• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloomberg - Influence-Peddling Scandal Rocks South Korean President

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azuran

Banned
As amusing at it is to make fun of another country’s political crisis (don’t even act like you haven’t been laughing at us for the Year of Trump, EU/Canada/Mexico/South America/Asia/Australia-GAF) maybe we can actually talk about the fact that the local equivalent of a carnival palm reader has had actual control over the government of an allied nation?

Nah man, there's nothing any of us can add to this discussion as previously stated in this thread.

girls-generation1.jpg

Pyccko

What the hell is 8 goddesses? All I saw in the links in OP is some flim-flam woman Wormtongue-ing the prez. What secret society?

Seriously, we have one of the most insane political scandals that not only undermines the entire political structure of a country, but also sheds light on the cult fervor that lies beneath the country's surface...and everyone wants to act like they're on 4chan.

c78.gif

Seriously, we have one of the most insane political scandals that not only undermines the entire political structure of a country, but also sheds light on the cult fervor that lies beneath the country's surface...and everyone wants to act like they're on 4chan.
What do you want us to do/say?
And it's not like this isn't how Neogaf regularly is.

If you want serious discussion, start one. Otherwise you're as bad as the rest of us.

Azuran

Banned
I see you still haven't added anything, though…

What do you want us to do/say?
And it's not like this isn't how Neogaf regularly is.

If you want serious discussion, start one. Otherwise you're as bad as the rest of us.

It's kinda hard to be motivated to write a long and serious post about this topic in this thread when you know most people that enter here won't even bother to read it let alone respond to it considering they're too busy posting memes and pics of Korean pop bands.

A serious discussion should have been there from the get go but then again this is GAF so I guess everyone gotta have their laugh in threads that talk about issues they obviously don't care about.

It's kinda hard to be motivated to write a long and serious post about this topic in this thread when you know most people that enter here won't even bother to read it let alone respond to it considering they're too busy posting memes and pics of Korean pop bands.

A serious discussion should have been there from the get go but then again this is GAF so I guess everyone gotta have their laugh in threads that talk about issues they obviously don't care about.
So you're aware this is just about the same as every GAF thread ever? Which hasn't stopped anyone from being serious nor stopped others from making jokes. Look at US political threads as an example.

well I don't know a damn thing about the inner workings of anything in SK so besides some boring general remark of "wow that's crazy" I'm going to go with what I do know about..... the 8 Goddeses burned down my village, one of them joined my party, they were actually trying to fight against an even bigger threat, and there's an ancient secret boss 9th one.

but seriously what are the 8 Goddesses

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I don't understand this at all. My whole life I essentially scoffed at every mJor conspiracy theory or even any reference to secret societies, and it turns out there was an actual secret society shadow government running a major country.

My understanding is the 8 goddesses were the 8 richest women who were a secret society running the show as an actual shadow government... Is their a reason people are taking this news so lightly? This is one of the biggest scandals of our lifetime.

Edit- sebody please tell me I've misunderstood the tldr version of this. This seems too fucking nutty to be real.

I don't understand this at all. My whole life I essentially scoffed at every mJor conspiracy theory or even any reference to secret societies, and it turns out there was an actual secret society shadow government running a major country.

My understanding is the 8 goddesses were the 8 richest women who were a secret society running the show as an actual shadow government... Is their a reason people are taking this news so lightly? This is one of the biggest scandals of our lifetime.

Edit- sebody please tell me I've misunderstood the tldr version of this. This seems too fucking nutty to be real.
Which is exactly why it's funny and people are making jokes. Because it's so outlandish and ridiculous that it could be the plot to a Metal Gear game.

Sure it's dark and really messed up and we can discuss it, but I doubt most of GAF is South Korean, so not only is there nothing we can do about it, our personal connection to the event is pretty limited.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Which is exactly why it's funny and people are making jokes. Because it's so outlandish and ridiculous that it could be the plot to a Metal Gear game.

Sure it's dark and really messed up and we can discuss it, but I doubt most of GAF is South Korean, so not only is there nothing we can do about it, our personal connection to the event is pretty limited.

But the implications of this are monstrous. As I said this has to be up there with the biggest scandals in the history of politics. It is essentially eyes wide shut in real life.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
can we change the title of this thread so people might actually take this seriously? This isn't some crazy tin foil hat thing, this is real from my understanding. As I said I normally would be right there with people laughing and joking about the possibility of something so absurd, but this is actually happening. This is a legit "Illuminati" shadow government that is confirmed. Terrifying stuff.

edit- not to mention that this lends credence to the fact that the previous president committed suicide with unusual circumstances surrounding it, along with many other cabinet members who died under strange circumstances. Again this is normally conspiracy fodder, but apparently that's not the case here.

FyreWulff

As amusing at it is to make fun of another country’s political crisis (don’t even act like you haven’t been laughing at us for the Year of Trump, EU/Canada/Mexico/South America/Asia/Australia-GAF) maybe we can actually talk about the fact that the local equivalent of a carnival palm reader has had actual control over the government of an allied nation?

United States has had a known president use horoscopes to guide policy decisions

(spoiler: Ronald Reagan)

For those that don't understand why this is a big deal, think of it as if people saying "9/11 was an inside job" or "lizard people run the world" are actually right. That's roughly the equivalent here.

This is a legit tinfoil hat conspiracy that ended up being true.

can we change the title of this thread so people might actually take this seriously? This isn't some crazy tin foil hat thing, this is real from my understanding. As I said I normally would be right there with people laughing and joking about the possibility of something so absurd, but this is actually happening. This is a legit "Illuminati" shadow government that is confirmed. Terrifying stuff.

edit- not to mention that this lends credence to the fact that the previous president committed suicide with unusual circumstances surrounding it, along with many other cabinet members who died under strange circumstances. Again this is normally conspiracy fodder, but apparently that's not the case here.

Well, you could begin by adding a few links to what's actually confirmed information, and talk about the subject, not just telling others to do so for you.

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell

NeonZ

well I don't know a damn thing about the inner workings of anything in SK so besides some boring general remark of "wow that's crazy" I'm going to go with what I do know about..... the 8 Goddeses burned down my village, one of them joined my party, they were actually trying to fight against an even bigger threat, and there's an ancient secret boss 9th one.

but seriously what are the 8 Goddesses

I'm just reading these news now and have no knowledge about South Korean politics, but apparently "8 Goddesses" was the name of a conspiracy theory involving Choi Soon-sil and a group of billionaires controlling the South Korean government from the shadows. This conspiracy theory was from before these actual news about Choi Soon-sil having direct influence over the president's actions.

The 8 Goddesses name comes up due to how close the conspiracy was to these news, but at the same time, the actual news are focused on Choi Soon-sil, not on some shadow cabal, which is why the news reports aren't running with that name.

Korean politics have been fucked for so long smh.

This. I understand the desire to make a ton of jokes, but this really isn't funny. South Korea is one of the most corrupt states in the first world. It's insane how deep it goes. It's one of the largest reasons re-unification would be insane as things stand now.

I'm just reading these news now and have no knowledge about South Korean politics, but apparently "8 Goddesses" was the name of a conspiracy theory involving Choi Soon-sil and a group of billionaires controlling the South Korean government from the shadows.

This conspiracy theory was from before these actual news about Choi Soon-sil having direct influence over the president's actions.
ok so Choi having a big influence is apparently true, and what about these other billionares?

edit:saw your edit, ok then

Mortemis

Banned
Reading the OP and subsequent posts had me so confused. I get it now, but man wtf. Seems too ridiculous to be reality.

South Korea has quite a bit of work to do, and by quite a bit I mean a fuck ton.

Oh my god.....Trump was trying to protect the emeralds

Nah, that would be the point in the story where it's revealed that the 8 Goddesses were the good girls all along and that defeating them allowed Trump to reach his dangerous final form: President of the United States.

From the news I've watched here in Korea and from talking to my wife and her family, it doesn't sound too different from British politics relationship with Murdoch. Except Choi at least has a business interest in things rather than Murdoch's general disgust for academics and left-wing thinking.

Most of the accusations haven't been proven, and the truth may be she 'advises' the current president. The Korean students have a case as they are protesting Choi's daughter being accepted to Yonsei University on a sports scholarship, when her sports achievements appear to be she owns a horse.

I'm glad the public are taking it seriously, Pak's approval rating has fallen to 17%, but I do feel if this happened in the UK no one would give a shit. Most of the theories do sound conspiracy-like, and Pak is really being judged just on having a relationship with Choi which is good, and should have happened to Blair, Brown and Cameron and any future British PMs relationship with Murdoch.

I've searched a bit, but other than the ties of the powerful to spiritual groups, I can't find any trace of this conspiracies anywhere. It's pretty much like if any president was found following any sort of spiritual leader. Which is a scandal, sure, but not this "8 goddesses" crap.

yogloo

You are posting on a videogame forum on the Internet.

Holepunch

For those that don't understand why this is a big deal, think of it as if people saying "9/11 was an inside job" or "lizard people run the world" are actually right. That's roughly the equivalent here.

This is a legit tinfoil hat conspiracy that ended up being true.
...are we all pretending that private interests influencing government isn't the norm? Is it just the spirituality angle? Because I'm not shocked at all that a politician has special interest ties.

EVOL 100%

Reading the OP and subsequent posts had me so confused. I get it now, but man wtf. Seems too ridiculous to be reality.

South Korea has quite a bit of work to do, and by quite a bit I mean a fuck ton.
I'm convinced that this country is fucked beyond all saving. Seriously, I hate this fucking country so much

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom