• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

dock

Out of curiosity, do you really have no interest in finishing Bloodborne at all or is it more of a case of burning out because you are stuck at that point? Because if it's the latter then I'm willing to hop on and help if you're having trouble.
I have plenty of interest in finishing Bloodborne, but I find it very hard to schedule time to play online with others, and often dislike looking up play guides and techniques. I was having SO much fun up until the point I got stuck. I had help from strangers for a couple of bosses if I recall correctly, but the section I'm at doesn't seem helped much by summoning. (thank-you for your kind offer, btw! :3 just not sure I'll be able to schedule anything. )

This was all compounded by the annoying problem of having to stock up on blood vials. I can't bear to repeat a boring loop to collect health items. If I could buy DLC to restock blood vials automatically after respawning I would buy it immediately. The current method feels like the game intentionally wasting my time.

malcher

The game kicks you directly into ng+ so I would do the dlc first and then do the final boss if I were you.

edit: sorry for double post.

Well, the question is: can I warp back to Cathedral Ward when the Vicar is already dead and interact with the altar to initiate the DLC path (then I can stay in NG)? Or do I have to beat the Vicar only after downloading the DLC (if the kills before getting the DLC do not count for the purpose of DLC) (then it means I have to go to NG+ first)? Sorry if my question is not clear.

Sylas

Well, the question is: can I warp back to Cathedral Ward when the Vicar is already dead and interact with the altar to initiate the DLC path (then I can stay in NG)? Or do I have to beat the Vicar after downloading the DLC (kills before getting the DLC do not count) (then it means I have to go to NG+ first)? Sorry if my question is not clear.

If the Vicar is dead you're good to go. The only trigger that matters is that you've advanced the story enough so that it's night-time or the bloodmoon.

Aces&Eights

I started the DLC on NG+ at level 96. Sony recommends level 65 for DLC in a normal game so I figured 96 would be fine for NG+. It wasn't super difficult until I hit the first boss. Even with an NPC helper, fighting that boss at level 96 was harder than any boss I fought in the normal game. I'd recommend roughly level 115 or so for NG+ DLC.

Holy shit. I'm gonna need to git gud. I'm level 116 in ng+. Been playing so much Fallout 4 I should go back to the base game to get my muscle memory back lol

DrDogg

Well, the question is: can I warp back to Cathedral Ward when the Vicar is already dead and interact with the altar to initiate the DLC path (then I can stay in NG)? Or do I have to beat the Vicar only after downloading the DLC (if the kills before getting the DLC do not count for the purpose of DLC) (then it means I have to go to NG+ first)? Sorry if my question is not clear.

You don't have to beat him after you download the DLC. You can beat him at any time.

I have plenty of interest in finishing Bloodborne, but I find it very hard to schedule time to play online with others, and often dislike looking up play guides and techniques. I was having SO much fun up until the point I got stuck.

This was all compounded by the annoying problem of having to stock up on blood vials. I can't bear to repeat a boring loop to collect health items. If I could buy DLC to restock blood vials automatically after respawning I would buy it immediately. The current method feels like the game intentionally wasting my time.

I've played Bloodborne through to completion twice, both offline. This game does not need to be played online to be enjoyable.

Farming for blood vials is kind of annoying. I would never, ever, ever drop the game because of that though.

Sylas

Just to be clear on something...

Killing the Vicar is not the trigger for the DLC. An item spawns in the Hunter's Dream after you've advanced the story to a certain point.

Manu

I haven't been keeping up with the DLC, so I don't know what this means.

If you beat the game you will be instantly taken to NG+, meaning you will have to replay the game up to the point where you can access the DLC, which will in turn be much, much harder.

So play the DLC before beating the game.

gogosox82

As long as you've beaten Amelia already you should be good to go. Just pick the item from Hunters Dream and go to Cathedral Ward to initiate it.

DrDogg

For anyone wanting to grab the new weapons and level them up before exploring the rest of the DLC, I'll be working on a guide to find them as quickly as possible. Should be up later today.

You can find six of the weapons before you get to the first boss, so that's what the guide will cover at first. I'll probably add the other weapons tomorrow.

Saint9806

I started the DLC on NG+ at level 96. Sony recommends level 65 for DLC in a normal game so I figured 96 would be fine for NG+. It wasn't super difficult until I hit the first boss. Even with an NPC helper, fighting that boss at level 96 was harder than any boss I fought in the normal game. I'd recommend roughly level 115 or so for NG+ DLC.

I'm level 144 at the start of NG++. Am I crazy for wanting to bring my Strength Axe hunter into the DLC?

You won't be able to access it straight away. But it will only take you an hour if you rush the required bosses in NG+.
Are you sure about this? I am in a similar position with a character on the final boss and I don't want to play the DLC in NG+. From what others are saying in this thread it sounds like you can access the DLC in NG once you progress past a certain point, regardless of how much farther you might go.

If you beat the game you will be instantly taken to NG+, meaning you will have to replay the game up to the point where you can access the DLC, which will in turn be much, much harder.

So play the DLC before beating the game.
Okay, I'd still prefer to beat the game first, though, then do the DLC and a second playthrough.

mstevens

Can someone spoiler tag for me which boss sends you into new game +. I want to make sure I don't accidentally go past the point of no return. I know it's one of two bosses that does it, I'm just not sure which one. Thanks!

Afrodium

Banned
Are you sure about this? I am in a similar position with a character on the final boss and I don't want to play the DLC in NG+. From what others are saying in this thread it sounds like you can access the DLC in NG once you progress past a certain point, regardless of how much farther you might go.

Yeah, you can access it at any point past Amelia. I think that poster was referring to accessing the DLC at the beginning of NG+.

Can someone spoiler tag for me which boss sends you into new game +. I want to make sure I don't accidentally go past the point of no return. I know it's one of two bosses that does it, I'm just not sure which one. Thanks!
Once you return to the Dream and it's
on fire don't go through the newly opened gate. The Gehrman fight in that area is the point of no return.

Struct09

This has probably been asked a bunch already, so apologies in advance. Do we know exactly when the DLC will be accessible in the US? Is it midnight EST, or will it be 10 AM EST tomorrow?

Siegmeyer

Hopefully this DLC has lots of blood stone chunks and at least one blood rock.

Damn it, I hadn't thought about that. I have two lvl 45s ready to go (one skill, one strength) having just beat Amelia and cleared the woods, but I hope I don't have to fart around in the Frontier and Mensis to get the chunks needed for the new weapons.

Can anyone who's played it confirm if there are upgrade materials in the DLC?

duxstar

Damn it, I hadn't thought about that. I have two lvl 45s ready to go (one skill, one strength) having just beat Amelia and cleared the woods, but I hope I don't have to fart around in the Frontier and Mensis to get the chunks needed for the new weapons.

Can anyone who's played it confirm if there are upgrade materials in the DLC?

There are upgrade materials including 1 blood rock in the dlc area, and bloodstone chunks.

I'm gonna get my new weapon of choice , farm some chalice dungeons to upgrade it quickly and then go through the dlc. I want to go through the dlc with my awesome new weapon =)
Rokoyu

Will suck if the weapon I want is really deep into the DLC, then I'll be relying on old trusty threaded cane, burial blade and blades of mercy.

dmr87

Forgot where I was, turns out I had just completed the game so had to rush through the beginning. No worries since I had to get back into it, so good though.

It's good to be back.

dLAb.jpg

Hard to do at first (because you instinctly doge sideways or backwards) but try to dodge forward/diagonal to your enemy and bosses. That way you are just behind or beside them to punish them. Use the short invincible frames when you dodge forward.

Also...prepare to die. Have fun !

Fuck defense, attacking is defending. You get hit? Hit back (to get health back). Don't be afraid of anything, use side dodge (O+Direction) to dodge gracefuly.

Be the best.

Then you don't need to know anything before playing it. have fun :)

Thank you very much, I can't wait to play tonight!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Just to be clear on something...

Killing the Vicar is not the trigger for the DLC. An item spawns in the Hunter's Dream after you've advanced the story to a certain point.

What is that specific point, if you doing mind?

I forgot exactly where I left off my NG+ game, but I was fairly deep into it. I got burned out doing Chalice Dungeons before taking a break many months ago.

Ryan7556

Neo Member
I'll spoiler tag this, but for those wondering how many additional weapons are in the DLC (this is what I saw from leaks):

11 new trick weapons, 5 new offhand ones, and one hunter tool

Also:

There's an oath rune which gives you a beast form, and another that gives a kin form.

There are upgrade materials including 1 blood rock in the dlc area, and bloodstone chunks.

I'm gonna get my new weapon of choice , farm some chalice dungeons to upgrade it quickly and then go through the dlc. I want to go through the dlc with my awesome new weapon =)
Rokoyu

Will suck if the weapon I want is really deep into the DLC, then I'll be relying on old trusty threaded cane, burial blade and blades of mercy.

Awesome!

Which chalice dungeons are good for farming blood stone chunks? I think I'll mess around with some dungeons until the DLC releases.

I forgot exactly where I left off my NG+ game, but I was fairly deep into it. I got burned out doing Chalice Dungeons before taking a break many months ago.
cathedral ward and let amygdala grab you

Rokoyu

Damn, only one Blood Rock? Good thing I have 5 saved up :D

But Simon's Bowblade will be my main unless something else wows me like Ludwig's GodlyBlade did.

Sylas

The world-state advancing to nighttime is the trigger. This happens when you kill Vicar Amelia and inspect the skull on her altar to watch a cutscene that gives you the password to the Forbidden Woods.

If it's nighttime in your gameworld, or you've triggered the blood moon, you'll find an item in the Hunter's Dream. Once you have that item, go to Oedon Chapel and get grabbed by the Amygdala.

I dont even know what lvl I left off at after beating the game. I believe I did click ng+, so I'm guessing I have to do the whole first part over again?

mstevens

Once you return to the Dream and it's
on fire don't go through the newly opened gate. The Gehrman fight in that area is the point of no return.

Okay I'm there. I thought there was another secret boss after him, didn't realize it throws you into new game + after you beat him.

I haven't played any NG++ at all, but IMO the DLC is harder than most of the main game.
Ok gonna skip this then. It's like SOTFS. They made the dlc way too Damn hard and I couldn't get through it with my character.

I finished bloodborne but ng+ was too Damn hard so I wouldn't be able to do the dlc on ng+

The game is great but way too inconsistent for me like all from games, and this one I found just a bit too difficult.

I'd buy the dlc if I could pebble glitch again but I see that has been phased out.

mstevens

The world-state advancing to nighttime is the trigger. This happens when you kill Vicar Amelia and inspect the skull on her altar to watch a cutscene that gives you the password to the Forbidden Woods.

If it's nighttime in your gameworld, or you've triggered the blood moon, you'll find an item in the Hunter's Dream. Once you have that item, go to Oedon Chapel and get grabbed by the Amygdala.

What if you defeated
amygdala
I see it on my upcoming boss list but haven't fought it yet.

Ogawa-san

I'll keep working on my char while waiting til midnight, I guess. Staring at the countdown screen hoping that time would speed up got old after a few hours.

What's the highest level you guys think I can still get jolly co-operation reliably? After I hit 50/30/50/50 I've been putting points into BLT/ARK just because and now I'm at 150-ish, I could keep going for a full 50 for damage stats but I don't want to kill my chances of finding people.

Really wish it worked like DS2... sigh.

Top Bottom