• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

Ciri

Neo Member
Hey guys, on my 2nd play through after taking a long break to play Old Hunters. Seems like I'm going with quality build again without using Ludwig GS this time - felt cheap w/ it breezing through bosses. Currently using saw clever and loving it, is there any other weapon like it in the new DLC? Also, were new armors added?

cheesekao

Yeah, but usually when I think arcane I think of something like the Burial Blade or the Tonitrus.
I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of the people who played BB thought that way. Most people will ask 'Why does this weapon have arcane scaling when it doesn't deal any arcane atk?'. You're average Joe wouldn't realize that slapping on a fire/bolt/arcane gem on a weapon with pure physical attack will remove their str/skill scaling and change it to arcane scaling. However, the threaded cane and the saw spear benefit the most from being an arcane weapon due to their scaling.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Also you can't really "main" the Burial Blade for a first arcane playthrough since you get it so late... :p Tonitrus is a good choice though. I used a fire saw spear and Tonitrus myself, until I got the Moonlight sword of course.

NEO0MJ

^ Planning ahead! I remember a someone said they found an alt. version of it in the chalice before even fighting the boss for it.

the threaded cane and the saw spear benefit the most from being an arcane weapon due to their scaling.

Oh, I thought Ludwig's Holy Blade had the best arcane among buffable weapons.

Dynedom

What's the motivation for going beyond NG++? I feel like you're better off starting a new character if you want to just try a different build (assuming people go beyond NG++ to level up other stats).

Otherwise: are people just looking for added challenge?

On a related note: a few steps closer to that plat on my STR/ARC build. Just need to run the Ihyl dungeon and Messenger's Gift and before tackling G and MP and going into NG+.

cheesekao

^ Planning ahead! I remember a someone said they found an alt. version of it in the chalice before even fighting the boss for it.

Oh, I thought Ludwig's Holy Blade had the best arcane among buffable weapons.
It does but its overall dps is lower because it has a B/B str and skill scaling and you get higher DPS with a quality build.

Bl@de

For Str and Arcane you have the Saw Spear, the Holy Moonlight Sword that can be found in the DLC and The Uncanny Logarius Wheel(chalice dungeon treasure. The normal wheel has a bad gem slot) and yes, arcane builds are very viable for PVE.

Sounds interesting. Especially want to try the Moonlight Sword. I guess I'll go with Str/Arc.

Thank you.

Szadek

Also you can't really "main" the Burial Blade for a first arcane playthrough since you get it so late... :p Tonitrus is a good choice though. I used a fire saw spear and Tonitrus myself, until I got the Moonlight sword of course.
Well,you if you murder the crow, which is what I did in my first playthrough.
In my last playthough I also used Logarius' Wheel as my main weapon.

Anyone got any tips for dodging Ebietras' head charges. Both the flying one and the ground one. Never have been able to dodge it. It puts me in bad situations because of it. I see it coming. The signs are clear enough. Just can't move far enough left or right to dodge her massive body. End up getting put on my back, she then proceeds to start some random long reaching combo that takes me out while I try to back off and heal. I can dodge every one of her attacks easily, but the head charges seem unavoidable. Tips for the fight in general are welcome.

Fake Edit: Beat her, but would still like to know how to handle her. Stay in close? Which attacks to punish? Especially in the second stage?

I always stayed in close. In fact my final tactic was to beat her around the sides and if I could glitch into her body, stay there as long as possible. When close to her second stage I'd then focus on her head and visceral as much as possible to avoid the stage's attacks.

gunbo13

What's the motivation for going beyond NG++? I feel like you're better off starting a new character if you want to just try a different build (assuming people go beyond NG++ to level up other stats).

Otherwise: are people just looking for added challenge?
A few reasons. Shared with other NG+ modes.

1. Challenge is one, higher NG+ games can only be matched by handicapped earlier runs.
2. Variety, you get different health and damage behavior. Keeps SP fresher.

Audioboxer

Soo many games to play and I keep playing Bloodborne. FML.

Have skill and strength at 25 a piece on this new quality build. Think I'll just take one of them to 50, but which one... decisions.

norog

Just finished the DLC last night on a new str/arc build. In the end I think it would have been fine to use my old character on NG+++, but once I got rolling I was just having a great time in the base game again and couldn't help doing all the areas again. Optional boss went down like a chump, but OoK took so long, so many deaths... brutal, just brutal. I was staring to think he'd never go down. I think I'll come back in a few months and finish on my old character and see what the experience is like with faster weapons.

I just have to say though, gatling gun is definitely not the best use of QS bullets but it's way too much fun. Fully upgraded, the damage output is fine, but a definite high point has been watching an invader just run when they saw the bullet stream start flying.

Dynedom

A few reasons. Shared with other NG+ modes.

1. Challenge is one, higher NG+ games can only be matched by handicapped earlier runs.
2. Variety, you get different health and damage behavior. Keeps SP fresher.

Cool.

At Ihyl Chalice's Layer 1 boss and the P.D. is kicking my ass. Holy shit. I'm getting OoK vibes.

Curufinwe

I got the Bloodborne soundtrack CD as an early Xmas gift and I Love it, but I wish there was track of the Winter Lanterns humming on it.

gunbo13

Simon's Bowblade has opened up my tolerance for vanilla again. It is a really fresh way to play, especially with the monocular.

DSmalls84

When would be a good spot to start the dlc? Currently in Nightmare Frontier and was thinking of doing Upper Cathedral Ward next and jumping into the dlc before Nightmare of Mensis.

myco666

When would be a good spot to start the dlc? Currently in Nightmare Frontier and was thinking of doing Upper Cathedral Ward next and jumping into the dlc before Nightmare of Mensis.

Once you hit lvl65 and have +9 weapon with decent gems. Maybe even earlier than that. So if you have access to UCW and Mensis you should be starting the DLC.

Nazo

Started a new character and rushed to get the Hunters Saif and HOLY CRAP. That weapon is god like. It has such an awesome move set.

Audioboxer

Started a new character and rushed to get the Hunters Saif and HOLY CRAP. That weapon is god like. It has such an awesome move set.

Yup, the dash forward is great for PVE. Very easy to pick it up on a "suicide run" as soon as you get access to the DLC.

On an unrelated note the bucket helmet pairs well with the executioners set \m/ As boring as ludwigs sword may be, I can't deny it absolutely wrecks on a quality build.

SkylineRKR

One shot Loran Darkbeast. I wasn't even properly decked out, mostly Eye Runes. With Anti clockwise I could've wailed for longer. He's harmless if you keep on the offensive, which goes for a lot of bosses, which is good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7akQ0fLDf5M

But then again, perhaps I wouldn't have gotten that nice Blood Rock without Eye runes... which is a first for me after a boss. Moonlight sword +10 now, improving Arcane stat lately.

Fhtagn

SkylineRKR

I think 2 handed and fire paper help. He got stunned fairly quickly. Its like Paarl and VA, they can dominate you unless you really hit hard. When he's not charged with bolt, keep on him.

devo1989

Away to start this up, is there any easily missable weapons/bosses/areas I need to know about? Probably only going to go through this once. A link to a guide or a brief spoiler free hint would be awesome.

Fuck this god damn place!!!!
latest

8YcyyUG1xwk.jpg

Fhtagn

I think 2 handed and fire paper help. He got stunned fairly quickly. Its like Paarl and VA, they can dominate you unless you really hit hard. When he's not charged with bolt, keep on him.

Yeah, I think Loran Darkbeast's difficulty is wildly affected by weapon choice. He's so fast and aggressive compared to the main game Darkbeast, it's hard to land more than one hit at a time and as such stunning him with a saw cleaver is really tough.

I did the whole game, chalices and DLC, with the saw cleaver as my main... Did a second run with the cane up to The One Reborn and now I'm juggling that with an arcane focused run. Will be pretty interesting to see which bosses are suddenly challenging or easy compared to my first run.

gunbo13

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTSgKzxwPUs

So this is the most fun I have had with this fight. Usually I use a melee and just visceral the shadows to death; minus the fireballer.

+4 vials
+3 QS on Vic
+15% stamina

It's a fun bowblade build. Basically you use vials like currency with blood sac. Then it is all about using the bow. You visceral as well to maintain stock. Stock stock stock.

Very fun, fresh compared to beating these bosses the same way over and over. Time consuming though.

SkylineRKR

Got platinum theme in the mail 3 days after I checked to receive promotion stuff. Nice.

I like gestures like this, I hope Dark Souls 3 Plat is doable and has something like it too.

Thinking about getting this DLC and starting a new build, looking for input.

Last time I was more of a dodge and backstab type build, almost never parried. What's good as far as starting class/weapons if I want to focus on parrying the shit out of everything?

SkylineRKR

Thinking about getting this DLC and starting a new build, looking for input.

Last time I was more of a dodge and backstab type build, almost never parried. What's good as far as starting class/weapons if I want to focus on parrying the shit out of everything?

Bloodtinge + Skill probably. Skill scales with Visceral Attacks unless I'm mistaken. Bloodtinge makes your gun stronger. I found regular pistol easiest to parry with, after that, Evelyn.

So for runes I'd go with Visceral attack buff, QS bullets back on hit and extra bullets.

Archon473

Away to start this up, is there any easily missable weapons/bosses/areas I need to know about? Probably only going to go through this once. A link to a guide or a brief spoiler free hint would be awesome.

Just read the fextralife wiki when you get a weird item and would like to know more. I will sometimes read an NPC page if I have interacted with them the first time or would like to know where I will find them next, but I only read their questline to the current point and no further. Do not look up areas, who people are that you have not encountered, or where to find items. This is the fun of the game. Only research what you know so far. You can always explore open areas and you won't botch NPC questlines so long as you keep them alive, and like I said, just look up the next place you will find them to keep their story going.

Just read the fextralife wiki when you get a weird item and would like to know more. I will sometimes read an NPC page if I have interacted with them the first time or would like to know where I will find them next, but I only read their questline to the current point and no further. Do not look up areas, who people are that you have not encountered, or where to find items. This is the fun of the game. Only research what you know so far. You can always explore open areas and you won't botch NPC questlines so long as you keep them alive, and like I said, just look up the next place you will find them to keep their story going.

I really need to start doing this. Of course i killed Adeline because i thought giving one piece of brain or whatever was all i had to do with her. In DS2 I killed 1 npc total and of course it was one of the dudes you need to join a covenant and fight an additional boss

gunbo13

So the bow is useless against Rom. It even goes for the head unless you scope. So I just tore him up with a +10 Whirligig. Such a lame boss. A pushover too, even on NG+4.

Bloodtinge + Skill probably. Skill scales with Visceral Attacks unless I'm mistaken. Bloodtinge makes your gun stronger. I found regular pistol easiest to parry with, after that, Evelyn.

So for runes I'd go with Visceral attack buff, QS bullets back on hit and extra bullets.

Cool, I'll check this out.

Top Bottom