• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blue Reflection Steam storescreens at 720p, hilarity ensues [Supports 4K, 144FPS]

Karuto

This is going to have another insane twist like "oh, sorry, our RPGsite PC screenshots were in 720p and then resized and we didn't realize".

I can't keep up.

I just want to clarify as the person who wrote the review - the screenshots on the article are assets from Koei Tecmo themselves. I played the game in full screen at 1080p and noticed aliasing and other quality issues, but I could have been conflating an iffy port with that support ticket response. Please don't take this as me doing some sort of scientific analysis. Apologies if I misled anyone.

ezodagrom

So everything was a misunderstanding more or less and I can go ahead and buy the game on PC?
It's not fully on par with PS4 graphically (mostly shadows and/or ambient occlusion issues), but it's a better port than Atelier Firis (and also better than PS4 performance wise if you have the hardware for it).

BigEmil

Note he said he took those screenshots from a Youtube video for the PS4 version

It would be better to wait for PS4 version to release here and people take png screenshots from that to compare

Eusis

I don't think that was ever the assumption in this thread. Assets were assumed to be 720p.
Which is still kind of bullshit if there are assets made for 1080p displays used in the PS4 version but not here, but it'd seem like one of the better ports in that even if the assets are "last gen" (though it seems to look like they're hard to distinguish here) the performance is fine. That's kind of always been TK's issue though, they go for the LCD when it shouldn't be necessary on PC and end up treating it like a last gen console when it's potentially a next gen console.

Well, and you have to fiddle with the .ini for basic resolution options.

ezodagrom

Which is still kind of bullshit if there are assets made for 1080p displays used in the PS4 version but not here, but it'd seem like one of the better ports in that even if the assets are "last gen" (though it seems to look like they're hard to distinguish here) the performance is fine. That's kind of always been TK's issue though, they go for the LCD when it shouldn't be necessary on PC and end up treating it like a last gen console when it's potentially a next gen console.

Well, and you have to fiddle with the .ini for basic resolution options.
Assets seem to be fine actually, it seems like PC version may be using the same assets as PS4.

Luminaire

Note he said he took those screenshots from a Youtube video for the PS4 version

It would be better to wait for PS4 version to release here and people take png screenshots from that to compare

My PS4 version ahould be here today so I'll see if I can do some captures from the system as well as my capture card.

It's not fully on par with PS4 graphically (mostly shadows and/or ambient occlusion issues), but it's a better port than Atelier Firis (and also better than PS4 performance wise if you have the hardware for it).

Well that's a bit unfortunate but nothing too bad I guess. I have a 3570k @ 4.4ghz and a GTX 1070 so I'm sure I could handle it alright at 1440p 60fps I would hope, if not 1080p would also be fine.

I'm going to wait a day to see what people say the more they played it I guess.

ezodagrom

Well that's a bit unfortunate but nothing too bad I guess. I have a 3570k @ 4.4ghz and a GTX 1070 so I'm sure I could handle it alright at 1440p 60fps I would hope, if not 1080p would also be fine.

I'm going to wait a day to see what people say the more they played it I guess.
On Steam's community hub, someone with a GTX 1070 could play it at 4K with framerate drops (with DOF disabled), so I assume that 1440p should be fine.

Happy to hear that this was nothing more than a misunderstanding!! Still going to stick with my PS4 physical copy (stupid collector's mentality), but I'm happy knowing that my PC brethren are not stuck with a Firis type of port.

Now to find out whether or not the game is worth double dipping.

sprinkles

Happy to hear that this was nothing more than a misunderstanding!! Still going to stick with my PS4 physical copy (stupid collector's mentality), but I'm happy knowing that my PC brethren are not stuck with a Firis type of port.

Now to find out whether or not the game is worth double dipping.
I ended up buying the PS4 version as well (it was 10 € cheaper than on Steam), but I am glad the PC version is not totally broken.

kromeo

This has to be the worst value for money season pass I've ever seen, it's just a few costume sets and an unspecified special event, probably a hot springs scene or similar shit

This has to be the worst value for money season pass I've ever seen, it's just a few costume sets and an unspecified special event, probably a hot springs scene or similar shit
AND almost all of those costumes are swimsuits.
You already can get one swimsuit costume in the game so buying more just seems like a total waste of money.

Tohsaka

I know there's an amusement park and something else, can't remember what.

Are hud elements stretched, do they stay in their original 16:9 position, or are they properly moved for 21:9? Also, do you know if prerendered cutscenes are stretched or pillarboxed?

just tested first few minutes, both HUD and prerendered cutscenes are stretched.

Aomber

And just like that a meme was born, and we hope you will accept this.

Seriously though, 720p in 2017 - are there even any lowest tier laptops that use that resolution natively?

BajiBoxer

Banned
Haha Christ, for the cost of that "Season Pass" I could buy a bikini or two a lot nicer than that

Holy shit, $80!:

BLUE REFLECTION: Sailor Swimsuits Complete Set
BLUE REFLECTION: Arland Maid Costume for Yuzu
BLUE REFLECTION: Arland Maid Costume for Lime
BLUE REFLECTION: Summer Outing Complete Set
BLUE REFLECTION: Bath Towels Complete Set
BLUE REFLECTION: Vacation Style Complete Set
BLUE REFLECTION: Special Event

Those sailor swimsuits look like shit too, even compared to the typical crappy fan-service costumes you normally see.

Momentary

Banned
After reading reviews of the port, I'm staying away until a price drop. Not dealing with their crap again.

The game could be tolerable for some though. There are no graphical options, but you can adjust the .ini file to increase resolution.

Battlechili

Banned
Those sailor swimsuits look like shit too, even compared to the typical crappy fan-service costumes you normally see.
I beg to differ. Those will probably be the only DLC costumes I buy anytime soon. Those swimsuits are nice imo and much better than all the other costumes. Though the free standard swimsuit DLC on that page is still the best of them all.

Eusis

This whole time I thought this game was 2D? Why so much talk about resolution tied to assets then?
UI assets can be made for lower resolution displays. It shows at times, think of when the 360 or Nintendo UIs are scaled up to 1080p even if the games themselves can run at 1080p.

Also potentially, lower quality textures. Not strictly a resolution thing but still a possibility.

I've reported most if not all potential issues that have been mentioned here and steam discussions to our development team. They are currently looking into the problems and working on finding fixes.

Falk

that puzzling face
I've reported most if not all potential issues that have been mentioned here and steam discussions to our development team. They are currently looking into the problems and working on finding fixes.

Would you consider signing off all your GAF posts with "We hope you will accept this" from now on?

Pretty please?

;_;

Much appreciated, haha. Going through Firis on Steam now and the issues with that... aren't insignificant, so this is a great step forward

In all honesty has Tecmo Koei ever fixed one of their steam ports, bought dragon quest heroes 2 on sale a few days ago and it was a hot mess and never been patched.

In all honesty has Tecmo Koei ever fixed one of their steam ports, bought dragon quest heroes 2 on sale a few days ago and it was a hot mess and never been patched.

They fixed a really serious error with one of the Atelier ports. But their PC support record is generally not good no.

PaulSane

Would you consider signing off all your GAF posts with "We hope you will accept this" from now on?

Well, you could always change their tag
and hope that they will accept this
:p

Also, it's nice to hear that the bugs are being looked into, i haven't encountered any severe ones yet, but i'm not that far into the game.

ezodagrom

Crash issues take priority, of course, but, if they do try to fix visual issues as well (though since Atelier Sophie and Firis visual issues were never fixed, I guess these will be ignored as well in Blue Reflection), I think the bigger ones are the poor shadows and ambient occlusion, and the low quality FMVs.

Shadows and ambient occlusion wise, this comparison is made from youtube videos so their quality isn't great, but it's enough to tell the difference:
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/118867
Shadows overall just look better in the PS4 version, and there's also what I assume is poor ambient occlusion in the doors and door windows in the right?

Same with the lights at the top in this shot:
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/118526

There's even scenes with missing shadows in a PC version (bottom left):
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/118533

As a side note, if the dev team doesn't ignore visual issues in the PC version for once...
Could they go back and fix Atelier Firis? :<

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/118869
PS4 has much more natural lighting, and PC has much worse bloom (lamp) and is missing ambient occlusion... PC just looks so much flatter in comparison to PS4.
And then there's also weird shadows issues.

Top Bottom