• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT+5| Grant Us Eyes!

i beat normal and rooted Phumeru and Central and lower Phumeru
i am scared to enter Defiled Phumeru

Ihyll is same as great pthumeru ihyll chalice?

Yeah Ihyll = Great Pthumeru Ihyll. Defiled is a bitch but I don't think there's a way around it.

I've beaten it on my STR ARC character who needs good gems to do damage (Cursed Nourishing) but I don't think I'm gonna dive into gem farming/dungeon delving with any of my 6 other characters any time soon.

L.O.R.D

Yeah Ihyll = Great Pthumeru Ihyll. Defiled is a bitch but I don't think there's a way around it.

I've beaten it on my STR ARC character who needs good gems to do damage (Cursed Nourishing) but I don't think I'm gonna dive into gem farming/dungeon delving with any of my 6 other characters any time soon.

i just beat the first boss,WTF,this is very hard
and i died to a some low mommy in level 2.

i just beat the first boss,WTF,this is very hard
and i died to a some low mommy in level 2.

The next two bosses are the hardest ones in the game for me IMO. I just beat Orphan of Kos on NG+ with the same character and it didn't take nearly the same amount of tries.

Goldboy

Remember when I wrote here last week? Being confused about what to do next and how to even play the game after 1 1/2 years without the game.

I just beat The Witch and Amelia with my second try. I am using now the holy sword as a 2H weapon. The damage with the R1 attack is great, but with the saw I felt like I had more control in a fight.

Kind of proud that I found my way back into the gane, bur still sort of afraid about the upcoming challenges. Feel like a total noob.

Honestly, Amelia is one of the harder fights in the game on the first playthrough, so if you can beat her then you shouldn't have too much trouble with the rest of the game, IMO. The Holy Blade is awesome btw, carried me all the way through my first playthrough.

Dave_6

Horizon is keeping me away right now but I want to get back to this soon. I had just beat the Shadows of Yharnam and am about to head to the area Rom is in. I've been watching ENB's walkthroughs and it looks like there is a super tough NPC fight in the same spot Amelia was in. Not looking forward to that one.

Ennosuke

Honestly, Amelia is one of the harder fights in the game on the first playthrough, so if you can beat her then you shouldn't have too much trouble with the rest of the game, IMO. The Holy Blade is awesome btw, carried me all the way through my first playthrough.

How should I play with the sword? Because I am using more or less only R1, because the damage with R2 doesn't seem so huge and I kind of not get the timing for the attack. It takes to long and I miss sometimes my oponent.

Milijango

How should I play with the sword? Because I am using more or less only R1, because the damage with R2 doesn't seem so huge and I kind of not get the timing for the attack. It takes to long and I miss sometimes my oponent.

The R2 in both forms is a thrust attack, which is a really effective damage type against a lot of enemies. Just try it on every new enemy, it just destroys some of them. The other attacks that 2H mode has are all blunt, which is usually fine but a handful of enemies are resistant to it.

When fully charged it has significant reach and massive damage, so if you can start it up while an enemy is closing distance that's effective too.

Almost to the end, just tying up loose ends now. Remembered that I hadn't actually fought Paarl yet so I went and did that; unsurprisingly, being at level 96 and having a +10 pizza cutter did wonders.

Now it's just the final boss and the
Orphan of Kos.
When I got back to the Hunter's Dream and
shit was on fire
, the doll told me that
Gehrman was waiting for me. I guess that explains where he's been all game; I assume he's the final boss.

I really wanna beat
Orphan
before I finish the game though. Is there a level I should be fighting him on in the regular game (no NG+ or anything)? I might just need to git gud

h0tp0ck3t

The L2 attack in two handed mode is the best. You do an overhead swing that I'm pretty sure the second hit in the combo will knock down anything. Get in, get your two hits, then backstep. I used the Holysword pretty much until I got the Whirligig Saw and then the Holy Moonlight Sword, both from the DLC.

Edit: BTW I finally beat the main story whoo hoo! Save scummed for the endings, god damn was
Gherman
a pain in the ass! Had to resort to just dodging and spamming ranged attacks from the Holy Moonlight Sword.
Moon Presence was a joke in comparison
Now onto the Chalice Dungeons and finish the DLC!

L.O.R.D

i beat the watch dogs on that dungeon,it was hard but fun battle.
i got cursed and defiled pthumeru chalice,that made me wondering for a bit.

but then when i reached level 3 i realized something,i was playing at cursed pthumeru defilement chalice,not defiled pthumeru.

what the difference?

h0tp0ck3t

i beat the watch dogs on that dungeon,it was hard but fun battle.
i got cursed and defiled pthumeru chalice,that made me wondering for a bit.

but then when i reached level 3 i realized something,i was playing at cursed pthumeru defilement chalice,not defiled pthumeru.

what the difference?

I'm looking at the wiki and it says they are the same

The Cleaver is generally considered to be one of, if not the, best weapon in the game just in terms of raw damage output and moveset.

same,i leveled it to 10,also Ludwig's Holy Blade at 10,but i use the Saw Cleaver the most.

Decided to use it after watching this speedrun where the guy just tears through Amelia. Managed to do it like that myself (obviously nowhere near as quickly or skillfully) and I was just blown away.

I've actually been trying to replicate some speedrun tricks for fun. I've managed to pull off the newer Forbidden Woods skip but I failed the Old Yharnam skip miserably haha.

grmlin

I really have to fall of the stairs in the research hall every damn time, right?

EVERY DAMN TIME

Maria though, always a pleasure! I love it. Still didn't decide if I want to try to kill the hardest enemy in BB
FUCKING well sharks!!!

Calling it an easy mode weapon is kind of silly. It's the base starter weapon for a reason; it's solid overall and can take you through the game. If you want to try different movesets or weapons with different advantages you can. It's not like the cleaver is something you have to put in a cheat code in order to get.

grmlin

Well, the cleaver does amazingly well against early beast enemies, of course. There are other options though, that I actually prefer.

A skill run with the cane and later on the Reiterpallasch was great fun. Or, what I think is really easy mode on most bosses, the Whirligig.

There not as much weapons in BB as in DS, but boy you can basically play the game with all weapons without problems. And they are all pretty different and most of the time pretty fun.

L.O.R.D

Decided to use it after watching this speedrun where the guy just tears through Amelia. Managed to do it like that myself (obviously nowhere near as quickly or skillfully) and I was just blown away.

I've actually been trying to replicate some speedrun tricks for fun. I've managed to pull off the newer Forbidden Woods skip but I failed the Old Yharnam skip miserably haha.

because Amelia is beast type,so the Saw Cleaver is effective against her.

A skill run with the cane and later on the Reiterpallasch was great fun. Or, what I think is really easy mode on most bosses, the Whirligig.

I don't think I've ever really given the cane a fair chance, just because the axe and cleaver do so much more damage early on. I'll need to give it a shot next time round.

I think the best thing about Bloodborne, and Souls games in general, is that any weapon can work for you if you like the moveset.

Solo

Perhaps a silly question, but what governs movement speed in the game? Whenever I summon people, they seem to walk/run about twice as fast as me.

grmlin

Perhaps a silly question, but what governs movement speed in the game? Whenever I summon people, they seem to walk/run about twice as fast as me.
You can run holding circle. Nothing else affects your speed beside the position of the controller stick.

Solo

You can run holding circle. Nothing else affects your speed beside the position of the controller stick.

Oh wow.

I'm like 25 hours deep into the game (I'm at Yahar-Gul Chapel) and I never knew you could hold circle to run. That's embarrassing haha. I always have just rolled to escape.

grmlin

Oh wow.

I'm like 25 hours deep into the game (I'm at Yahar-Gul Chapel) and I never knew you could hold circle to run. That's embarrassing haha. I always have just rolled to escape.
You should have read the messages in the dream 😬

That's also how you jump. Run and double tap the circle.

Oh wow.

Nah, not embarassing at all! I can only think of one attack where I had to sprint to get away from it anyway.
Rom's meteor shower.

Whirligig Saw is the best weapon IMO for most main game bosses.

I've heard about this weapon before and it looked hella cool so it was the 2nd weapon I upgraded to +9 after the Axe.

Meh x1000.

Never could use it in an efficient way: the swings are super slow and have tiny reach and L2 just never worked for me.

I dumped it then an exchanged for Ludwig and never looked back.

Oh wow.

Uninstall the game pls, JK

Whirligig Saw is the best weapon IMO for most main game bosses.

For a game where 90% of the enemies are beast , Pizza cutter its nuts, low stamina for its charge attack and you can even infuse it with fire

I don't even know what all weapons are in the game. Guess I need to search on YT.

The cool ones are kinda late game and pretty few requires a dedicate build for a fresh character, if is your first run just tests all the weapons you find

Finally finally finally managed to put
Orphan of Kos
down. Holy shit, what a fight; absolutely had that BB/souls magic where I was getting crushed every single time I fought the boss until I magically "got it" and barely got hit at all. Super super tense at the end though; that
lightning attack is bullshit...

Bonus victory shot I sent to my friend (teeny bit spoilery):

17101487_102105750298uuyxt.jpg

Ennosuke

The L2 attack in two handed mode is the best. You do an overhead swing that I'm pretty sure the second hit in the combo will knock down anything. Get in, get your two hits, then backstep. I used the Holysword pretty much until I got the Whirligig Saw and then the Holy Moonlight Sword, both from the DLC

Thanks for the advice, I don't have the DLC yet, so I will stick with the holy sword. I will try to use the L2 attack. But as I said above, I feel like with those slow and heavy attacks I am not really in control of the fight. So in the end I end up spaming R1 with the two handed mode. I really need to improve my timing.
Attacking with the R1 saw attack still felt the best for me, but damage is falling behind now.

Just beat the Darkbeast, damn I am really getting hyped about this game. No idea why I sold it in 2015.

L.O.R.D

just finished the battle of the century

Amygdala on defiled
holy shit that battle was intense

praise cowardliness and attacking from behind

fb4.gif

grmlin

I've heard about this weapon before and it looked hella cool so it was the 2nd weapon I upgraded to +9 after the Axe.

Meh x1000.

Never could use it in an efficient way: the swings are super slow and have tiny reach and L2 just never worked for me.

This thing destroys beasts like nothing I've used before. Play the Kirkhammer, that one is super slow. The Pizza Cutter isn't fast, but ok. I think it was pretty easy to get used to it...

Raptor

Meh x1000.

The Pizza Cutter?

That thing transformed destroys everything that pretty much one could think it brakes the game.

Second most powerfull weapon behind only to the Chikage Build with maxed gems.

But this game weapons are all good with the right gems socketed in them, I can destroy everything too with the claws build, etc.

h0tp0ck3t

Bloodletting Beast can fuck right off. Not even talking about the headless one :(

Edit: Ahh the old adage remains true: Bitch on GAF achieve results

I've lost count of how many times I've failed against the Orphan. Getting ridiculous.

Are you on NG or NG+?

He is hard no doubts about it. Relentless like Champion Gundyr. His first phase - you should be able to not get hit even once or at least only use 2-3 vials. Every single attack in his first phase is dodge'able and punishable - but sometimes you have to immediately roll twice towards him.

His 2nd phase is kind of pandemonium. You can get lucky and make him enter 2nd phase when he is at 30% health instead of 50% if you can stagger him just before transformation.

Non tips for 2nd phase as I just got lucky and kinda dodged like maniac landing blows only when it was "safe" (still got punished). Remember he has only combos in 2nd phase so never attack after first blow from his combo. Your best bet is when he twohands his cleaver and kind of chops the ground.

Then I watched some NG+7 videos and generally people:

- fight him in the water (why?)
- backstab him all the time (I never backstabbed him)

Milijango

Then I watched some NG+7 videos and generally people:

- backstab him all the time (I never backstabbed him)

Orphan is easier in water because the lightning radiates from the body of Kos. When you're so far away you no longer need to dodge the lightning; you can simply fight between the shockwaves. There's also no chance of getting caught up on geometry because the arena is so massive.

Nev

Banned

Because the lightning attack from his second phase (one of his most bullshit-ish moves) originates from the corpse of Kos/Kosm, so if you're really far in the water –it has an invisible wall limit, but no falling– you can dodge it much easier.

You're also on a flat, distractless surface.

Beaten-

L.O.R.D

Eh, those bosses are not really that hard after defiled, maybe Descendant

I found both of them difficult but not nearly as "yell at my screen in rage" as Amygdala or Watchdog.

Amygdala and Watchdog are nothing comapre to those two holes,at least you can be cheap with Watchdog or Amygdala and there is plenty of space there so you can dodge easily.
2 hours on Descendant,OMFG
the Descendant is asshole,why he is so strong?
i don't know what i would do with the Bloodletting Beast,it's the same area when i fought the other asshole Abhorrent beast which was also very very hard.

Top Bottom