• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT+5| Grant Us Eyes!

Cool thank you so much. On my 7 or 8th playthrough and this is the first time ive ever used the Tonitrus. Does it get buffed max on one L1 charge or does multiple charges make it stronger?

Nope, several charges dont stack sadly

One thing Ive wanted to use but never understood the utility of, is the old hunters bone. Its use itself is super helpful but 4 bullets for a brief period of extra I frames? Seems like a lot. Really hoping the next installment finds a better way to utilize items like this.

Tools are pretty situational due the bullets mechanics, the bone is pretty good on pvp, Roar is the most useful early in PVE, later one you fill more more aggressive and useful spells

zeemumu

I took the coward ending during my first playthrough, and I just finished my 2nd with the true ending.

Took me two tries to defeat
Gerhman
because my controller died on me when he was down to about 1/3 health.

Managed to kill
Moon Presence
on my first try and almost died because of his heartless angel 1HP move happenining while I wasn't able to heal.

I've got another save with everything up to Amygdala and Rom done so that'll be the one I use for the Old Hunters DLC because the other one is New Game ++ right now.

Coward ending is not bad,
you simply ended your hunt and live for another day
, the other endings kills
your humanity and your persona

i'm about to beat rom, which changes the game to the blood moon phase. if i want to platinum this at some point, do i need to go and update any NPC interactions for trophies before doing this?

Kos gets harder the lower his health gets. I had to coop to beat him. First time cooping a boss, honestly makes it way too easy. Laurence left but he's spanking me hard right now as well. Nowhere near as hard or aggressive as Kos but is an absolute tank. Gonna take a while.

That being said, I believe I'm done with the expansion? Fantastic experience all around.

Best wishes,

So in typical souls fashion I recalled the elevator from Ludwig to Research Hall only to see if you can drop below the elevator to some sewers or something. Lo & behold an altar comes up with Laurence skull. Okay, Laurence, I've heard about him in this thread - another hard DLC boss. Okay, I will meet him later on.

Quoting myself but holy shit there *IS* a thing below the Laurence Skull. I woke up today and thought that in the end I didn't go down with the elevator because of the Skull. So I checked it again today.

From makes the BEST DLCs (Artorias, Brume Tower, Eleum Loyce, Shulva, Old Hunters).

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Kos gets harder the lower his health gets. I had to coop to beat him. First time cooping a boss, honestly makes it way too easy. Laurence left but he's spanking me hard right now as well. Nowhere near as hard or aggressive as Kos but is an absolute tank. Gonna take a while.

That being said, I believe I'm done with the expansion? Fantastic experience all around.

Best wishes,

i was the same. played through the entire game on my own but had to summon another player for Kos.

yep, laurence is the last boss. you've finished it when you defeat him.
only gehrman and the moon presence left if you have enough umbilical cords

sn00zer

Is there a quick sheet Ala the dark souls one below for bloodborne. Want to send it to someone.
IWjcUhV.jpg

Woo I can finally tank in this game!

bloodborne_20170218170bbgx.jpg

Kidding of course. Or am I :) ?

---

Man, I shouldn't have done the Chalice Trophy before starting the DLC. It is easy as fuck now. I mean the Chalice bosses were 10x harder for me.

Ludwig - 4th try (tried him first on LVL45 so that shouldn't even count)
Laurence - 2nd try
Living Failures - 1st try
Maria - 1st try (used only 10 vials)

Maria was basically a female Sir Alonne with that super delayed, super tracked slash but she just couldn't put up a good fight.

They all die to Ludwig's R1 combo. It does over 2200 damage in one combo and usually they have 15-16k HPs so I only need to attack them 8 times.

I am kind of hoping the super-hard boss everyone is talking about (Kos) will be manageable for me because I want to move to NG+ ASAP. Is NG+ hard in BB? I am LVL139.

I did it! I got my platinum! It turns out I somehow missed the Cosmic Eye Watcher badge and didn't have Rosmarinus because of that. Once I got that sorted I was able to get the Hunter's Essence trophy and get the plat. I also wrapped up the DLC this morning too, which was seriously epic. This is the only game I've ever platinumed. I never care about trophies in most games but in Bloodborne I really wanted to master the game and experience every bit of content. It's just that good and easily in my top five of all time. I'm kind of sad I'm done but I'm glad I can finally focus on other games I've been neglecting. What a game!

i'm about to beat rom, which changes the game to the blood moon phase. if i want to platinum this at some point, do i need to go and update any NPC interactions for trophies before doing this?

Not really, most the NPCs go out the game after rom so far you only miss one umbilical chord tied to one of those NPCs but there is a spare chord elsewhere.

Anyone able to help me run through the DLC as as far as unlocking the door to Simon? I rolled a new character last night and I wanna try and grab his Bowblade early. Haven't tried the weapon yet but I want it for PVE so I was hoping to kill Simon.

Cheers, hope to see someone answer my beckon

EDIT: I just managed to open the shortcut next to Simon, just need help killing him now

EDIT 2: fuck yeah, managed to kill him

The biggest disappointments of this game are:

- missing trophies for obtaining all Gestures
- no "Boss Soul" weapons

I dont mind straight forward trophies makes the game enjoyable and not forcing you to do multiple runs for trophies instead of actually having fun with different builds. Getting some trophies on DS3 are dumb and grindy

I dont mind straight forward trophies makes the game enjoyable and not forcing you to do multiple runs for trophies instead of actually having fun with different builds. Getting some trophies on DS3 are dumb and grindy

Yeah, as much as I enjoy DS3, I'd never bother trying to platinum it. Some of the covenant stuff is just stupidly grindy and not fun.

ChrisD

Lost 400k Echoes in a string of stupidity and bad luck. Was traveling through a Loran chalice to get back to the lamp, rather than just MARKING OUT and got shot by some traps which I saw but left up because, "Ah, everything is dead and I'm heading back, it's fine." Well, I also had next to no health and held onto my Vials for the same reason. Shot. Dead. Go back in and try to get them, and the freaking Bell Witches kicked into overdrive and spawned like eight spiders right off the bat that seeked me out and surrounded me.

I'm so peeved right now. That was enough for a level and all the weapons I need for the All Weapons trophy.

grmlin

The trophies itself are not the problem in DS3, it's the fucking broken summoning system and that you can't earn the items in another way.

Broken game mechanic that they should have fixed 1 month after release.

The trophies itself are not the problem in DS3, it's the fucking broken summoning system and that you can't earn the items in another way.

Broken game mechanic that they should have fixed 1 month after release.

Dont forget the ++Rings (lol) forcing you to go Ng++ for them

cj_iwakura

Is there a quick sheet Ala the dark souls one below for bloodborne. Want to send it to someone.
IWjcUhV.jpg

I could think of one.

Took down Ludwig in the DLC. Thank god it's a free online play weekend. Loved the atmosphere of the fight, and how it's basically the opposite of
Father Gascoigne.

How much of that is it, 1/3?

sn00zer

I could think of one.

Took down Ludwig in the DLC. Thank god it's a free online play weekend. Loved the atmosphere of the fight, and how it's basically the opposite of
Father Gascoigne.

How much of that is it, 1/3?
Thanks that would be awesome. Waking up the doll and not explaining the use of the gun I think we're two not do great design decisions you need to actually have explained to you

Are they kidding me with those 2 Shark Giants in the cave?!? Mother of god they were harder than some of the bosses. Used almost all my vials and it was a miracle I survived. How much HP do they have ?!?

The last DLC area is superb. I really have no words. That vast cave gave me Blighttown flashbacks of you are up there on the planks but you can see shinies 200 meters below you in the water/ swamp.

I only have the last boss to kill now, opened all shortcuts, killed every enemy possible and picked up every shiny possible.

CalhounBurns

Neo Member
Are they kidding me with those 2 Shark Giants in the cave?!? Mother of god they were harder than some of the bosses. Used almost all my vials and it was a miracle I survived. How much HP do they have ?!?

Well they are guarding the most OP weapon in the game. Shaman Bone Blade is a fun way of dealing with them. You can parry them too.

jviggy43

The last DLC area is superb. I really have no words. That vast cave gave me Blighttown flashbacks of you are up there on the planks but you can see shinies 200 meters below you in the water/ swamp.

I only have the last boss to kill now, opened all shortcuts, killed every enemy possible and picked up every shiny possible.

Those sharks are easily the hardest non boss challenge in the souls series, and are harder than most of BBs bosses haha.

On another note 1. mergo's wet nurse is such an incredible design, even if it isn't a very difficult boss and 2. Logarius is much harder as an arcane than other builds ive played with.

ChrisD

(image dump, forgive me =p)
Tonight, Chris joins the Platinum crew.

Think I spent about... eight hours straight playing today. :X Played for a few hours last night, as well. In total it was just about ten hours to go from zero Chalice progress to killing Queen Yharnam. Also super-leveled (was like 104 last night), because holy wow do the dungeons drop LOADS of echoes.

Surprisingly, Amygdala wasn't that hard? Maybe it's because I use the Saw Spear, and it's got an amazing Run+R2. Not to say it was easy, but I think it was just around ten tries. Spent maybe twenty-five minutes in total on her. The Watch Dog was dang annoying at first, but after I stopped going rambo on him things went smoothly. The Headless dude and Pthumerian Descendant both went down on the second try. The Queen on the first, but she doesn't really do much. Was a bit of a let down, but also highly relieving. Didn't use Online or AI summons even once in the whole game!

Took this picture because I found humor in the fact my safe haven was on fire the entire time I was running through Chalices, lol.

And finally, my playtime(s).

Don't have the Theme yet, but will apply it
for a bit, because I like the Themes I paid for
as soon as I can.

....Now I need to go through the DLC and pick up the last weapons I'm missing so that I don't have that incompleted section marring my 100% on the trophy selection page.
Later.
Because I've played for way too long today. Maybe next week.

Edit: Forgot the most important thing to say, somehow.
SCREW THE BELL WITCHES

CalhounBurns

Neo Member
Congrats Chris. That's a few of us in a week now. It's great that people are still picking this up / going back to it.

I've started a Reiterpallasch build. "Speed running" to get that asap was kind of a pain but worth it and I picked up Evelyn and the Knight set along the way. Had to summon for Amelia and even the Witch of Hemwick was more difficult than I expected at like level 20 with no weapon upgrades.

Originally I was planning a SK/BLT build using the Reiter and Evelyn but the Evelyn seems a bit redundant with the Reiter on hand. Think I will focus on skill to 50 and then put any points beyond that into BLT.

bloodborne_2017021914h7j3f.jpg

His was *brutal* before I learned his moveset. I really liked how after one attack he jumped back while shooting at you - once I learned to immediately dodge towards him after his attack I got a free attack. First phase was pretty manageable after my three deaths.

I killed him on my 5th try and it wasn't so bad after all. Somehow I managed to make him transform to his last phase when he had like 30% HP left because before that I stayed ON HIS ASS and dodged like crazy while constantly hitting him. The key is to not always dodge but circle him on foot as well for free hits.

Once he transformed... oh man. It was literal pandemonium. I just went in for the hits since he had 30% HP left and dodged/healed every other attack.

It's a great and fantastic boss fight in a great, atmospheric scenery. The whole DLC is 11/10. The DLC *IS* Demon's Souls 2 for me.

I made some more pics during my DLC journey.

bloodborne_2017021817cnjmg.jpg

bloodborne_2017021817z7k03.jpg

bloodborne_2017021900sxj8l.jpg

bloodborne_2017021914a9jhp.jpg

bloodborne_2017021914bijyd.jpg

I killed them all. I KILLED THEM ALL. Sweet revenge.

bloodborne_2017021914r7jvy.jpg

bloodborne_201702191427j8k.jpg

The legendary room of Ludwig from which the River of Blood starts to flow. Will be forever engrained in my mind.

bloodborne_201702191528kiz.jpg

bloodborne_2017021915vak08.jpg

bloodborne_2017021915iajii.jpg

The single most atmospheric place in the entire game + DLC. I really love Forbidden Woods and Mensis but this piece takes the cake for being the best.

My final stats:

bloodborne_20170219156tk4i.jpg

- pre Gehrman
- post Chalice Dungeons trophy
- post 100% DLC done

I can now roll on to NG+ to kill Gehrman again and the hidden boss. Then roll on to NG++ for the final "cowardly ending". Hopefully NG+/ NG++ is easy, no? I don't need to do any optional bosses - only main story ones.

grmlin

If it's only for the trophies you don't need to play it again. Just backup your save to an USB stick before killing the last boss and restore it for the other endings.

CalhounBurns

Neo Member
If it's only for the trophies you don't need to play it again. Just backup your save to an USB stick before killing the last boss and restore it for the other endings.

Or if you have PS+ just disable auto uploading for your Bloodborne save, make sure the one in the cloud is where you want it to be and just re-download it to get each ending.

Hopefully NG+/ NG++ is easy, no?

I ran through ng+ last weekend in about 5 hours (no optional bosses). Definitely easier than NG, I think. You know where everything is, you have lots of health and stamina and with even average gems, they make up for the extra health enemies have. I absolutely stomped everything with the Kirkhammer. I haven't tried NG++.

ChrisD

NG+ kicked my butt the first time I reached it, but it was with a Level 90 character. Tried it for funsies with Tanya last night and everything just died. Definitely easier than NG, but very dependent on level range.

Easiest to hardest imo:

Leveled NG+, NG, "Low" level NG+, First run through of NG

Ahh fuck it let's make a list:

BB+DLC > Demon's Souls > BB > DS3 > DS1 > Pac-Man > DS2

BB, just like Demon's Souls is pure horror while Dark Souls 1/2/3 are high fantasy.

psyfi

Banned
Real talk: should I get DS2 for $12 in the next PSN sale? So far I've played Dark Souls and BB, and I loved them both. I'm okay with DS2 being less good than those two, but should I just skip it? Yours is the only judgment I trust, help me out BBGAF.

Weiss

Banned
I feel kind of bad that Bloodborne is one of my all time favourite games, but I'm pretty apathetic on DS1 and didn't like DS3 nearly as much as I wanted to and gave up halfway through. I played a tanky character again and I was so slow and so pathetic that every fight was a chore (also there were enemies that drained your max health just by looking at you and fuck that noise).

I'll probably restart and do a DEX character more in line with Bloodborne.

Real talk: should I get DS2 for $12 in the next PSN sale? So far I've played Dark Souls and BB, and I loved them both. I'm okay with DS2 being less good than those two, but should I just skip it? Yours is the only judgment I trust, help me out BBGAF.
Don't skip it, it's still a good game.

RiggyRob

It's incredible how quickly you can speed through this game on NG+ - just killed Cleric Beast, Father Gascoigne, Vicar Amelia, Blood Starved Beast and Witches of Hemwick within 3 hours while co-oping with Tarkus.

Are there any key item placements that change from NG to NG+?

jviggy43

In general its a fine game and you should enjoy it if youre a fan of DS 1. For 12 dollars I'd say go for it but go in knowing that the majority of people who love it are PvP oriented, as DS 2 is easily the most diverse types of builds. Also ADP needs to be invested in early to give you I frames (bad design for PVE but understandable for PvP)

Deku Tree

Yup if you have the skills to take on all the bosses then you can easily speed run through higher NG cycles by running from boss to boss.

I don't think this game has any item placement changes on higher NG cycles. Just that some one time items turn into those insight wisdom items on the next NG cycle after you have gotten them.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Lost 400k Echoes in a string of stupidity and bad luck. Was traveling through a Loran chalice to get back to the lamp, rather than just MARKING OUT and got shot by some traps which I saw but left up because, "Ah, everything is dead and I'm heading back, it's fine." Well, I also had next to no health and held onto my Vials for the same reason. Shot. Dead. Go back in and try to get them, and the freaking Bell Witches kicked into overdrive and spawned like eight spiders right off the bat that seeked me out and surrounded me.

I'm so peeved right now. That was enough for a level and all the weapons I need for the All Weapons trophy.
If you're doing Loran chalices you should get 400k back in no time. These mobs rain echoes on you.

Thanks that would be awesome. Waking up the doll and not explaining the use of the gun I think we're two not do great design decisions you need to actually have explained to you
The gun use is explained in the tutorial, no? Something about hitting them with the gun right before they attack to stagger them, and staggered enemies being vulnerable to visceral attacks. Could have sworn it was there.

Those sharks are easily the hardest non boss challenge in the souls series, and are harder than most of BBs bosses haha.

On another note 1. mergo's wet nurse is such an incredible design, even if it isn't a very difficult boss and 2. Logarius is much harder as an arcane than other builds ive played with.
No lies detected. Logarius was a pain with my arcane, and I was playing that build in coop too! I barely scratched him with any of my weapons (had no pure physical ones). I usually have no trouble against Logarius but this one time I did struggle.

For sure. DS2 is incredible and packed with content. Just make sure you level up Adaptability every now and then to reach about 99agility as soon as possible so that your dodge-roll is less frustrating (you get more invincibility frames at higher agility, 99 is a good breakpoint) but other than that one questionable gameplay design decision, it's fantastic. For $12 it's a no-brainer.

Do it. It gets a lot of hate and has issues but I still had plenty of fun with it. The game can be frustrating but mostly suffers from comparison to the other games in the series simply because those are some of the best games ever made. It's still good and anyone interested in the series should play it and form their own opinion of it.

psyfi

Banned
Alright, I'm sold. Thanks for the responses!

It's a bummer, I think I'll probably run though BB again on NG+ but I can already feel my interest plummeting. So much of my love for Soulslike games is in the exploration, so NG+ doesn't do a whole lot for me. I'll probably shelve it for a while, play other games, and wait for the DLC to go on sale.

Son Of D

There's something really satisfying about using the Reiterpallasch against Maria and using the transform attack to parry her as she tries to counter you mid combo.

It's incredible how quickly you can speed through this game on NG+ - just killed Cleric Beast, Father Gascoigne, Vicar Amelia, Blood Starved Beast and Witches of Hemwick within 3 hours while co-oping with Tarkus.

Seriously, NG+ is a blast. In 2 hours I am at the Shadows of Yharnam and I had to kill 2 optional bosses (Cleric Beast for Arianna's Quest and BSB for Hypeon Gaol access as I did not explore it on NG only found it *and* for the Old Workshop access for Umbirical Cord, sigh).

BSB died in under 1 minute.

Before I tackle the Shadows I will explore Gaol.

Nev

Banned

BB, just like Demon's Souls is pure horror while Dark Souls 1/2/3 are high fantasy.

I don't think Demon's is "pure horror". I strongly prefer its atmosphere and setting to DS's generic dark high fantasy, but I wouldn't go as far as calling it horror. It's weird/creepy and unsettling based on more medieval fantasy rather than generic high fantasy, imo, which is why it's 1000 times better than Dark in this regard.

Bloodborne on the other hand is pure horror. The only thing stopping that game from being totally terrifying is that you have the means to destroy the enemies easily and you generally don't have to look at them up close.

I haven't played DS3 yet but I agree with the list. I'd put vanilla BB before Demon's though. That game, while great, is way too short compared to the later games. DS2 is a spin-off in my book.

I haven't played DS3 yet but I agree with the list. I'd put vanilla BB before Demon's though. That game, while great, is way too short compared to the later games. DS2 is a spin-off in my book.

Bloodborne is pretty short too if you just do essential stuff though, right?

Central Yarnham - Gascoigne
>
Cathedral Ward - Amelia
>
Forbidden Woods - Shadow of Yarnham
>
Bergenwyrth - Rom, the Cuddly Spider
>
Yahar'gul - The One Reborn
>
Lecture Building
>
Nightmare of Mensis - Micolash - Mergo's Wet Nurse
>
Hunter's Dream - Gerhman

I mean, if you do the bare minimum in the game that's only five substantial areas, three areas which are extremely brief and
a final boss you don't even have to fight
. In Demon's Souls the bare minimum is all of World 1 (four levels) and all three levels of another world in order to reach the Archdemon.

CalhounBurns

Neo Member
There's something really satisfying about using the Reiterpallasch against Maria and using the transform attack to parry her as she tries to counter you mid combo.

I'm looking forward to seeing what it can do against bosses with a weak spot up in the air i.e. One Reborn, Amygdala etc.

And yeah the transform gun short is great for catching faster enemies with a visceral and it makes you feel like a badass.

CalhounBurns

Neo Member
Bloodborne is pretty short too if you just do essential stuff though, right?

Central Yarnham - Gascoigne
>
Cathedral Ward - Amelia
>
Forbidden Woods - Shadow of Yarnham
>
Bergenwyrth - Rom, the Cuddly Spider
>
Yahar'gul - The One Reborn
>
Lecture Building
>
Nightmare of Mensis - Micolash - Mergo's Wet Nurse
>
Hunter's Dream - Gerhman

I mean, if you do the bare minimum in the game that's only five substantial areas, three areas which are extremely brief and
a final boss you don't even have to fight
. In Demon's Souls the bare minimum is all of World 1 (four levels) and all three levels of another world in order to reach the Archdemon.

That and probably the most substantial of those areas (Yahar'gul) has a really easy skip from the first lamp to the boss which can still be performed on the current patch.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.

for me it's DS1 > BB > DS2 > DS3. haven't played Demon's Souls :( i really want to but i'm not buying a PS3 just for it. i'll hope and pray for a remaster or at the very least for it to come to PS now ("omg no it'll be literally unplayable! input lag!")

Top Bottom