• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloomberg - Influence-Peddling Scandal Rocks South Korean President

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
I was going to make this thread a couple days ago but don't know a single thing about Korean politics so stayed away. Among other craziness, apparently Choi Soon-sil claims to channel the spirit of Park's dead mother

Here's an analogy I saw from reddit to sorta relate what is going on in South Korea using U.S. terms: Park = Obama, Choi Soon-sil = muslim imam

"It was discovered that Obama has been taking orders from a muslim imam on all sorts of issues, such as executive decisions, who to assign cabinet positions, and even how to deal with Putin and Syria.

An NBC reporter found the imam's laptop and it was full of classified documents and evidence that the imam has been telling Obama, for many years, what to speak, how to deal with others, who to hire, and even what to wear.

On top of all that, Obama got big bankers and corporate donors to pay money to fatten the imam's "foundation", which performs singing and dancing shows at government functions, and imam's daughter is an equstrian whose horses were bought by Warren Buffet, and she is at an Ivy League school even though she skipped most of her high school classes. The imam's family also owns luxury condos in Germany where they are currently hiding.
That is the gist of what's happening with Park, obviously exaggerated a bit but not much. Hopefully that is short enough."

casiopao

I never knew South Korea is this corrupt? I mean, from all their reality show, news and Drama lol. i never knew their country is this bad? I mean, is this even real or still just some assumption.

This is like saying that Japan is run by Yakuza, Italy by Cosa Nostra kind of thingy lol.

Niks

girls-generation1.jpg

Should have been first post..

anyways, president fucked up bad.

This woman's presidency has been nothing but scandal after scandal. I guess she truly is a dictator's daughter.

To say she was 'elected' might be a little generous... What most people recognize as modern Korea basically started in the 80s. South Korea's earlier history was just a series of despots with American backing.

dommynick

...are we all pretending that private interests influencing government isn't the norm? Is it just the spirituality angle? Because I'm not shocked at all that a politician has special interest ties.

People are missing context here.

It's pretty much the spirituality angle that's making this scandal so explosive. Politicians being controlled by private interests is pretty bog standard, even to be expected. The leader of your democratic country being the hand puppet of a person who earned the President's trust by claiming to be able to channel her dead mother's spirit is very unsettling and calls into question her soundness of mind. Even the Muslim imam analogy doesn't quite capture it, it's more like if Obama ran every decision by the leader of Heaven's Gate before he acted.

The President's association with this confidant has major implications because of the fact that the confidant used her friendship with the President to coerce donations to crooked non-profits she runs, along with the fact that the President was apparently incredibly dependent on this person. An example of this dependency was the capsizing of a ferry carrying hundreds of middle school students, most of whom died. This was a huge incident for many reasons, but the President did not make a public statement on it for quite a number of hours, which was seen as quite bizarre at the time. There is now speculation that she did not address the nation immediately after the incident because her confidant was in Germany at the time and was probably sleeping, thus unable to advise the President on what to do or say.

Eylos

Banned
Talking serious i know nothing of south korea politics and i think very few people here, anyone know a little to give a little info? Its presidential with prime minister? Which are the parties, which ideology they follow, Some background in the president and the govermnent etc.

Laieon

I've lived in Korea for 2 years, I've never met a Korean that likes her. Young people despise her.

Girlfriend says Korea has yet to have a president that they can actually be proud of, so far it's just been presidents-who-are-essentially-dictators or corruption. Here's hoping Ban Ki-moon changes that when he's hopefully elected next year, but he's running for the same party that Park is in so who knows.

Breaking News: South Korean Military being run and operated secretly by the top Starcraft Players

Starcraft is dead here though. It's all about Overwatch and League of Legends now.

casiopao

People are missing context here.

It's pretty much the spirituality angle that's making this scandal so explosive. Politicians being controlled by private interests is pretty bog standard, even to be expected. The leader of your democratic country being the hand puppet of a person who earned the President's trust by claiming to be able to channel her dead mother's spirit is very unsettling and calls into question her soundness of mind. Even the Muslim imam analogy doesn't quite capture it, it's more like if Obama ran every decision by the leader of Heaven's Gate before he acted.

The President's association with this confidant has major implications because of the fact that the confidant used her friendship with the President to coerce donations to crooked non-profits she runs, along with the fact that the President was apparently incredibly dependent on this person. An example of this dependency was the capsizing of a ferry carrying hundreds of middle school students, most of whom died. This was a huge incident for many reasons, but the President did not make a public statement on it for quite a number of hours, which was seen as quite bizarre at the time. There is now speculation that she did not address the nation immediately after the incident because her confidant was in Germany at the time and was probably sleeping, thus unable to advise the President on what to do or say.

Isn't this just mean that she is a puppet president?

Vibranium

Banned
I'm all for Deus Ex references, but yes, this should be discussed seriously. I don't know much about South Korea, but damn, this kind of influence and power is pretty high up there in the world, especially by some cultish religion. I'm going to read about more on this.

Me too man, my birth country is garbage right now. A literal fucking quack had actual government power.

All y'all who just came to post memes and shit, just SMH.

Well, let's just take solace that the general climate of Asian politics is fuckery. At least we have the balls to launch daily protests.

I never knew South Korea is this corrupt? I mean, from all their reality show, news and Drama lol. i never knew their country is this bad? I mean, is this even real or still just some assumption.

This is like saying that Japan is run by Yakuza, Italy by Cosa Nostra kind of thingy lol.

Hahaha exactly! South Korea has one of the best covers for their society I've ever seen. It looks like its well put together but South Korea is a pretty big mess and always has been. It's gotten better in the last 20-30 years for sure but it still has so many random ass issues.

Hell, you could and would be arrest until like 4 years ago, for mentioning or insinuating that the S.K. government carried out a damn near genocide in their southern paradise island Jeju. That was until a mass grave was uncovered like 10 meters from their airport and someone had some splanin to do... Among a mountain of other things.

I love me some SK media, but I'm not blind to their society in reality.

Vibranium

Banned
Prosecuters apparently want to try to bring Choi back from Germany for questioning. Fascinating (and scary, for South Koreans in particular) stuff.

So I'm still reading thru this stuff, but have the 8 conspirators been named yet?

I'm glad my family settled for Canada, instead of venturing to America as originally planned. :D
You got a pretty damn good deal, heh.

Kinda off topic but just cause I'm curious, does Canada have an equivalent of the ADA? I'm disabled and it's another notch on why I love the US. Just having handicap access in government buildings and most other buildings is amazing. I hope to one day visit Canada when I'm in a more stable condition.

So I'm still reading thru this stuff, but have the 8 conspirators been named yet?

You got a pretty damn good deal, heh.

Kinda off topic but just cause I'm curious, does Canada have an equivalent of the ADA? I'm disabled and it's another notch on why I love the US. Just having handicap access in government buildings and most other buildings is amazing. I hope to one day visit Canada when I'm in a more stable condition.

I've spent most of my time in Toronto, and I confess it's not something I actively look out for. I'm pretty sure all government edifices require full access, and most places of import do have have full access as well. Our subway system doesn't have full accessibility, but many stations have recently spent significant effort to renovate to allow for unfettered access, The surface transport system (buses at least) have full accessibility and designated areas. There's also a separate transport system for disabled individuals to charter for travel for areas inaccessible otherwise.

I've spent most of my time in Toronto, and I confess it's not something I actively look out for. I'm pretty sure all government edifices require full access, and most places of import do have have full access as well. Our subway system doesn't have full accessibility, but many stations have recently spent significant effort to renovate to allow for unfettered access, The surface transport system (buses at least) have full accessibility and designated areas. There's also a separate transport system for disabled individuals to charter for travel for areas inaccessible otherwise.
Cool. Thanks for the info.

Something like "Massive corruption uncovered in South Korea as religious cult lead government" or something like that would have been better for the title OP, lol. Loads of posters are shitposting about '8 Goddesses' when that stuff really should be taken more seriously.

But ah, what's done is done. I'll be reading up on this and talk about it here. Damn, this is huge.

It'd be cool if we could get some more discussion in here from people who read the article and less shitposting about Kpop groups, thanks.

medrew

I've lived in Korea for 2 years, I've never met a Korean that likes her. Young people despise her.

Girlfriend says Korea has yet to have a president that they can actually be proud of, so far it's just been presidents-who-are-essentially-dictators or corruption. Here's hoping Ban Ki-moon changes that when he's hopefully elected next year, but he's running for the same party that Park is in so who knows.

Starcraft is dead here though. It's all about Overwatch and League of Legends now.

Roh Moo-hyun was pretty close. Until his scandels and suicide.

I remember being in SK when elections were going on. My partner said she would leave if Park was elected (she later left).

Jacob

My first thought was that this sounded like the Nancy Reagan astrology thing but the tone of some of the coverage seems to suggest that this is more extensive and serious. I tried to find out more about this "8 Goddesses" group but most of the Google results were to conspiracy theory subreddits and sites like Above Top Secret. Does anyone know of any more reliable sources about this? The articles linked to in the OP don't touch on the cult aspect much.

duckroll

It'd be cool if we could get some more discussion in here from people who read the article and less shitposting about Kpop groups, thanks.

Maybe if the thread title wasn't clickbait conspiracy meme crap piggybacking on a more serious actual political fallout, people would je less facetious? Maybe? Just a thought!

EVOL 100%

My first thought was that this sounded like the Nancy Reagan astrology thing but the tone of some of the coverage seems to suggest that this is more extensive and serious. I tried to find out more about this "8 Goddesses" group but most of the Google results were to conspiracy theory subreddits and sites like Above Top Secret. Does anyone know of any more reliable sources about this? The articles linked to in the OP don't touch on the cult aspect much.

It's apparently a group of 8 influential women who held secret meetings. There isn't much information about it, and we don't it know if even exists at all yet.

Roh Muhyeon or Kim Daejung were not dictators. That is insulting to the freedom movement given that both fought against dictatorship and even were jailed (in case of Kim even tortured)

EVOL 100%

Roh Muhyeon or Kim Daejung were not dictators. That is insulting to the freedom movement given that both fought against dictatorship and even were jailed (in case of Kim even tortured)
Yeah, they've had their faults and things like the sunlight policy didn't work out that good, but they were fine.

The politic cynicism and apathy so rampant in Korea is exactly why we ended up with the fucking daughter of a dictator who is a dumbass, and now apparently the puppet of a cult leader.

Yeah, they've had their faults and things like the sunlight policy didn't work out that good, but they were fine.

The politic cynicism and apathy so rampant in Korea is exactly why we ended up with the fucking daughter of a dictator who is a dumbass, and now apparently the puppet of a cult leader.
works better than the current stalemate/coldwar situation

Cuburt

This so outrageous, I clicked on the old thread title just to see if it was a real story or something out of fiction.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I think I read about that original cult leader, but I thought he was still around calling himself a Messiah? Is that a different guy?

RedSwirl

Is there any way I could get a TLDR on South Korean political history post-1948 for some context?

It seems to me like everybody assumed SK politically had always been just another parliamentary republic like Japan or something because the economy has been so successful and, from an external perspective, very western. Or just the history not being taught in western schools. To be honest I don't even understand the basic details of why the Korean War happened.

Is there any way I could get a TLDR on South Korean political history post-1948 for some context?

It seems to me like everybody assumed SK politically had always been just another parliamentary republic like Japan or something because the economy has been so successful and, from an external perspective, very western. Or just the history not being taught in western schools. To be honest I don't even understand the basic details of why the Korean War happened.

Here's a quick TLDR article.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/special_report/1997/korean_elections_97/39111.stm

It at least encapsulates the reason for general political cynicism in South Korea, to an extent.

Forkball

Isn't this just mean that she is a puppet president?
Puppet implies that someone explicitly put her in power for their interests. This seems to be the case of her confiding in a cult leader and sharing valuable information with her voluntarily. I think the Rasputin analogies are more apt than Illuminati ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom