• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blue Dragon DLC: Ultra Hard Mod

From what I hear this adds a number of options:
You can start a new game on the harder difficulty.
You can start a new game+ carrying over your stats from the last game.
You can start a hard game for new game+ as well, where only parties at over level 50 have a chance at surviving.

MCD

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
Becuase the game was too easy to begin with?

Doesn't matter, it's a design decision by Mistwalker here.

no hard mode till you beat the game or you can get this key.

yukoner

McDragon said:
New game+ should have been on the disc?

The Japanese version didn't have Hard mode unlocked from the beginning, so why should the US version be different?

No, hard mode should've been included in retail.

The game was universally panned as being too easy, many of the reviews cited this as their main gripe.

Hard mode is really how the game should be played, and for them to completely leave it out, is absolutely mind boggling.

WTF were they doing for 9 months? And at the very least, how in the world did it take them a month to transfer the DLC from the Hong Kong market to the US??

Enk

makes good threads.
JayDubya said:
I remember how the first enemy you encountered in Baldur's Gate was a wolf that could rip you to pieces if you weren't the right class or didn't plan the fight accordingly. On standard difficulty. Good times.

Ah Baldur's Gate was difficulty done right. I also remember in the original Dragon Quest, the slimes could easily rip you a new one in the very beginning. It felt so great getting your first weapon and fighting your way to progress further onto the map. You cherished each new piece of weaponry and armor you got. Good times indeed.

yukoner

McDragon said:

This is totally bogus.

You CAN play in hard mode without beating the game, you simply need to download the DLC from the HK marketplace (like I did).

The DLC was made from fan reaction that the game was too easy, so even if it was a design decision, Mistwalker realized their mistake and released a VERY well balanced patch to increase difficulty.

That should've been made available to US reveiwers and consumers at launch.

The fact they've made it available now proves it. Obviously someone was asleep at the wheel, and now 4 weeks after release thought "Gee whiz...I guess we forgot to make the BD DLC available in the US...DOH!"

yukoner

BenjaminBirdie said:
Well, isn't it made, technically, for people who've finished the game, even though we hardcore players would've started on it. Was it available Day 1 in JPN?

No, impossible is made for people who beat the game. Hard mode is just a tuned version of the original, which adds a great deal of difficulty to the game, and really exposes the excellent design of the battle system. Something you would barely glimpse by playing on the default difficulty.

MCD

yukoner, DLC keys usually take this long.

hopefully Mistwalker will learn next time from their mistake and include Hard mode on the retail disc.

McDragon said:

Yes it does matter. The game was flawed and they had the time to fix it properly. They didn't, thus they failed.

yukoner

McDragon said:
yukoner, DLC keys usually take this long.

hopefully Mistwalker will learn next time from their mistake and include Hard mode on the retail disc.

No its not. This is a unique case.

The DLC has been available in other regions for >6months. This isn't 'new' content. It's pre-existing content taht simply had to be moved from one Marketplace region, to another.

What other game(s) did this that we could call it usual?

Not to mention this game underwent 9months of localization. MS should've been well aware of the main problem the game had, and it would've been a *very* obvious decision to include these features in the retail game.

It's pretty obvious something happened at MS, they abandoned the game, and left BD out to dry in almost every imaginable way.

Enk

makes good threads.
Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
Yes it does matter. The game was flawed and they had the time to fix it properly. They didn't, thus they failed.

At least they did it, something which other developers wouldn't do. And for that I deeply appreciate them for taking the time to add a new difficulty setting. On the other hand the localization team really should've added it into the game from the start, but whatever, I was still able to get the patch and I am loving this game more because of it. Water under the bridge for me.

yukoner

Shard said:
At least the brought the patch over.

Lol, after 90% of the sales have been had, and the game has been slammed in many reviews for being mind numbingly easy/boring...they bring it out.

Way too little, way too late IMHO.

reputation_pos.gif
KTallguy
Price: Free
(Today, 03:13 PM)
Reply | Quote

Branded

Somehow I doubt the reviews and the difficulty are the reasons why Blue Dragon hasn't done so well.

Oh and the Rumble Roses XX DLC is actually fairly new in Japan as well as the US. I should know because I keep checking my Japan account hoping to see the Dr Anethesia SS costume available. =(

MCD

yukoner said:
No its not. This is a unique case.

The DLC has been available in other regions for >6months. This isn't 'new' content. It's pre-existing content taht simply had to be moved from one Marketplace region, to another.

What other game(s) did this that we could call it usual?

Not to mention this game underwent 9months of localization. MS should've been well aware of the main problem the game had, and it would've been a *very* obvious decision to include these features in the retail game.

It's pretty obvious something happened at MS, they abandoned the game, and left BD out to dry in almost every imaginable way.

I think it's Eternal Sonata and the piano key, it just got ported to the marketplace (for 80 point) if i recall correctly.

and Konami with their Rumble Roses DLC (a lot of costumes) that was recently released in the us market.

BD overall received shitty treatment from MS of America, so what happened really doesn't surprise me at all.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
yukoner said:
Lol, after 90% of the sales have been had, and the game has been slammed in many reviews for being mind numbingly easy/boring...they bring it out.

Way too little, way too late IMHO.

True enough but it could have been worse, as in now patch for all time, that is what I am saying.

MCD

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Oh and the Rumble Roses XX DLC is actually fairly new in Japan as well as the US. I should know because I keep checking my Japan account hoping to see the Dr Anethesia SS costume available. =(

Were they released at the same time? if so, my mistake, sorry.

MCD

PepsimanVsJoe said:
No big deal. I'm actually embarassed to mention it(even moreso the fact that I've bought quite a few of the costumes)

No need to be embarrassed , at least it's better than a gamerpic/theme, i mean what you are downloading is a true DLC not some key or some shit, you know?

Top Bottom