• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT+5| Grant Us Eyes!

cj_iwakura

Jl9g3Zo.gif

I assume you used some kind of video editing software to pull off the colors...

So been playing some more, and I will say the game is still quite easy. I have only died 8 times total so far. Once in the tutorial, once in Central Yahrnam, once to the giant in the stairs, twice in Cathedral Ward on the sidewalk to open the big gates, twice down the stairs after the two hunters before the altar where two snipers and two heavy axe-dudes-awaits and once in the graveyard with all the snipers just before Hemwick Charnel Lane.

Just got to the double witches now, but warped out because i had too many blood echoes to risk dying. Also guess I should check out the boss in Cathedral Ward first?

Game is really good though, and it does feel very different from the other Souls-games. However, it also feels a bit lighter in a way. There is not many weapons, not much gear etc. I am actually still using the weapons i started with (gun and axe), and just upgraded the rest of my gear once.
There is very little in the way of 'upgrading' your clothing once you get out of the starting set of items. More of situational changing of gear depending on what you want to increase your resistance to. Even so, the changes are not always that great so you see a lot of people running around in whatever 'look' they prefer for their character.

Dave_6

LOL, never seen anyone complain about Sunhi's gifs until this thread. All they do is make me want to continue this game. I last stopped at Rom after he kicked my ass a few times; that was back in March so I'll probably have to relearn this game all over again.

LOL, never seen anyone complain about Sunhi's gifs until this thread. All they do is make me want to continue this game. I last stopped at Rom after he kicked my ass a few times; that was back in March so I'll probably have to relearn this game all over again.

Recent patches added NPCs so you can summon them to help you and an interesting sidequest on the forbidden forest

Bladelaw

I've finally gone back for a full spoiler playthrough after going in blind my first time. I missed a shitload apparently so I'm going through and killing all bosses. First time out I completely missed
Cainhurst Castle
, and I'm currently stuck on the boss at level 58. I know I can get through it, I just need to get better timing the bosses attacks. It isn't helping that I'm specced for a weapon I don't have yet. Is there a list of tells for when/if I can parry
Martyr Logarius
? I can get through the first phase every time only popping a vial or two if I get greedy. Second phase is absolutely brutal.

I made a decent chunk of progress today; killed 3 bosses or so and cleared my first chalice dungeon.

Made a big mistake though and it's eating at me. In the forbidden forest,
found a ragged guy rummaging (eating?) some corpses on a roof. Dude asked me for safe place, I sensed something fishy but I still told him about the chapel. I then went somewhere else but grew increasingly uneasy so I tried to come back to stop him; dude was already gone.

Teleported to the chapel and found the old woman's pool of blood. Fuck man, she was a rude old hag but she didn't deserve it.

I then went back to the forest and eventually found myself back at Iosefka's clinic, she asked me to find survivors too. Dicked around a bit and managed to get in the clinic and found out she was experimenting on human. Fuck, if only i had found this before and sent that fucker here instead.

Colocho

Banned
I've always been "scared" and overwhelmed by the souls games. I played Dark Souls 1 and Dark Souls 2 for about 2 hours each before dropping them due to frustration, then a few months back I played Bloodborne and dropped it almost immediately. It was that thread where someone complained about the starting area of the game that got me to give it another go and oh boy, am I glad I did.

I just beat Rom, the Vacuous Spider, and so far It's the most fun I've had in gaming in quite some time. As soon as I finish this, I'm tempted to give DS1 and DS2 another chance and DS3 after that, hopefully I'll enjoy them as much as BB.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
There is very little in the way of 'upgrading' your clothing once you get out of the starting set of items. More of situational changing of gear depending on what you want to increase your resistance to. Even so, the changes are not always that great so you see a lot of people running around in whatever 'look' they prefer for their character.

Ok, this kinda sucks imo, but guess it makes the game easier and more mainstream. Thanks.

I would do the Witches first.

I did tonights play session before I read this post, but i ended up going to the Vicar. Died quickly on my first attempt for my first boss death in the game. Then on my second try i almost got here, but she kept healing herself four or five times - and eventually i ran out of blood vials and thus got killed. Third and fourth time i fucked up, but on my fifth try i used the item to stop health replenishement - and she went down with 10 vials left.

I then went to Old Yahrnam, where i meet the first real roadblock of the game - the quick assassin that has to be fought while the guy on the roof shoots a gatling gun at you. I died another five times here thanks to always fucking up and rolling into the gun fire or something stupid like that. But eventually got the assassin, and then quickly killed the machine gunner at the top too. Progressed through the next parts and throuht the streets without any real trouble, and unlocked a door to get a sweet shortcut down from the start of the stage. Guess Im more or less done with this area too now, well except any bosses.

Anyways, i have two item-related questions. Inside the huge room after the gatling gun-guy, there is this one item i just cant figure out how to get too. Ive tried rolling from the planks close by, but it just doesnt seem possible. Is there an unequip trick or something like in the older games to roll further?

Also, in Cathedral Ward on the way to the Vicar, there is this item up on a plattform just where n00bs can summon. Can i get this item now?

Anyways, i have two item-related questions. Inside the huge room after the gatling gun-guy, there is this one item i just cant figure out how to get too. Ive tried rolling from the planks close by, but it just doesnt seem possible. Is there an unequip trick or something like in the older games to roll further?

Also, in Cathedral Ward on the way to the Vicar, there is this item up on a plattform just where n00bs can summon. Can i get this item now?
The item on the way to Amelia where you can summon the NPC, you can reach that area after defeating the boss off Old Yarnham
the locked door near the Cathedral Ward bonfire opens magically

All the items on the rafters in the room below Djura can be reached by dropping down - climb the first ladder to Djura, but drop down on the ledge opposite the second ladder. The items on that side can be dropped down to, the items on the opposite side you walk across the rafters (a la Anor Londo in DS1), drop down and one requires a jump across. You can also hit the chadalier in there to drop it to the floor killing many of the enemies down there.

blakdeth

I completed Bloodborne and the Old Hunters DLC last night. After a grueling 76 hours, I obtained the
Childhood's Beginning
ending. I really appreciate all the help this forum provided, as well as all those folks who were willing to tackle some of the later bosses with me. Bloodborne is very nearly the perfect game. Easily one of my favorites along with the original Dark Souls.

I completed Bloodborne and the Old Hunters DLC last night. After a grueling 76 hours, I obtained the
Childhood's Beginning
ending. I really appreciate all the help this forum provided, as well as all those folks who were willing to tackle some of the later bosses with me. Bloodborne is very nearly the perfect game. Easily one of my favorites along with the original Dark Souls.

I'm curious did you end up summoning for stuff like OoK?

Childhood's Beginning

The squid ending? We splatoon

blakdeth

I'm curious did you end up summoning for stuff like OoK?

I did. It is difficult to spend what little time I do have on a single boss. Back when I was playing Dark Souls, I did nearly everything solo. Now, not so much.

Plus, I'm really not *that* great at these games, hence the 76 hour playtime. I'm constantly amazed when someone says they've beaten a boss on their first or second try. I think there were maybe two bosses I beat on the first or second try in all of Bloodborne.

Wamb0wneD

Beat Amelia and Paarl (That guy was easy...) and went for the Nightmare. I think I died at the 8th hunter there or so. It's definetly doable since parrying almost kills them but I progressed too slowly. Went to the Forbidden Woods afterwards and got another really mindblowing shortcut there. Got stolen 2 Insight on the way though because I had no clue what's going on lol. Fuck these things.
Did the first 2 floors of the first Chalice Dungeon afterwards. Not sure if i like them tbh. Also screw that rolling around asshole giant. That thing has no business being that agile.

Ok, this kinda sucks imo, but guess it makes the game easier and more mainstream. Thanks.

How lol. Like, it's the opposite. You always get roughly the same amount of damage from enemies instead of tanking hits for days like in DS. Pumping Titanite into your armor is hardly what I would call skill demanding.

If only we had a filter like that for the game D:

After a lapse in farming this one specific gem (whatever the fuck that means, I still play this game religiously), I was lucky enough to get exactly what I was looking for. It's a cursed heavy abyssal in waning form, which afaik doesn't drop under normal circumstances (video of that here).

For a strength pve/coop build, nothing comes close except for slotting those crazy poorman gems that amount to 42% for each slot on the cleaver. I can see that doing even more ridiculous damage, but it wouldn't be viable for me at least.

Huge comedown from sunhi's gifs but here's the setup in action:

2Z4CKMS.gif

Watch the video of me taking down the watchdog in a 0-death combo at level 120.

I'm so done with this build

ETA: maaaan, that last gif with the red moon. bring back gif avatars

Morfeo

The item on the way to Amelia where you can summon the NPC, you can reach that area after defeating the boss off Old Yarnham
the locked door near the Cathedral Ward bonfire opens magically

All the items on the rafters in the room below Djura can be reached by dropping down - climb the first ladder to Djura, but drop down on the ledge opposite the second ladder. The items on that side can be dropped down to, the items on the opposite side you walk across the rafters (a la Anor Londo in DS1), drop down and one requires a jump across. You can also hit the chadalier in there to drop it to the floor killing many of the enemies down there.

Thanks, spent a ton of time searching for a way to that first item, which was fruitless then I guess.

How lol. Like, it's the opposite. You always get roughly the same amount of damage from enemies instead of tanking hits for days like in DS. Pumping Titanite into your armor is hardly what I would call skill demanding.

I guess you can easily make that argument as well yeah. At least makes the rpg-elements lighter, and also exploring is less important when the starting gear is good enough for end game.

Anyways, I played some more. First went straight to the Blood-Starved Beast. His main attack was easy to dodge it seemed, but i keep getting poisoned - and died twice before i was smart enough to equip those antidotes laying around everywhere. Then he went down like a joke. Fun but pretty easy boss.

Since the way ended here, i then went back to the witches. This fight was also very creative and fun, although also slightly irritating when i discovered the witched could revive each others. Ended up almost taking them down on my first go, with both of them at about 20% health when i got stuck in a blue ball and gangraped by the minions. Definitely going back and killing them off tomorrow!

Btw, at 21 deaths total now, so guess the game is indeed getting harder which is cool.

NiteChylde

Neo Member
A couple of weeks ago I made a post asking for advice on alternative controllers with Xbox-like analog stick layout, because I somehow can't "git gud" with a DS4. Always gave up on Bloodborne because of this. I found no proper alternatives and decided to give Bloodborne another try regardless.

I'm so frackin' glad I did! Loving Bloodborne even more than I thought I would. Somehow this time it clicked and I'm not doing to bad with the DS4.

The game's setting and its atmosphere are just so damn good! Yesterday I spent the evening exploring
The Forbidden Woods
. I went here, I went there and when I had around 85k of Blood Echoes, I sat on the edge of my couch, light goosebumps on my arms and adrenaline in my blood, enjoying both the thick atmosphere and the tension of running around with so many souls and not knowing what would await me around the next corner. Can't wait to get back to that area and explore it more thoroughly, I know I missed at least a handful of items. Still have to find a way up
the huge windmill
, for example.

So far I managed to beat
Cleric Beast, Father Gascoigne, Vicar Amelia and Witches of Hemwick
, only
Amelia
gave me a run for my money. In the end I summoned an NPC for help, I already know I will have very limited time to play in the next couple of months and don't feel like spending several hours or maybe evenings to down a boss. I never managed to get the timing right for a couple of
her
moves. The other bosses went down first try.

I started to explore a couple of other areas as well, but decided to come back to them later. The fight with
the two hunters at the beginning of Nightmare Frontier
was a bit overwhelming. I tried to lure only one of them, but never managed to. After around a dozen or more deaths due to getting stuck in the environment after dodging the wrong way or just not being able to down them before they got the better of me, I just noped the fuck out of there and went elsewhere.

Basically I'm playing blind, I only knew a lot about the beginning of the game, but managed to not get myself spoiled on nearly everything coming after
Father Gascoigne
. I know some boss names, half seen a couple of screenshots, but I'm nearly blind story-wise and when it comes to stuff like area layouts, items etc

TL;DR:

Long story short, really loving the game, looking forward to playing more when I come home tonight. Bloodborne's thick atmosphere fully has me in its grasp...

That reminds me: one thing I know about from the later parts of the game is the
Whirligig Saw
. Is it far into the DLC?

I would love to have that weapon rather sooner than later. Thinking about starting the DLC and getting the weapon, if it really can be picked up in the early parts of the DLC and then going back to the base game before actually playing the DLC. Would that be possible?

I cleared
Nightmare Frontier
yesterday and I must say it's one of the worst experience so far for me. Mainly the
cesspool with slow poison and the frenzy enemies
, even with all the appropriate gears and runes it's still so annoying. I decided to do some suicide run to just collect items in those areas just because it's so annoying.

It's so freaking annoying that after I beat
Amygdala
, I promptly ragequit the game and went to bed.

Did I mention that it's freaking annoying?

RiggyRob

A couple of weeks ago I made a post asking for advice on alternative controllers with Xbox-like analog stick layout, because I somehow can't "git gud" with a DS4. Always gave up on Bloodborne because of this. I found no proper alternatives and decided to give Bloodborne another try regardless.

I'm so frackin' glad I did! Loving Bloodborne even more than I thought I would. Somehow this time it clicked and I'm not doing to bad with the DS4.

The game's setting and its atmosphere are just so damn good! Yesterday I spent the evening exploring
The Forbidden Woods
. I went here, I went there and when I had around 85k of Blood Echoes, I sat on the edge of my couch, light goosebumps on my arms and adrenaline in my blood, enjoying both the thick atmosphere and the tension of running around with so many souls and not knowing what would await me around the next corner. Can't wait to get back to that area and explore it more thoroughly, I know I missed at least a handful of items. Still have to find a way up
the huge windmill
, for example.

So far I managed to beat
Cleric Beast, Father Gascoigne, Vicar Amelia and Witches of Hemwick
, only
Amelia
gave me a run for my money. In the end I summoned an NPC for help, I already know I will have very limited time to play in the next couple of months and don't feel like spending several hours or maybe evenings to down a boss. I never managed to get the timing right for a couple of
her
moves. The other bosses went down first try.

I started to explore a couple of other areas as well, but decided to come back to them later. The fight with
the two hunters at the beginning of Nightmare Frontier
was a bit overwhelming. I tried to lure only one of them, but never managed to. After around a dozen or more deaths due to getting stuck in the environment after dodging the wrong way or just not being able to down them before they got the better of me, I just noped the fuck out of there and went elsewhere.

Basically I'm playing blind, I only knew a lot about the beginning of the game, but managed to not get myself spoiled on nearly everything coming after
Father Gascoigne
. I know some boss names, half seen a couple of screenshots, but I'm nearly blind story-wise and when it comes to stuff like area layouts, items etc

TL;DR:

Long story short, really loving the game, looking forward to playing more when I come home tonight. Bloodborne's thick atmosphere fully has me in its grasp...

That reminds me: one thing I know about from the later parts of the game is the
Whirligig Saw
. Is it far into the DLC?

I would love to have that weapon rather sooner than later. Thinking about starting the DLC and getting the weapon, if it really can be picked up in the early parts of the DLC and then going back to the base game before actually playing the DLC. Would that be possible?

You can get the Whirligig Saw before the first boss of the DLC, so it's definitely doable - you just have to be prepared to run past a lot of bulllllllllllshit.

NiteChylde

Neo Member
You can get the Whirligig Saw before the first boss of the DLC, so it's definitely doable - you just have to be prepared to run past a lot of bulllllllllllshit.

And could I return to the base game whenever I wanted to? If I should not get past all that bullshit and decide to come back later?

I cleared
Nightmare Frontier
yesterday and I must say it's one of the worst experience so far for me. Mainly the
cesspool with slow poison and the frenzy enemies
, even with all the appropriate gears and runes it's still so annoying. I decided to do some suicide run to just collect items in those areas just because it's so annoying.

It's so freaking annoying that after I beat
Amygdala
, I promptly ragequit the game and went to bed.

Did I mention that it's freaking annoying?

Yeah the poison areas are always the most frustrating parts of these games for someone like me who enjoys exploring and taking their time in an area. I also tend to rush through the forest for this same reason

Bladelaw

This is probably classified as a big spoiler but regarding three items you collect throughout the game I need to know if I'm screwed:
I need to know if I can't reach the Moon Presence boss, Based on some wiki walking it looks like there's four "Third of umbilical cord" items. two are always available, one in the Abandoned Workshop, one from beating Mergo's Wet Nurse. The other two were classed as "missable", one from Iosefka post Rom fight, and one from Arianna.

I already killed Iosefka pre-Rom, and I never found Arianna. Am I completely screwed out of the final boss fight? If so this is the second playthrough I fucked up and I'm kind of pissed.

RiggyRob

This is probably classified as a big spoiler but regarding three items you collect throughout the game I need to know if I'm screwed:
I need to know if I can't reach the Moon Presence boss, Based on some wiki walking it looks like there's four "Third of umbilical cord" items. two are always available, one in the Abandoned Workshop, one from beating Mergo's Wet Nurse. The other two were classed as "missable", one from Iosefka post Rom fight, and one from Arianna.

I already killed Iosefka pre-Rom, and I never found Arianna. Am I completely screwed out of the final boss fight? If so this is the second playthrough I fucked up and I'm kind of pissed.

Yeah, you're screwed. I don't think it's something that can be dropped in co-op.

Bladelaw

Yeah, you're screwed. I don't think it's something that can be dropped in co-op.

God dammit.

Oh well I'm enjoying this playthrough. Last time I went Threaded Cane from start to finish. This time around I'm experimenting with different weapons, I actually learned how to parry (seriously, I beat the game before without learning to parry). I specced quality because I heard ravings about Ludwig's Holy Blade, then I saw some Vaati vids about the Chikage and the Blades of Mercy, both of which I wanted to try so I rushed
Castle Cainhurst which is how I missed the Iosefka cord...
Between the two I'm loving the Blades of Mercy. If I do a third playthrough I'll rush that instead. My stat allocation isn't optimal but things die plenty fast and I haven't had nearly the same trouble with bosses as I did the first go around. Only
Martyr Logarius
has given me any trouble and I bet it's because I missed that boss the first time out. I'm probably going to do the DLC in this playthrough and
call the end a wash which sucks because I really wanted to fight Moon Presence

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
And could I return to the base game whenever I wanted to? If I should not get past all that bullshit and decide to come back later?
Yes, you can go back to the main game from the DLC at anytime. In fact it might be recommended because the later DLC areas are noticeably harder than anything else in the main game.

God dammit.

Oh well I'm enjoying this playthrough. Last time I went Threaded Cane from start to finish. This time around I'm experimenting with different weapons, I actually learned how to parry (seriously, I beat the game before without learning to parry).
I'm still missing a bunch of stuff too. I still haven't seen Upper Cathedral Ward or
fought Moon Presence
, so I've been meaning to do new playthroughs to visit those areas. There are also some weapon builds that I want to try like the Beasthunter Saif, which I keep hearing rave reviews about but never tried for myself.

And yes, the BoM is amazing. Such a fun weapon to play with.

NiteChylde

Neo Member
Yes, you can go back to the main game from the DLC at anytime. In fact it might be recommended because the later DLC areas are noticeably harder than anything else in the main game.

I'm still missing a bunch of stuff too. I still haven't seen Upper Cathedral Ward or
fought Moon Presence
, so I've been meaning to do new playthroughs to visit those areas. There are also some weapon builds that I want to try like the Beasthunter Saif, which I keep hearing rave reviews about but never tried for myself.

And yes, the BoM is amazing. Such a fun weapon to play with.

Oh yeah, you don't get locked into the DLC once you're there, you're free go back and forth.

Thanks a lot, guys, I appreciate your help.

Bladelaw

I think I've finished all the normal game bosses except
Gehrman and of course Moon Presense...
I went and cleared up the last of the optional bosses last night. BoM at +10 is absurdly powerful and made
Celestial Emissary, Ebrietas, and Mergo's Wet Nurse
a complete joke. I think I should probably pick up the DLC at this point. I'm level 95, that's probably ok to start the DLC right?

I went and cleared up the last of the optional bosses last night. BoM at +10 is absurdly powerful and made
a complete joke. I think I should probably pick up the DLC at this point. I'm level 95, that's probably ok to start the DLC right?

That sounds fine to me. It's about the level I was if I remember correctly.

It's noticeably harder than the main game though, and those 3 spoilered bosses are some of the easiest in the main game, maybe not
Ebrietas
though. So don't worry about your BoM being overpowered now, because they won't be in the DLC.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.

i think you're about the recommended level for the DLC so sure by all means jump in :) i think that's roughly what i was at when i started. it's tough in the first area but the first boss didn't trouble me much but i've seen a lot of people have difficulty with it. second boss is simple enough. 3rd was a bit tricky. the last 2 bosses just destroyed me :(

Morfeo

Reading some of the semi-spoiled stuff here, are there areas and bosses in the game you wont be able to experience basically without using a guide?

Reading some of the semi-spoiled stuff here, are there areas and bosses in the game you wont be able to experience basically without using a guide?

The optional areas are easy to find but you have to actually explore and enjoy the game. If you are trying to finish the game as fast as possible to play other game then you will miss some areas.

There are two areas well hidden , one on the forbidden woods and another on the Oeadon ward tower. The one in the tower have two hidden areas actually

Bladelaw

If you don't have a guide is possible to miss at least one boss permanently for that game. You'd need to either start a new character, or play through NG+ and not skip specific items. It's possible to get the hints you need in game but it's also possible you do things in the wrong order (like me) and miss something you can't get after certain events trigger.
Missable Areas I know of (I don't think any of these are permanently locked out though, one might be):
Upper Cathedral Ward
Nightmare Frontier
Iosefka's Clinic
Castle Cainhurst

Missable Bosses you CAN be locked out of at least one of these, there may be more but this is off the top of my head.
Celestial Emissary
Ebrietas Daughter of the Cosmos
Darkbeast Paarl
Amygdala
Martyr Logarius
Gehrman, The First Hunter
Moon Presence
All Chalice dungeon bosses

Here's the thing, for one boss you need
3 "Third of Umbilical"
items, as I note above there are
in the game and
are missable. I missed
both
so I can't fight
Moon Presence
this NG cycle.

jonjonaug

If you don't have a guide is possible to miss at least one boss permanently for that game. You'd need to either start a new character, or play through NG+ and not skip specific items. It's possible to get the hints you need in game but it's also possible you do things in the wrong order (like me) and miss something you can't get after certain events trigger.
Missable Areas I know of (I don't think any of these are permanently locked out though, one might be):
Upper Cathedral Ward
Nightmare Frontier
Iosefka's Clinic
Castle Cainhurst

Missable Bosses you CAN be locked out of at least one of these, there may be more but this is off the top of my head.
Celestial Emissary
Ebrietas Daughter of the Cosmos
Darkbeast Paarl
Amygdala
Martyr Logarius
Gehrman, The First Hunter
Moon Presence
All Chalice dungeon bosses

Here's the thing, for one boss you need
3 "Third of Umbilical"
items, as I note above there are
in the game and
are missable. I missed
both
so I can't fight
Moon Presence
this NG cycle.
Cleric Beast and Blood Starved Beast are also semi-optional (along with all of Old Yharnum). Killing one lets you skip the other. The Witches of Hemwick and their area are also entirely optional.

You cannot be locked out of any areas or bosses besides
Moon Presence

Went back to my NG+ character to try and take out Laurence because I was craving some Bloodborne action and wewlad. He hits like a damn truck. And has the health pool of a damn tank.

I understand who PVP and Summoning is locked behind PS+, but not being able to get notes and bloodstains is stupid af

I started this last night and played for four hours and got past the Blood Starved Beast which felt very good tbh

Top Bottom