• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BO 07•01-03•16 - Tarzan-a-doodoo can't Purge Dory, BFG = BOMBA FAIL GOOSE-EGG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rydeen

Maybe Dahl is not popular in America or something.
Incorrect, Dahl is/was very popular in the U.S. as well, I think it's more of an English speaking world versus non English speaking countries. I can't imagine Dahl's word play and use of English being understood particularly well in non English speaking countries. If anything, it's also a generational thing. I'm in my late 20's, and Roald Dahl's books were very popular in grade school, but I can imagine people just a decade younger not being very familiar with his work.

Also, I have to admit the marketing for the movie was essentially non-existent in the U.S. and a movie like The BFG is not a good fit for the 4th of July weekend, it really should've been a holiday release. Seems like there was a lot of studio politics involved in this one getting left stranded.

GhaleonEB

Freeza spent a long time writing the post below in last week's thread which should probably be left to die.

Moving it here so it doesn't get buried.

I disagree with some of your points. There are still a lot of R-Rated films, and a good number of them still push the envelope each year. I think the major difference is that none of these films are Top 10 of the year material like they might have been in the 1970s or 80s. American Sniper was so surprising because we don't expect adult films (even if you consider that a sanitized adult film) to make blockbuster money any more.

I also think that there have always been sanitized children's films with easy to digest messages. We just tend to forget a lot of them over time.

One of my favorite films as a little kid was the Original Land Before Time. The film is now 28 years old, but there's nothing in it that requires a child to think anymore than they would when watching Finding Dory.
Heh. I wrote up a reply as well, but I didn't post it as it was sparked by a film he did not see, Finding Dory. I though it had a pretty nuanced message about coping with disability and so isn't a good example of what he was talking about at all.

One of the reasons I love the film Coraline is it reminds me of the films I enjoyed as a kid, such as The Secret of NIMH and The Dark Crystal. Those films were very dark - they had teeth, I like to say - but Coraline is evidence they still happen. Just not quite as often.

Freeza spent a long time writing the post below in last week's thread which should probably be left to die.

Moving it here so it doesn't get buried.

wait, how do you know I spent- *looks at time between posts* goddammit. I really need to learn how to type faster. Then again, it keeps my shitposting ratio down by a ton.

Honestly I went straight from user cp to that thread instead of checking for the new one. Probably should do that in the future.

I disagree with some of your points. There are still a lot of R-Rated films, and a good number of them still push the envelope each year. I think the major difference is that none of these films are Top 10 of the year material like they might have been in the 1970s or 80s. American Sniper was so surprising because we don't expect adult films (even if you consider that a sanitized adult film) to make blockbuster money any more.

Agreed, but that was kind of wrapped into "intellectual fringes", under the assumption those don't enter the BO very often. But just using the top 10 is a better metric to go by, obviously. I have not seen American Sniper though.

I also think that there have always been sanitized children's films with easy to digest messages. We just tend to forget a lot of them over time.

One of my favourite films as a little kid was the Original Land Before Time. The film is now 28 years old, but there's nothing in it that requires a child to think anymore than they would when watching Finding Dory.

Also fair, but it would take a lot of effort to compare this kind of movie specifically for each year. Especially with that particular franchise (and those like it) switching over entirely to home releases so it's very hard to assess how big and far-reaching that underground ocean is. I don't have kids, so I don't have an immediate insight into that.

But I also feel that the Don Bluth movies have a certain lack of efficiency to them, and that's not a negative point. Obviously being hand-drawn is a huge factor in that, but there is both space and time in them for something that is not a well-oiled efficient story progress shot. The sequence of flatfoot and his dying mother for instance would be waaaaay shorter today to not have kids wallow in the event (compare with the attack sequence in Finding Nemo, for instance). Except of course that this what happens in real life anyway. Death is heavy on the heart. A clean, short, efficient shot would never have that verisimilitude to life that filmmakers look for. So ironically a very efficiently delivered story can actually diminish the depths of that story, in my opinion (and going by that now removed interview with James Cameron, James Cameron with his two second longer cuts versus the average). You can often feel that in how clean the environments in CG movies are, where even though they have abundant details and denseness, they still are 'productive shots' in the sense that they are a little 'too' overdesigned. Dreamworks animations in particular are ridden with this disease. Like watching a pie-chart in an PowerPoint presentation in a boardroom. The kind of room you walk by and instantly know you should not enter it at any cost. Pixar tries to avoid this (particularly in Wall-E), but can never get away from it entirely because they have to be efficient in how they present their story. What I think gets lost in there is the mind's eye, the feel(-ing) of things if you will. Not a feeling that is given (productive shot), but a feeling that has to be found and can be multiple choice and multiple at the same time.

And that's where Roald Dahl stories are very different from other kids novels at the very least, and where I can maintain that when we grew up we were not yet entrenched in a continuous production of these types of movies, or its type of delivery / presentation. I didn't see Dahl movies, I read the books, including BFG where I believe the term 'BFG' was actually a plot element for the main child character to figure what it meant or get the giant to tell him (her? Was it a girl? Seriously, it's been nearly three decades since I read it, I don't recall) what it meant. So the title of the movie at least makes sense, despite its rather unfortunate overlap with DOOM as it exists in our culture now.

Btw, I completely forgot that Fantastic Mr. Fox is one of his too. Anderson's movie (who tends to have busy / dense frames, which is worth pointing out in this context) is a wonderful adaptation too. And it also, according to BoxOfficeMojo, barely made more than its budget (46 mil BO to 40 mil budget). I don't think my intuition is (all) wrong on all this, even if I can't really express it correctly.

One of the reasons I love the film Coraline is it reminds me of the films I enjoyed as a kid, such as The Secret of NIMH and The Dark Crystal. Those films were very dark - they had teeth, I like to say - but Coraline is evidence they still happen. Just not quite as often.

To quote Samurai Cop: "Bingo."

jmood88

I am quite surprised to read that not many Gaffers are familiar with BFG. Its one of the Dahl's famous stories and even if you haven't read it/ read to you by you parents, you know the story by osmosis since everyone around me knew it. There was even plays in my school and even reading sessions when I was younger.

Maybe Dahl is not popular in America or something.
Nah, that's not true at all.

Violet_0

Banned
they should have let Wes Anderson direct BFG using stop-motion animation again. Now, I don't know if Fantastic Mr. Fox was a big commercial hit (I'm assuming it did decently), but it's easily the best Dahl adaption that we got yet
Btw, I completely forgot that Fantastic Mr. Fox is one of his too. Anderson's movie (who tends to have busy / dense frames, which is worth pointing out in this context) is a wonderful adaptation too. And it also, according to BoxOfficeMojo, barely made more than its budget (46 mil BO to 40 mil budget). I don't think my intuition is (all) wrong on all this, even if I can't really express it correctly.
alright, that's just criminal

Busty

Banned
I had a feeling that Tarzan could do $40m over four days but even I'm surprised that the film could crawl to a $45M+ opening (over four days) when everything is said and done.

This puts WB in a weirdly unique situation. If this film has legs (with an A audience score) and finds itself with a $100m+ gross in the US it and a solid showing internationally could the studio think about a sequel?

If this film cost $100m then it would be an obvious green light, but it didn't. So the question then becomes what number at the box office would make Warners comfortable enough to make a Tarzan sequel that would A) almost certainly cheaper than the first film and B) without David Yates directing given his 'Fantastic Beasts' trilogy commitment.

Of course it's also possible that Warners will just see this as a near miss and leave it at one film given how many other potential franchises (Dungeons and Dragons, Minecraft etc) that they'll want to get into production in the next couple of years.

But if the film does well in ancillary markets and given how Margot Robbie's profile is about to explode with Harley Quinn across multiple DCU films it's not impossible that Warners could want a sequel if they have her under contract.

All in all it's really interesting to see how this is going to pan out in the next couple of weeks.

they should have let Wes Anderson direct BFG using stop-motion animation again. Now, I don't know if Fantastic Mr. Fox was a big commercial hit (I'm assuming it did decently), but it's easily the best Dahl adaption that we got yet

alright, that's just criminal

It's primarily Fox's fault the film did poorly. They released it on Thanksgiving weekend with barely any marketing whatsoever. The result was it getting steamrolled by The Blind Side and Twilight: New Moon.

kswiston

It's primarily Fox's fault the film did poorly. They released it on Thanksgiving weekend with barely any marketing whatsoever. The result was it getting steamrolled by The Blind Side and Twilight: New Moon.

Some of it is Wes Anderson, whose style is pretty niche. His films are always favourites of mine, but until Grand Budapest found unqualified success a couple of years back, his all time high was The Royal Tenenbaums at $71M worldwide. His next three films in a row after that either flopped or failed to break even at the box office.

If the Purge movies can keep this up, it will be another Saw series. Cheap to produce, enough story to make it somewhat interesting, and easily profitable.

Apt101

I wonder if Warcraft will get a sequel. $422m on $160m prod budget, but will probably settle at $46m domestic. They should have kept the narrative tighter and went with Arthas's story - the foreign market still would have eaten it up and it would have looked more appealing to US audiences. I thought it was OK but I really don't want or need to see where the story as it is in the film goes from here. Maybe if they do make a sequel they can jump ahead several decades. Oh well.

Surprised that The Legend of Tarzan is projected to pull $38m over the four day weekend. It's probably still going to bomb but at least not as badly as everyone thought.

border

I had a feeling that Tarzan could do $40m over four days but even I'm surprised that the film could crawl to a $45M+ opening (over four days) when everything is said and done.

This puts WB in a weirdly unique situation. If this film has legs (with an A audience score) and finds itself with a $100m+ gross in the US it and a solid showing internationally could the studio think about a sequel?

If they somehow manage not to lose a ton of money on a $180 million dollar Tarzan movie, they should just thank their lucky stars and move on. When you dodge a bullet like that you should not immediately be asking how quickly the gun can be reloaded.

3N16MA

Banned
Heh. I wrote up a reply as well, but I didn't post it as it was sparked by a film he did not see, Finding Dory. I though it had a pretty nuanced message about coping with disability and so isn't a good example of what he was talking about at all.

Films like Coraline will always be around because they target a slightly different market. It's a PG rated film and in the same category as Corpse Bride and Monsters House.

For the most part children's films have been G rated and not too dark, complex, or violent. This dates back to the 90's, 80's, 70's and hasn't really changed. I'm not sure if PG rated children's films are more or less common today then they were 30 years ago.

I believe we're currently in a better place compared to 30 years ago when it comes to major animated films. Better story telling that leads to better films and that makes it more enjoyable for adults (and kids).

PSqueak

Banned
A silent salute to Zootopia which finally lost its spot in the top 20.

(; . ;)7

Was the book even that popular? I am legitimately asking. I had never heard of it before the movie.

it was several decades ago, i have heard it was one of Dahl's most popular but nowadays is overshadowed by charlie and the chocolate factory, the witches, and Matilda.

BumRush

I just don't think the art style (odd mixture of CG and real life) is appealing to human eyes. It really just comes down to that.

Tarzan is not the bombs WB wanted, but it's the bombs they deserve. The movie has bomb written all over it from the get-go, why waste 180 fucking millions?! Even the ad campaign was pathetic, they were banking on Skarsgard abs so hard it's cringworthy. In every interview it's all about his tough workout routine and how "crazy" his body looks..well, people didn't go nuts over 300 just for the man meat.

The only Dahl story I ever read as a child was James and the Giant Peach. Never heard of the BFG. Either it's very regional in its saturation or everyone I know just blanked it from their memories.

Oh yeah. The embargo is over.

Mike and Dave need Wedding Dates. WTF the title? One of the shittiest movies I've ever seen. I didn't like Central Intelligence, but it feels like a masterpiece compared to Mike and Dave. Horrible, awful, annoying, wanna-be-rude, waste of time. And just like CI, I laughed zero times. Unfunny, unintelligent, un-everything. Antimovie. Turns viewers into zombies.

0/5

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Oh yeah. The embago is over.

Mike and Dave need Wedding Dates. WTF the title? One of the shittiest movies I've ever seen. I didn't like Central Intelligence, but it feels like a masterpiece compared to Mike and Dave. Horrible, awful, annoying, wanna-be-rude, waste of time. And just like CI, I laughed zero times. Unfunny, unintelligent, un-everything. Antimovie. Makes viewers into zombies.

0/5

It looks terrible, and Zac needs to make better career choices. Another musical pls. Ok thanks

Some of it is Wes Anderson, whose style is pretty niche. His films are always favourites of mine, but until Grand Budapest found unqualified success a couple of years back, his all time high was The Royal Tenenbaums at $71M worldwide. His next three films in a row after that either flopped or failed to break even at the box office.

Moonrise Kingdom did well, too. It had a $16 million budget and made $68 million worldwide, $45 million of which was in the US. I'd call that a solid hit and I consider its success a big reason why The Grand Budapest Hotel did as well as it did. But man was The Life Aquatic a bomb.

Oh yeah. The embago is over.

Mike and Dave need Wedding Dates. WTF the title? One of the shittiest movies I've ever seen. I didn't like Central Intelligence, but it feels like a masterpiece compared to Mike and Dave. Horrible, awful, annoying, wanna-be-rude, waste of time. And just like CI, I laughed zero times. Unfunny, unintelligent, un-everything. Antimovie. Turns viewers into zombies.

0/5

I feel like Zac Effron needs Channing Tatum's agent. I can see the potential in Efron. He can be charming when he's playing counter to his looks, but I've yet to see him in a film I really liked him in.

And yeah, Mike and Dave looks awful.

kswiston

$8M+ for Dory on Tuesday. Summer weekdays are beastly for that film.

Third highest third Tuesday ever after the first Hobbit (which was New Years Day) and Chronicles of Narnia.

Also, after today Dory would have to make less than Toy Story 3 in the remainder of its run to miss $500M domestic.

BumRush

Third highest third Tuesday ever after the first Hobbit (which was New Years Day) and Chronicles of Narnia.

Also, after today Dory would have to make less than Toy Story 3 in the remainder of its run to miss $500M domestic.

$500M domestic for a cartoon...crazy

I just bought 8 tickets for Sunday

3N16MA

Banned
$500M domestic for a cartoon...crazy

I just bought 8 tickets for Sunday

Probably not too crazy for Dory considering Nemo did 340M 13 years ago and another 41M with the 3D release. However 500M is still impressive.

Speaking of Nemo, Dory surpassed its total domestic haul (original/3D) on Monday. It's going to beat Avatar to 400M DOM (22 days).

Rydeen

BFG is a good movie.. People have no taste.
Agreed, it's the kind of family movie Hollywood used to make, and now that Spielberg makes one instead of people getting behind him and supporting it, he's getting called out of touch, smh.

guek

Banned
I know Civil War is old news at this point but I've been continuing to follow it to see if it'll beat IM3 domestic. It's super close at this point with less than $50k between them launch aligned with Civil War ahead and about $3.5M away from overtaking IM3. I don't know how much gas is left in that tank though.

rSpooky

Agreed, it's the kind of family movie Hollywood used to make, and now that Spielberg makes one instead of people getting behind him and supporting it, he's getting called out of touch, smh.

I hope it will get some recognition when out on bluray/digital at least.
maybe it is too slow for people/kids these days?? My kids LOVED it... off course they also love books ...so perhaps they deal with slow pacing better.

I saw The Secret Life of Pets earlier this week and new Ice Age today.

Pets is really funny if you're a pet owner. I liked it quite a lot. 4/5.

Ice Age was dubbed, poorly. Didn't like it that much. I tried my best to look beyond the dreadful dubs, but it was still a dissappointment. I really hated few of the characters, some really outdated stereotypes ("hey duuuuuuuude" and the hippie type). Good looking flick though. They should just kill the franchise. 2/5.

BFG is a good movie.. People have no taste.

It really is. I have no idea why people are dissing it. I doubt they haven't even seen it.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
The first mistake was naming it 'BFG'

A million times this. Every time I saw a trailer for it I kept saying this to my wife. It's an awful name and the marketing was also rather shit up until the final 2 weeks. The trailers always sucked and never really explained the premise of the film, either.

I predicted both Tarzan and BFG would bomba hard. And they did. Anybody could've seen this coming from a mile away.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Oh yeah. The embargo is over.

0/5

Between the three theater trailers for the movie, it literally gives you an exact idea of everything the entire movie is about and spoils every single funny bit. They seriously left nothing off the table, the entire movie was ruined by the ads.

Basically the polar opposite of my BFG rant in the previous post. Haha

3N16MA

Banned
Early number is 6.4M Wednesday for Dory. This film has amazing weekday numbers (even if it is summer).

That Wednesday has to be a top 3 third Wednesday.

Multiplier 23 days after OW

Dory -2.93
IO - 2.91
TS3 - 2.85

TS3 went on to gross another 102M and IO 94M. Both faced competition from an Illumination film (DM, Minions). TS3 legs gets Dory to 509M and IO legs gets it to 534M.

wachie

Early number is 6.4M Wednesday for Dory. This film has amazing weekday numbers (even if it is summer).

That Wednesday has to be a top 3 third Wednesday.

Multiplier 23 days after OW

Dory -2.93
IO - 2.91
TS3 - 2.85

TS3 went on to gross another 102M and IO 94M. Both faced competition from an Illumination film (DM, Minions). TS3 legs gets Dory to 509M and IO legs gets it to 534M.
I initially said it might end up a hair under TDK, if it keeps going like this it might end up over.

kswiston

Tarzan will easily clear $100M domestic after a set of strong weekdays.

Dory becomes the biggest film of the year domestically tomorrow.

Miker

Secret Life of Pets is opening in 4,369 theaters, the 5th widest opening of all time.

The trades seem to all be in alignment with tracking ($75-80M), but I'm feeling like it will surprise and top $90M.

I have this and Sing confused. Doesn't help that neither of them look particularly inspired. I've also seen a trailer for something called Storks recently, and that looked like a hot mess. It's getting to a point where I'm just not interested in animated stuff that's not from Disney.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom