• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT+5| Grant Us Eyes!

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
To be clear I've gotten to the ladder but every time I try to fight that guy he just owns me super hard, and I don't wanna fight the other guy at the bottom because the gunner on top is just gonna come at me like Mac in Predator. I guess this is just gonna boil down to git gud, but the transition from Souls to Bloodborne hasn't been easy.

Explore the rest of Old Yharnam then come back for him if anything. He's extremely powerful when you first face but a bit more manageable when you come back.

DAMN. Impressive. My first play through took me 30+ hours probably, haha.

80+ hours for my first playthrough but it was my first Souls to completion and I explored everything taking my time.

I can't remember the last time I got Micolash into the final room. I don't know what it is about that fight but I continually fuck it up. He usually glitches out for me on the mirrors, keeps trying to leap through them but my attacks stop him which does something to the AI and makes him not run away.

He's easy once you know the pattern. I killed him just a few days ago. Keep strafing to his left and bait him in using his leg stomp. You can get a few hits in every time. When he starts jumping around, stand still and use the R2 charge attack.

I ended up just cheesing him with Moonlight blasts and Call From Beyond. The majority of the fight isn't that big of an issue, there was just way too many times I had him at 10% health and then ran into something random and got one-shotted. Now I find out that I need to farm this guy for Cursed Nourishing Gems so I better git gud :( .

I finally got my character to what I believe is the best stat distribution for Holy Moonlight Sword.

BL150
VIT 50
END 20
STR 50
SKL 25
BLT 5
ARC 50

This was originally supposed to be mostly an arcane build but man, getting good Arcane gems is a total pain in the ass. I have a few decent bolt gems ( 20-21%) but my fire gems are all low (10-14%). I'm finding it more beneficial to just use the cleaver with cursed physical % gems + fire paper than to actually gem it with fire.

BSB is when I broke down and finally started summoning co-op players. It made the fight way better, and from then on I summoned help for nearly every boss battle.

Okay, so confession time: I don't like boss fights in any game all that much, including Soulslike games. I know that's sacrilege around these parts, but man, they're just not my thing. My love for Souls games is in the exploration, discovery, atmosphere, and combat against normal enemies. The bosses are fun, but I don't get nearly as much out of them as the entire rest of the game. So I fully endorse cheaping out on the boss fights. No shame. You do you.

I actually always have a bit of trouble of BSB everytime - I do well for 90% of the fight and then get one shotted by his grab because I'm careless.

As far as the bosses in this game go, I find that most of them aren't that impressive in the main game. The fights in the first half are great, and then once you hit
Rom
, I think the quality of the bosses takes a nosedive, with one exception
Gehrman
. Luckily that's padded out with the fantastic DLC bosses, where there is really only one feels totally wasted.

psyfi

Banned
Okay, you know those standard bipedal village dudes that are in the Central Yarnham area? Every so often one of them say "This is a bad _____" and I have NO IDEA what the last word is. This has been bugging me ever since I started the game a month ago, haha. Anyone know?

Okay, you know those standard bipedal village dudes that are in the Central Yarnham area? Every so often one of them say "This is a bad _____" and I have NO IDEA what the last word is. This has been bugging me ever since I started the game a month ago, haha. Anyone know?

Who? the villagers or the giant guys?

Dave_6

BSB is when I broke down and finally started summoning co-op players. It made the fight way better, and from then on I summoned help for nearly every boss battle.

Okay, so confession time: I don't like boss fights in any game all that much, including Soulslike games. I know that's sacrilege around these parts, but man, they're just not my thing. My love for Souls games is in the exploration, discovery, atmosphere, and combat against normal enemies. The bosses are fun, but I don't get nearly as much out of them as the entire rest of the game. So I fully endorse cheaping out on the boss fights. No shame. You do you.

Tried BSB three more times, using Alfred the first two. Died on both of those and that was the last of my insight, though I still have 5 Madman's Knowledge. Said screw it, I'm going in solo. Wound up beating him on my first solo attempt and it actually wasn't too bad.

Problem now is I've gotten low on blood vials. Anywhere I can farm them?

jviggy43

I ended up just cheesing him with Moonlight blasts and Call From Beyond. The majority of the fight isn't that big of an issue, there was just way too many times I had him at 10% health and then ran into something random and got one-shotted. Now I find out that I need to farm this guy for Cursed Nourishing Gems so I better git gud :( .

I finally got my character to what I believe is the best stat distribution for Holy Moonlight Sword.

BL150
VIT 50
END 20
STR 50
SKL 25
BLT 5
ARC 50

This was originally supposed to be mostly an arcane build but man, getting good Arcane gems is a total pain in the ass. I have a few decent bolt gems ( 20-21%) but my fire gems are all low (10-14%). I'm finding it more beneficial to just use the cleaver with cursed physical % gems + fire paper than to actually gem it with fire.

I actually always have a bit of trouble of BSB everytime - I do well for 90% of the fight and then get one shotted by his grab because I'm careless.

As far as the bosses in this game go, I find that most of them aren't that impressive in the main game. The fights in the first half are great, and then once you hit
Rom
, I think the quality of the bosses takes a nosedive, with one exception
Gehrman
. Luckily that's padded out with the fantastic DLC bosses, where there is really only one feels totally wasted.

Yeah I got my Arc character 50 Str/50Arc but the Arc at 50 isn't really that great with a lot of the pure arc tools so Im thinking of making another character and going something insane like 90 arc. Problem is I dont want to go over 120 because I want these characters to be able to PvP.

jviggy43

The giant ogre guys outside of house with the guy in a wheel chair are perfect for blood vile farming, and the werewolves on the bridge near there drop 4 a pop as well.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
i prefer playing solo but playing co op is a load of fun too. doesn't bother me either way really.

Same here, but the with the pervasive challenge component of the series I don't want anyone to immediately 'show' me how to defeat a boss I want to learn the ropes myself.

And then when I've actually mastered a boss I have no issues with summoning just to make it a bit less harrowing sometimes...

Same here, but the with the pervasive challenge component of the series I don't want anyone to immediately 'show' me how to defeat a boss I want to learn the ropes myself.

And then when I've actually mastered a boss I have no issues with summoning just to make it a bit less harrowing sometimes...

I tend to "guide" my hosts in Dark Souls coop, in Bloodborne I just let them get hit but Ludwig hooves o let them figure out how Rom works before cleaning the spiders

CalhounBurns

Neo Member
Little bit OT but have any of you guys played Nioh and if so what do you think of it?

I'm just coming to the end of SKL/BLT playthrough in Bloodborne (a new character after getting my platinum with my pure STR build last week) and I don't really feel like playing any more DS3 - I enjoyed the game but there aren't any weapons that inspire me to play it again with a different build.

Nioh looks tempting. I only managed to play about half an hour of the last chance trial and something about it kind of put me off even after that brief period, but I've heard the finished game a bit different to the trials?

Little bit OT but have any of you guys played Nioh and if so what do you think of it?

I have the game but don't have time for it right now. I want to finish up with Bloodborne in time for Horizon, then finish up with Gravity Rush 2 and have some time to dedicate to Nioh properly, as it seems like it has deep and complex systems so I'll need to give it undivided attention.

Anyway, I didn't get a chance to play last night, but will go and beat the Watchdog in C&D Pthumerian Chalice level 2. Anyone able to help me? I'm in the UK and will be online in about 12 hours.

CalhounBurns

Neo Member
I have the game but don't have time for it right now. I want to finish up with Bloodborne in time for Horizon, then finish up with Gravity Rush 2 and have some time to dedicate to Nioh properly, as it seems like it has deep and complex systems so I'll need to give it undivided attention.

Anyway, I didn't get a chance to play last night, but will go and beat the Watchdog in C&D Pthumerian Chalice level 2. Anyone able to help me? I'm in the UK and will be online in about 12 hours.

I might be around to help you with Watchdog later. Have you given it a go solo? I thought it was one of the more enjoyable boss fights in the game - it has zero bullshit and is a very "learnable" fight. He has lots of tells, almost all his moves are highly telegraphed. Sanadsk has a brilliant strategy video for it if you want to study and try and beat it alone before seeking coop help.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDSo2ihk1Zo

Pixieking

Banned

I'm just coming to the end of SKL/BLT playthrough in Bloodborne (a new character after getting my platinum with my pure STR build last week) and I don't really feel like playing any more DS3 - I enjoyed the game but there aren't any weapons that inspire me to play it again with a different build.

Nioh looks tempting. I only managed to play about half an hour of the last chance trial and something about it kind of put me off even after that brief period, but I've heard the finished game a bit different to the trials?

I really really don't like Nioh.

It feels like a 3D roaming version of a classic side-scrolling beat 'em up - Final Fight or Golden Axe. Loot drops are... generic. Where almost everything in SoulsBorne could have a use, Nioh just favours quantity over applicability. Environments are creatively bland. Enemies are generic. Combat is both over-complicated, and boring. Level design is obvious - the first couple of hours of Bloodborne are labyrinthine. The first couple of hours of Nioh are "I expect there's a dead-end down here with a chest. Oh look, I was right."

Certainly, comparing it to SoulsBorne isn't ever going to be favourable to a game (for those who like SoulsBorne :p ), but I feel it's a tremendous step-down in quality considering BB was released... how many years ago? And especially since I saw reviewers comparing Nioh in style and substance to SoulsBorne games.

the labyrinth madmen are scary as fuck. why did they waste these enemies on chalice dungeons?
sagerushcrop3r2j1x.png

Sweet dreams.

I might be around to help you with Watchdog later. Have you given it a go solo? I thought it was one of the more enjoyable boss fights in the game - it has zero bullshit and is a very "learnable" fight. He has lots of tells, almost all his moves are highly telegraphed. Sanadsk has a brilliant strategy video for it if you want to study and try and beat it alone before seeking coop help.

Yeah, I've fought it a few times solo, but I get impatient and keep rushing in for cheeky hits which ends up getting me killed. I've had my fill now and am kind of just trying to get to the end. Also, very much not a fan of the Curse cutting my health in half! :(

sagerushcrop3r2j1x.png

Sweet dreams.

Good lord.

But yeah, love these enemies. They should have replaced Snatchers in the main game after you defeat Rom.

Jobbs

Banned
I know some people love Nioh but I can only speak for myself when I say I found it to feel like a c-tier knockoff. After playing games as rich and beautiful and meticulous as DS3/BB I just can't take the downgrade to stiff animation, bland levels, uninteresting preset character, and boring combat and itemization.

Just came back to finish the DLC for this game after about a year away. Started a whole new character. Skill build. Finally just beat the
Orphan of Kos and Laurence
and got the final trophies.

What a game.

Pixieking

Banned
The Nioh hate here makes me sad. It's a fantastic game, you guys are nuts. Oh well.

It was pointed out to me in the OT awhile back, and I do agree somewhat - my opinion of Nioh is coloured tremendously by treating it as a SoulsBorne game. As I note up the page, that's because reviewers touted it as a SoulsBorne game, sadly. But, considering I bought Digital, I'm stuck with it, I'll certainly give it another go in a few months time, when it's less at the forefront of my mind.

In the meantime, NG+ in BB is the first NG+ I've done in a SoulsBorne. It's a very lean game - even with the DLC and optional bosses, there's no annoying "fat" like the Dark Souls games, so it's really enjoyable.

Plus, my wife enjoys watching me play - scary monsters and me dying lots are apparently things she enjoys watching. :D

h0tp0ck3t

Kind of a vague question here but anyone know of any enemies around the Forbidden Woods portion of the story that drop waning gems? I just got my third slot for Ludwig's Holy Blade and I only have one gem for that slot but it switches to arcane damage which I didn't level at all lol

Melchiah

Kind of a vague question here but anyone know of any enemies around the Forbidden Woods portion of the story that drop waning gems? I just got my third slot for Ludwig's Holy Blade and I only have one gem for that slot but it switches to arcane damage which I didn't level at all lol

Here's a useful spreadsheet.
At the bottom of the spreadsheet, you can change it to whatever type (bolt, fire, arcane, phys, etc) you want to look for. Gem combos are sorted from how early you can obtain them. Pretty helpful.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Morrigan, if you would compare Nioh to a Souls game to which one is it the closest? I need this information.
That's hard to answer. Maybe Bloodborne, since the combat in Nioh is more aggressive and fast-paced, however, you can also block in Nioh and it's actually a very useful and important mechanic too, but without making it a really "defensive" play style unlike in Souls games.

In terms of level design and atmosphere, it's unlike any of the Soulsborne games, it's its own thing as each level is self-contained, but main mission levels are quite large (at least as big as a Demon's Souls level I'd say) with multiple shrines (aka bonfires) and shortcuts and can take up to an hour to explore fully the first time (and can be run in minutes when you know what to do). Someone said the levels are simple whereas Yharnam is labyrinthine, but that's clearly someone who has played maybe one or two levels, as some of the later levels are really maze-like, with multiple interconnected paths, verticality, etc.

Bosses are probably closest to being like Dark Souls 1 or 2, with a roughly equal mix of duels vs humanoids and battles against larger monster-types. That said I haven't finished the game yet so maybe it skews differently in end-game, but I'm quite far into it I think.

The most common criticism is the lack of enemy variety, and I can't lie, this is true. Souls games all blow Nioh out of the water with this. But the satisfying combat and addictive loot continue to make Nioh really compelling regardless.

Are the lower Chalice dungeons the only way to get top tier blood gems? I've gone through them once on my first character, but I don't really want to slog through them on my new one.

Deku Tree

I love Nioh. Certain things are worse than Bloodborne. But it is a fresh experience and I love the diablo 3 style loot end game. I was also a big Ninja Gaiden fan.

Are the lower Chalice dungeons the only way to get top tier blood gems? I've gone through them once on my first character, but I don't really want to slog through them on my new one.

If you have the DLC then the winter lanterns near the end of the DLC drop gems with a high drop rate that are really good enough to get you through even NG++

Oidisco

Just beat the Orphan of Kos. Super tough fight though I had a little bit more trouble with Maria. Just need to beat that optional boss and I'll be done with the DLC and can go back to finishing the main game.

I'm probably gonna be a bit over-leveled.

Thanks, by the way; I ended up killing the bastard with the help of an NPC Hunter. I died an awful lot to the bloody thing (probably about 20 times), but mostly it was because I was playing poorly and being impatient and getting hit at stupid times. Played a bit more carefully and beat it without too much trouble.

Now on to level 3.

CHC

Kinda getting fully re-addicted to this game, mostly had stopped playing after I completed the DLC and all of the Chalice Dungeons.

Oh.....

Mannnnnnnn.....

Beast's Embrace with the Claw is so fucking nuts. Absolutely wild. Hit that shit with some Fire Paper and then walloped Vicar Amelia with a multi R1 into visceral combo for seven fucking thousand damage.

Pixieking

Banned
I never use 80% of the drops in BB.

My not-use rate is probably about the same? Maybe slightly lower? But that's partly because of my playstyle and my unwillingness to traipse all the way back to Hunter's Dream to just switch out a single rune/armour/accessory weapon.

Nioh just drops mostly junk. Armor drops in the later stages of level 1 can be worse than the drops in the early stages of level 1. What is the point in that? Why not just spread drops out more? And it's not like you can just pick everything up and sort it later - I actually ran out of room in my inventory halfway through a level.

Melchiah

Those madmen are actually mad women.

I haven't seen any reference to that.

Here's a photo I took of the official guide:
K9Dy3o2.jpg

Some of these are news to me though...
http://bloodborne.wiki.fextralife.com/Madman
  • A variation wields a corpse wrapped in bandages. This particular version leaves poisonous clouds with each swing which inflicts Rapid Poison
  • They wear a tattered chainmail that is identical to what Tomb Guardians wear.
  • Sages babble to themselves and their hands twitch lively. Both signs are known as chorea and occur in human psychosis.
  • The corpse that some wield is still alive, it moans and flexes its neck independent of the Sage.

CHC

My Arcane build is finally starting to take shape. Augur of Ebrietas is a massive game changer. My god I'm addicted to it.... Augur to the back followed by a transformed Tonitrus visceral attack - satisfying beyond words.

Arcane was definitely a bit of a slog before getting some of the Hunter tools but this is now starting to become pretty amazingly enjoyable to play.

Dave_6

Well I died to an enemy I've never faced before and then there was a small cutscene. Looks like I'm in a jail cell or something. Guessing I'm screwed now huh?

horkrux

Well I died to an enemy I've never faced before and then there was a small cutscene. Looks like I'm in a jail cell or something. Guessing I'm screwed now huh?

No, consider yourself lucky. Not everyone gets to experience that the first time around ;)

Top Bottom