that he doesn't follow it up with another one, that's basically all there is to the Watchdog other than watching out for the occasional charge, which I always find easier to dodge by locking-off.

He was one of those bosses that once I got down his moves I never had trouble with him again. The only killer in that fight would be a lack of patience.

Deku Tree

If you stand in front of his face mid-distance baiting the sideways swipe and then wait a beat to attack so that he doesn't follow it up with another one, that's basically all there is to the Watchdog other than watching out for the occasional charge, which I always find easier to dodge by locking-off.

He was one of those bosses that once I got down his moves I never had trouble with him again. The only killer in that fight would be a lack of patience.

Yeah that's what my summon did. Just kept poking him in the face. And watching out for the charge. And occasionally jumping in for a leg attack after a head swipe.

Just the usual drive by post.

Tips for new players:

1) Always buy Pebbles or Throwing Knives (these are usually the best items in the games since it only attracts one enemy from a bunch that you can pick off easy)

2) For most boss battles, patience is key. It's easy to over dodge and not have enough stamina when needed most. My advice is to know the enemy pattern, master the timing of your dodge for max invisibility frames, and hit at most twice to save up at least 25% stamina when you back out. Rinse and Repeat.

3) Learn your weapon's moveset. It is night and day when someone knows their weapon's full abilities compared to an R1 spammer. As a saw spear user, seeing the benefits of using some moves in PvE and PvP just gives you the advantage. Some are abusable, but knowing all your moves can give you somewhat an option select in battles.

4) If all else fails in PvE, use the rifle spear with lots of Charge and Thrust blood gems. The damage output on this is sometimes stupid and great for one shotting some enemies. Be aware of your stamina though.

I think that's it for now, I'm probably missing a few more.

Deku Tree

And just helped someone defeat defiled watchdog via the short root chalice. Yeah it's not that bad as long as your careful and patient.

Not yet. Tried once and Got Amy down to low health solo using the bait the tail thing. Not gonna be back in until 11-12 hours from now.

I beat it first go thanks to the 'poke' strategy, stay away and bait its attacks then attack its arms quickly then retreat and repeat

Yeah that's what my summon did. Just kept poking him in the face. And watching out for the charge. And occasionally jumping in for a leg attack after a head swipe.
Defiled Watchdog is all about patience and pattern recognition. Have fun with the next one though lol.

françois

I'm such an idiot, couldn't understand why I was getting so few people summoned to help. Tried it just now before the
martyr logarius
room and wouldn't summon. Had a look at network options and noticed it was set to local.

The second I switch it to worldwide I get a message that someone has been summoned...

Deku Tree

anyone free to help i'm in a depth 5 dungeon, lower loran, at lvl 170, got unlimited spiders to deal with :/

You probably have TWO bell ringing maidens to kill. They are usually in the same room. Run past the spiders, find the maidens and kill them... spider problem solved.

You don't have to be patient with Watchdog once you figure you can roll through his bites and get 2 hits on his legs. He also staggers when you hit the legs enough, so you can alternate legs for four staggers where you can get several hits in.

Makes it a much faster battle than waiting for good opportunities to get his head.

floor 2 completed, I had 2 people join me and they waited patiently while I was dealing with spider hell. We then preceded to destroy the boss

You don't have to be patient with Watchdog once you figure you can roll through his bites and get 2 hits on his legs. He also staggers when you hit the legs enough, so you can alternate legs for four staggers where you can get several hits in.

Makes it a much faster battle than waiting for good opportunities to get his head.
Yeah my fights with him do take a bit. I think my best one lasted about 8 minutes with me baiting attacks and hitting him in the head.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGgI5ckQKk8

Top Bottom