• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blue Dragon (new?) scans

Blimblim

The Inside Track
New images (both realtime)
748_0001.jpg

748_0002.jpg

And new video:
http://dl-bluedragon.durasite.net/bd_movie8_hd.wmv or from my site. "Interesting" choice of music.
reriel: the video you linked before was the first one released during TGS IIRC (edit: october 5)

reriel

Blimblim said:
reriel: the video you linked before was the first one released during TGS IIRC (edit: october 5)
oh then sorry, it was posted on gamefront today, so I believed was a new one.
anyway many thanks for post the new one ^__^

kevm3

I really like the direction this game is starting to take. Toriyama's art transfers very well to games. DQ8 and now this.

jimbo

Banned
Dunpeal said:
Isn't this game like almost coming out?

Man this game really needs to get some pretty awesome reviews.

That's all I want to know too. When is this game coming out in the US?

Blimblim

The Inside Track
jimbo said:
That's all I want to know too. When is this game coming out in the US?
It's released in Japan on december 7. No date has been given for a US release so far, but it should be fairly quick (compared to other jRPGs that is)

jimbo

Banned
Blimblim said:
It's released in Japan on december 7. No date has been given for a US release so far, but it should be fairly quick (compared to other jRPGs that is)

Is that quick as in Jan-Feb or quick as in May-June?

Blimblim

The Inside Track
jimbo said:
Is that quick as in Jan-Feb or quick as in May-June?
I'd say Q2 2007, but nothing official.
Anyway, I've just been told that the latest V-Jump comes with a DVD all about Blue Dragon, with interviews of all the people involved and some new gameplay videos too. I'll try to get them asap :)

clashfan

Blimblim said:
Anyway, I've just been told that the latest V-Jump comes with a DVD all about Blue Dragon, with interviews of all the people involved and some new gameplay videos too. I'll try to get them asap :)

I can't wait to see those videos.

Kunai

FateBreaker said:
that is beautiful.

looks like two discs, can anyone confirm how many tracks?

From CDjapan:

includes every song from the game including the themes "Watashi no Namida to Sora" performed by Ayako Kawasumi and "Eternity" performed by Ian Gillan.

included while First Press is still available: Digipak, (The disc is) pictured-labeled, a booklet

Right now SME is only listing one song!:lol

http://www.sonymusicshop.jp/detail.asp?goods=SVWC000007428

wonderful scan!! thanks blim, this game is one of my most wanted! i hope there will be an official date for the pal versione soon!!:)

Sean*O

Thanks for posting the new scan! I have high hopes for this game. MS needs to rush the US release on this if possible.

reriel

so from the interview scan seem like one can unlock others types of class shadow from two o more mastered, and place/equip skill on slots.
And after blue dragon release will be ASH turn, then lost odyssey.

reriel

on these scan there's a cm space with a series of spot (last one will be seen on december), and I don't remember the one with tgs people playing blue dragon é__è

Dunpeal

Banned
Kunai said:

Thats awesome. Man i hope this game is good....and acessible, i'm sick of Hard as **** Keep llevelling up till you fall out RPGs :/

FFXII kinda was the last stroke for me. And this is really a design matter that should bear some discussion, from what i gather, specially JRPGs are designed around the fact that each battle is like a chess game and you have to outsmart the enemy, you have to think your attacks, so shit it should let you just play without having to spend an hour before a boss just fighting to level up. Take FFXII, i would kill most of the enemies that were in the each area, and it still wouldn't be enough when i got to the bosses, and shit i would spend an hour with the boss before coming to the conclusion that i couldn't beat the damm bitch because i just didn't have the attack power or the life to beat him.

And that kind of game design just, doesn't appeal to me at all anymore, shit i actually pondered the option of buying ****ing action replay to go through the damm game, but my cheapness didn't let me.

jimbo

Banned
Wow at that last screen.

But enough already. I'm sick and tired of seeing screens and movies about this game when there's no US release date anywhere in site.

reriel

some gameplay info from gamefaqs poster (based on a play session at tgs and last sakaguchi's interview translation):

* As we have seen from movies, you can see the enemies on the map before battle starts. If you can walk into them from behind rather than the front you get a back attack, which starts you with an advantage (two of the achievements are related to this as well.)

* However, that isn't all. It also seems that you will be able to paralyize and cause other status effects to enemies before going into battle.

* Furthermore (I saw this in the demo too) one of the options when walking around is "Fight All." A circle expands out from around your character and you can fight all of the groups of monsters within it at once.

* The trick with "Fight All" is that some monsters don't like other monsters. If you get two groups that don't like each other in the same battle, they may start fighting each other rather than you. One of the achievements is "Start 100 Monster Fights," you may have noticed, as well as one to fight 10 or more groups at once and beat them all!

* Exactly how powering up Shadows works is unclear right now, no status screen availible in the demo, but it seems they have a variety of categories that you can power up. One of these is "Barrier." A barrier called the "Bari- Barrier" allows you to automatically defeat enemies on the map without having to go into battle with them, if they are a certain number of levels lower than you are. This should cut down on pointless random battling (see Mother 2). You also still recieve points needed to powerup your Shadows from killing enemies like this.

* The main feature that made the battle system at TGS unique was the ability to charge moves. When you select certain attacks a bar appears with where each of the other characters in battle (both ally and enemy) will move marked on it. But holding down the button you can charge the attack up, increasing its damage but pushing the point at which the attack will activate beyond other characters turns. So the attack comes out later but is more powerful. In the footage I saw of someone else playing the demo this bar appears on the screen a few times when they select an attack, but they don't seem to know how to use it and never charge it up.

* No game in the next generation has depeicted drama to this extent.

* One goal that couldn't be achieved until now was to totally realize the world of Toriyama.

* Playtime is stated at being 40 ~ 50 hours. Sakaguchi says that going directly through the game still takes him 35 hours.

* There are 9 categories of Shadow, which can be changed freely at any time. Shadows and characters have different levels and need different experiance to level up. The Bari-Barrier which I mentioned before still gives you Shadow experience, but not much character experience, which is how they balanced that.

* Whilst character experience required for new levels continues to go up with each level, like a standard RPG, Shadow rank experience doesn't. So once you get the Bari-Barrier you can go back to the first dungeon, run around and rank up loads.

* Equipped skills to your Shadows gives you a great deal of variety. You can get a maximum of 11 skill slots and many skills combine together - e.g. create a magical sword attack that both steals and can be charged up, absorbs HP and MP and sometimes kills in one hit.

* The interviewer asks is this level of freedom <certainly sounds insanely powerful> made balancing the game hard. Sakaguchi replies that the staff would keep on coming back to him saying "this combination of skills makes it super easy!". He would get mad but doesn't believe in making the skills weaker, so they adjusted enemy strength instead.

* Plenty of little side games and stuff included. Once you can ride in the Mekkat (I guess the flying ship seen in the videos) you can travel to numerous places. Free download content is planned, the first from around New Year, and it sounds like these will be new locations to travel to.

* Sakaguchi even took part in adjusting the content of treasure chests. There are around 500 regular chests and around 5000 more searchable locations in the game. Sakaguchi wants the player to have fun with these - e.g. originally searching Zora's bathtub awarded 10 gold. He added +30 exp on there as well.

* Sequal is all but confirmed, but not actually officially confirmed, for Xbox 360.

lachesis

If this beautiful game doesn't set the fire on X360 scene in Japan... nothing else will, IMHO. I have high hopes, but I do also hope it will do well, so that we'll get more from Japanese developers.

rostocker

Famitsu most wanted charts

pos. title system developer votes
1. (1 / 1) Final Fantasy XIII PS3 Square Enix 1.765
2. (3 / 3) Blue Dragon Xbox 360 Microsoft 1.664
3. (2 / 2) Biohazard 5 PS3 Capcom 1.277
source: www.gamefront.de

woohoo, Blue Dragon rocks! :D
Prediction time: will BD sell more than 150.000 units?

reriel said:
some gameplay info from gamefaqs poster (based on a play session at tgs and last sakaguchi's interview translation):

* As we have seen from movies, you can see the enemies on the map before battle starts. If you can walk into them from behind rather than the front you get a back attack, which starts you with an advantage (two of the achievements are related to this as well.)

* However, that isn't all. It also seems that you will be able to paralyize and cause other status effects to enemies before going into battle.

* Furthermore (I saw this in the demo too) one of the options when walking around is "Fight All." A circle expands out from around your character and you can fight all of the groups of monsters within it at once.

* The trick with "Fight All" is that some monsters don't like other monsters. If you get two groups that don't like each other in the same battle, they may start fighting each other rather than you. One of the achievements is "Start 100 Monster Fights," you may have noticed, as well as one to fight 10 or more groups at once and beat them all!

* Exactly how powering up Shadows works is unclear right now, no status screen availible in the demo, but it seems they have a variety of categories that you can power up. One of these is "Barrier." A barrier called the "Bari- Barrier" allows you to automatically defeat enemies on the map without having to go into battle with them, if they are a certain number of levels lower than you are. This should cut down on pointless random battling (see Mother 2). You also still recieve points needed to powerup your Shadows from killing enemies like this.

* The main feature that made the battle system at TGS unique was the ability to charge moves. When you select certain attacks a bar appears with where each of the other characters in battle (both ally and enemy) will move marked on it. But holding down the button you can charge the attack up, increasing its damage but pushing the point at which the attack will activate beyond other characters turns. So the attack comes out later but is more powerful. In the footage I saw of someone else playing the demo this bar appears on the screen a few times when they select an attack, but they don't seem to know how to use it and never charge it up.

* No game in the next generation has depeicted drama to this extent.

* One goal that couldn't be achieved until now was to totally realize the world of Toriyama.

* Playtime is stated at being 40 ~ 50 hours. Sakaguchi says that going directly through the game still takes him 35 hours.

* There are 9 categories of Shadow, which can be changed freely at any time. Shadows and characters have different levels and need different experiance to level up. The Bari-Barrier which I mentioned before still gives you Shadow experience, but not much character experience, which is how they balanced that.

* Whilst character experience required for new levels continues to go up with each level, like a standard RPG, Shadow rank experience doesn't. So once you get the Bari-Barrier you can go back to the first dungeon, run around and rank up loads.

* Equipped skills to your Shadows gives you a great deal of variety. You can get a maximum of 11 skill slots and many skills combine together - e.g. create a magical sword attack that both steals and can be charged up, absorbs HP and MP and sometimes kills in one hit.

* The interviewer asks is this level of freedom <certainly sounds insanely powerful> made balancing the game hard. Sakaguchi replies that the staff would keep on coming back to him saying "this combination of skills makes it super easy!". He would get mad but doesn't believe in making the skills weaker, so they adjusted enemy strength instead.

* Plenty of little side games and stuff included. Once you can ride in the Mekkat (I guess the flying ship seen in the videos) you can travel to numerous places. Free download content is planned, the first from around New Year, and it sounds like these will be new locations to travel to.

* Sakaguchi even took part in adjusting the content of treasure chests. There are around 500 regular chests and around 5000 more searchable locations in the game. Sakaguchi wants the player to have fun with these - e.g. originally searching Zora's bathtub awarded 10 gold. He added +30 exp on there as well.

* Sequal is all but confirmed, but not actually officially confirmed, for Xbox 360.

****ing amazing. The game's way deeper than the media/info released thus far would have me believe. I CANNOT WAIT ANYMORE. US Release Date plzthxdmn.

rostocker said:

Yes.

reriel

rostocker said:
Famitsu most wanted charts

pos. title system developer votes
1. (1 / 1) Final Fantasy XIII PS3 Square Enix 1.765
2. (3 / 3) Blue Dragon Xbox 360 Microsoft 1.664
3. (2 / 2) Biohazard 5 PS3 Capcom 1.277
source: www.gamefront.de

woohoo, Blue Dragon rocks! :D

even lost odyssey it's up

11. (22/23) Lost Odyssey Xbox 360 Microsoft 525

Top Bottom