• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloomberg - Influence-Peddling Scandal Rocks South Korean President

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sblargh

Banned
Sorry if this has been talked about, but speaking about the people over there who is going on the street and protesting.

How important is the mystic aspect of it all versus plain old corruption?

Sorry if this has been talked about, but speaking about the people over there who is going on the street and protesting.

If you understand D&D alignment. Regular ol' corruption is Lawful Evil. This is Chaotic Evil.

This is what happens when generations of young Koreans don't stand up to their parents' wacky superstitious nonsense. Fan-death Mom? Really? Really really?

Puruzi

Banned
My cousin just told me about this, how the fuck is this even possible?

Conspiracy theorists vindicated jesus christ

cntr

Banned
My Korean friends are joking that SK is now a theocracy.

Imagine proposing this plot in a movie script. They'd throw you right out.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Holy shit. So it's confirmed that she has been relying on this cult leader guy for everything?

cntr

Banned
Word is that Choi has so much influence on Park, that she chooses and buys her clothes. Like, I don't know how true that is, but the President being so completely controlled that she doesn't even choose her own clothes? That's nuts, and it's nuts that it sounds like a plausible idea.

Edit: Okay, yeah wow, that actually happened.

So...

Is there like some type of impeachment system in South Korea?

This is fucking insane.

From what I've read, apparently corruption is kinda expected in South Korea, and this whole "Our President is listening to a cult" is the major part of the story.

My cousin just told me about this, how the fuck is this even possible?

Conspiracy theorists vindicated jesus christ

This is like the inverse of every conspiracy theory, she is being controlled but a puppet master who is fucking insane and has no idea what she is doing. These theories are supposed to bring order to a chaotic world, not add to it!

cntr

Banned
Yeah, there's a formal impeachment system, but formal charges haven't been made yet. I'm told Choi was detained, may be formally charged tomorrow?

Corruption is pretty common yeah, but this goes way beyond normal corruption.

Deciding to bump this with a bit of a more Korean pop angle that is floating around.

Graciously taken from a Redditor who translated this article.

The prosecution's investigation into Choi Seon-sil's gate has been full-fledged, and the suspicion is likely to spread to the entertainment industry.

Choi Soon-sil has been directly involved in the Cultural Prosperity Committee, and her nephew Jang Yoo-jin (Jang Seung-hoo, Jang Si-ho) is known to have a close relationship with the entertainment industry.

According to the securities industry and various media on the 1st, Choi is known to be leading the creation culture proliferation policy, which is one of the current government's keynotes, and the representative entertainers participating in the Hallyu policy are being directly targeted by the rumors.

YG Entertainment was sparked by the fact that CEO Yang Min-seok was appointed to the committee of the Cultural Prosperity Commission in July 2013. Yang was the youngest committee member and the only one from entertainment company at that time.
In particular, the CEO Yang also accompanied President Park Geun-hye as an economic delegation for the month before the Committee for Culture and Promotion was selected. From a roster of 71 members, such as the chairman of the Federation of Korean Industries (FKI), Hyundai Motor Chairman Chung Mong-koo and LG Group Chairman Koo Bon-moo, CEO Yang is the only one from entertainment companies.

A Blue House official said, "We did not consider a specific company." Other entertainment companies, such as SM and JYP, also received the offer, but they couldn't participate, he said.

There are also suspicions surrounding popular stars at the forefront of cultural policy. Big Bang was selected as PR ambassador for the new national brand 'CREATIVE KOREA' last August. However, this brand became the subject of suspicion when it stood at the center of Choi's cultural policy irregularities.

According to one source, 'Creative Korea' was a business with low collusion, but it was adopted as a national brand. In addition, the phrases and colors were similar to the national industrial slogan published by the Trade and Investment Promotion Agency of France. Chae's associate Cha Eun-taek was involved in the business and said that 14 billion won was invested in six fields.

In addition, Choi's nephew Jang Jang, familiar with the top actors and singers, including the status of popular entertainers, government policies and events related to the star continues to be resigned.

The Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism denies Choi's involvement in the cultural extension policy. "It's the first time I have seen the related documents published through the media," he said. Some entertainment officials said, "It was in the past government that a popular entertainer was mobilized in the government event."

An official from the financial investment industry said, "YG Entertainment's quarter 3 earnings are expected to be in line with the consensus, and negative factors continue to dampen investor sentiment." Overall, stock prices at enter-listed companies are likely to rebound for the time being. "He said.

On the other hand, the prosecution, which is urgently arresting Choi and expanding the investigation, is expanding the investigation into related industries by seizing the real company owned by Chun Eun-taek, an advertising director known as Choi's associate. Mr. Cha is suspected of having been appointed as a member of the Cultural Prosperity Committee in 2014, and as the head of the Creative Economy Promotion, he has taken over the government cultural policy and earned the right.

For posterity's sake, YG is considered one of the big three Korean pop companies alongside JYP and SM.

A few more details:

The President is accused of (at Choi Soon-sil's direction) using her power to force most if not all of Korea's major corporations (Samsung, LG, Hyundai etc.) to "donate" money to the M-ir Foundation and K Sports, run by Cha Eun Taek. Source

Cha Eun Taek and YG entertainment are suspected of engaging in cronyism, which means YG allegedly benefits from their relationship with Cha Eun Taek and his connections to the Ministry of Culture at the direction of Choi Soon-sil, to illegally make money directly from the government, which is not what Koreans expect their taxes to be used for.

Honestly, as a fan of a group YG fucked over constantly during it's time, I would be so grateful if it shuts down the company. The CEO is well known for being a scumbag behind the scenes, especially towards women.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom