• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT+5| Grant Us Eyes!

CalhounBurns

Neo Member
Beat Logarius with my SKL build last night. When I first played the game I thought that was one of the hardest bosses - definitely one that gave me my most deaths. Absolutely rinsed him with the Reiterpallasch.

The way visceral attacks scale from the skill stat is a massive game changer coming from a strength build.

The Reiterpallasch being able to use fire and bolt buffed bullets makes it so versatile. I beat Amygdala using almost all bullets and just going in for viscerals and I can imagine it'll make One Reborn a walk in the park as well.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Anyone who managed sucessfully to take a break from the game at a late point in the game and managed to return without much lost of skill? Cause I feel burned out after three months of Bloodborne ( I have not much time currently and am often not in the mood that this games need) and I think I need to play something else in between.

Ennosuke

I sold Bloodborne in May 2015, after I spent 10 hours with it. I had fun, but I did not have the time and it felt stressful to me. However after not really feeling the combat of Souls 3, I felt the need to get back into Bloodborne. I bought the Steelbook Edition (used) for a few Euros and now want to play it again. However it turns out it is a tough challenge, because I can't barely remember what I have done last and what needs to be done next. Oh and of course I forgot all details about how to skill my character or what even the controls are :(

Trying my best now, I know I beat the beast boss, but looking now into walkthroughs to get an idea what I should do now.

Anyone who managed sucessfully to take a break from the game at a late point in the game and managed to return without much lost of skill? Cause I feel burned out after three months of Bloodborne ( I have not much time currently and am often not in the mood that this games need) and I think I need to play something else in between.
I got distracted my first play through...was about 60-70% finished and stopped playing. Coming back skill-wise no issue at all. It took me very little time to be back up to snuff. The real pain in the ass was remembering where I'd left off to pick it back up. I spent about 2-3 play sessions figuring out where I was. If you take a break, as silly as it sounds, leave yourself a note or something about what you were about to do next in the story. Unless you're at the end and just doing chalice dungeons, then all of this is moot.
I sold Bloodborne in May 2015, after I spent 10 hours with it. I had fun, but I did not have the time and it felt stressful to me. However after not really feeling the combat of Souls 3, I felt the need to get back into Bloodborne. I bought the Steelbook Edition (used) for a few Euros and now want to play it again. However it turns out it is a tough challenge, because I can't barely remember what I have done last and what needs to be done next. Oh and of course I forgot all details about how to skill my character or what even the controls are :(

Trying my best now, I know I beat the beast boss, but looking now into walkthroughs to get an idea what I should do now.
What beast boss? Like the very first boss on the bridge? If so, I would almost suggest just re-starting from scratch since that is so early in.

Ennosuke

I looked it up, it is the Blood-starved Beast. I can't really recall if this was literally the last thing I did or if I tried to get to the next area.

So the IGN Guide suggest to go next to Healing Church Workshop or Hemwick Charnel Lane. They also mention: Vicar Amelia but I can't remember beating this boss.

I looked up a video for the Healing Church Workshop and I think I can remember going up to that Tower. I am confused, damn :)

They are black metal guys.

Prove me wrong

They need more style like this guy

wnhr7zp52nkfkpnw2vkm.gif

Whew, found the lamp upstairs. Damn this game.

Personal opinion,
The lamp shouldnt take you home like its nearly right away when you escape, maybe a miniquest to light up the lamp then escape

jviggy43

No, consider yourself lucky. Not everyone gets to experience that the first time around ;)

If by experience you mean deathly worried I was trapped in a place very clearly above my level at the time and had no way out (Yeah it took me awhile to find the lamppost in that area the first time). God that place was terrifying; even more so when it happened to me like day 1 of release so I had like, no one to fall back on to help me out with advice.

Dave_6

The Unseen Village is a really stressful place the first time you end up there, but in actuality the lamp to warp back out is pretty close to where you start.

I kept trying to go down through the prison looking area and there's two snatchers in there that I couldn't do anything with. Glad I finally went upstairs for once.

I'm now in Hemwick and can't get past the two executioner looking guys. Damn they are a bitch.

I kept trying to go down through the prison looking area and there's two snatchers in there that I couldn't do anything with. Glad I finally went upstairs for once.

I'm now in Hemwick and can't get past the two executioner looking guys. Damn they are a bitch.

I hope you snatched Tonitrus and an Armor before leaving

Stuck with it a bit more and kinda got the feel for the game again (took about a month long break from it so maybe thats why I was so lost and frustrated)

Kinda payed a bit more attention to my items and weapon gems and went back at it. Finished the Nightmare frontier, got past the various hunter enemies that pop up between the final moon phase and the trail to the end. Beat Mensis (what a weird fight) and did the first boss of the old hunters (omg my stomach hurts thinking about it.)

Still don't think I'm playing it right, really cannot get the gun mechanic down at all so have been going without for the most part. A lot of the times I'm trying to find the timing for it but can't stun them, or if I find it they get stunned but I'm still getting hit 90% of the time making me have to rush to visceral them. -shrug-

Tempted to make a new game and try different builds but I think one playthrough will be enough for now. I think a lot of the weapons I want to try are a bit to far into the game to replay on a whim, though I could do it quicker now I'm sure. Honestly... this game is hard to look at haha which I think was another part of my problem. Everything is just effing horrible, amazingly designed and beautiful in its own awfulness but its pretty disturbing haha.

Definitely going for a jolly game next.

Ahh and whats up with the Chalice Dungeons, just challenge areas? Tried a few but not sure how they work exactly.

I recently re-started a brand new game after losing my NG+ save going from PS4 to PS4 Pro. I'm kind of interested in making a build for Chikage, but it seems silly since hardly anything benefits from Blood stats, and I can't get the weapon until way down the line. Anyone have any experience building a character towards Chikage?

winstano

If anyone wants a chance to win a Bloodborne Press Kit, hop on over to http://bit.do/ngbgameblast - We've got one that we're giving away for donations of £5 or more on there as part of GameBlast (Kinda the UK's version of Extra Life)

We've raised over £1000 so far, and have got a bunch of other games to give away as well as the Bloodborne kit, and an Uncharted 4 Press Kit too!

This thing is *amazing*. Not my vid, but here's an unboxing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuFF6maAzAk

If anyone wants a chance to win a Bloodborne Press Kit, hop on over to http://bit.do/ngbgameblast - We've got one that we're giving away for donations of £5 or more on there as part of GameBlast (Kinda the UK's version of Extra Life)

We've raised over £1000 so far, and have got a bunch of other games to give away as well as the Bloodborne kit, and an Uncharted 4 Press Kit too!

This thing is *amazing*. Not my vid, but here's an unboxing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuFF6maAzAk
When you donate, are you in the drawing for all items? Or do you specifically state an item you want to enter to win.

I'm in NG++ and I need 16 Insight to buy 2x Coldblood Flowers to unlock Lower Loran Chalice. Ugh... I thought I was done with this game yet here I am playing it again.

812 AR on my Ludwig with 50 STR/ 49 DEX. Don't really know what to level up now? VIT +1 gives me 8 HP only, END +1 gives me... 0 Stamina and I don't use guns so I can stay at 10 Bloodtinge. I have all the stats I need.

Melchiah

I couldn't beat them on my first playthrough either, so I cheesed them from afar with poison knives. It takes two to kill one, IIRC.

I hate this hunter on tower top so much. It wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have to run 5 miles just to get back to him after I die.

Wtf. I just shot him twice after getting up here and he fell off and died. Long live the king?

I hate this hunter on tower top so much. It wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have to run 5 miles just to get back to him after I die.

Wtf. I just shot him twice after getting up here and he fell off and died. Long live the king?

He's by far one of the hardest fights in the game. However, a bit late now, but you could have ignored him and come back later and after a particular boss he becomes an ally.

cj_iwakura

Well, buying up to 15 Arcane on my Skill build was a waste of time....

Orphan of Kos is breaking me. He's just so damn aggressive, especially on the second form. There's no NPC for this fight, is there?

CalhounBurns

Neo Member
Still don't think I'm playing it right, really cannot get the gun mechanic down at all so have been going without for the most part. A lot of the times I'm trying to find the timing for it but can't stun them, or if I find it they get stunned but I'm still getting hit 90% of the time making me have to rush to visceral them. -shrug-

Practice on the dudes in Cathedral Ward - they're probably the easiest enemies to parry in the game and they tend to drop quicksilver bullets so they're good for practising on.

See if you can get a feel for it against them and start trying it out on other enemies. Some of definitely easier to parry than others. Despite their seemingly slow attacks I find the brick trolls quite hard to parry for instance.

Anura

Practice on the dudes in Cathedral Ward - they're probably the easiest enemies to parry in the game and they tend to drop quicksilver bullets so they're good for practising on.

See if you can get a feel for it against them and start trying it out on other enemies. Some of definitely easier to parry than others. Despite their seemingly slow attacks I find the brick trolls quite hard to parry for instance.

I dunno if those guys are good to practice on. They can literally be parried as soon as they start an attack. They're far too easy to parry to be good practice. I think the brick ogres are better for getting the basics down. They're still really easy to parry but they're not totally free and some attacks make you delay your parry shot.

Oidisco

So I fought Micolash last night. By far the easiest (and most annoying) boss in the game. Granted I'm probably over powered after finishing the DLC, but yea he was a bit of a joke.

Still LVL180.

Just one more boss and I will be done with all developers' made Chalice Dungeons:

- Pthumeru
- Central Pthumeru
- Lower Pthumeru
- Cursed and Defiled Pthumeru
- Pthumeru Ihyll

- Hintertomb
- Lower Hintertomb

- Ailing Loran
- Lower Loran

- Isz

There were some nice surprises like The Madman boss fight, Blood-starved Beast boss fight in a poisonous lake or the HUGE cavern lake with suspended bridge.

Gotta say there is some good variety in all the dungeons... it is not that bad in the end. I see what they were aiming for: a Souls Diablo.

Oh also got my first Abyssal drop in Lower Loran. Uber shitty but hey - Abyssal.

Or just don't practice at all and forget about parrying... the game is perfectly Platinumable with DLC without parrying or shooting your gun even once.

It's up to you!

After six months (!!!!) of playing on and off, I'm almost at the end; I just got to
Fishing Hamlet
in the DLC and I'm at
Mergo's Wet Nurse
in the main storyline. Currently at level 81 (give or take a couple, I can't remember exactly). Just wanted to wax lyrical about this shit; seriously, one of the best games I've ever played. I hadn't played a Souls game before this one, and I plan on playing the trilogy after I finish BB, but are there any other games that carry this same...tone? I'm so enamored with the
eldritch
stuff, and the ability to explore the environment and learn about it at my own pace (rather than being told about it via cutscenes) is really compelling.

EDIT: oh also! are there any quality artbooks/guides for sale? I'd love to leaf through something like that

winstano

When you donate, are you in the drawing for all items? Or do you specifically state an item you want to enter to win.

We've now given away everything apart from the Bloodborne kit, so we're going to keep it for another 24 hours and get it given away tomorrow night (UK time)

So if you want to be in with a chance to win just the Bloodborne Press Kit, donate now! :)

Well, buying up to 15 Arcane on my Skill build was a waste of time....

Orphan of Kos is breaking me. He's just so damn aggressive, especially on the second form. There's no NPC for this fight, is there?

Nop, no npc help

So I fought Micolash last night. By far the easiest (and most annoying) boss in the game. Granted I'm probably over powered after finishing the DLC, but yea he was a bit of a joke.

After DLC all the vanilla bosses are easy

I'm really curious what From was thinking there. Not that I didn't enjoy the challenge, I LOVE the DLC, but it's so different compared to the main game difficulty wise.
That's kind of what all the Souls DLCs have been like. Since they're made available post-game I think they're meant to give existing players a challenge, something akin to post-game content.

I'm really curious what From was thinking there. Not that I didn't enjoy the challenge, I LOVE the DLC, but it's so different compared to the main game difficulty wise.

That's kind of what all the Souls DLCs have been like. Since they're made available post-game I think they're meant to give existing players a challenge, something akin to post-game content.

But BB dlc is pretty noticeable the huge gap on difficulty and Lv requirement ,feels line NG+ right on the first boss, Dark Souls 2 DLC difficulty gap were not that high

jviggy43

I actually found that the majority of BB bosses were super easy prior to the DLC, at least relative to Dark Souls. Eberitas would probably be the one main game boss I would say was the most difficult. Now I may have to make a list.

grmlin

I actually found that the majority of BB bosses were super easy prior to the DLC, at least relative to Dark Souls. Eberitas would probably be the one main game boss I would say was the most difficult. Now I may have to make a list.

BB was my ever first souls game.

Easy.

EASY

Bloodstarved Beast was a nightmare. The first level, omg. But it was the best feeling ever finally getting it. One of my very best gaming moments of all time. SO GOOD.

jviggy43

BB was my ever first souls game.

Easy.

EASY

Bloodstarved Beast was a nightmare. The first level, omg. But it was the best feeling ever finally getting it. One of my very best gaming moments of all time. SO GOOD.

Its funny cause BSB has always been one of my easiest bosses in the game, but as a first souls game I can see why it'd give you problems. So long as you know the Soulsborne mantra of "stay to the bosses right" he can't even hit you.

cj_iwakura

Got the first half of the Orphan down. Get in his face and make him bleed.

I just need to figure out more openings in the second half... the only safe window I can find is when he brings the lightning.

Got the first half of the Orphan down. Get in his face and make him bleed.

I just need to figure out more openings in the second half... the only safe window I can find is when he brings the lightning.

the trick is to keep attacking him to his right so the orphan can get staggered or try to heavy hit you.

How? He keeps moving too fast.

Stay close to him for him to proc his air attack or his bolt ground attack, Orpahn is nearly impossible if you stay away from him

I finally got around to starting the DLC on this. Dat first boss fight!

Absolutely incredible. It's good to be back after not playing it since getting the platinum not long after launch.

at what point in the game will i no longer be able to go back and finish other stuff? i'm asking because i'm about to start nightmare of mensis, but i just bought the dlc and want to do that before i go into ng+. when does the main world become inaccessible? is it after you beat mergo's wet nurse?

Top Bottom