• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT+5| Grant Us Eyes!

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
List waaaarz...

BB > DS > DS3 > DeS > DS2

While I did play DeS using an import copy when it was still relatively new and unknown it didn't grab me as much as DS and BB subsequently did.

Guess I don't remember DeS as rosy as other people do but then again I've come to terms that my gaming tastes aren't necessarily always in line with GAF ™.

On that note, I've set aside Nioh for the foreseeable now...so really keen on blasting through BB or DS3 again - Speaking of DS3, why has the DLC been, seemingly, not well received? I've tried my best to avoid any spoilers so I don't know much if anything about the first dlc. The second one is coming soon right?

Seems From has been putting out some high quality DLC so I was a bit bummed to hear Ashes of Ariandel not impressing people.

Pixieking

Banned
Ariandel's a little short, and the enemies/environments got a bit of stick for being samey. I thought it was really good, but it did seem to just... end. Couple that with the high price for it as a single DLC, and people just kicked it in. It's worth playing, though, for sure. Next DLC is due out in about a month - the 28th of March, and looks far far better.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Ariandel's a little short, and the enemies/environments got a bit of stick for being samey. I thought it was really good, but it did seem to just... end. Couple that with the high price for it as a single DLC, and people just kicked it in. It's worth playing, though, for sure. Next DLC is due out in about a month - the 28th of March, and looks far far better.

Ah suspected as much, which is why I'm so happy the BB DLC was a chunky, one and done one. Hopefully the second DS3 DLC 'builds' upon the 1st one? Or is somehow tangentially related at least.

Then I have a wonderful reason to play BB again during this upcoming month.

I just want the v4.5 firmware to release so I can enjoy boostmode BB.

NG+ report:

- died once to One Reborn because did not notice my weapon broke during the level before (it has 2x Cursed Gems (+18% ATK) with -50 Durability so -100 Durability together). I was fighting him pretty good - he was down to 20% HP - but then he did this new puke attack and I could not roll out of the puke lake fast enough and died. The 2nd time after I repaired Ludwig he was super easy.

- died once to Rom because fuck those little spiders. The 2nd time I killed them all and then killed Rom.

- died once to Shadows of Yharnam because they are actually kind of hard boss battle. I wanted to kill the sword one first just like in NG but I failed and they ganged up on me and killed me. The 2nd time I killed the mage first and then just withered the other two little by little. I kind of fear this fight in NG++.

I'm in Mensis now, have 2 Cords and just need the last one for the "secret ending".

LVL152 by the way,

Pixieking

Banned
Ah suspected as much, which is why I'm so happy the BB DLC was a chunky, one and done one. Hopefully the second DS3 DLC 'builds' upon the 1st one? Or is somehow tangentially related at least.

I've don't believe it's related, sadly. But the second one does look way more meaty than Ariandel. Technically, its name is a spoiler, but if you crack and Google it, it'll give you some idea of what it's about/where its based.

Nev

Banned
Bloodborne is pretty short too if you just do essential stuff though, right?

If you don't play the optional stuff (even if I don't think it's short at all, especially not when you think of the incredibly huge chalice dungeons). Demon's is just what it is. No optional areas, no dungeons.

bloodborne_2017021915iajii.jpg

I completed the game 4 times and I didn't know Kos -or some say Kosm- had a human face. Wow.

NG++ report :)

Gascoigne down. Used 1 vial only.

I really want to get the platinum today. Gonna rush through all the required bosses - I only need to kill the Nurse for the trophy as I killed Moon Presence in NG+ (she dropped 690k Souls (!!!)).

Of course Micolash was simply unbeatable on NG+ (he OHKO'd me 4 times, instantly) until I started using... the Loch Shield and simply blocked his AoE. Wow. Could not imagine killing him without that shield!

The God

So I'm trying to get back into doing chalice dungeons and I'm lost. I want to do the Ailing Loran but I can't find the materials (Ritual blood 4). What do I do?

ChrisD

NG++ report :)

Gascoigne down. Used 1 vial only.

I really want to get the platinum today. Gonna rush through all the required bosses - I only need to kill the Nurse for the trophy as I killed Moon Presence in NG+ (she dropped 690k Souls (!!!)).

Of course Micolash was simply unbeatable on NG+ (he OHKO'd me 4 times, instantly) until I started using... the Loch Shield and simply blocked his AoE. Wow. Could not imagine killing him without that shield!

I saw someone mention in the most recent LTTP thread that they use Beast Roar to kill Micolash easily. It works really well on Hunter-type enemies, so I can definitely see how it'd work against him since he's the same. Blades of Mercy work best for me with the combo because of their higher speed and lower stamina cost.

But a Shield does feel a lot less cheesy, so I'll have to do that if I ever do a + playthrough.

Solo

So I'm playing for the first time and I have defeated Cleric Beast, Father G, Blood Starved Beast, the Witch, and most recently Vicar Amelia, which triggered a cutscene. And now....where do I go? I can't seem to find the next area I'm supposed to open up/explore.

Saya

So I'm playing for the first time and I have defeated Cleric Beast, Father G, Blood Starved Beast, the Witch, and most recently Vicar Amelia, which triggered a cutscene. And now....where do I go? I can't seem to find the next area I'm supposed to open up/explore.

I think you can go to Old Yarnham or the Forbidden Woods if you haven't yet. Both are accessible from Cathedral Ward, but to get to the Forbidden Woods
you will have had to interact with the skull after defeating Vicar Amelia in the church to receive the password. The door is nearby the Alfred NPC.

I also returned to Bloodborne after a long hiatus. I'm doing the chalice dungeons now and just finished the Amygdala fight, which was fun. I have a crapload of insight (about 90) and no idea what to spend it on. I've already bought all the available armor sets... I guess there are blood chunks and blood rocks I can buy? What do you guys use your insight on? I never summon, so I don't need it for that either.

I think you can go to Old Yarnham or the Forbidden Woods if you haven't yet. Both are accessible from Cathedral Ward, but to get to the Forbidden Woods
you will have had to interact with the skull after defeating Vicar Amelia in the church to receive the password. The door is nearby the Alfred NPC.

I also returned to Bloodborne after a long hiatus. I'm doing the chalice dungeons now and just finished the Amygdala fight, which was fun. I have a crapload of insight (about 90) and no idea what to spend it on. I've already bought all the available armor sets... I guess there are blood chunks and blood rocks I can buy? What do you guys use your insight on? I never summon, so I don't need it for that either.

Save it for a blood rock! There's only one in the game and one in the DLC.

Why is it that Bloodborne, out of all the souls games, has actually grabbed me as hard as it has?

I've played every single souls games, from DeS to DS3, and Bloodborne just has this... Something that makes me want to just keep playing.

Solo

I touched the skull and saw a cutscene but I dont recall a password....what was it and where do I use it?

In old Yharnam I feel like Ive explored most places but clearly I'll have to go through it again.

I saw someone mention in the most recent LTTP thread that they use Beast Roar to kill Micolash easily. It works really well on Hunter-type enemies, so I can definitely see how it'd work against him since he's the same. Blades of Mercy work best for me with the combo because of their higher speed and lower stamina cost.

But a Shield does feel a lot less cheesy, so I'll have to do that if I ever do a + playthrough.

The NG++ bosses are no joke. They have billions of HP and hit like a truck.

Amelia++ was harder than Ludwig IMO. I used almost all my vials and was very close to dying a couple of times and just mashed heal button.

Shadows of Yharnam++ took forever - I think around 20 minutes - because I had to play it super safe and attack only within clear openings. They had a ton of health as well.

Now onto Rom++, I am going to kill those spiders as the first thing in the fight - not going to risk it.

Then Micolash :/ :\ :| :(

Saya

I touched the skull and saw a cutscene but I dont recall a password....what was it and where do I use it?

In old Yharnam I feel like Ive explored most places but clearly I'll have to go through it again.

In Cathedral Ward, nearby two giants in the central square, there is a narrow path leading to an NPC, follow the path to a closed door that will open after interacting with it.

There is also a boss in Old Yharnam, Darkbeast Paarl, if you haven't killed him yet you could go for him.

CHC

Man starting a new Arcane build in this is just so.... Mother. Fucking. Difficult.

You're just pure shit, 100% garbage, for like 70% of the game. What a pain in the ass.

psyfi

Banned

I got stuck at this exact spot. I had found the door I needed to go to but it was like at least 12 hours before I found the password and I totally forgot where to go, haha.

grmlin

Man starting a new Arcane build in this is just so.... Mother. Fucking. Difficult.

You're just pure shit, 100% garbage, for like 70% of the game. What a pain in the ass.

What? Arcane with fire gem or bolt or flame sprayer is basically easy mode against beasts and especially early bosses.

I stopped playing it later because the spells are way too weak for the amount of bullets they use.

And done!!! Finally! I can get get back to my life from this nightmarish game.

img_6775v8agp.jpg

img_6776sjyjo.jpg

You can now join the family :)

img_4948fka22.jpg

img_49472rycz.jpg

---

img_4946nmlhu.jpg

img_4945j8xwm.jpg

---

img_495071lvn.jpg

img_4949l0x9t.jpg

---

img_65819aojx.jpg

img_6584trpok.jpg

95 + 146 + 139 +122 +75 = 577 hours of pure Souls enjoyment across 3 different consoles :)

The only Souls game I did not play yet is DS3 1st DLC - waiting for the 2nd DLC to drop then I will buy it.

CalhounBurns

Neo Member
So I'm trying to get back into doing chalice dungeons and I'm lost. I want to do the Ailing Loran but I can't find the materials (Ritual blood 4). What do I do?

Clear out all the treasure rooms in Central Pthumeru (I think there are some hidden behind illusory walls) and you will have enough Ritual Blood (4) to create Ailing Loran.

I had the exact same problem when I tried to speedrun the last two floors of Central Pthumeru to the boss levers and just fight the bosses.

As a general rule of thumb if you're following the critical path down the chalice dungeons, as long as you clear them up you should never need to farm materials.

Weiss

Banned
I thought it was a decent enough fight. Certainly not difficult, but between the Bell Maidens and just how gross the thing is I had fun.

It's in the lower echelon of the game's bosses, though.

DiddyBop

Finished up the game+ DLC today after playing for a few weeks on and off. To think i had this game sitting around since December 2015 unplayed because I was frustrated i couldn't block and really could not beat the first big hooded Ogre guy with the axe...180 to now where I beat all bosses, got most of the weapons and actually strived for the 3rd ending.

I don't know what it is about this game, but after I finished I immediately started NG+, something with the game just grabbed ahold of me and hasn't let go. The story, lore, and the absolutely phenomenal gameplay can't be praised enough. Pretty sure my previous post gushed over the same things and it still holds true.

What an experience.

jviggy43

Having trouble getting my MLGS to dish out enough damage. The sword is +10 amd I have 41 str and 34 Arc but its damage output is awful. Amy places to farm for gems? Im also rather under leveled, 77 at KoS.

DeaDPo0L84

I am always down to help in this game, beaten it twice so if someone wants help or just someone to run around with lemme know. My PSN is my username here.

Having trouble getting my MLGS to dish out enough damage. The sword is +10 amd I have 41 str and 34 Arc but its damage output is awful. Amy places to farm for gems? Im also rather under leveled, 77 at KoS.

You need like 45 on Str and Arc to make it work, you are too low on stats, dont forget the base weapon uses Str and on its transform mode the weapon uses Arc

jviggy43

You need like 45 on Str and Arc to make it work, you are too low on stats, dont forget the base weapon uses Str and on its transform mode the weapon uses Arc

Thats what I figured honestly. Time to tmake Kos a 2 hour fight haha

Also do people run chalice dungeons here? I'd love to co op some.

grmlin

The one reborn is the opposite of fun.

the only boss in the game I never died to.

Kill the bell women first, then the one reborn. What's your stats like? Fire/Bold paper and beast pellets help a ton.

If you are a strength char I can't recommend the Whirligig enough, that was by far the quickest kill of that boss. It's pretty easy to get in the DLC if you know where to run to.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
So I encountered Ludwig yesterday for the first time and eh, he is quiet something. Which level do you guys recommend?

Kill the bell women first, then the one reborn. What's your stats like? Fire/Bold paper and beast pellets help a ton.

I would just run to his backside and just hit him all the time withouth thinking. Even when you get hit by the bell women, you should recover fast enough.

Milijango

Get your skill up to 25 before levelling those stats any further to get the most damage out of it. That's just how the stat softcaps work.

So I encountered Ludwig yesterday for the first time and eh, he is quiet something. Which level do you guys recommend?

On regular NG difficulty? I did it at 55 but the intended range seems like it's 70-100. The quality of your blood gems is another thing to consider since he has so much health. +10-15% each should be plenty.

grmlin

I would just run to his backside and just hit him all the time withouth thinking. Even when you get hit by the bell women, you should recover fast enough.

I actually never tried that, I will the next time ;)

Saya

Ok, so I have vanilla Bloodborne. And I am thinking of picking up the GOTY edition for The Old Hunters DLC. Will my vanilla BB save work with the GOTY edition or do I have to start over again?

Ok, so I have vanilla Bloodborne. And I am thinking of picking up the GOTY edition for The Old Hunters DLC. Will my vanilla BB save work with the GOTY edition or do I have to start over again?

It works but you can't go back, I think. I had the same situation :)

Not compatible, sorry. I had this same issue when I sold my vanilla disc version and rebought the GotY digital version a few months ago.

Okay, now I'm confused. My save file was not compatible with the GotY version when I bought that. Although I did go from physical to digital.

Saya

What do you mean with can't go back? Back to playing the vanilla game again? If so, that's ok. No problem for me.

Are there any differences in the main game between the two versions?

Not compatible, sorry. I had this same issue when I sold my vanilla disc version and rebought the GotY digital version a few months ago.

Okay, now I'm confused. My save file was not compatible with the GotY version when I bought that. Although I did go from physical to digital.

Hmm, could it be an issue with physical and digital versions? I want to pick up the disc version. I'll wait for more confirmation first...

Damn, Ailing Loran Chalice 2 is kicking my arse. I'm working from home today and stopped for a quick play to run through a dungeon, and (partly because I was trying to rush) kept dying stupid deaths. There's two Bell Summoners in there who were summoning those fucking red spiders, and at one point there were about six of them coming for me and they all got stuck in the doorway as there were too many to get through. And then I got to the Blood Starved Beast, who I got down to about 1/3 health and died to its fucking poison.

Damn, Ailing Loran Chalice 2 is kicking my arse. I'm working from home today and stopped for a quick play to run through a dungeon, and (partly because I was trying to rush) kept dying stupid deaths. There's two Bell Summoners in there who were summoning those fucking red spiders, and at one point there were about six of them coming for me and they all got stuck in the doorway as there were too many to get through. And then I got to the Blood Starved Beast, who I got down to about 1/3 health and died to its fucking poison.

I remember that. I am casually opening some door and RIGHT BEHIND IT 8 SPIDERS FUCK MY LIFE. I had to run all the way back killing them one by one and then go back to the room and find the Bell Maiden.

Oops, the spiders KEEP ON COMING!!! WTF!!!

Then I discovered there were 2 Bell Maidens in that one shitty room... holy shit what a trap!

I remember that. I am casually opening some door and RIGHT BEHIND IT 8 SPIDERS FUCK MY LIFE. I had to run all the way back killing them one by one and then go back to the room and find the Bell Maiden.

Oops, the spiders KEEP ON COMING!!! WTF!!!

Then I discovered there were 2 Bell Maidens in that one shitty room... holy shit what a trap!

Yeah; every subsequent time I went there I just sprinted up the stairs, straight into that room and killed the two summoners before anything else. Bastard fucking spiders; they hit like tanks. I've got just over 1500 health and they must do 800-900 damage with one hit.

Anyway, I finished that whole dungeon now. I've just created the Cursed and Defiled Pthumerian Chalice but I don't think that's the one for the Pthumerian Queen as it only has a depth of 4. Probably got 3 more to run through, not counting any material farming I may need to do. Enjoying it much more taking my time through the Chalice Dungeons, although when I'm done here I may take a break before coming back to finish off the DLC. I'm literally just past Ludwig.

Also, those savage frenzied Pthumerians who run at you really fast are very creepy and cool. Tough to take down too. I like that they're used only sporadically.

CalhounBurns

Neo Member
Hmm, could it be an issue with physical and digital versions? I want to pick up the disc version. I'll wait for more confirmation first...

I started playing the game with the vanilla disc version which I borrowed from a friend, then I bought the digital GOTY edition when it came on sale, and my save worked fine.

What do you mean with can't go back? Back to playing the vanilla game again? If so, that's ok. No problem for me.

Are there any differences in the main game between the two versions?

Basically your save gets updated to work with the DLC data so you can see DLC gear even if you dont own the DLC there is really no problem if you play physical or digital since both versions installs the DLC on the console as long as you have the DLC or the recent update in your console.

The problem resides if you own the DLC , got some new DLC toys and armor then for whatever reason you play the vanilla game without the DLC data installed on the console, it makes your save unplayable due the lack of DLC data installed.

Phaenos

Yeah; every subsequent time I went there I just sprinted up the stairs, straight into that room and killed the two summoners before anything else. Bastard fucking spiders; they hit like tanks. I've got just over 1500 health and they must do 800-900 damage with one hit.

If I recall correctly, there's a ladder somewhere nearby leading to a lower level. I'd partially climb down the ladder and then inch my way back up to the top just before climbing up and the spiders would attempt to attack me but miss, plummeting to the level below. Once all the spiders were below, I could safely dispatch the witches without having to worry about them.

Haha I literally experienced the same thing for the first time last night. Those spiders are awful.

Keeper of the Old Lords - 2
Triggerhappytel - 0

Now on to my second rematch...

Edit:

Fuck. 3-0.

4-0. Trying to parry her but my timing isn't great as I haven't really done this at all through the whole game.

5-0. I fucking hate this artificial difficulty of cutting your health in half. It's bullshit.

I've lost count now. Died about 8 times, I think.

Top Bottom