• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

myco666

Do we know exactly what the last patch changed on weapons?

Apart from the boom hammer, I really don't know for certain what else changed. I did read that the pizza cutter still have the same stamina usage but it stuns less than before.

Well there doesn't seem to be anything official on what was tweaked but fextra has some "unofficial patch notes". Mainly seems to be lowered stamina costs on weapons and I don't really think that the Whirligig Saw was nerfed. Feels as good as before the patch.

edit.

Which of the new DLC-weapons is best for 50 strength / 30 Skill build? Just entered the first DLC-area.

Whirligig Saw and Beast Cutter. Both can be found in the first area. Also Amygdala Arm has good Str scaling but I think the moveset isn't that great.

Tuck

So as it turns out: levelling up, reassigning runes and and reassigning blood gems helped a lot.

Orphan of Kos was still a tense battle - especially the second form, but I was able to last just long enough against some of the stronger attacks to heal properly, and because I was hitting noticeably harder, the second phase wasn't as dragged out.

3 bosses left.

The hunt is almost over =(.

I think depth 4 is NG+ difficulty and depth 5 is NG++? But I could be off. It just kinda seems like that to me.

Without having actually gone to NG++ yet, it would seem exactly that way to me. Depth 3 is about NG endgame, 4 is on par with NG+, and what I've played of 5 is harder than anything NG+ has thrown at me, including the DLC.

Kieli

It really depends on your equipment, level and how much you have gotten gud but I think 5 hours is a rough estimate but I've heard of people taking much longer or shorter to beat it.

I've been mucking about for about ~10 hours and I'm at the final boss (not including optional boss).

I have a question about Poison Knives, because I'm convinced I am using them incorrectly.

There have been a few chalice bosses where a recommended strategy was to poison them. However, I can never seem to get poison to "activate". I understand that when I hit them with the knife, it's building up the poison meter, but it never really gets high enough. Am I taking too long between each knife, or...what's going on?

I have literally thrown 20 knives at a boss that was supposedly weak to poison and they never once got poisoned.

I have a question about Poison Knives, because I'm convinced I am using them incorrectly.

There have been a few chalice bosses where a recommended strategy was to poison them. However, I can never seem to get poison to "activate". I understand that when I hit them with the knife, it's building up the poison meter, but it never really gets high enough. Am I taking too long between each knife, or...what's going on?

I have literally thrown 20 knives at a boss that was supposedly weak to poison and they never once got poisoned.

If youre talking about Abhorrent Beast I think they patched that out? Someone correct me if im wrong.

There was no purple mist surrounding them?
Just to be sure, you know that you won't see a damage counter from the poison damage they're getting? You only see their HP bar slowly shrinking while they're covered in that purple cloud.

There was no purple mist surrounding them?
Just to be sure, you know that you won't see a damage counter from the poison damage they're getting? You only see their HP bar slowly shrinking while they're covered in that purple cloud.
Fair question, but yeah I know they don't actually show the poison bar. I was simply commenting on how poison works (i.e. the same as it does for the player).

And I do know what to look for. Their damage counter on their health bar doesn't go away when they're poisoned. It slowly ticks up, and I've definitely poisoned some enemies in the past. I just can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Azzanadra

In NG+ modes, do you guys tend to be as meticulous about finding everything and exploring the areas thoroughly as the first playthrough, or do you just go from boss to boss?

HORRORSHØW

a tip with the beast claws and beast embrace rune: build up your beasthood meter and change to a stronger weapon to dish out huge amounts of damage. the AR on my moonlight sword went up to 1400+

What boss?

Mogwai

That +10 Whirligiggle Saw is either overpowered as fuck, or I'm just overlevelled (level 100).
Lawrence
went down in first attempt,
Living Failures and Lady Maria
both on second attempts.

myco666

That +10 Whirligiggle Saw is either overpowered as fuck, or I'm just overlevelled (level 100).
Lawrence
went down in first attempt,
Living Failures and Lady Maria
both on second attempts.

Whirligig Saw is really OP against
Laurence
. Does huge damage against him. Against those others it isn't that much better than other weapons.

What level do you guys recommend being at for OoK on NG+? I've been trying at level 115 and have been getting my ass kicked every time, even with help. I don't really feel like grinding anymore but maybe I need to level up my weaponry first? Am rocking a HMB+8 and Rakuyo+7 right now.

duxstar

What level do you guys recommend being at for OoK on NG+? I've been trying at level 115 and have been getting my ass kicked every time, even with help. I don't really feel like grinding anymore but maybe I need to level up my weaponry first? Am rocking a HMB+8 and Rakuyo+7 right now.

Why aren't your weapons at +9 and +10 ? He should be managable at 115 unless your a) not using good gems or b) your build is screwed up.

A good player will get you through OoK almost single handedly

Mogwai

Whirligig Saw is really OP against
Laurence
. Does huge damage against him. Against those others it isn't that much better than other weapons.

Does the transformed form also add beast damage?

Btw, I used shaman blades on failures. Does that work? I couldn't really see what was going on as I was busy rolling like a lunatic.

laxu

In NG+ modes, do you guys tend to be as meticulous about finding everything and exploring the areas thoroughly as the first playthrough, or do you just go from boss to boss?
In the end I think I picked up everything. If there are some annoying enemies with poor loot I might skip those. Some items are changed to madman's knowledge so it's worth picking those up for buying blood rocks.

Tuck

And done! The hunt is over.

Guess I over levelled a bit to make it through the DLC bosses, cause the final two were pretty easy - not stupidly easy, but first-attempt-on-both sort of easy.

Probably the best game I've ever played, if not close to it. Basically 50 hours on the dot.

ThisOne

Just started new game plus. I haven't played the game in months so I'm quite rusty. What's the quickest way to access the DLC? Also, what are the soft caps again for vitality and endurance?

I-hate-u

There is a chest
that is impossible to reach in the upper floor after Ludwig's area unlocked via balcony key.
Did anyone figure how to open it yet?

Xux

There is a chest
that is impossible to reach in the upper floor after Ludwig's area unlocked via balcony key.
Did anyone figure how to open it yet?
The one in the Cathedral above the beds? You do a running jump across the gap.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Poor Repeating Pistol :( Everyone is talking about Evelyn or Poison Knives and now even Bowblade :( You're never part of the conversation even though you are one of the very best, if not the best, way of dealing ranged damage especially to bosses :(

They don't realize that when fully powered and combined with Bone Marrow Ash, even with the 21.5% bloodtinge gem found in Mensis anyone can very leisurely kill Abhorrent Beast by just jumping back and shooting with you. You even make folks like Bloodletting Beast simply a casual, strolling leisure to fight against :(

But I still love you Repeating Pistol <3 <3 <3

Just started new game plus. I haven't played the game in months so I'm quite rusty. What's the quickest way to access the DLC? Also, what are the soft caps again for vitality and endurance?

50 and 40 are the hard caps... though you can still benefit from raising Vit up beyond 50... not so sure about their soft caps.

Two questions are the servers down right now and is level 140 too high for NG+?

Not really. Well kinda, but not to the point where you can just leisurely stroll on without worry or anything like that.

OsirisBlack

Banned
Poor Repeating Pistol :( Everyone is talking about Evelyn or Poison Knives and now even Bowblade :( You're never part of the conversation even though you are one of the very best, if not the best, way of dealing ranged damage especially to bosses :(

They don't realize that when fully powered and combined with Bone Marrow Ash, even with the 21.5% bloodtinge gem found in Mensis anyone can very leisurely kill Abhorrent Beast by just jumping back and shooting with you. You even make folks like Bloodletting Beast simply a casual, strolling leisure to fight against :(

But I still love you Repeating Pistol <3 <3 <3

50 and 40 are the hard caps... though you can still benefit from raising Vit up beyond 50... not so sure about their soft caps.

Not really. Well kinda, but not to the point where you can just leisurely stroll on without worry or anything like that.

Ok thanks and anyone know what gems are best for the holy moonlight sword? I can do massive damage when I catch an enemy with both the blast and the blade with a charged R2. And if you like the repeating pistol there are a few bosses you can hit with a Call beyond and pretty much end the fight before it even starts.

Holy. Fuck. This DLC is hard.

I walked through blood borne vanilla back when it came out. Started a new character and tried it at level 40. I can barely damage anyone with a skill build. Ass handed to me continuously, I've not even reached the second lamp yet.

Tips? Aside from levelling, which I will do.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Really? Who bashes the repeating pistol?

My new BT guy has been using it (haven't gotten to Cainhurst yet) and it's awesome, devastating damage with bone marrow ash.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

I walked through blood borne vanilla back when it came out. Started a new character and tried it at level 40. I can barely damage anyone with a skill build. Ass handed to me continuously, I've not even reached the second lamp yet.

Weapon that stagger is a tremendous asset if you are planning to brave the DLC in low levels, like Ludwig's Holy Blade. You also really need to be on point with parrying, especially against the boom hammer guys and the Cthulhu monsters.

Really? Who bashes the repeating pistol?

My new BT guy has been using it (haven't gotten to Cainhurst yet) and it's awesome, devastating damage with bone marrow ash.

It's not so much of a bashing but people mainly ignoring it :(

cheesekao

Leveling, upgrading your weapons and getting good gems is really all you need to do.

Ok thanks and anyone know what gems are best for the holy moonlight sword? I can do massive damage when I catch an enemy with both the blast and the blade with a charged R2.
Nourishing Gems.

Afrocious

Unrelated to the DLC, but I'm on my first ever bloodtinge build and goddamn bosses that I found easy before are now difficult.

Paal? holy shit I keep dying.

jjonez18

Anyone got any tips for dodging Ebietras' head charges. Both the flying one and the ground one. Never have been able to dodge it. It puts me in bad situations because of it. I see it coming. The signs are clear enough. Just can't move far enough left or right to dodge her massive body. End up getting put on my back, she then proceeds to start some random long reaching combo that takes me out while I try to back off and heal. I can dodge every one of her attacks easily, but the head charges seem unavoidable. Tips for the fight in general are welcome.

Fake Edit: Beat her, but would still like to know how to handle her. Stay in close? Which attacks to punish? Especially in the second stage?

cheesekao

Anyone got any tips for dodging Ebietras' head charges. Both the flying one and the ground one. Never have been able to dodge it. It puts me in bad situations because of it. I see it coming. The signs are clear enough. Just can't move far enough left or right to dodge her massive body. End up getting put on my back, she then proceeds to start some random long reaching combo that takes me out while I try to back off and heal. I can dodge every one of her attacks easily, but the head charges seem unavoidable. Tips for the fight in general are welcome.

Fake Edit: Beat her, but would still like to know how to handle her. Stay in close? Which attacks to punish? Especially in the second stage?
The charge move is bullshit by nature due to ebrietas having a huge hit box. You generally want to dodge left but I sometimes just tank the hit so that I don't get 1 shot by the counter damage from dodging at the wrong moment. I find sticking to her back to be the best. The best move to punish is when she does her headbutt, when she's spitting blood and you're nearby and when she retreats backwards.

Unrelated to the DLC, but I'm on my first ever bloodtinge build and goddamn bosses that I found easy before are now difficult.

Paal? holy shit I keep dying.
What level do u plan on stopping at? You should focus on skill(chikage/bowblade) or str(bloodletter) first before investing points into blt.

Sealed

Banned

if you're not using it, i recommend using the tonitrus against her, it works really well for me

i usually dodge forward and to the left when she does the headslam

sticking to her sides and back generally works pretty well for me

myco666

Does the transformed form also add beast damage?

Btw, I used shaman blades on failures. Does that work? I couldn't really see what was going on as I was busy rolling like a lunatic.

Yeah it has beast damage bonus. Don't know if shaman blades work for LF.

That charge is pretty tricky to dodge. I almost always get hit by it but dashing back-left or back-right twice has been working the best. As for attacking her just bait the headslam and go nuts. Does bunch of damage and will give you Visceral. During the phase change you can get 2-3 charge attacks with 1000+ damage and pretty much kill her at that moment.

Bl@de

So I started a new game yesterday after getting Old Hunters (my old character from the original was at the beginning of NG+ and is skill based - and I'm sick of the threaded cane after so many hours with it). I want something new. Strength/Arcane. Is there anything particulary interesting when building a character for the DLC? Is Arcane worth it when playing PvE only?

jjonez18

Thanks guys. Her charge is the only troublesome part. On NG+4 and beat her in chalice dungeons too but don't remember her being this annoying. I know the ins and outs of every other boss, except Ebietras. I'll test your suggestions out on NG+5.

cheesekao

So I started a new game yesterday after getting Old Hunters (my old character from the original was at the beginning of NG+ and is skill based - and I'm sick of the threaded cane after so many hours with it). I want something new. Strength/Arcane. Is there anything particulary interesting when building a character for the DLC? Is Arcane worth it when playing PvE only?
For Str and Arcane you have the Saw Spear, the Holy Moonlight Sword that can be found in the DLC and The Uncanny Logarius Wheel(chalice dungeon treasure. The normal wheel has a bad gem slot) and yes, arcane builds are very viable for PVE.

NEO0MJ

Thanks guys. Her charge is the only troublesome part. On NG+4 and beat her in chalice dungeons too but don't remember her being this annoying. I know the ins and outs of every other boss, except Ebietras. I'll test your suggestions out on NG+5.

I imagine the chalice version being weaker than the NG+4 version.

For Str and Arcane you have the Saw Spear, the Holy Moonlight Sword that can be found in the DLC and The Uncanny Logarius Wheel(chalice dungeon treasure. The normal wheel has a bad gem slot) and yes, arcane builds are very viable for PVE.

I thought the Saw Spear was skill and not reliant on arcane?

Top Bottom