• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT+5| Grant Us Eyes!

Also a question, is it true I have to be at NG+ for the DLC content? That would be a real bummer...
No you don't have to be in NG+ for the DLC. The DLC is accessible after
the cutscene after killing Amelia

About Amelia, she is very weak to fire and her limbs can be damaged. But I would actually leave her until you've explored a bit more, and thus got your weapon upgraded a bit - the path to the left that is a tunnel then a forest area, and beyond, is actually where I would suggest going before fighting Amelia, and also Old Yarnham if you haven't done that already. Good job on sticking with it btw :)

Wamb0wneD

No you don't have to be in NG+ for the DLC. The DLC is accessible after
the cutscene after killing Amelia

About Amelia, she is very weak to fire and her limbs can be damaged. But I would actually leave her until you've explored a bit more, and thus got your weapon upgraded a bit - the path to the left that is a tunnel then a forest area, and beyond, is actually where I would suggest going before fighting Amelia, and also Old Yarnham if you haven't done that already. Good job on sticking with it btw :)

Thanks! Do I need anything else except killing her? Normally that stuff is mor obtuse lol. I know i have to get "killed" by that invisible thing.

Also thanks for the advice. I also think i got some fire paper so i should be able to deal with her after exploring the forset and Old Yarnam.

I'm looking for someone to validate my feeling that it is okay to summon for boss fights. Sometimes I simply don't have the time or inclination to attempt a boss fight a dozen times before succeeding. I really love these types of games, but I can't shake the feeling that I'm some sort of a scrub if I summon. If one or two folks out there would echo this sentiment, I would feel a lot better.

People play different games for different reasons, if you want to play through the game coop that's a totally legitimate thing to do. Summons are in the game for a reason. I say this as someone who makes an effort to not over level for bosses or area my first time through a game. If the community says a boss is usually fought at level 60 and I have 300k souls/echoes I use them on consumables instead.

Summons will only help so much anyways you'll occasionally run across some ultra skilled summon who has the ideal build for a boss, but that's not a common thing. I imagine it's even more uncommon in Bloodborne where there's not a huge incentive to get yourself summoned.

Thanks! Do I need anything else except killing her? Normally that stuff is mor obtuse lol. I know i have to get "killed" by that invisible thing.

Also thanks for the advice. I also think i got some fire paper so i should be able to deal with her after exploring the forset and Old Yarnam.

While you can access the DLC then, I wouldn't do it immediately, it's pretty brutal. Would def reccomend getting to around lvl 70 - 80ish before hopping in unless you're feeling very comfortable with your skills.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Hi y'all! I was the guy who made that recent thread where I struggled with the game deisgn before finishing the Cleric Beast. Didn't want to bump that thread though.

Sooo the level design in this game is fucking ace. I love Miyazaki. Anyway...
I beat the Father G dude on my second try, was surprised since everyone hyped him up so hard. The third boss however... (That white wolf thing with the amulet in her hands)... God fucking damnit. Like... God damn. I'm getting my ass kicked so hard. Even when I dodge most of the stuff, I'm two hit material and didn't even manage to get her to half hp.

I then tried to explore some more, to the right there are two hunter dudes. The one with his bolt weapon was no problem whatsoever... The dude with the shotgun and spear tho... I can't. Dodging that shit in time when I'm near him is almost impossible. And my sneak attack from behind didn't even deal half damage.

To the left theres some forest that looks interesting, maybe I'll expore that next. Or should I go to Old Yarnam? So many places.

Also a question, is it true I have to be at NG+ for the DLC content? That would be a real bummer...

I went to Old Yarbam, no idea where that boss you are talking about is, but im doing fine down here so far!

Btw, i have 9 insight now. Should i use it? Is it like humanity where stacking it is good, or should it just be treated like a currency?

Jobbs

Banned
Hi y'all! I was the guy who made that recent thread where I struggled with the game deisgn before finishing the Cleric Beast. Didn't want to bump that thread though.

Sooo the level design in this game is fucking ace. I love Miyazaki. Anyway...
I beat the Father G dude on my second try, was surprised since everyone hyped him up so hard. The third boss however... (That white wolf thing with the amulet in her hands)... God fucking damnit. Like... God damn. I'm getting my ass kicked so hard. Even when I dodge most of the stuff, I'm two hit material and didn't even manage to get her to half hp.

I then tried to explore some more, to the right there are two hunter dudes. The one with his bolt weapon was no problem whatsoever... The dude with the shotgun and spear tho... I can't. Dodging that shit in time when I'm near him is almost impossible. And my sneak attack from behind didn't even deal half damage.

To the left theres some forest that looks interesting, maybe I'll expore that next. Or should I go to Old Yarnam? So many places.

No, you don't have to be in NG+ to do DLC. The minimum requirement is
killing that white wolf with the pendant

Wamb0wneD

Alright thanks for the help! Got my Cane at +3 i think?. Now I need some new sort of upgrade material. Going to sleep now though. Too bad Splatoon 2's splatfest is this weekend, gotta grind...

There's a key item, Eye of a Blooddrunk Hunter, that shows up in the Hunter's Dream on the steps, like the starter weapons did. The full method for accessing the DLC is here:

http://bloodborne.wiki.fextralife.com/The+Old+Hunters

Thanks! I think I recall the name of that item but i picked it up somewhere else...Is that even possible? xD

While you can access the DLC then, I wouldn't do it immediately, it's pretty brutal. Would def reccomend getting to around lvl 70 - 80ish before hopping in unless you're feeling very comfortable with your skills.

Wooow level 70/80ish? So... basically NG+?

I went to Old Yarbam, no idea where that boss you are talking about is, but im doing fine down here so far!

Btw, i have 9 insight now. Should i use it? Is it like humanity where stacking it is good, or should it just be treated like a currency?

Ill go there next as well i think. Oh you'll have fun with that boss lmao. I got 9 Inisght as well + some Madman's Knowledges. I saw you can buy gear of some bosses you beat in the Dream with Insight, but Father Gascuoines gear kinda sucks so I'll wait for something else.

No, you don't have to be in NG+ to do DLC. The minimum requirement is
killing that white wolf with the pendant

Yeah, that'll take a while lmao. Thanks!

tReurb3.gif

blakdeth

People play different games for different reasons, if you want to play through the game coop that's a totally legitimate thing to do. Summons are in the game for a reason. I say this as someone who makes an effort to not over level for bosses or area my first time through a game. If the community says a boss is usually fought at level 60 and I have 300k souls/echoes I use them on consumables instead.

Summons will only help so much anyways you'll occasionally run across some ultra skilled summon who has the ideal build for a boss, but that's not a common thing. I imagine it's even more uncommon in Bloodborne where there's not a huge incentive to get yourself summoned.

Thanks for the validation. Sometimes I struggle with having the "real experience" when I should be concentrating on "my experience". We all walk our own path I suppose.

Thanks for the validation. Sometimes I struggle with having the "real experience" when I should be concentrating on "my experience". We all walk our own path I suppose.

I dont think anyone play on the game predefined path anyway

The charm about souls is there isnt a holding telling you what to do. You can get lost but thats the point of exploring

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Wooow level 70/80ish? So... basically NG+?
The DLC is arguably as hard or harder than the endgame content of the main game, but there's so much to find in even the first area that it's worth exploring before you get to the end of the main game. Give it a shot, but don't feel too bad if you hit a wall.

If you get stuck at any point in the DLC, you can always go back to the main game for a bit, then come back to the DLC later.

It's probably the best DLC I've played in any game. Just be aware that it seems to be built and tuned around the assumption that the player really knows how to fight.

Wamb0wneD

The DLC is arguably as hard or harder than the endgame content of the main game, but there's so much to find in even the first area that it's worth exploring before you get to the end of the main game. Give it a shot, but don't feel too bad if you hit a wall.

If you get stuck at any point in the DLC, you can always go back to the main game for a bit, then come back to the DLC later.

It's probably the best DLC I've played in any game. Just be aware that it seems to be built and tuned around the assumption that the player really knows how to fight.

Got it, thanks. Thing is I was so dumb and started with the Cane and have to go on Skill now, and there only seem to be some good Skill weapons in the DLC and at the end of the game...I don't really regret it though, Cane rocks.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Got it, thanks. Thing is I was so dumb and started with the Cane and have to go on Skill now, and there only seem to be some good Skill weapons in the DLC and at the end of the game...I don't really regret it though, Cane rocks.
I started with the Cane too. It's a bit of a slow starter but then it slowly becomes amazing as you get used to it. I stuck with mine through the whole main game, and it's still one of my favorite weapons.

The DLC does have some good skill weapons. Actually, it just gives a LOT more weapon variety to the game, for any build.

The Cane is one of the secret best weapons in the game. I actually platinumed the game with a cane focused character...that eventually became skill/bloodtinge and also had the Chikage. The skill weapons are a bit late in the DLC though.

Cane is all about crowd control , enemies and bosses will barely touch you, you better learn how to use the pistol for vis attacks

I do love the cane. Once you get used to the transformed range, you can zone out anything that doesn't move fast enough to get in your face right away. It almost feels broken in some areas because of it.

And for the enemies that are that fast, you have the sword form.
Not to mention being able to attack enemies through walls.

Wamb0wneD

The Cane is one of the secret best weapons in the game. I actually platinumed the game with a cane focused character...that eventually became skill/bloodtinge and also had the Chikage. The skill weapons are a bit late in the DLC though.

The guys that moan and point at me are so easy to counter its hilarious. I also managed to stun one of the huge ass giants with axes without shooting and have no clue how i did it. Some Hunter dude with his shotgun and spear reckt me so hard though I have no clue whatsoever how to approach him. He's spamming his shotgun like no tomorrow. I can avoid it easily from afar but I can't get near him at all and as soon I even start swinging my weapon or trying to thrust he either avoids me with ease or shoots in my face. Him having endless stamina sucks.

Hardest enemy so far by far. I had no problems with some other Hunter dude who had a charged up weapon and a shield.

these are cool but cmon...give it a rest.

Usually I'll make and post gifs of my play through whichever game I'm playing and I've never had any complaints, but since Bloodborne was released a while ago there's not many posts in between mine. If you haven't already you can download the NeoGFY extension for your browser as everything I upload is to imgur http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1274391 I'll also try to limit them to 2 per page (50ppg).

blakdeth

Usually I'll make and post gifs of my play through whichever game I'm playing and I've never had any complaints, but since Bloodborne was released a while ago there's not many posts in between mine. If you haven't already you can download the NeoGFY extension for your browser as everything I upload is to imgur http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1274391 I'll also try to limit them to 2 per page (50ppg).

Definitely keep posting.

May I ask what software you use to create these gifs?

Definitely keep posting.

May I ask what software you use to create these gifs?

Capture using a capture card, edit footage in After Effects, crop, zoom, mess with the colour etc. Once I'm happy with the clip I'll render it out and import in Photoshop. Then it's messing with the settings in there, usually change the frame timing from 0.03 (30fps) to 0.04 (24fps), slows down the footage a touch. When exporting as a gif I usually keep the colours at 256 and dither to 100% but adjust the lossy slider to lower file size.

The frontier would feel like a cake walk for you after BSB

Yeah it was pretty easy, especially the boss, although I did see the Winter Lantern for the first time and it killed me twice before I figured out how to approach them. I'm probably also over powered at this point, I've been taking my time through each area making sure not to miss anything, I've just entered Nightmare Mensis and I'm about 40 hours in and at level 89 now, although one thing I love about this game it doesn't matter how much I level up enemies can still kill me with a couple of hits, or one shot me still at this point. I'm not sure how long from the end I am, I don't think I'm that far off, I still have Castle Cainhurst to do and I want the tackle the DLC before I finish the main game. Still, plenty of Bloodborne goodness to go through.

Yeah it was pretty easy, especially the boss, although I did see the Winter Lantern for the first time and it killed me twice before I figured out how to approach them. I'm probably also over powered at this point, I've been taking my time through each area making sure not to miss anything, I've just entered Nightmare Mensis and I'm about 40 hours in and at level 89 now, although one thing I love about this game it doesn't matter how much I level up enemies can still kill me with a couple of hits, or one shot me still at this point. I'm not sure how long from the end I am, I don't think I'm that far off, I still have Castle Cainhurst to do and I want the tackle the DLC before I finish the main game. Still, plenty of Bloodborne goodness to go through.
You're going to love most of the dlc, get that weapon to +10 first though.

blakdeth

Capture using a capture card, edit footage in After Effects, crop, zoom, mess with the colour etc. Once I'm happy with the clip I'll render it out and import in Photoshop. Then it's messing with the settings in there, usually change the frame timing from 0.03 (30fps) to 0.04 (24fps), slows down the footage a touch. When exporting as a gif I usually keep the colours at 256 and dither to 100% but adjust the lossy slider to lower file size.

Awesome, thanks! Any reason you use a capture card vs the built-in PS4 recording functionality?

Awesome, thanks! Any reason you use a capture card vs the built-in PS4 recording functionality?
I think the capture card equals better resolution, from what I remember hearing the in built recording compresses too much. Most streamers that aren't struggle life tier don't even use the in built recording feature.

Wasn't really happy with the 720p and bitrate of standard PS4 capture, picked up a cheap internal capture card last year, it's limited to 30fps at 1080p but it looks great. I also play through the capture card on my pc, I'll sometimes have the window open in one corner while browsing in another.

Top is PS4, bottom is capture card:

Veelk

Banned
Wasn't really happy with the 720p and bitrate of standard PS4 capture, picked up a cheap internal capture card last year, it's limited to 30fps at 1080p but it looks great. I also play through the capture card on my pc, I'll sometimes have the window open in one corner while browsing in another.

Top is PS4, bottom is capture card:

Hey Sunhi, I might be in the market for a capture card myself. Do you have recommendations for any?

Also, I'm a little confused as to how they work. Will one capture card work for other modern consoles (for example, would the one you use work on the PS4 work on the PS3 or Xbox 360?)

Soooo Eileen doesn't spawn for me at the Cathedral ward. And yes, i opened the two shortcuts...

Have you tired warping to the dream then return to Oeadon tomb lamp?

I hope we can see a gif of the winter lantern later.

M
ensis
is the last zone before the end, be careful since killing the last boss push you to NG+

After years of reading about this game, I finally started it after snatching a PS4 slim a month back. And boy, this game does not disappoint.

Having played and beaten Dark Souls 3 with relative ease, I thought I was well prepared for this game.

Fucking nope. In the starting area, I got absolutely wrecked by this fat fuck enemy with a huge cleaver. Beating him felt like beating a real boss.

Then comes the real first boss,
the massive doggo Cleric Beast
. Hoo boy. I remembered breezing through the first 3-4 or something first bosses of Dark Souls 3 yet here I was, getting my ass handed to me like a thousand times before I decided to restart my game and picked the axe instead. The cane feels elegant but I feel like it's kind of weak at the beginning.

I put down
the doggo in my 2nd try with the axe.

Father Gascoign and Blood-Starved Beast did not put much of a fight, I got them first try.

Got put to jail by some weird boogey man. Found my way to a boss area. Saw a message from some guy with the text "Turn Back" and some 50s upvote, had a good chuckle. Got to the Darkbeast and got killed with him with only 1/4th of health left.
Got to the lamp post and travel back to the dream and can't come back here no more. Need to investigate this crap because I hate that blue lightning doggo, my 20k something blood echoes ;(

Then comes the cathedral area. I fucked around until I comes to this area
with 2 mad hunters out front. Killed them, and heard the crazies folks inside yapping "Bless us with the blood". Went down the stair, saw a massive bowl inside the chapel with another 2 fat fucks out front. Don't know what to put in the bowl.
Tried to push the door open instead and boom. Got grabbed by a massive blue ghost. Dropped dead.

What a game. I've played a tons of PS4 1st party game since I bought the PS4 and so far only this game lives up to its hype. Can't wait for more.

The level design is so good, the enemies design is so good and the Lovecraftian horror vibe is so ace.

Hey Sunhi, I might be in the market for a capture card myself. Do you have recommendations for any?

Also, I'm a little confused as to how they work. Will one capture card work for other modern consoles (for example, would the one you use work on the PS4 work on the PS3 or Xbox 360?)

I use the AverMedia GL510E, I wanted an internal card as my PC is always hooked to my TV which I connect everything to so instead of having more USB cables and another power adapter I opted for the internal card. It was also cheap which is probably the main reason I brought it, it's still going for £30 from CeX, a second hand electronics store from where I brought it, less than half the retail price. It's got two HDMI connections, like most capture cards I've seen really, one input and one output. Only problem with this particular card is you can't capture in 60fps at 1080p only at 720p can you capture at 60fps. If I was to buy a capture card now I would most likely get the updated version of my card which can do 60fps at fullHD as I've had no problems so far with the hardware or the software that came with the device. For older consoles like the PS3 I did run into a HDCP problem, I couldn't just plug in the HDMI like I can with the current gen consoles, the HDMI signal is copyright protected, but to get around that issue I brought a cheap £5 HDMI splitter which automatically strips the HDCP from the signal and I'm able to capture just fine after that. That's all I know really when it comes to capture cards, this was the first proper one I brought apart from a shitty cheap device I brought years ago to convert vhs to dvds. Hope that helped.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
So been playing some more, and I will say the game is still quite easy. I have only died 8 times total so far. Once in the tutorial, once in Central Yahrnam, once to the giant in the stairs, twice in Cathedral Ward on the sidewalk to open the big gates, twice down the stairs after the two hunters before the altar where two snipers and two heavy axe-dudes-awaits and once in the graveyard with all the snipers just before Hemwick Charnel Lane.

Just got to the double witches now, but warped out because i had too many blood echoes to risk dying. Also guess I should check out the boss in Cathedral Ward first?

Game is really good though, and it does feel very different from the other Souls-games. However, it also feels a bit lighter in a way. There is not many weapons, not much gear etc. I am actually still using the weapons i started with (gun and axe), and just upgraded the rest of my gear once.

Top Bottom